PDA

View Full Version : THIS IS GROSS... poor kittens...

belterv
11-26-2006, 05:56 PM
I was talking on another forum and someone was saying that people were using KITTENS as snake food :eek: :mad: :( POOR THINGS!!!!!!!

Catty1
11-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Can you find out where this is happening? Whoever is doing it should be reported! :mad:

catmandu
11-26-2006, 06:00 PM
And in Europe they have Found People who have long haired Ctas who they raise, and then kill and skin to sell as Fur Coats, and Wraps.
This is gross, and the laws against animal cruelty are not enforced enough.
Lets hope that these creeps, to whom money means everything will one day face divine retribution.

momcat
11-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Right now there is steam coming out of my ears!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I generally don't have a problem with people keeping snakes as pets though I choose not to. There must be a better way of feeding them rather than kittens! Sorry, the steam is clouding up the monitor.....

catnapper
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Yup, there is a guy within 10 minutes of here who does that. He loves Craigslist and the local "free to a good home" advertisements. He makes it sound like he's the best cat daddy in the world, and the kittens go to his snake. :mad:

Catty1
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Belterv - do you have any idea where this is happening? What city or town?

I am sure the authorities could track down a snake owner quite easily, if they took a bit of time.

I tried out at a pet store, one day on the job - and a couple of people came in to buy the little mice to feed their snakes. Ugh. Even that I couldn't take...

I bet this person does NOT get the kittens from a pet shop...they would wonder why she/he is getting so many.

Please try and find something out; I will be happy to write a letter to whoever is in charge, wherever they are.

QueenScoopalot
11-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Yup, there is a guy within 10 minutes of here who does that. He loves Craigslist and the local "free to a good home" advertisements. He makes it sound like he's the best cat daddy in the world, and the kittens go to his snake. :mad:
That's why when I can I call idiots with "Free Kitten" ads and tell them they should take the kittens to a shelter and get a spay voucher for the mother cat. Fighting dogs are recipients of free kittens as well. :mad: Secretive stuff like this will never go away as litters of kittens will not end either. :(
Catty 1 this is happening all over the world sad to say. :rolleyes:

Catty1
11-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I realize that...I thought that in this instance, it might be one isolated idiot who could be tracked...*sigh*. Idiots!

I will post this information on our local Pets list; it adds more incentive to spay and neuter.

Might save a life or two...

CathyBogart
11-26-2006, 07:41 PM
*sigh*

Kittens, being carnivorous animals themselves, are very poor nutrition for a snake. Snake owners who use carnivorous animals such as kittens or puppies for snake food will end up with sickly snakes.

momcat
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Any chance of getting this creepazoid on the Do Not Adopt list?

Catty1
11-26-2006, 08:27 PM
The last I heard about the Craigslist creep was that he had been caught by the law...and then escaped to Florida to carry on his sick practice!

Suki Wingy
11-27-2006, 05:10 PM
In a way, it's not too different than rabbits. BUT what I didn't know-->

*sigh*

Kittens, being carnivorous animals themselves, are very poor nutrition for a snake. Snake owners who use carnivorous animals such as kittens or puppies for snake food will end up with sickly snakes.

Ok, so there's no excuse for that guy. Why kittens when you can use rabbits or rodents? :rolleyes:

CathyBogart
11-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, so there's no excuse for that guy. Why kittens when you can use rabbits or rodents? :rolleyes:

Simply for the shock value. There are almost as many free rabbits on Craigslist as there are kittens, if he really wanted to go that route.

buttercup132
11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
They dot he same with bunnies. There is a guy who feeds his snakes rabbits (he owns a reptile store) and he said that he was called on by animal aid and they said he couldnt do it so now he said he hs to secretly do it. He did it when the store was open too and people were cheering on the snake. It was so upsetting. I havn't gone back there since...

All those supid people who put free to loving home don't know there animals are going to be snake food.

It's sad yes but I dont get why they can't feed poultry instead of PETS to feed their snakes.

Kfamr
11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't know much about snake nutrition, but it's not different than someone feeding a rabbit, mouse, rat, etc. to a snake. They are all living beings and have just as much right to live on this earth as a kitten does.

I know many people who feed whole rabbits, chicken, guinea pigs, etc to their dogs on the raw diet. There's nothing wrong with it, either.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Kfamr, there is a difference... Kittens are illegal to harm (animal cruelty laws), rats and mice are Legal to buy and feed, atleast in NC. And I do think there is ALOT wrong with it. Poor kittens :(
BUT I do not think any one animal is different than another.

Kfamr
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
What I meant was that I don't see it any more/less gross or wrong than feeding other animals to a snake that may be legal. I'm not sure of the laws reguarding feeding kittens to other animals. The only difference may be the laws and wether or not the kitten serves any nutritional value to a snake.

Hopefully you get what I am trying to say. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
11-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I do ;)

CathyBogart
11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
[b]It's sad yes but I dont get why they can't feed poultry instead of PETS to feed their snakes.

Do a little research on snakes and you will "get" it....most snakes don't do well on birds either. A very narrow margin of snake species will thrive on birds, and many of them aren't commonly kept in captivity.

I also agree with Kay in that I, personally, don't see how it is any worse to feed one species than another. Honestly, I think the mouse or the chicken values its life just as much as the puppy or kitten does.

Sophist
11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't go around telling too many pt'ers than rabbits, rats, and birds aren't 'pets' and don't deserve to live just as much as a kitten does.

I would also like to point out that reptile keepers have been plagued by rumors of this sort of thing happening "all the time!" Does anyone have any proof that the craigslist guy isn't just some troll trying to stir up animal lovers by bringing up an urban legend AGAIN? In my experience, the emails I get about things like this tend to kind of fizzle out into totally unverifiable internet rumor after a bit of investigation. I am not saying it has never happened, just that it isn't fair or realistic to think every free kitten ad will be read by a snake-mommy like me who will instantly begin rubbing her hands greedily at the thought of saving a whole 75 cents or so on a frozen rat.

belterv
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
No, I have no idea where this idiot is located.

*shutters* Report him. I cant report this person I heard of because I have no idea where he is or who he is. You should buy the kittens from him and then find them homes or at least take them to the humane society or SOMETHING.

:mad: :mad:

Twisterdog
11-30-2006, 12:31 AM
I don't know much about snake nutrition, but it's not different than someone feeding a rabbit, mouse, rat, etc. to a snake. They are all living beings and have just as much right to live on this earth as a kitten does.

I know many people who feed whole rabbits, chicken, guinea pigs, etc to their dogs on the raw diet. There's nothing wrong with it, either.

I have to agree, Kfamr. A snake has to eat. Just like every other living creature has to eat. I honestly see no difference in feeding a snake a kitten, and feeding it a rabbit. There IS no difference.

Now, I personally couldn't do it. NO WAY could I do it. That's why I don't own a big snake. We own a little tree snake that eats crickets. Bugs I can sacrifice, no problem. But a mouse or a rabbit or a kitten? No way. But, do I think it's wrong of snake owners to do it? Of course not ... what's the alternative, to let the snake starve? That's not right either, to be sure.

Now, I think it is terribly wrong to LIE about what you are going to do with the rabbit, kitten, mouse, etc. It's very sad and unethical to make someone believe you are going to give their animal a good home, then feed it to a snake. But, in our county, and I'm sure in every county in the country, animals are specifically bred for food for reptiles. And, dozens or hundreds (depending on the size of your city) of kittens are probably euthanized at shelters and animal controls daily. Anyone can "adopt" a cat or kitten at our county animal control here for $1, no questions asked ... because in 24 hours it's going to be killed anyway. That is most certainly not the fault of a reptile owner, it is the fault of irresponsible cat owners who did not alter their cats.

The world of animals is a harsh place. The circle of life, the food chain ... one dies so another may live.

Twisterdog
11-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Kfamr, there is a difference... Kittens are illegal to harm (animal cruelty laws), rats and mice are Legal to buy and feed, atleast in NC. And I do think there is ALOT wrong with it. Poor kittens :(
BUT I do not think any one animal is different than another.

I know where I live, it is illegal to torture a kitten to death. Just like it would be illegal to torture a rabbit or a mouse to death. Cruelty to animals is what is against the law. Killing an animal is not against the law.

I'm not sure how humane a death the animals fed to snakes is. Like I said, I couldn't do it, and I sure couldn't watch it. But, simply killing a cat or dog is not illegal, if you own it. You can have your pet euthanized, and that's legal. So I'm quite sure humanely killing kittens to feed them to a snake is quite legal.

And, I know it's harsh ... but why do you think there is "ALOT" wrong with a carnivore eating to live? Should all predators die of starvation then? Cats and dogs eat other animals to live to, albeit in a non-offensive kibble bag. People could say it's just as wrong for a pet dog or cat to eat chickens, lambs and cows as it is for a pet snake to eat rabbits, kittens or mice. A predator is a predator is a predator.

It's sad yes but I dont get why they can't feed poultry instead of PETS to feed their snakes.

To some people, chickens, ducks, geese ARE pets. Rabbits are the pets of a LOT of people. So why is one person's rabbit or duck somehow less special and valuable than the next person's kitten? That makes no logical sense.

CathyBogart
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
Twisterdog....you put how I feel abut the issue into words better that I could have imagined it. Thank you. :)

king2005
12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Twisterdog....you put how I feel abut the issue into words better that I could have imagined it. Thank you. :)

I second that!

Its the same here in Canada. You can kill an animal, you just cannot torture it. Its perfectly legal to walk up to an agressive dog & beat it to death with a 2x4. That happened about 10yrs ago or so. A GSD bit a child (fairly baddly too, didn't maul, but the childs face was a mess), the father picked up a 2x4 & killed the dog. The death has to be quick, as in the father couldn't beat the dog near death, walk away to let the dog die.. The father had to keep hitting it until it was dead.

Suki Wingy
12-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Kay and Twister dog said what I was trying to say.

moosmom
12-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Why kittens when you can use rabbits or rodents

:eek: :eek: This is exactly why I adopted my one-eyed rat Winkie. I was putting the ratties in their habitats at the pet store I work at, when I noticed he only had one eye. I asked my manager if anyone would buy a one-eyed rat and she said that she didn't think the snake cared whether or not his dinner had one eye or two. I was totally repulsed and decided right then and there to adopt him and give him a wonderful life with me and my fur (and a bald dude) kids. He is THE most wonderful little guy. Very social (and spoiled). My cats are intrigued by him but they don't bother him.

The guy who feeds live animals to his snake is a jerk. At the pet store I work in, we have "Micecicles" which are dead, frozen mice to feed to snakes. I get a serious attitude whenever someone comes in to buy a rodent for their stinking snake, and try to discourage them. Never works though.

*sigh* At least there's one rattie that ain't gonna be no snake's dinner.

Sophist
12-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Most responsible snake owners would not choose to feed live food to their snakes if at all possible. Even if you have no compassion for the prey, most rodents are surprisingly capable of quickly inflicting quite a bit of damage to a snake when they are frightened. However, there are some snakes out there that no matter what will not take prekilled or frozen/thawed meals. I have 2 rescues that were raised on live, and after trying every trick in the book I still have not been able to make them take anything but live. I won't let these two mistreated and abused animals starve to death simply because I have moral qualms.

It may be an awful situation, but a 'serious attitude' displayed at work may not be the best response. If it is someone who is callous enough to enjoy feeding live, it will only make them more belligerent. If it is someone who is having to choose between letting their pet die or not, whether or not you agree with their decision, I personally don't feel giving them any more guilt or grief is warranted, especially when you are on the clock.

And as far as the food animals' pain or suffering, I think a snake tends to be faster and more efficient at what he does than some of the 'mice-cicle' companies. Some use more responsible methods, but there are also some pet stores and suppliers who simply throw live rodents in the freezer to freeze to death, or deliver blunt trauma and wait for them to stop twitching.

#1Wolflover
12-13-2006, 03:28 PM
:confused: I don't understand how somebody could just hand a sweet kitten to a snake!!! Its just like that teacher who killed babie bunnies in front of a classroom!!! Theres something seriously wrong with them!!!! :mad:

Suki Wingy
12-13-2006, 03:29 PM
:eek: :eek: This is exactly why I adopted my one-eyed rat Winkie. I was putting the ratties in their habitats at the pet store I work at, when I noticed he only had one eye. I asked my manager if anyone would buy a one-eyed rat and she said that she didn't think the snake cared whether or not his dinner had one eye or two. I was totally repulsed and decided right then and there to adopt him and give him a wonderful life with me and my fur (and a bald dude) kids. He is THE most wonderful little guy. Very social (and spoiled). My cats are intrigued by him but they don't bother him.

The guy who feeds live animals to his snake is a jerk. At the pet store I work in, we have "Micecicles" which are dead, frozen mice to feed to snakes. I get a serious attitude whenever someone comes in to buy a rodent for their stinking snake, and try to discourage them. Never works though.

*sigh* At least there's one rattie that ain't gonna be no snake's dinner.
Excuse me. I think I said what you quoted. I have a bunny who I love very much, my dad had rats who I also loved very much. I'm saying what is the difference between a rat and a cat emotionally? I said what you quoted because I think the OP was tying to imply that kittens are higher up/ more important than rats or bunnies. Snakes need to eat too.

#1Wolflover
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
True, weither ur feeding a kitten, mouse, or any species to a snake its all the same. but do you see any snakes eating kittens in the wild?

TamanduaGirl
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
But, in our county, and I'm sure in every county in the country, animals are specifically bred for food for reptiles.

No there is a place in FL where they made it Illegal to buy rodents for reptile food! They have to order from elswhere and or lie at the pet stores and hope for the best.

TamanduaGirl
12-13-2006, 08:16 PM
I had a pet chicken growing up she was really smart and I tought her to sit on command, that looked funny.

I have a pet rabbit now.

I have eaten and will continue to eat both chickens and rabbits just not my pets though when I have land may raise my own for food but they wont be pets.

I don' see the problem either with feeding kittens but they shouldn't be fed alive. They should be euthanized in some way that isn't to cruel or harmful to the snake, like a broken neck. The frozen mice that are fed are gased then frozen by the better mice for food breeders.

If I'm going to eat meat or have a pet that eats meat or even just own a pet I don't see myself having the right to say others shouldn't use animals the way they see fit as long as there is not abuse or cruelty. Feeding live is mean to the kitten but it's also mean to mice and potentialy harmful to the snake in both cases. You only rarely get a snake that will only eat live then, well you do what you must and it is usualy over wuickly for the "prey" but it's really better to feed frozen-thawed "whatever you choose"

It's not actualy illegal here to do that to a kitten. The person isn't dirrectly causing harm to the animal. Cruelty laws are not all encompasing and vary from state to state and cunty to county like most laws. I think they should apply to all animals that they be treated humanely till death even if that happens to be slaughter for humans or fed to a snake intead of old age.

Heck it's been scientificly prooven even plants scream, we just can't hear it. It's the cercle of life and I choose to admit I'm part of it. It's just a shame government says i must be poisoned for the worms with "embaming"