PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy the Stowaway from CBC

Catty1
11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Ziggy the stowaway cat found after 17-day sea voyage from Israel to England
Published: Friday, November 24, 2006 | 5:33 PM ET
Canadian Press

LONDON (AP) - Emerging with a shock of white fur, a cat stunned cargo workers in England as it jumped out of a goods container after a 17-day sea voyage from Israel to Britain, a journey of more than 3,200 kilometres, an animal charity said Friday.

Animal rescue officials said the stowaway was starving and dehydrated when workers at a warehouse in Whitworth, a town in the county of Lancashire, northwestern England, discovered the unexpected cargo last Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/061124/K112402AU.jpg
Undated handout photo made available by the RSPCA of Ziggy.

The workers named the cat Ziggy because of its different-coloured eyes, one green and one blue, like rock singer David Bowie and his alter-ego Ziggy Stardust.

The cat fled when the container was opened, and went into hiding for more than five hours.

"I think he was scared to death. He'd travelled all that way and got to a strange country, and ran for his life," said James Ratcliff, an officer with charity the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The animal charity was called to help and officers discovered the cat by a pool of water on the warehouse roof, said Ratcliff. They used a plate of tuna fish to tempt the cat toward them.

Local trading standards officer Colin Barton said the animal began his journey at a factory in Afula, northern Israel, on Oct. 31, when a container was sealed and taken to the Israeli port of Haifa for shipment.

It arrived in Liverpool, northern England, 10 days later and was taken to the warehouse, where staff had expected to unpack a cargo of plastic goods, he said.

"When the container was finally opened, staff unloading it got a real surprise when this fluffy white cat shot out," Barton said. "I think it has probably used some of its nine lives."

The animal has been tended to by veterinarians and is now being kept at an animal quarantine as officials attempt to trace its owners in Israel, Ratcliff said.

Dorothy39
11-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Thank-You for posting that story. I noticed it earlier this morning, but didn't get a chance to click onto it. That cat is Beautiful!!!!

As usual, I get my daily dose of News on Pet Talk ;)

catmandu
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Quite The World Traveler, I Hope Ziggy Can Now Settle Down Into A Furr Ever Home.