PDA

View Full Version : Staci's DAD needs Prayers ~ Pain *Fixed* ~ Back HOME & Recovering

Cinder & Smoke
11-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Gather 'round for a Pet Talk Prayer Fest for Mr. M - Staci's Dad (and Keegan's GranPaw) ~~~

Mr. M is going in for some pretty http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif Serious Back Sir Jury on Monday,
November 27, 2006.

As previously reported:

My Dad is having a pretty significant back surgery on Monday the 27th.
Please pray that God's hand will guide the surgeons
and this will help with his excrutiating back pain.
THANKS!

He'll be IN the Hospital for several days; then begin a lengthy recovery.
Mrs. M is going to "camp out" in a roll-a-bed in the room with the Patient - so
he'll be in good hands and have a 24 hour Pillow Fluffer!

I'm not sure if the Hospital has an E-Card program or not ...
We need Staci to tell us WHERE he'll be - then I'll see what is available.

Meantime ... Some good ole PT Prayers are sure to help.

Here's hoping for a Successful Sir Jury and a Painless Recovery for Mr. M!! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

/s/ Phred

Karen
11-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Prayers on the way!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Prayers on the way from me. The kitty kids have their paws all crossed too!!!

slick
11-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for posting this Phred. Staci, I'm offering up mega prayers for your Dad and a very smooth sir jury. Like I said before, if you are nice to the nurses you get good drugs. ;) Hopefully we can send some email messages to cheer him up. Staci, does he even know about Pet Talk???

RockyRoad
11-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Staci, I'll be praying for your dad and hoping everything goes well!

shais_mom
11-26-2006, 02:11 PM
oh my :eek:
I had just called my parents for something else and happened to go to PT for something and saw this. So I read him the posts through my tears (happy ones). He says a BIG THANK YOU!
Oh you betcha he knows about PetTalk. He knows that's the reason I have been to Dayton, Chicago, and LA twice! And he has met several PetTalkers including PHRED. Actually he and my mom stopped by the very first Findlay meeting when it was just Anna, Amy, Diana and I! :)
All I know is he is going to be at
OrthoNeuro
7277 Smith's Mill Road Suite 300
New Albany OH 43054
The dr. is thinking a 3-5 day hospital recovery but he told him he'd be out Wednesday! :eek:
Thank you all - I will keep you posted. I have tomorrow off and am going down to the hospital myself. Pray that I don't get LOST!

cyber-sibes
11-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Prayers on their way for your dad's surgery. Prayers for you & your whole family. ;)

Pembroke_Corgi
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I hope everything goes well. I will be sending out good thoughts and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Cincy'sMom
11-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Lots of prayers and postivie thoughts for a successful sir-jury!

kimlovescats
11-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Staci, this is the first thread I've seen about this! I will certainly say a prayer that God will lead the hands of the surgeon(s) and bring your father safely through this surgery!

Please try to keep us updated!

Hugs,
Kim

Dorothy39
11-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Staci~

I'll be keeping your Dad in my Positive thoughts and Prayers for a very successful surgury as well as a lasting recovery.

I'll be certain to check back on this thread~ and don't worry, you will not get lost.

lizbud
11-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Staci,

There will be prayers & good thoughts for your Dad & all the family too. :)
It's good that you get to be there with your Dad.

joycenalex
11-26-2006, 04:35 PM
i know these guys. they're good, careful, talented and trustworthy. ((hugs)) joyce
All I know is he is going to be at
OrthoNeuro
7277 Smith's Mill Road Suite 300
New Albany OH 43054

zippy-kat
11-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Prayers on the way for Mr. M! :)

Daisy and Delilah
11-26-2006, 08:19 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, Staci. I hope everything goes well tomorrow. :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Mr. M is going to be at >>>

New Albany Surgical Hospital
7333 Smith's Mill Road
New Albany, OH 43054

Hospital Operator & Patient Rooms = (614) 775-6600

The "OrthoNeuro" location listed before is the Doctor's OFFICES ...
The Sir Jury Gang hangs out in a NEW and seperate Hospital Building.

They do NOT have an E-Card program ... not even a Gift Shoppe ...
it's a very SMALL, specialty hospital.

They DO provide some sort of "Wireless Device" hooked up through the TV
with a "wireless keyboard" for each patient to use in their room ...
but the Night Operator wasn't too hip on HOW the thing worked.

Hopefully Staci can check it out in the morning and let us know if
Dad can be "reached" on the Tube. ;)

Meanwhile - BEST WISHES to Mr. M!!

anna_66
11-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Staci, I'll be sending lots of prayers his way tomorrow:)
I hope the surgery helps his pain.

krazyaboutkatz
11-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Staci, Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to your father. I sure hope that his surgery goes smoothly. Please continue to keep us updated about him.

wolf_Q
11-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Staci I hope everything will go well for your dad and his recovery will be fast.

K9karen
11-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Lots of prayers for your dad, Stace.

I hope this helps you a wee bit. Having back surgery was one of the best things i ever did. I was in the hospital for 3 days. The morphine drip is a blessing, as is the one day catherization because you just don't want to get up. Believe it or not, he'll get physical therapy probably the next day. The more he walks, the better the healing, believe it or not. I don't know if we have the same problem, but my heart goes out to him. Excruciating back pain sucks. Unlesss you've had it, you can't understand it. I'm the kind of person who totally trusts the doctors. Make sure he "milks" being babied! It's a hard road, but, believe me, day by day he'll be able to move better and better!

Feel free to PM me if you want. Give your dad a huge hug for me!

Pam
11-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Staci I hope that your dad will have a very successful surgery and as pain-free a recovery as is possible. I like the idea that your mom will be bunking out with him. We will all have him, and you, in our thoughts and prayers today.

ramanth
11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Lots of prayers for a successful surgery today!! *HUGS*

cyber-sibes
11-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Woke up thinking about your dad, prayed for him, his doctors, and caregivers that the surgery today goes well.

Logan
11-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Staci, I have been away and am just seeing this, now.

Your dad will be in my prayers today. I hope this surgery will be successful and his recovery will be smooth.

Logan

Cinder & Smoke
11-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi God ~

Glad You're carryin Your portable phone-dinger wiff Ya.
You all *srubbed up* an wearin Your "skrubbies" fur da assist wiff Mr. M?

Please help da White Coats do a furst klass fix-up job on him -
he's purdy Important at home - an gotz a GranDawg that LUVS ta play wiff him!

Send a {{{God'sHug}}} out to Staci, Sis, and Mrs. M - let 'em know You're onna case.

We'll be standin by - Krossin Pawz & Klawz, an sendin Prayers.

/s/ the Prayer Pups anna Purrayer Kat

pitc9
11-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Prayers to you Staci and your family!

gini
11-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Staci, you can be sure that I am saying some prayers for your Dad that this surgery will do the trick for him. He has been in pain too long and has suffered enough.

I'll slip a few prayers in for you and for your Mom too - I can imagine how worried both of you are.

xxoo - the other Mom.

Cinder & Smoke
11-27-2006, 11:42 AM
12:30 PM Monday ~

Staci just called ...

He's ** FIXED **!!

The White Coats just came out and gave the GOOD NEWS to Mrs. M and Staci ...

Mr. M's Operation was a SUCCESS - 2 Rods + 6 Screws - and now everything's
"Back in place ... He otta feel FINE!"

He's off to Recovery till about 2:00 pm - then he moves to his private "suite".

A few more PT Prayers will help with *Recovery* ... so please keep them coming.

/s/ :) Phred
:D

lizbud
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Glad to hear the surgery went well.I hope his recovery goes just as smoothly.

4 Dog Mother
11-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I am so glad that Staci's dad has come through this so well! I hope and pray that he will feel better. I read this last night but didn't get around to posting. Mr. M and family has been in my prayer and will continue to be!

NoahsMommy
11-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Poor Mr. M!! I hope you get to feeling all better very soon! At least you picked a good time to recover...when its all cold outside and you get to sit by a fire and watch lovely Christmas specials and be with your fabulous family. :)

I'm so happy you're in such a great place (medically) and that you have a very strong support system and what sounds like excellent doctors.

Now, be sure and do what the doctors tell you. Don't be brave, you've just had sir-jury...take it easy, take the medicine when they tell you to and you'll be all better before you know it.

(((((hugs, prayers, love and warm fuzzies))))) for the whole family.

Love you, Stac!!

Love, Kelly :)

NoahsMommy
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
Stace just Texted Me:

"Pain is Kicking in."

Poor thing. Lets all step up the prayers that the nurses hussle with the pain medicine so that the healing can begin. (studies show that if the body is in pain, it cannot properly heal after a surgery)

Edit: Stace wrote again, he actually has 2 pain pumps and used one of them once. He'll need to get above that threshold and then he'll be OK. Poor guy. ((((gentle hugs, Mr. M))))

~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Lord,
Please be with Mr. M now that he's done with his back surgery. Please help to ease his post surgical pain and discomfort with medicine and Your peace. He's been through a lot today and needs his rest and relaxation, without that, he cannot begin the long healing process ahead of him. Thank You so much for the amazing surgical team You provided and for guiding thier hands and heads to do a perfect job on Mr. M's back, so he'll be free from pain and back to a better body.

Thank you for giving Staci such a great dad and his family, him.

Thank you for all these things I ask, in Jesus' Name. Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dorothy39
11-27-2006, 03:50 PM
I've had Mr. M on my mind through out the day~

Thank-you everyone for providing these up dates~

I will continue to keep him in my Prayers for a smooth recovery , with no further surgury~ ever again. :o

kimlovescats
11-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear that the surgery went well and he'll be feeling better once he recovers! Hope the pain meds kick in soon and he can rest comfortably tonight! ;)

cyber-sibes
11-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Whew, that's good news! Will keep praying for a speedy recovery - he's going to feel soooooo much better.

Cinder & Smoke
11-27-2006, 08:28 PM
:)

Staci's on the way home (@9:15 pm she's about 1/2 hour from home) and
called in this report:

Dad's doin A-OK - Fussin an hollerin that he wants to EAT!

* got fitted for a back brace
* got a walker
* did a 250 foot Hike inna Hall - Doc was *impressed*!
* pain pump only used once
* took a Valium and slept that off
* entertained the two Grand Kids and lived through it!
* still planning on makin a break for it on Wednesday - Doc said "We'll see."

Staci says the Hospital is Really NICE - and the Staff are GREAT!

She'll check in as soon as she sez "Howdy" to the Big Red Dawg ...
Keegan was going to be visited by the next-door neighbor today ...
and may be over at his house.

More Best Wishes for Mr. M - Feel Better Soon!! ;)

/s/ Phred

Cincy'sMom
11-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear things went well today! Lots of prayers for a fast and successful recovery.

slick
11-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm so glad and relieved that everything went well. I had to laugh at this...

* did a 250 foot Hike inna Hall - Doc was *impressed*! It was the same with me. What is it about doctors??? They give you a standing ovation for walking inna Hall and another one for sitting and giving them a good BM. Don't they have a life??? :D :D

Uabassoon
11-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Staci I'm so happy to hear that you dad is doing so well shortly after surgery. I'll keep him in my thoughts that he has a speedy recovery!

shais_mom
11-27-2006, 11:32 PM
we are home!
pooped -
but none worse for the wear.
Yup I asked the neighbor to come and let Keegan out - he said he'd let her out a couple times welllllll, the big red dog spent the evening at the neighbors and even went on a car ride with him and their resident Shih tzu - Zoey! lol other then eating she hasn't done a whole lot since I got home she acts like she's been at the dog park or something! ;)
When we (sister and family) left dad was still harping over the fact that he still had the catheter in and he wasn't allowed to eat real food until morning. He's eaten 2 servings of chicken broth, 2 servings of jello, fruit ice, and numerous cups of coffee.
When he got out of recovery we asked him about his pain and he said there was pain but it was different. Not the numbing, cramping, tingling pain in his legs like before. The docs were able to straighten the spine and do one fusion - putting in 6 pins and 2 rods. Said that the nerves were restored and wouldn't be frayed like before. (I think that's how he said it)Yes, he got up and walked a good distance. - then got some Vallium - and the nurse said he's get a nice nap. I don't think she was out the door before he was asleep!
I can't say enough good things about this hospital. It was fabulous! My parents were told this morning that docs come from all over the world to operate there and patients come from all over the country to BE operated on! It is strictly Orthopedic and Neurological Surgery. They do about 25 inpatient surgeries and 25 outpatient surgeries a day.
I will call them tomorrow and report how he's doing.
My family wants to send deep heartfelt THANKS to each and everyone that thought of, prayed for us. :)
THANK YOU!

krazyaboutkatz
11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Staci, I'm so glad to hear that your father's surgery went well and I hope that he'll make a full and speedy recovery.:) I'm still keeping him in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
11-27-2006, 11:44 PM
More paryers on the way, that his recovery continues smoothly, and that he is allowed "real food" really soon!

K9karen
11-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Woo! Woo! That's GREAT news!!! Mr M and I are in a dead tie for screws and rods! Yep! Up and attum down the hall almost immediately!!! And love those medication pumps! Good goin' Mr M!!! And Bless the docs, magic hands I say! Prayers for a speedy, pain free recovery!!! {HUGS!}

Killearn Kitties
11-28-2006, 04:43 AM
This is great news, sounds like Mr M is doing really well!
I hope his recovery continues smoothly and quickly.

Pam
11-28-2006, 05:37 AM
This is wonderful news Staci. I am glad your dad is doing so well! :) I know it must be reassuring that he is in a place where you feel he is getting the best care and attention. It is so encouraging, even this early in the game, that he is no longer experiencing the numbing and tingling that he had before the surgery. That's a *thumbs up* for sure. Continued good wishes for a speedy healing and recovery!

Daisy and Delilah
11-28-2006, 06:10 AM
It sounds like things are going great for your Dad, Staci. I'm so happy to hear the good news. I hope he's chowing down on some biscuits and gravy by now ;) I can feel his pain. That hospital food leaves alot to be desired :( We'll keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers. :)

anna_66
11-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Wonderful! So glad to hear things went well with your dad's surgery:)
Hope he's out of the hospital and on the way home asap!!!

gini
11-28-2006, 07:49 AM
Staci, what good news! Oh, I just hope this continues and he gets better and better. What a great Christimas present for your Dad and your entire family.

So, the Big Red Dog went calling while you were away?

Dorothy39
11-28-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm so happy that your Dad no longer feels that horrible pain and numbness in his legs and is now eager to get back to his "New" and "Improved Self!!!!!"

Your up date was thrilling to read ~ and I will keep your family in my thoughts for the going to get even better!!!

Thank-You for the up dates !!!!!! :cool:

caseysmom
11-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I am so glad your Father is doing well...I will keep him in my thoughts.

ramanth
11-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Great news!! Many prayers for a quick recovery. :D

shais_mom
11-28-2006, 12:13 PM
talked to my mom about an hour ago and
he was up on his way to the bathroom. They had taken the catheter out this morning. He had been down the hall to visit my mom's friend's husband. He ate pancakes and sausage for breakfast and was going to get a hamburger and all the fixin's with cherry pie for lunch.
on the phone with HIM now - he answered again - he said that he has met all the criteria on the list for PT - steps, walking etc, the nurses said that as long as he is eating, keeping it down, urinating, and making gas sounds, they don't see a problem with him going home tomorrow. He said well I haven't had BM yet and they said "Oh we don't care about that - as long as your bowels are working (gas)- it will come" He was pretty sick Sunday - vomiting and diarrhea - probably due to nerves and some food poisoning and with the liquid diet yesterday - he probably doesn't have a whole lot to get rid of!
-k- enough on THAT subject! ;)

Jadapit
11-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm glad to hear your dad is doing well. I bet he cant wait to go home. You all will be in my thoughts.

NoahsMommy
11-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh Stace, this is fabulous to hear such positive news about dad!! :)

His having his appetite back...and the feistiness about it...is a GOOD sign! Him being sick of his special "clear liquids" shows that his tum tum is all better and he's healing and his body is asking for more nutrients to heal itself. Excellent! (I know that when I'm a "guest" at the hospital, its always a good sign when I'm asking for REAL food as opposed to the ugh, 'lovely' liquids, too.)

Nurses are correct, (and you too!) if he’d been ill on Sunday, he probably wont have a BM, but if there is noise going on in there, that’s all they’ll need. Like Slick said, its so funny to see our doctors and nurses so pleased with basic bodily functions, its like we’re 2 years old! ha ha

All his walking, stepping and getting around is so great! I'm so proud of him, so I can only imagine how you, mom and his DOCTORS feel! This is so great! They must do amazing work at that place...from what you said, it sounds like a phenomenal center, and your dad completely deserves it. At this rate, I bet he’ll be packing his bag and being co-pilot on Wednesday! ;)

Keep on resting and eating that yummy food, Mr. M! Can’t wait to hear how well you’re doing in the next uppydate!

Hugs, Kelly :)

NoahsMommy
11-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Is there an uppydate on Mr. M today???

shais_mom
11-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Mr. M is home as we speak. I spoke to them a few hours ago and they were making a potty stop. I haven't talked to them since they have been home. I myself am home with some type of flu so I wasn't able to update as I have been sleeping most of the day!

wolflady
11-29-2006, 03:59 PM
That's great news, Stace! I'm glad you're dad is home and on his way to feeling so much better! :)

**hugs**

Cinder & Smoke
11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Mr. M is home as we speak.

I myself am home with some type of flu ...

:eek:
:(

Poor Baby!!

Sheese ... we just get one of you fixed up ...
and another one "gets broken"!
:rolleyes:

Hope YOU shake your bug quickly;
and that Dad takes it easy for a while and gets his back back into shape.

BOTH of you go "easy" for a while, please!!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

lizbud
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm happy to hear your dad is home now. Hope he continues to recover
his strength day after day.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Take good care of yourself & feel
better soon. :)

cyber-sibes
11-29-2006, 05:20 PM
:) Prayers for quick recoveries for your dad & you, too!

shais_mom
12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
Please keep those prayers coming.
He having horrible leg cramping and right leg pain.
He called the dr today and they ordered an ultrasound to see if he had a blood clot but it was negative. He was having this pain before the surgery but the dr said that it would go away once the back was straightened up and fixed. Maybe its just the nerves or something but he is icing it and using heat on it and it is bothering him very much.
THANK YOU for everything thus far!

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Good Grief ~ I thought we had "Dad" all fixed up!

Hope it's just a nerve spasm that will go away QUICKLY. But don't let him
"put up" with it for too long ...
don't be bashful about calling the Surgeon back onto the case.

Prayers being said for a Quick Resolution and Recovery.

Hang in there, "Dad" - we're all pulling & praying for you!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

kimlovescats
12-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Staci, I'm so sorry your Dad is still in such pain! Leg cramps are the WORST! :( I pray that they stop soon and he can begin his healing!

Hugs,
Kim

Karen
12-01-2006, 10:49 PM
More prayers on the way!

shais_mom
12-01-2006, 10:59 PM

Good Grief ~ I thought we had "Dad" all fixed up!

Hope it's just a nerve spasm that will go away QUICKLY. But don't let him
"put up" with it for too long ...
don't be bashful about calling the Surgeon back onto the case.

Prayers being said for a Quick Resolution and Recovery.

Hang in there, "Dad" - we're all pulling & praying for you!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids
if it doesn't get better by Monday he's supposed to call them again.
THANKS EVERYONE!

pnance
12-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Staci, I've only been on briefly in the past few weeks so completely missed this. Prayers to your dad. Hopefully the ice and heat will help.

Cinder & Smoke
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
If it doesn't get better by Monday he's supposed to call them again.

"... not better by Monday ...!??? ... :eek:

What happened to TOMORROW / Saturday!??? :confused:

I'd sure be <ringin> SOMEone's dinger at the crack-a-dawn - Too-Morrow!!

Till Monday seems like a loooong time to be in pain ... start calling tomorrow!

Manly {{{Hugs}}} for "Dad"

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

K9karen
12-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Yikes, Stace! I thought he was feeling better too!

I get right leg cramps sometimes too, My doc says it's the nerves that were squished and don't know they're "open" yet. I take quinine pills (yukky) and they help. Please tell your dad that it'll take some time cause everything was so screwy for so long and the spine is so intricate. Please tell your dad that I'm rootin' for him!

slick
12-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Nerve pain??? Gee, I can sure tell you about that. It's the worst. Staci, please, I agree with Phred. Don't let him wait until Monday. In this day and age, no one deserves to be in pain. There are meds out there that can do wonders. I'm taking Gabapentin for my nerve pain. Maybe your Dad should ask about that.

Prayers on the way and {{{hugs}}} too.

Rachel
12-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Staci, I've been praying for your dad and hoping he feels some improvement each and every day.

4 Dog Mother
12-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Staci,

I've been praying for your dad this week but just didn't get around to posting - lots going on. I am so glad he had the surgery and is home. But I agree with the others. There are too many relief giving drugs out there to sit in pain all weekend. And as far as bothering the doctor on the weekend - that's why they get paid the big bucks!

Felicia's Mom
12-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I will keep Staci's DAD in my prayers.

Daisy and Delilah
12-02-2006, 05:48 PM
My thoughts and prayers are still with you all, Staci. I sure hope your Dad is feeling better and pain free soon.

ramanth
12-02-2006, 06:42 PM
Many many more healing vibes and prayers sent.

shais_mom
12-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks everyone!
he is still having unbearable pain in the right leg. My mom thinks it is his sciatica - b/c it is constant from heel to tailbone. We had a family get together of his side of the family tonite and he wasn't able to be there. He is sleeping a lot and on muscle relaxers.
I can't imagine how much this hurts as he has a rather high pain tolerance.
{hugs}

RockyRoad
12-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Still keeping prayers coming for your dad! Sorry he's having lots of pain, I hope it gets better very soon.

K9karen
12-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Thanks everyone!
he is still having unbearable pain in the right leg. My mom thinks it is his sciatica - b/c it is constant from heel to tailbone. We had a family get together of his side of the family tonite and he wasn't able to be there. He is sleeping a lot and on muscle relaxers.
I can't imagine how much this hurts as he has a rather high pain tolerance.
{hugs}

memory jolt..I remember having some sciatica problems after surgery too. Staci..it eventually went away. I forgot to ask you..did they take bone from his hip for a fusion? I totally agree with Slick..and luckily ALL my doctors say the exact thing.."There's no reason to be in pain in this day and age". I hope your dad called the doctor earlier than Monday. Prayong he feels better

shais_mom
12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, I went to visit today and all it took was for me to watch one trip to the bathroom and back to the bed and by the time he got back to the bed he was almost sobbing in pain. I asked why they hadn't called the drs answering service and they looked blankly at me. So I called the office which was turned over to his answering service who within 5 minutes got me on the phone with the dr. I told him my dad has a very high pain tolerance (he once ran a chainsaw a couple inches thru his leg and didn't realize it) and he said sure - I explained he was having excrutiating pain and numbness from his hip to his heel and he said he'd probably have to come to have xrays to see if the screw was loose. He would call us back. About a half hour later - he called - talked to my mom and wanted him admitted to the hospital that he was in earlier this week to have his pain managed and to run some tests in the morning. They got bags packed and headed off - I haven't heard from them yet but will let you know when I do.

Cinder & Smoke
12-03-2006, 08:01 PM
(Doc) wanted him admitted to the hospital that he was in earlier this week to
have his pain managed and to run some tests in the morning.

They got bags packed and headed off ...

So Sorry to hear Mr. M has had a setback. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Hopefully Mrs. M has delivered them back to New Albany by now;
and Mr. M should be getting relief from his leg pain.

BEST Wishes for tomorrow's tests to pinpoint the problem and then
a Quick Fix to FixZit!

Staci will let us know (tomorrow) how things are going.
Drive Carefully, Staci!!

{{{Hugs}}} to All!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids

anna_66
12-03-2006, 08:36 PM
:( Well that stinks Staci. I hope they can find the answer to his pain problem asap.
Lots of good thoughts and prayers on the way.

joycenalex
12-03-2006, 09:03 PM
wowsa! hope he's feeling better sooner rather then later. he, and your mom are in my thoughts

Cincy'sMom
12-03-2006, 09:14 PM
More thoughts and prayers for Mr. M and the family. Hopefully they can fix him up for good!

shais_mom
12-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I talked to Mom after they got him settled and they were putting in an IV for the pain pump. I'll check in the morning before I leave and update.
THANKS!
It was awful to watch him walk like that. I hope he's better now.

krazyaboutkatz
12-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Staci, I'm sorry that your dad had to go back into the hospital.:( I sure hope that they can figure out what's causing his pain and I hope he feels better soon. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

cyber-sibes
12-03-2006, 10:58 PM
:( Your poor dad, I hope they can figure out what the problem is and get his pain levels down. Prayers & good vibes heading your way from all of us-

wolf_Q
12-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope he'll be feeling better soon!

gini
12-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Staci, I am so sorry that your Dad had to go back to the hospital. But at least he can have a comfortable night before they take x-rays and more tests to find out what is causing his pain.

You have lots of prayers from me for your Dad.

Yes, as Phred said, be very careful driving - you will be distracted thinking of your Dad - and he wants a safe and sound daughter at his side.

xxoo me

K9karen
12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Fingers crossed that Mr M's problem is solved easily and quickly and that this is just a small setback. Please update us as soon as you can, Staci..

Dorothy39
12-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I'll keep Mr. M in my Prayers ~

Oh, that poor guy :( I am so sorry that he has had this setback.

Please keep us updated when you can.

shais_mom
12-04-2006, 09:01 AM
they called me around 840 am this morning to tell me not to hurry down!
course they woke me up so I'm showered and getting ready.
He seemed a bit better but who knows....

Cinder & Smoke
12-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Now you can skip "rush hour" traffic on the beltway! ;)

Drive Safe - and wish him a Quick Fix.

Call when you know more. {{{Hugs}}}

/s/ Phred & the FUrKids

Cataholic
12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh, Staci. I just saw this update! Prayers on the way for Mr. M!

Felicia's Mom
12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Staci, Sorry to hear about your dad's setback. Will keep him in my prayers.

Cinder & Smoke
12-04-2006, 03:18 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

Staci just called with the GOOD NEWS on "Dad" ...
He's almost "fixed"!

The Sunday Pain Pump kicked in and the pain subsided in his leg.
Today they *starved* him in case Sir Jury was required - but it WASN'T! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/smile.gif

They did an MRI and close exam of the Sir Jury site - all the Screws and Rods were In Place,
no missing screwdrivers were spotted ...
the blame is placed on an Inflamed Nerve near the fusion site.

The "Fix" will be administered tomorrow - an Epidural Steroid Injection to reduce
the inflammation at the neve. Should give the nerve time to heal and not have to be repeated.

The actual injection is quick - and Mr. M will be sent home soon after tomorrow's procedure.

He came back to his room **HUNGRY** and hounded the Doc for clearance to EAT!
"OK" said Doc - "I'll tell them to Feed You!"
Doc was no more than out the door and Mr. M had dialed the Kitchen to order! He didn't want
to hear that the Doc hadn't called in the food clearance yet!

He was EAGERLY awaiting his CheeseBurger delivery!

Staci will hang around till her Sis comes after finishing her teaching gig at School;
then head home after dinner.
Big Red Dawg is prolly "on vacation" next door at the Neighbor's house.
Kats should be enjoying a dog-LESS house.

All seems WELL! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Keep Feelin BETTER, Mr. M!!

/s/ Phred

slick
12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Thank you God. I'm so glad that the pain in his leg is much better. Here's to a good meal and a good night's sleep in his own bed!

Rachel
12-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Good that he got back to the hospital so all the possibilities could be checked out. Suffering doesn't earn any points anyways. Of course we all wished he wouldn't have had this complication, but since he did, I'm very glad they didn't just blow it off.

gini
12-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto to all that has been said. Pain is just not fun - and in this day and age shouldn't have to happen. At least they found out immediately what was causing the problem and they can FIX IT!

(no missing screwdrivers Phred???:eek: )

I sure hope he gets a GOOD cheeseburger! And maybe he should repeat that pie too!

Dorothy39
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Oh Geez, I've had Mr. M on my mind so often !!!

Thank-You Phred for that fabulous up date!!!!
I've have Prayed so Hard for his Pain to be arrested!!!!!!

(No missing screw drivers? :eek: ) You're a Treasure , Phred!!!!

Jadapit
12-04-2006, 04:19 PM
OUCH! Anything that has to do with a nerve hurts so bad. Bless your dads heart. I'm glad they figured out why he was hurting. I hope he enjoyed his cheeseburger! :)

joycenalex
12-04-2006, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE...The "Fix" will be administered tomorrow - an Epidural Steroid Injection to reduce the inflammation at the neve. Should give the nerve time to heal and not have to be repeated.

i had an epidural steroid in 2004. worked wonders for me, so here's hoping again.

shais_mom
12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
After a strong dose of steroids, neurontin (sp), and percoset he was feeling MUCH better! Yes he was asking for food, the nurse said I'll give you credit for being consistent! ;) I talked with him on my way home and he had ordered his 3rd meal of ice cream and cookies! He didn't feel like eating yesterday so he's apparently making up for lost time. He hadn't eaten since Noon Sunday until today at 4pm! :eek:
When I talked with him on the way home the doc had been in and he told him he was feeling 145% better (as opposed to ???) the doc has him scheduled for the epidural injection in the morning and they should be sprung around noon. He walked my sister and I to the elevator. :)
Thanks everyone we appreciate very much the thoughts and prayers.
The big red dog hasn't done a whole lot since I've been home she did go visiting and they had company so she's POOPED!

gini
12-05-2006, 10:07 AM
This is such good news! Ice cream will always make you feel better!:D

Cinder & Smoke
12-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Here's hopin the "big Jab" has been done, and
Permanent Relief is flowing into the correct spot.

Is "Dad" waiting for lunch - or have he and the Bus Driverette headed for Home?

Have a Safe Trip Home!!

;)

kimlovescats
12-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm so glad to hear that your Dad is feeling better and on his way back home! :)

shais_mom
12-05-2006, 11:57 AM
HE IS HOME AND PAIN FREE!
so much so that when the doc came in around 730 this morning and asked about his pain he said it was a big fat 0! they said they never hear that!
SO they didn't do the injection and he was released around 10 this morning so he should be home now. He came home with scripts to get filled that will help allievate the inflamation.
So now we are the on road to recovery! :D
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cinder & Smoke
12-05-2006, 12:20 PM
... when the doc came in around 730 this morning and asked about his pain
he said it was a big fat 0! They said they never hear that!

SO they didn't do the injection and he was released around 10 this morning ...

WOW!

No >poke< inna back, huh?
Hope he wasn't just *fibbin* to dodge the >poke< ! :p

Musta been some really GOOD STUFF they gave him last night!

Hope's HOPING that the Unhappy Nerve gets to feelin a lot better
and stops being a *pain*!

Best Wishes to Mr. M for a Speedy Recovery to being Pain-FREE!!

Cinder & Smoke
12-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Soooo ...

Any News from Sick Bay?
How's our Star Patient doing?

shais_mom
12-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Soooo ...

Any News from Sick Bay?
How's our Star Patient doing?

seems to be doing fine. Says its just a little ache now.
He tooled around Walmart today.
Still sleeping a lot
isn't allowed to do anything until he sees the dr again on the 22nd.

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2006, 12:16 AM
He tooled around Walmart today.

He isn't allowed to do anything until he sees the Doc again on the 22nd.

:confused:

Somehow, those two statements don't seem like they should be describing the Same Person.

Here's Hoping for a Speedy Recovery, Mr. M!!

shais_mom
12-06-2006, 12:19 AM
:confused:

Somehow, those two statements don't seem like they should be describing the Same Person.

Here's Hoping for a Speedy Recovery, Mr. M!!

well he is allowed to walk with a wheeled walker - and he went into Walmart for something with Mom but since its a smalllll Walmart he didn't go very far. :p
kind of reminds me of the person who wasn't allowed to drive after their pacemaker was put in......:p

gini
12-06-2006, 12:36 AM
kind of reminds me of the person who wasn't allowed to drive after their pacemaker was put in......:p

HA! Go get him Staci!!!

Good news - excellent news about your Dad. I just hope he won't over do it like someone else that we know!

xxoo Gini

K9karen
12-06-2006, 12:39 AM
*Sighs Happily*. I love good news! Sure to be some acheys here and there for a spell. Walking is the BEST thing, esp. if Mr. M had a fusion. Gotta keep that blood flowing to all the fixed places!!! This sounds like it's going to be an extra special Christmas for all of you!!! Welcome Home Mr M! Welcome Home!

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Kind of reminds me of the person who wasn't allowed to drive
after their pacemaker was put in......http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/redface.gif

But I only drove SHORT trips - (usually).

And I hardly ever used my Left Arm (when I remembered).

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

shais_mom
12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
He is having some pain today when he doesn't take the meds on schedule so moral of the story is - take the meds when supposed to!

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2006, 03:47 PM
so the moral of the story is -
take the meds when supposed to!

Wonder if Mr. M ever "listens" to Mrs. M??

:p

shais_mom
12-06-2006, 03:55 PM

Wonder if Mr. M ever "listens" to Mrs. M??

:p
I thought the listening gene was missing from Men's "makeup" for the most part! :p

cyber-sibes
12-06-2006, 04:53 PM
He is having some pain today when he doesn't take the meds on schedule so moral of the story is - take the meds when supposed to!Glad to hear he's feeling better and even up to getting around a bit, that's really great! As for the pain meds, my SIL (she was a doctor) explained to me that the reason it's important is that you take it on time is to keep up the levels of drugs in your bloodstream for it to work properly. It's like a mobius strip....take the drugs, feels better....feels better so won't take the drugs... If Mr. M is like most guys I know....you'll have to hand it to him every time and watch him swallow! :p

Cinder & Smoke
12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
I thought the listening gene was missing from Men's "makeup" for the most part!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif OUWCH!!

I think I just felt a knife between the shoulders! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

You'll have to hand it to him every time and watch him swallow! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif
Hoppsbittle Tail ~

Evening Nursey popped in with a lil cup of Pills whilst I was yammering away on the cell dinger.

I <motioned> to put the cup on the rolla-table.

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif Look from Nursey - and she reached out and turned my <pointy> hand over -
and <dumped> the Pills into it. ... Then picked up my water cup and offered it to me ...

I gave a <helpless> look and <waved> both the phone-hand and the pill-hand -

Not to be discouraged, she took the cell dinger OUT of that hand and inserted the water cup ...
THEN spoke into the phone: "He'll get RIGHT back to you!" and set the phone on the bed ...
"PILLS, NOW!!"

Pills taken, she said "Thank You!" and turned to go ... with a parting *shot* of:
"That's not a CELL phone, is it?" <smirk>

Dorothy39
12-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Thank You so much Shais_ Mom for the Fabulous Up date on Your Dad,

and,

Thank You Phred, for another HOPPSBITTLE TAIL~

shais_mom
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
well today was a bit of a rough one -
I think he overdid it a bit today.
The pain came back at suppertime with a vengenence so Mom gave him his pills and he barely made it to the bed to lay down. He was asleep before he laid down and almost fell off the bed! :( The pain isn't as bad as last weekend - it is different but still pretty significant.

Cinder & Smoke
12-08-2006, 12:14 AM
I think he overdid it a bit today.

The pain came back at suppertime with a vengenence so Mom gave him his pills
and he barely made it to the bed to lay down.

"Overdoin it" is NOT good!

And is he taking ALL his pain meds On Time? ... He needs to keep the meds in
his system at the correct levels - not allowing them to drop off because he skipped a dose.

Hope he starts to make *S*L*O*W* and steady progress.
;)

slick
12-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Yeah...take it from me. There's no use overdoing it.......one step forward then two steps back. Better to have it two steps forward, then lay down, then another two steps forward. That worked for me.

Still praying for his speed recovery.

gini
12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Staci, it must be really difficult for your Dad, a man of action, to slow down and let himself heal.

You know he is in my prayers.

ramanth
12-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I hope you dad starts to take it easy and is pain free soon! *hugs*

Cinder & Smoke
12-09-2006, 01:15 PM
So, how's it going with our Favorite Ohio Patient??

HOPEFULLY he's "behaving" and listening to Mrs. Nurse. :p

shais_mom
12-09-2006, 11:20 PM
well behave isn't in his vocabulary!
never has been - never will be - that's why he's an Only child - he definately broke the mold! :p
He went to a dinner last nite with the Farm Bureau and got along just great. Today I talked to him around noon and he was wore out from....
Talking on the phone....
the pain comes and goes but they are keeping on top of it.
The Big red Hot Dog and I are headed over there tomorrow.

Cinder & Smoke
12-10-2006, 12:26 AM
"Well Behaved" isn't in his vocabulary!

Today I talked to him around noon and he was wore out from....
Talking on the phone....

Oh well ...
at least he's not *Chasing the Nurse* around the house! (Yet)

Hook da Big Red Hot Dawg to his walker and send them out for a stroll!

Hope your Mom (aka da Nurse) is holding up OK. :p

shais_mom
12-10-2006, 12:32 AM
Oh well ...
at least he's not *Chasing the Nurse* around the house! (Yet)

Hook da Big Red Hot Dawg to his walker and send them out for a stroll!

Hope your Mom (aka da Nurse) is holding up OK. :p
give him time - he keeps making aaahhhh suggestions and mom I think just keeps feeding him more pills. And I bet NONE of them are the little blue ones that have a "V" on them!! ;) :eek:
Mom had run into town earlier in the day and the house phone rang and he got up and went to answer it and was halfway there when he remembered that he didn't have his walker (oops that's a no-no) OR his BRACE (that is an even BIGGER NO NO) :eek: but he figgered he was already half way there he might as well go the rest of the way! :rolleyes:

slick
12-10-2006, 12:43 AM
And I bet NONE of them are the little blue ones that have a "V" on them!! Ha! I remember those little blue ones but I only got them on day one and two of my hospital stay. I think I remember asking for one on day three but was refused. Oh well.

I know how hard it is to have to slow down but it truly is necessary for the healing process no matter what kind of sir jury you have. Sounds like he is as stubborn as me.....no insult intended, OK?? It's just that the telephone story sounds like something I would have done. Hey, why go back and get the walker and brace, and miss a phone call?

Feel better Mr. Staci's Dad. Slow and steady wins the race.

K9karen
12-10-2006, 01:06 AM
*Shivers* Ooo, Mr M..I feel your pain! Ya just gotta take it easy and MILK being cared for!!!!

shais_mom
12-10-2006, 11:07 PM
NO INSULT TAKEN!!
Trust me - he's heard it all! :p
Phred said when I was on the phone with him awhile ago he thinks Dad stays up at night thinking of ways to aggravate people. :p ;)
I don't think we are thinking of the same little blue pills - I'll email you..... :p;):p;)
well, today he was having pain again - not as bad as last week but still severe enough that he was in tears. :(
They are calling the dr in the morning -- and I imagine he will have to have the epidural injection.

K9karen
12-11-2006, 12:32 AM
:( I'm so sorry to hear that your dad is having more pain, Staci. I hope the epideral helps.

Personally, as lazy as I can be, the thought that I actually HAD to rest and take it easy, made me do things I shouldn't have done. I guess I was mad at my body for betraying me. I got scolded a lot, so I finally gave in and let others do the work and treat me like a Princess. I hope your dad lets everyone put him on a pedestal and just relax. It takes time to heal. Remember to tell dad it's not like a scratch you can see, there's a whole lot of internal healing going on especially with a fusion.

Feel better Mr M! Prayers on the way!

cyber-sibes
12-11-2006, 08:36 AM
*catches up on posts* :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, I'm really sorry he's having such bad pain. Still sending prayers. I hope his severe pain ends soon.

Cinder & Smoke
12-13-2006, 01:04 PM
>bumpity-bump<

So - How's Mr. M doing now?

Tears are not good ... let's get him back in shape!

What are the Docs saying?

Feel Better SOON, Mr. M!!
;)

shais_mom
12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
They talked to the doctor and he upped the dose of the nerve pills and has been getting along ok. Dad is going to give it until tomorrow to see how he's doing.
:)

slick
12-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Staci: what is the name of the nerve pill he's taking??? I'm taking Gabapentin and it works wonders. It works by doing somthing to the brain so the brain doesn't signal that it's nerve pain. Not sure how else to describe it but with Gabapentin you can go to a maximum of 3600mg per day. I'm only taking 1800 and it really does work.

Still praying for you Mr. M.

shais_mom
12-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Staci: what is the name of the nerve pill he's taking??? I'm taking Gabapentin and it works wonders. It works by doing somthing to the brain so the brain doesn't signal that it's nerve pain. Not sure how else to describe it but with Gabapentin you can go to a maximum of 3600mg per day. I'm only taking 1800 and it really does work.

Still praying for you Mr. M.
Neurontin -
I will tell him to ask for another one if he hasn't had the relief with this one- I didn't get a chance to talk to them tonite while I was at work but will call in the morning. THANKS!

slick
12-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Gabapentin (brand name: Neurontin®) was initially synthesized to mimic the structure of GABA for the treatment of epilepsy. Nowadays, gabapentin has been widely used as a medication to relieve pain, especially neuropathic pain. Gabapentin is well tolerated in most patients, has a relatively mild side-effect profile, and passes through the body unmetabolized.

Gabapentin is similar in structure to the neurotransmitter GABA but is not believed to act on the same brain receptors. Its exact mechanism of action is unknown, but its therapeutic action on neuropathic pain is thought to involve voltage-gated calcium ion channels. It is thought to bind to the α2δ subunit of the voltage-dependent calcium channel in the central nervous system.

So he is taking the same med as me. I thought so. If he is experiencing pain, the doctor should up the dose every week until it's relieved. As I said, it can go as high as 3600mg per day. Tell him not to put up with the pain. There are some side effects from this med. Weight gain is one because of increased appetite. Also this med makes me drowsy. There are other rare side effects but I'm not experiencing any of them. That's about it.

K9karen
12-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Slick..I had the same reaction on Neurontin. Before my surgery, when I was working, I took so much of it, combined with painkillers that I missed my train stop 3x in a week (I feel asleep), had to go to the end of the line and go back. :rolleyes: But it worked for a while.

Staci..how's dad doing? Has he tried an ice pack? Did he have a fusion from his hip?

shais_mom
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
and the pain is slowly getting better after they upped the dose of the neurontin. He is up and moving around some and planning a trip into town this afternoon. :)
No I don't believe the fusion was from his hip they were able to do everything from the posterior side. :) and no other incisions other then the looonnngg one on his lower back which covers the one he had 28 years ago!
he is doing well enough that he isn't calling the doctor today b/c today was the 'deadline' he gave the doctor if the pain wasn't getting better.
Thanks for asking and I'll keep ya'll posted!
{{hugs}}

shais_mom
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure I should start another thread or what - but Dad's been having some back pain again. We attributed it to sciatica and he's been suffering for about a year. :(
So finally he went back to the dr. had an MRI and has a BULGING disc now.
So I'm taking him to the Dr on Friday for a steroid shot in his back to hopefully reduce the bulge before it herniates. It was either that or surgery!

ramanth
09-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Yikes!! :( :( I hope your dad feels better soon.

Grace
09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Okay - so a steroid shot now, but what later? The steroid is only temporary, a stop-gap measure. If the disc is really bulging he will need either extensive PT or surgery - maybe both.

I had a bulging disc 25 years ago. Had surgery - total resolution of symptoms. No problems since.

Keeping your Dad, and you, in my thoughts and prayers.

RICHARD
09-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Wow, best wishes to your dad!

I hate back pain!!:(

Daisy and Delilah
09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Thoughts and prayers going out to your Dad, Staci, and you and all the family. The poor fella has really been through it. He must have the patience of Job.

zippy-kat
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
{{hugs}} Prayers are on the way!

4 Dog Mother
09-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Prayers of the way for your dad, Staci! Hope his back feels better soon.

Cinder & Smoke
09-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Dad's been having some back pain again.
He went back to the Dr. had an MRI and has a BULGING disc now. :(

So I'm taking him to the Dr on Friday for a steroid shot in his back
to hopefully reduce the bulge before it herniates.

OUWCHIE! :(

Tell Dad we wish him the Best for a Speedie Recovery and no more pain!

;)