PDA

View Full Version : Wood workers/chefs please reply

AdoreMyDogs
11-26-2006, 08:31 AM
How on earth do you prevent nice wood cutting boards and wooden utensils from cracking and/or buckeling?

I have a beautiful wood cutting board that wobbles now because it started to buckle immediately after I bought it. I also like to keep several nice wooden spoons and ladels on hand and I buy nice ones that I expect to last forever, but sure enough, they end up with splits in the wood. How do I prevent this from happening to my nice wood things? Anyone know?

I do not soak them in water. I take good care of them, handwashing them in mild soap. I'd never put wood tools in the dishwasher. I try to take good care of my wood tools. What am I missing?

catnapper
11-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Have you tried rubbing them with oil? If I remember correctly, my woodworking friend said to rub olive oil on it once in a while to keep the pored sealed. Of course, my memory stinks anymore! LOL

kittycats_delight
11-26-2006, 08:57 AM
You should treat your wooden utensils and cutting boards every few months or even more often if thay are used a lot with olive oil. Coat them with olive oil and allow it to soak into the wood. It will help preserve them. Also when washing them don't put them in the sink to and have them soak while you do the other dishes. Wash them immediately. Don't let the wood stand in water as it dries the wood out and will warp and crack it over time.

AdoreMyDogs
11-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Olive oil--good tip. I immediately treated all my wood stuff with olive oil. Thanks for the suggestions.