PDA

View Full Version : Lexie has another UTI...

carole
11-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Poor wee girl has got another UTI, I noticed it immediately though and off to the vets we went, she has her antibots and antiflamms,so hopefully she will be feeling better soon, we are painstakingly awaiting her to use her new litter box, well the one the vets gave us for a urine sample, so far no luck, I cannot believe she can hold out so long considering she was peeing non-stop there for a while, fingers and paws crossed please that she goes soon, she has to stay up in the bedroom for now until then, it is four months and one week since she had her last one, so hopefully nothing too sinister is going on there.

I am wondering if stress is contributing to them, as she only got her first one when the other two new cats arrived, i believe it can be a reason, stress, so the vet said anyhow, so please hope my lil girl gets well soon and does not keep getting these painful infections, thanks from me and Lexie. :)

Catty1
11-24-2006, 09:12 PM
My boy Oscar is on 2 - 3 shots (from the spray bottle) of Feliway for the rest of his life. He was wild for his first two years of life (at least), and I guess is the kind that can stress easily, even though he is a big suck!

An option is for him to go on amitriptyline or another med to calm him. I am hoping that the Feliway and his preventive food will do the job.

He had a UTI with a few crystals, but mostly inflammation. And that can come from stress...even when the infection was totally GONE, he still had blood in his urine, which is called "idiopathic cystitis".

I am thinking he is having a bit of trouble again.

With Lexie, also ask your vet about putting a bit of powder from a good-quality cranberry capsule into her wet food - or a bit of plain yogurt if she will eat it. My vet recommended 50mg per day (you have to kind of eyeball the capsule ;) ), for no longer than a month.

Good luck with your girl!

hugs

krazyaboutkatz
11-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Carole, I'm sorry to hear that Lexie has another UTI.:( I hope that she'll pee soon so you can get a good sample of her urine. I also hope that the meds will help her and that she'll feel better soon. They could be caused by stress but hopefully she won't continue to get them.

Is she on any kind of a special diet? She may need to be on a good uriniary tract diet or be given some supplements to promote good urinary tract health. Some people have given their cats cranberry treats or cosequin supplements to help these kinds of problems. Good luck.:)

catmandu
11-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Poor Little Lexie Has Been Through So Much, And We Are Praying That The White Coats Can Help Lexie Once Again.
We Are Praying For Lexie That She Will Be Well.

carole
11-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, taking it all in, would you believe that lil girl went 14 hours without a pee, with a UTI i find that incredible, but of course when she did go, there was plenty, will get sample tested tomorrow and see what is what,i do have her on urinary tract biscuits already, but the vet might suggest something else, so we shall wait and see,will keep you all posted and thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated.

jenluckenbach
11-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Poor Lexie, Hope she is feeling well soon.

catnapper
11-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Poor Lexie. I know Pouncer gets sick when he's stressed, so its entirely reasonable to think stress is causing Lexie's troubles. Prayers going out that she gets relief soon.

carole
11-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone, Lexie seems a lot happier now thanks to the painkillers, will get test results this afternoon, fingers and paws crossed all will be ok, yes it does appear it could be stress related as she only started getting them when the other two kitties arrived, i have put a litter box upstairs for her in our bedroom as well as downstairs as the other kitties use the downstairs one too, well i have not seen nikki use it but Ellie-Mae does quite often, if it is caused through that i am not sure how to handle it as it will be ongoing, as the kitties are here to stay, and this could become very upsetting for her and very expensive as well, just have to hope all will come right, or we can de=stress her with the help of medication if need be.

kimlovescats
11-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Poor Lexie and poor mommy! I hope she clears up quickly! ;)

carole
11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Lexie does have crystals, so we have to put her on the Science Diet to dissolve them, she is allowed nothing else, that is gonna be hard with four kitties pinching each other's food,not to mention the cost has more than doubled for her food, but she is worth every bit of it, but it is worrying with three other mouths to feed,but we will manage, just have to think positively eh? at least it is not stress related according to the vet, they are the struvite cyrstals, sorry not sure on the spelling.

Catty1
11-26-2006, 08:35 PM
An idea...if Royal Canin SO is less expensive, it also dissolves crystals, and see what your vet thinks. It might be easier to put everyone on the same food...and as they eat less (it's a better food), it might work out not much more expensive in the long run.

(See the debate under the Cat Food thread in Cat General!) :)

catcrazylady
11-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm so soorry poor Lexie is having trouble again. :( I hope the meds and the food will have her cleared up real soon. I know how much it hurts when I have one of those nasty things! :eek:

carole
11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Yep me too, my daughter had them for years as well, now i have a cat with it, i have looked at putting all cats on better quality food but it worked out double, i simply cannot afford that, and yes i do know they eat less, but it is still too expensive, i have wondered about royal canin, i was quite impressed by it and i think it could be a bit cheaper too, will ask her about that,i was just making ends meet as it was, and the kitties were on the most expensive ones you can buy from the supermarket, Purina One blends which has cranberries in them, just started those, and Excellence by virbac,so i thought i was doing rather good considering my two extra kitties, still i will be putting Lexie on them don't worry about that,i sure hope she likes them as she loves her excellence, and i will have to feed kitties in morning and put it away until evening, so it will be better to beable to monitor their feeding more i guess and they might get a bit slimmer as well lol.