PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the cats

slleipnir
11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm going away on saturday and coming home sunday evening. My dad never wants anything to do with the cats, and since I've not been free feeding them I'm wondering what to do.

Would it be bad to just feed them regular food for one day? I mean, Butter is on special food for preventing blockages (he's on medi-cal now...anyone know if that is good food? How do I know if it's high in sodium?) so anyway, would it harm him eatting regular stuff? Also, if I free feed them this once, will it mess up what I've been doing all along? I mean, it's just one day but....it's not like they're eatting much right now anyway

Catty1
11-24-2006, 08:07 PM
How about free-feeding everyone the Hills?

Did your vet recommend it? If so, s/he must have known it was okay for Butter?
Ask your vet, hon.

I was wondering about your beautiful boy, and am glad he seems to be ok.

One thing - if Butter had crystals(which I think her did, right?), don't let him have regular food "once in a while", because that will turn into more often...and you will run into this again.

If Hills is too expensive to feed everyone, ask your vet about a suitable other food. With good quality food, the cats will eat less of it, so it really won't cost you much more in the long run.

And it will save you the expense and grief you have just been through.

Again, ask your vet for a recommendation...and go with that.

HUGS

kt_luvs_kitties
11-24-2006, 08:59 PM
I would also rather use the Hills for everyone... And no it should not ruin what you started for just one day... Unless you do it more often. They might beg the next day or two, but I would not think it would be that bad. Hope this helps! Katie and kitties :)

slleipnir
11-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Could someone tell me about Hills??

I'm only going away for one day, which is why I want to leave the food out. I don't go away often, so I won't need to do it often. I just don't have anyone willing to feed them. Any time I went away before, I would get my brother to do the litter, and every now and then put some food in their dish. But he hates doing it and my dad doesn't want to either. I figure it's just one day....

The vet told me the food was ok, but sometimes I wonder if she forgot he has a heart condition as it was a different vet who did most of the stuff to Butter.

She also told me I could feed c/d to Kiba...2 other people told me no, that's not good for Kiba as she doesn't have anything wrong with her. My friend told me too much pH can cause a different kind of crystal

catmandu
11-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Hills Is Science Diet, And An Excellent Premium Food!
Along With Eukanuba, And Royal Canin, Its Recommended For All Pets.
Medi Cal Is A VET ONLY Canadian Food, Also Excellent, And If I Can Get Sample Packs I Use It As Treats And The Found Cats Love It..

Catty1
11-25-2006, 09:54 AM
The two other people are not vets. Phone your vet and remind her of the sodium concern you have. Ask what food you can use.

I have yet to hear about a high-quality food CAUSING crystals.

There are several brands of "vet" cat food - Hills, Royal Canin, and maybe one or two others.

The vet is the only one that can "tell" you about Hills, and the others, because there are different kinds within each brand for different conditions.

Or even go in to your vet's, and have one of the techs show you all the cat foods, and what they are for.

krazyaboutkatz
11-25-2006, 02:47 PM
I hope that everything will work out well while you're away.:) One reason I love feeding the Royal Canin Urinary S/O to my cats is because it helps prevent both the struvite and calcium oxalate crystals. I think that this is still the only presription cat food on the market that does this. Good luck and I'd also recommend that you talk to your vet about the different foods that are available.:)