PDA

View Full Version : Need Rabbit Treat Advice

Kalei
11-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone! I have had many rabbits before and know quite alot about them, but one thing I don't know much of is what kind of treats you can give them. Rabbits have a pretty sensitive digestive system and I don't like to try things out if I don't know they are safe, so far my bunny doesn't like store boughten treats, all I've been giving her for treats is carrots, but I would like to widen that variety. If any of you rabbit owners out there have any advice on what's good treats then that would be so greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!

Kalei

CathyBogart
11-24-2006, 03:10 PM
My bunnies loved apples, celery, and parsley. Here's a pretty good list from the house rabbit society: http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/foods.html

buttercup132
11-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Khale
Parsley
Spinach
Apples
Pears
Oranges with the peel
Bannanas with the peel
Cellary has to be chopped up small or hey could choke on the strings
Green and red peppers
Prickley pear
Tomatoes
Mango
Grapes
Blueberries
Strawberries
Romain lettuce NO iceburg
Big carrots and the greens on top NO baby carrots they have too much sugar
Watermelon
Pumpkin

Im sure Ill think of more to add

Kalei
11-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Thank you so much! That is a very nice long list and it helps me alot! Now I know a bunch of other things I can give her! :D

Karen
11-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Remember, not too much fruit in any given day. Rabbits don;t digest sugar well, so one can give, for example 1 raisin per pound of bunny - Miss Hoppy gets her three raisins every night!

zippy-kat
11-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Remember, not too much fruit in any given day. Rabbits don;t digest sugar well, so one can give, for example 1 rainis per pound of bunny - Miss Hoppy gets her three raisins every night!

If Piper liked 'em, he could have 11! :eek:

My guys a little bit of a picky eater - he likes cilantro but not parsley, carrots but not carrot tops, celerey tops but not celerey, cauliflower and every once in awhile broccoli.

As for fruit, he loves bananas and apples. He likes papaya tablets but not actual papayas. And every so often, he'll eat a tablespoon of pina colada (as close to pineapple as I can find) or plain vanilla yogurt.

Daily, he gets 1/2 a blueberry yogurt drop in the morning and 1/2 at night.

Suki Wingy
11-24-2006, 05:02 PM
My bunny seems to like these dried berries we got at a tack/feed shop more than any other thing we've given him.

RockyRoad
11-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Floppsy never really took to many store-bought treats as well. I used to mainly give her parsley, celery, carrots (the big ones), and yogurt drops. But sometimes I'd "mix it up" and give her an apple or other fruit. Not all at one time of course. :p I can't really recommend anything other than what everyone else has told you, because I was never really 'creative' when it came to her treats. But I agree with Karen, watch the amount of sugar in the treats you give her. Good luck! :)

(If only I could consider lettuce and carrots a treat.. ;) )

angelbow20
11-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Can rabbits have cabbage? my parents always save it for my rabbits and I only give them a tiny bit because I dont know how safe it is for them....

*future vet*
11-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I was wondering, have you tried Timothy Hay cubes? I used to have a rabbit, he loved them! :)

Argranade
11-25-2006, 10:38 AM
My bunnies main treats are,

Yogurt drops, romain letuce, apples and carrots.

I should add more things to the list lol.

Kalei
11-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Once again thank all of you guys! Last night I tried another different food on Kishii and it was an apple! Well I think that is the best treat I could have gave to her. She just loved it! She loved it even more than carrots! So I was so happy! I even got a pic of her eating it! But unfortunately it was blurry and didn't turn out but I got a pic of her eating it, you just can't see the apple, oh well I post it anyway! Thanks again everyone!

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6417/kishiiinlitterzr7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)Underneath her head is where the apple piece was lol.

And here's just another random pic of her!:)http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6849/kishiiadorableqd0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

buttercup132
11-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Can rabbits have cabbage? my parents always save it for my rabbits and I only give them a tiny bit because I dont know how safe it is for them.... Yes it's fine for them. My Tedd had some tonight

I was wondering, have you tried Timothy Hay cubes? They are fine as long as you don't use them to replace regular hay. I give them to Tedd to wear his teeth down.

Rabbits are lactose intolerant those yougurt drops aren't at all good for them. Unless it's maybe one a month. I read the back of a treat package one time in Super Pet and the ingredients were terrible, some things were poison for bunnies!! I only give him things to chew on from the stores no treats veggies are better and he thinks they are the greatest thing so no need for store stuff.