PDA

View Full Version : For the new members - Our Sequoia

Denyce
11-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I realized after reading a comment on the other thread I posted that it had been so long since I have been around that there are many new members that don't know Sequoia. So here she is again.

She is our rescue husky. A couple of years ago we got a call to go and pick up this husky from an abusive home. We had a foster home for her with a friend that breeds huskies so we went on a saturday morning and got her. She was all a yellowish white color, her coat was very coarse and she was underweight. But she had these beautiful blue eyes and the sweetest most loving personality. When she got in the back seat of the car she put her chin on first my shoulder and then my husbands and gave us both a lick on the cheek as if to say Thank You. She never once whined nor looked back at the place we were driving away from.

We kept her that first weekend at our place because her foster mom was working 16 hour days and we didn't want Sequoia to be alone. That first Sunday night we left her at her foster mom's she just cried! Well...lets say she pretty much screamed as if we had ripped her heart out and thrown it on the floor stomping all over it. We just bawled. But we knew she was being well taken care of and we felt at the time we couldn't keep her because of her cat aggression issues. Since we have 7 rescued cats in the house it just didn't seem possible.

Well over the next couple of months we spent as much time with her as we could. We took her to social events and parks and brought her back to our home where we put up zip lines on the porch and in the woods out back for her to be on since we didn't have a fenced in yard or kennal. We worked on finding her a home and socializing her with other dogs. All the while we kept falling more and more in love with her.

Finally on Labor Day weekend my husband and I looked at each other and said...you know...we can just make it work...we just couldn't bring ourselves to take her back to the foster home. So we went to Lowes and bought a kennal in a box. My husband had been spending the summer builind this mansion of a dog house with framed and insulated walls, linoleum floors, louvered windows and a porch all shingled in ceder with a windbreak. So we attached the kennel to the front of the dog mansion and placed in across from the house so it is in the woods yet under a picnic pavilion so it is totally shaded from the hot sun and protected from wind.

So we brought Sequoia into our home and hearts. She spends her days either in her kennel or on the porch and in the evenings we bring her in the house and the cats retire to the bedroom where they are safe. Sequoia has her own bedroom which in climate controlled she sleeps in at night. We take her with us everywhere we can, including vacations in Montreal. We love her, spoil her and can't imagine our lives without her. We have tried working on her aggression with the cats and at times she has touched noses with a couple of them with no growing or lunging. However, we are very protective of all of them and are EXTREMELY cautious in any contact. So anyway..here is our beautiful Sequoia.

Enjoying a frostypaw
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/Seqfrostypaw.jpg
with her cardinal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/Sequioacardinal.jpg
At Cook Forest this summer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/DSCN0781.jpg
in the snow
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/050224070546.jpg

sorry these seem so large..I kept resizing them on photobucket...*sigh*

borzoimom
11-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the information.

pitc9
11-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm glad you stopped back here to give us an update!
And what a WONDERFL update it is!!!

She sure has found the perfect home!
:D

Dorothy39
11-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm so thankful for your informative story of how you met and then adopted your beautiful Husky named Sequoia.

I have to admit, I would have been putty in her paws as well, she is so very beautiful!!!!

It was so good of you to re-tell her story~

shais_mom
11-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm so glad that things are working out for you and Sequoia! :)

cyber-sibes
11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Denyce, it's SO good to see pictures of your beautiful girl again! i've wondered how she's doing. Wow, that sounds like some fancy place your hubby built for her - and I thought mine got carried away! :rolleyes: Please don't stay away for so long next time - I love seeing pictures of Sequoia.

wolf_Q
11-24-2006, 10:31 PM
I remember Sequoia well, I'm glad to see photos of her again. She's such a gorgeous husky! I love the white patch on her neck. Please share photos of her with us more often!

CathyBogart
11-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Gosh I had a startled moment when I saw this thread. One of my classmate/friends is named Denyce and she has a lovely pup named Sequoia. :)

Anyways, thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear things are going so well. :)

BC_MoM
11-25-2006, 01:28 AM
That truely is a real rescue story. :) A very heartwarming one, as well.

CountryWolf07
11-25-2006, 02:07 AM
She's beautiful. :)

Almita
11-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I remember Sequioia! Glad your okay and are safe. Great pictures by the way, thanks for sharing

Anita Cholaine
11-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm glad you made this thread, since I don't really remember seeing Sequoia before :o. She's such a sweetheart!! Thanks for sharing her rescue story ;)