PDA

View Full Version : Help with my computer please!

Argranade
11-23-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm having internet problems,

Sex themes and pop ups keep well .. popping up! I can't take it anymore!

I'm trying to install a McFee Virus protector but when I do this little pop up comes up and says this.

The Insallation cannot continue untill you modify your Internet Explorer security settings.

Please enable the following options, and retry the installation.

- Download sighned ActiveX controls
- Run ActiveX controls and plug ins
- Scrpit ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
- Active Scripping.

WHAT THE HEC DOES THIS ALL MEAN???

(I'm gona get a virus great protector soon but what can I do for now?

My computer is going VERY! much slower :(

I can't even bold my letters on PT!

Catty1
11-23-2006, 09:11 PM
go to www.grisoft.com and download AVG Free Edition

Then go to www.lavasoft.com and download the free Ad-Aware personal.

The first is for viruses, the second for spyware.

As far as Active X controls...at this distance, all I can suggest is clicking on Start then on Help, and type in Active X Controls. Hopefully you will get some help!

Lady's Human
11-23-2006, 09:14 PM
First,

Download Spybot S+D, and AdAware personal edition. Follow the instructions that comes with the s/w, run them, and that will eliminate the popups (Or should, anyway).

Second, the messages from the installation are easy to follow.

In your IE window, click on the "Tools" menu, then go all the way to the bottom to internet options.

click on the "security" tab and click custom. In that window you should find all the security settings it is asking you to change. After you do that, close the security window and click apply. After that you should be all set.

dukedogsmom
11-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Good luck! The last virus I had made my computer run so slow that I couldn't even do anything on it. I hope you can get it taken care of. I know how frustrating it can be.

Argranade
11-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Are these things free?

Lady's Human can you please give me the links?

Right now I just installed - System Doctor into my computer, should I unstall it then use the protectors you suggested?

Thanks everyone!

dukedogsmom
11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
That's for Spybot
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Catty1
11-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Lady's Human and my post mentioned Ad-Aware personal. It is free. They have a new website: www.lavasoft.com

Or Google it.

I got a System Doctor popup the other day, and followed through til it wanted money. I don't trust it.

I'd uninstall that and use Spybot or AVG Free edition.

You should be able to find any of these thru a Google search. :)

Lady's Human
11-23-2006, 09:56 PM
Any security software that you find by following popups should be automatically suspect.

spybot and ad aware are both excellent, and both free.

Remove system Doctor, then run spybot. Chances are system doctor has left snail trails in your computer which will lead to more spyware, malware, and other nasties.

ChrisH
11-24-2006, 03:56 AM
I have both Spybot & AdAware and run them regularly, excellent products. My anti-virus is the Avast Home edition - http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html - again an excellent product.
And the good thing about all three is they are free!

I would also recommend installing a firewall.

king2005
11-24-2006, 08:47 AM
I'm having internet problems,

Sex themes and pop ups keep well .. popping up! I can't take it anymore!

I'm trying to install a McFee Virus protector but when I do this little pop up comes up and says this.

The Insallation cannot continue untill you modify your Internet Explorer security settings.

Please enable the following options, and retry the installation.

- Download sighned ActiveX controls
- Run ActiveX controls and plug ins
- Scrpit ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
- Active Scripping.

WHAT THE HEC DOES THIS ALL MEAN???

(I'm gona get a virus great protector soon but what can I do for now?

My computer is going VERY! much slower :(

I can't even bold my letters on PT!

If you can get permission from your folks, Ican come over & clean the computer up for a can of pop Pepsi, or Coke, or RootBeer(thats my cost lol).

It'll take me a couple of hours, but I don't mind. I take regular care of Chad's (we live in the same house), the car dealer i got my car from (he's in Georgetown), & a lady in Ottawa. So I don't mind adding you to my list, as you can do most of the upkeep on your own (its super easy the way I set things up).

All the programs I use are free, so there is no cost to you.

Ask Jenn, I helped her get her work computer functioning a lot better & we did that over MSN. I couldn't help her fully as I need to be there, but she can now atleast get her work done, without her computer crashing every 2 seconds.

I'm leaving for Ottawa this weekend, so I cannot help then.. But I can come over during the week after 5pm (I work normal hours). Chad will be with me, as I don't feel comfy driving alone in Toronto yet. I can bring Quinn with me, if you like. Quinn is the funky black rat I have.

Hope I can help