PDA

View Full Version : Need rattie advice...

moosmom
11-23-2006, 08:29 AM
I rescued a one-eyed "feeder" rat from my job a few weeks ago, so I'm kinda new at being a rattie mama. His name is Winkie. He was supposed to be a snake's dinner until I stepped in. He's now at my apt in an aquarium and is the most wonderful little boy. I take him out alot and hang with him. He cuddles under my shirt and goes to sleep, popping his head out every now and then. I've been feeding him the normal rattie food, along with stuff (Kaytee brand) that looks like trail mix for rodents, chew sticks, apples and carrots (he went crazy over the carrots).

What I'd like to know is, what else can I give him as a treat?? He has pretty large *ahem* testicles and I was wondering if he can be neutered to prevent any kind of testicular cancer.

I absolutely love this little guy. He's gentle, doesn't bite and my cats seem to be afraid of him, except for MooShoo, who goes nose to nose with him.

Any advice you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Muddy4paws
11-23-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm getting a rat soon! I know there is something about oranges. It said not to give them to male rats because its got something bad for them? I'm sure Chilli can reply more on that!

I've read they like peas pasta dried or cooked wholemeal bread basically table scraps!

This website has helped me alot with my research :)
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/home/ (http://)

IRescue452
11-23-2006, 02:44 PM
My girlfriend feeds hers normal people food because processed rodent pellets are really bad for their health, worse than dog kibble is to dogs. I don't know what they can't have, but I know she won't give hers peanuts.

Chilli
11-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Glad to hear the little guy is getting alot of yummy treats. =D
Some of the things my guys & girls go crazy over is:
Watermelon, Cantelope, Green Beans, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Spinach, Peas, Corn, Bell Peppers, Peaches, Blueberries, Strawberries.. and you can't forget bananas(but make sure they aren't green bananas, as thats not great for them.) Really, rats can eat a wide variety.
Do gradually introduce Winkie to new foods, as too much can be hard on his stomach. You may have to experiment with foods to see which he prefers... as with my rats, some of them might not touch something while the other rats will love it!
Things to stay away from are: Too much peanut butter. It can get stuck to the roof of their mouth and they may choke to death.

And about the orange issue mentioned above, its said to only be the orange rinds, and that some male rats have no problems with it. I wouldn't take any chances, though. The reason it only affects male rats, I believe, is because the males have a naturally occuring protein, and a certain chemical the orange rinds puts into the male rats body makes protein build up in the kidneys, normally resulting in kidney cancer. (Don't quote me on that! I may have gotten it mixes up with another fact. :o)

Also, yes, you can get a rat neutered. I wouldn't do it, though. I have 6 male rats and have researched it before. Males don't have as high of a chance to get tumors as female rats do, and if they do get tumors, its not testicular tumors. The only help you'd pretty much be doing by getting him neutered would be a better temperment, a nicer looking coat, & less territorial markings(resulting in less of an odor). Since Winkie already seems to have a nice temperment, and the fact that a good coat comes from a good diet and the odor comes from infrequent cleanings or an unsuitable litter, I still advise against getting him neutered.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me. :D

Miss Z
11-24-2006, 02:41 PM
^ Covered extremely well! :D

Put in my shorter terms (unfortunately not as much time to type long stuff that much at the moment) stuff that you wouldn't eat yourself, your rat won't either. That basically covers rinds, peelings, too much fats, excessively salty foods and food you think may have gone a little past its date. I'm pretty sure citrus is generally a no-no, and peanuts and sunflower seeds can be given in small amounts, not too many as they are high in fat and can also lead to oily skin and fur. Tia really likes milk or yoghurt, served in a coca-cola bottlecap :p

Donna, you MUST take a picture of MooShoo and Winkie touching noses, that is too cute to miss!

Kfamr
11-24-2006, 05:41 PM
One thing that I noticed no one mentioned is getting an actual cage with levels. I was always told that it is a no-no to keep rodents in aquariums.
I year or so ago I posted a thread asking to know everything about Rattie care because I was thinking of getting one... everyone suggested a wire cage with atleast 2 levels.

Also, many rat owners rave over the Suebee diet... here's a link to a "recipe"

http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html

Chilli
11-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Kay is right... I didn't even notice the mention of an aquarium until reading the post above, and then, after re-reading the original message, I see.
An aquarium is okay only for temporarily housing until a more suitable cage is aquired. For example, when quarantining new rats, if the actual quarantine cage isn't available(such as now, when one of the hamsters is calling it home), I use an aquarium, as they will only be in it for 3-4 weeks.
Even with regular cleanings to keep the ammonia level down, aquariums typically don't provide enough for the rats to climb on. Rats love tall cages where they are able to climb up and down the side, to many different levels. My boys like for me to scratch their tummies through the cage bars when I pass by the cage. =D
And also as Kay mentioned, homemade diets are typically better, plus, your rattie would enjoy it more. After I switched mine over to the homemade diet, they will stick their nose up to the mixes that are aquired through a petstore.

I forgot to ask, if this hasn't been asked already, do you plan to get another male rattie for Winkie to be friends with? Rats are pack animals, and even with alot of human attention, most crave attention from their own kind. Eventhough Winkie only has one eye, he should be fine with a friend, especially if the friend is introduced at a younger age. Disabled rats do perfectly fine! My Sid has a neurological problem so that his balance is horrible and he just.. well.. doesn't think right. He is housed with 3 other males(soon to be 4 after quarantine is over) and he does perfectly fine.

Sorry for such a long reply. :o I get carried away sometimes, especially when talking about rats!

moosmom
11-25-2006, 11:22 AM
I went to the grocery store last night and bought an orange (my manager at Petco said they like them. He didn't).

I also bought him a few string beans, bananas, yogurt (different flavors) and carrots and an apple. He LOVES carrots.

I've been handling him alot and he loves hanging out with me while watching tv. I supposed I could get him a buddy. That's something I'll have to think about.

Thanks for all the great advice! I really appreciate it.

luckies4me
11-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Ahhh, so much wrong info in this thread. :( First off neutering a rat does not harm them and they are just as prone to getting tumors (especially mammary tumors) as does are. Neutering a rat should be done as early as possible due to their chance of bleeding during the surgery. Most breeders such as myself choose to neuter their rats at about 6 to 8 weeks of age. Their chances of recovering quickly are greater, plus having a rat neutered can help tremendously with agression issues that may not pop up until later when they reach sexual maturity. Usually around 7 to 9 months of age. Just because he's a nice fellow now doesn't mean he'll stay that way. And just FYI, testicular cancer in rats is becoming much more common due to processed foods and bad breeding. If you do choose to neuter your rat please find a rat knowledgable veterinarian. Do research, ask tons of questions! You want to find a vet who has neutered rats before. Some clinics do them very often, and these are who you want to seek out. Neutering rabbits is much more complicated than neutering a rat so don't worry too much. ;)

Oranges are a no no for male rats, but seem to be perfectly fine for females. I would definitely stay away from these.

My girlfriend feeds hers normal people food because processed rodent pellets are really bad for their health, worse than dog kibble is to dogs. I don't know what they can't have, but I know she won't give hers peanuts.

This is very untrue. Lab blocks and premium dog food are much much more healthy than traditional mixes. Lab blocks have 100% complete nutrition for rodents and are made that way. A good block to try? Harlan Teklad. These are the blocks most labs use to feed their rodents and keep them in tip top condition. http://www.teklad.com/ Of course, feeding just pellets is pretty boring. Would you want to eat the same thing day in and day out? Try spicing it up by introducing fresh veggies and fruits. Good ones to try are peas (frozen during the summer...you can play your own version of bobbing for apples), apples, carrots, green and red leaf lettuce, kiwi, banana etc. Absolutely NO cauliflower or broccoli!!! This can cause very bad gas which does not make for a happy ratty. Rats also love nuts (don't feed too many!), pasta etc. I give mine spaghetti and tuna cassarole often and they really enjoy it. Try not to give too much though as they can get pudgy quickly. Usually whatever is healthy for you is healthy for your rats.

I usually go to the health food store such as Trader Joe's to make my own mix. I buy only organic ingredients and mix a few pounds together in a bucket. It's far cheaper than buying a commercial mix and a LOT healthier. Kay is right on in regards to housing. Due to rats being prone to uri's having one live in an aquarium isn't a great idea. It may not smell to us, but imagine being that close to your bedding in such a confined area. They are right on top of their feces and urine, and being close to amonia isn't a good thing. Having a multi level cage is preferred, as long as the bar spacing isn't too big. Some good cage companies to try are http://www.martinscages.com/ , and Quality cages. http://www.qualitycage.com/ Both ship directly to your home for a small fee.

As others have mentioned please try to get a friend for Winkie. Rats are very very social! Here is a good article on why rats should have company that I find very helpful for new owners.

http://www.rmca.org/Resources/apair.txt

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask. I've been breeding rats professionally for about 10 years or so. Not that I know everything but I know quite a lot. ;) Oh and thank you for rescuing this sweet boy! I think pictures are in order. :D