PDA

View Full Version : Would you own a pit bull?

belterv
11-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Would you own a sweetheart pit bull if you could?
I would... but can't. My mom doesn't like them. Well, I wouldn't nesecarily say she does not like them but she does not want to have one because of all the problems we may have with the neighbors if we own a pit bull. And because so many people around us are afraid of them. *shrugs* I wouldn't really care. I still would love to own one...
What about you?

Husky15
11-22-2006, 06:50 PM
YES.

I do not own one either because of my parents, but I'm owning one in the future.

kittycats_delight
11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Absolutely !!! 150% yes I would. We are actually planning on getting a dog once we move out of my father-in-laws house. And we WILL be getting a pittie. The reason we have not gotten one already is the fact that my father-in-law thinks dogs should live outside 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. My dog will not spend his life in a garden fenced or not.

belterv
11-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Absolutely !!! 150% yes I would. We are actually planning on getting a dog once we move out of my father-in-laws house. And we WILL be getting a pittie. The reason we have not gotten one already is the fact that my father-in-law thinks dogs should live outside 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. My dog will not spend his life in a garden fenced or not.
Excellent choice. :) ;)

.sarah
11-22-2006, 08:43 PM
In a heartbeat! I love Pitties.

CathyBogart
11-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Without hesitation!! Pittie love!!

IRescue452
11-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Yes but I probably never will. There's too many other dogs I want to own first. But if a pittie came along when I am looking for a dog, no problem.

luvofallhorses
11-22-2006, 09:40 PM
YES, of course! :D pit bulls are my dream dog! :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-22-2006, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't, jsut because they aren't my type of dog. There are only about 4 breeds I can truly see myself with ever, and a Pitbull is not one of them. I do love them though. :)

Uabassoon
11-22-2006, 10:38 PM
I like them but I don't think I would ever own one just because like the poster above I think they just aren't the right dog for me. However if I was looking for a dog and fell in love with one at the shelter and was convinced it was the right dog then I would.

dogzr#1
11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I would love to own a pit bull when I get older! Of course, I would have to research the breed a lot and all that stuff, but I can really see myself adopting one.

Suki Wingy
11-22-2006, 10:56 PM
I clicked yes because we don't know for sure if Nino is part. My mom thinks he is. If we got another dog right now it would most likley be part pit (a rescue) because my mom seems to like the bully breeds a lot. I feel like the personality of most bully breeds matches mine.

Alasse
11-23-2006, 02:48 AM
No never...not my kinda dog at all

Also am definately not permitted to have them here....they are banned in my city

cloverfdx
11-23-2006, 05:57 AM
I would love a pittie or pittie or Am Staff type dog, stupid council laws here though take away our right to own certain breeds 'types' of dogs :(. My Mum and i actually spent quite some time with an Am Staff breeder a while ago (6 or so years ago) talking to him and getting to know his dogs, we both fell in love with the breed but my 'father' would not allow us to have one :(.

So yes i would if i could ;).

JenBKR
11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
If a pittie chose me, then yes I would let him/her own me :D

Pam
11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
I wouldn't, jsut because they aren't my type of dog.

That is how I feel too. My #1 love is for poodles and, even though I would some day love to have a pug, I just gravitate to poodles and probably always will. :)

molucass
11-23-2006, 09:24 AM
We have 2 pit bulls right now. Baby and Morgan. I don't think I could ever see myself not being owned by this breed. Along with a few others, they are one of my favorite breeds.

BC_MoM
11-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I voted no. As much as I love them and think they are adorable, I don't think I'd be the right owner for one. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Probably not, they are not allowed in Denver. I would own one if we lived somewhere else and I fell in love with one, though, but they wouldn't necessarily be the breed I would choose first. My favorites dogs are in the herding group.

GreyhoundGirl
11-23-2006, 02:47 PM
No.

Don't hate me yet ! I have nothing against the breed. I find them cute and nice-tempered. But I would never own one. I like weak dogs, lol. I'm just not a fan of big, strong, muscular dogs. I'll stick with the boney look. :) And I just like hounds. Hounds are nice...

Twisterdog
11-23-2006, 11:35 PM
No.

Nothing against the breed at all, I've rescued and fostered many pit bulls in the past. I just prefer smaller dogs, personally.

I also will not be getting any more dogs until all the ones I have now have passed away ... and Rosie is only a year old. So, by that time, we will have no more kids at home and will be selling the house and business here, and moving somewhere warm! We'd rather make the move dogless, or at least with only one or two small dogs left, at the most. Much easier than trying to find a place to live with a bunch of dogs. And, honestly, fair or not, there are a lot of cities, counties, apartment complexes, etc. that do not allow pit bulls.

Of course, never say never when it comes to dogs. If you would have asked me a year ago if I would ever own a dachshund or an English bulldog I would have said "NEVER!" ... and here I sit with both of them! :rolleyes:

caseysmom
11-24-2006, 12:32 AM
I would in a heart beat...specifically Ebony hehe....

It would bug me the stupid prejudice people that might make comments though.

ParNone
11-24-2006, 06:52 AM
No, I'm a bit partial to the scruffy terriers. So where terriers are concerned, I can't see myself going for a pittie, when I could have a cute lil' Cairn or Border or Westie or Welshie, etc. Even with the bully ones, I'd go for a Bull Terrier. I love their odd shaped heads and they seem to have real clownish personalities.

The reality is though, now that I'm spoiled by Collies, it's gonna be real hard to go outside of the herding group for any future dogs. I'm not sure I've got the training patience for a terrier now.

Par...

catnapper
11-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Definately! I love every pittie that has come into my classroom... there's one I threaten to kidnap every class :D

lute
11-24-2006, 12:54 PM
yes, i would own a pittie! they are great dogs!

Danegirl2208
11-24-2006, 01:05 PM
yes i would! My passion lies with Great Danes of course, but pit bulls have always had a special place in my heart .. i will have one someday.

Chilli
11-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I would, if the opportunity came upon me, but I wouldn't go out seeking one for myself. Honestly, if I was in the situation, I'd take in any breed. Though I certainly can't deny that I'm very fond of pitties.. I'm a sucker for stocky dogs. =D

Miss Z
11-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I voted 'no', simply because I don't think they would be a dog to suit my lifestyle. I do think they are cute and have a very undeserved reputation, but I see myself more with either a lab or a toy dog.

Almita
11-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Already own one :)

Danegirl2208
11-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Already own one :)

Almita, I am in desperate need of a Brie fix ;)

Suki Wingy
11-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I second that! She's one of the cutest dogs ever and we barley ever see her!

Foxed
11-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Yes. I don't know if I ever actually will, but it's not totally out of the question.

wolf_Q
11-24-2006, 10:19 PM
I voted no, but it's more of a "no I wouldn't go out looking for a pit bull, but if I fell in love then I would." ;) I don't have anything against them, I just don't think they are the right breed for me.

Argranade
11-25-2006, 10:41 AM
No, there not my type of dog but I do love them.

critter crazy
11-25-2006, 11:32 AM
I would love to own one!! I would definitely bring one home, if It needed a home. Hubby is against them, but he can be easily persuaded!! he is a huge softy when it comes to animals, even though he denies it!:rolleyes:

binka_nugget
11-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Yup, I would love to be owned by a Pittie one day. My house will be filled with Belgians and Shelties, but I'm sure I could find room for a Pittie one day. ;)

cali
11-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I would like to own leaner build Pittie one day(I dont like short and stocky on ANY dog) dont know if it will ever happen with my obbession of BCs and Tollers lol but I can dream :p

cali
11-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I would like to own leaner build Pittie one day(I dont like short and stocky on ANY dog) dont know if it will ever happen with my obbession of BCs and Tollers lol but I can dream :p

Alysser
11-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I would LOVE a pitbull, I would definatley take one if the right dog came along.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
11-25-2006, 03:40 PM
No, I probably never would. They are not the right breed for me, I do love them though. :D

Almita
11-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks Danegirl and Eva. I'll try to get some pictures up soon ;)

animal_rescue
11-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I would love to own a pittie one day. I'm already in love with Tony at my shelter and have been dieing to just bring him home.. *sigh*

areias
11-26-2006, 02:08 AM
I might own one one day, but not right now and not any time soon. There was a pit that came into the vet clinic before, and had I not been moving, I would have taken her in an instant. Here, you really can't own a pit while renting, it's really hard. She was heartworm positive and so emaciated. I fell for her hard but it wasn't possible to take her in, and the people that had found her couldn't afford the heartworm treatment plus everything else. She had a nice big meal and then we let her go to play at the rainbow bridge. If the situation had been right, she'd be mine right now. But nonetheless, it would probably be a rescue.

If by some rare chance (maybe a future SO) that I decide to get a pit puppy from a breeder or something (not likely) I would do a lot of research. Pits aren't totally my breed, but there are so many different types and personalities that you never know. It's hard to take a chance as aggression can be genetic. A friend has a pit who's father was very aggressive (he was stolen and she was happy) and the puppy is now starting to bite people that come over-this dog has never been mistreated in his life. So it's hard to say if I would "go out and get one".

luvofallhorses
11-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I might own one one day, but not right now and not any time soon. There was a pit that came into the vet clinic before, and had I not been moving, I would have taken her in an instant. Here, you really can't own a pit while renting, it's really hard. She was heartworm positive and so emaciated. I fell for her hard but it wasn't possible to take her in, and the people that had found her couldn't afford the heartworm treatment plus everything else. She had a nice big meal and then we let her go to play at the rainbow bridge. If the situation had been right, she'd be mine right now. But nonetheless, it would probably be a rescue.

If by some rare chance (maybe a future SO) that I decide to get a pit puppy from a breeder or something (not likely) I would do a lot of research. Pits aren't totally my breed, but there are so many different types and personalities that you never know. It's hard to take a chance as aggression can be genetic. A friend has a pit who's father was very aggressive (he was stolen and she was happy) and the puppy is now starting to bite people that come over-this dog has never been mistreated in his life. So it's hard to say if I would "go out and get one".

they are NOT aggressive by genetics imo. it depends how they are raised.

dab_20
11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I do like the look of American Pit Bull Terriers. I can't won one right now because of my family, but I don't think I will own one in the future, either. They just are not my type of dog. I don't want a dominant dog, as I'm not very good with them. That may change as I get older and more experienced with dogs, though.

cassiesmom
11-30-2006, 01:06 PM
You know... Before I started seeing photos and reading the posts on Pet Talk I would have said no, absolutely not. But now I'm not so sure. If a Pit Bull came along that needed love and care, and if I were in a position to provide that, I'd have to consider it. Same with any dog or cat, I think. I'd be here posting asking the Pit Bull people for guidance, though :D

pitc9
12-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Yes I would!
If I were looking for a dog and found a pittie in a rescue or shelter that needed saved I'd adopt one!

Queen of Poop
12-06-2006, 03:08 PM
I love all animals and think pitties are very adorable but I would not own one simply because they are too big and strong for me. I'm pretty tiny and prefer to stick with a critter I can manage easily. At 5' and 100 lbs I'm afraid a pittie would take me for quite a "drag" around the neighborhood.

jesse_3
12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes! I love pitties! I would prefer to have my own husky family, but there is room for three other breeds (pittie, Aussie and ESS!)
Pitties are great dogs, and well, I am in love with them!

manda_moo87
12-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Definately, always have had a soft spot for Pitties. :)

animalluver21
12-27-2006, 04:50 PM
yes i would love one!

Kalei
12-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Yes, I would own one if one came along that I just fell in love with, my I"m more of a German Shepherd, Borzoi, or Great Dane type of person. I love the tall pretty dogs! lol.