PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk turkey!

caseysmom
11-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Actually lets talk recipes. I have been cooking the Thanksgiving dinner for 20 years now. I need some fresh ideas! I don't really want to go to the dreaded grocery store anymore but maybe some fresh ideas.

I need some ideas on the yams, I usually bake them like a regular potatoe, then peel them and mix them with butter and brown sugar and put the marshmellows on top and brown them.

I was thinking this year of using condensed milk in the regular mashed pototoes and the yams...does anyone else do this?

I always put the turkey in one of those plastic cooking bags...don't have to baste it and it always comes out pretty moist.

Kfamr
11-22-2006, 11:29 AM
May not be practical at the moment as they can get a bit expensive, but something to think about in the future... a turkey fryer!

We fry our turkey every year and it is absolutely scrumptious! So moist and flavourful.

wolflady
11-22-2006, 11:30 AM
This will be my first year cooking Thanksgiving dinner alone, and I'm afraid that it's going to be a flop! Is cooking a turkey hard? I always thought it seemed so since my mom was in the kitchen all day long!
Any ideas for an easy turkey would be most appreciated!

For regular mashed potatoes, I haven't used condensed milk, but I have used 1.5 cups buttermilk, half stick of butter, and a cup of parmesean cheese for yummy cheesy buttermilk potatoes!

**hugs**

Queen of Poop
11-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Cooking a turkey is the easiest thing in the world. Just don't under cook it. My grandma's recipe calls for it to be stuffed. Cooked at 325oF for the correct amount of hours for the weight of the turkey. If you can wiggle a leg and it's loose then it is cooked long enough. I personally baste my turkey every 30 minutes for the entire cooking time (usually 5 hours).

My mother-in-law has started cooking her turkey upside down. The thought being that the juices stay in the breast.

Vela
11-22-2006, 11:39 AM
If you want a perfect turkey every time, do this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html

I kid you not BEST turkey and flavor ever. Even the leftovers were juicy and had flavor all throughout, days later. Even read the reveiws. The only thing I changed is I did not use the cinnamon or candied ginger, and i put a little water in the bottom of the shallow pan the turkey and rack was on, so the drippings didnt smoke when it was on 500 degrees for the 30 minutes. Oh also I used chicken broth instead of vegetable stock, since I had that on hand. Honestly you won't be sorry. I cooked an 18 pound bird for 3 hours. It's the sicence behind it that makes it work every time, but you probably don't want to hear about that LOL. But trust me, you won't have dry turkey in any way and the flavor infuses throughout the whole turkey, it's also really easy.

For the sweet potatoes or yams, sure use the evap milk, works great, and if your family likes nuts, mix pecans, little bit of butter and brown sugar to make a struesel, rather than the marshamallows. I had people who HATE yams say they actually loved them. They won't eat them unless I make them like that.

Have a great holiday!

wolflady
11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Yum! Thanks for the tips! :)

caseysmom
11-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips...Kay...the thought of me and a turkey fryer is scary beyond words...you have to know my history...I almost caught the house on fire barbequeing once :D

pitc9
11-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I never really cared for yams/sweet potaotes. My Mom always used to just boil them, cut in think slices and covered with a sweet glaze.
But a few years she started making sweet potato casserole.
YUM!!! :p

http://southernfood.about.com/od/sweetpotatocasseroles/r/bl60414f.htm

Also a new twist on pumpkin pie I'm trying this year:

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&recipe_id=54636

wolflady
11-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Yum! That twist on pumpkin pie looks delicious! Thanks for this last-minute idea...I think I'm going to try it too since it looks pretty easy! ;)

pitc9
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Yum! That twist on pumpkin pie looks delicious! Thanks for this last-minute idea...I think I'm going to try it too since it looks pretty easy! ;)

I know!! :D The BEST part of that pie..... 2 words... NO BAKE!! :D

Vela
11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I've made that pie before, it's quite tasty. I don't like it AS much as others only because I don't care for "instant pudding" taste to things. But everyone else said it was great, and I thought it was okay (which for me is good since I don't usually like anything made with instant pudding like that). It's really easy too.

wolflady
11-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I know!! :D The BEST part of that pie..... 2 words... NO BAKE!! :D

LOL, AMEN sister! :D

Glacier
11-22-2006, 03:42 PM
My sister(who can outcook Martha Stewart!) bastes her turkey with French salad dressing--it's delicious and very moist!

AbbyMom
11-22-2006, 04:05 PM
We now brine our turkey with Kosher salt for a day or two ahead of time like described in the Food Network recipe. It really helps the flavor and moistness.

Now here's a good idea from my MIL: Cook the turkey the day before. I'm cooking mine right now. Tomorrow, I'll have plenty time to slice the completely cooled turkey and then gently reheat in the microwave with a little broth.

If for some reason the turkey is undercooked, you can make up for it then. Since I've started this, I've not been worried so much about undercooking, so I've stopped overcooking! = Much better turkey!

It also leaves room in the oven for other things, such as a scalloped corn casserole, which I only make at Thanksgiving. (Recipe from my wonderful Aunt Betsy.)

My hubby makes candied sweet potatoes in the skllet (after I bake them). If you would like the recipe (from my grandmother), let me know. However, if you do all the cooking by yourself, it's probably not convenient.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Kfamr
11-22-2006, 04:27 PM
My sister(who can outcook Martha Stewart!) bastes her turkey with French salad dressing--it's delicious and very moist!

We thought about doing that this year, but decided against it and go with something that's already been tried with good results.

We inject our's with italian dressing and rub it with our favorite seasonings.

cyber-sibes
11-22-2006, 08:05 PM
I baked 5 pumpkin pies today! my mother always mad a meat stuffing that I make now - by request of my kids! That's in baking right now too. I also made my cranberries with grated orange rind. Everything else is cut up ready to go for tomorrow.

A couple years ago I started cooking my turkey breast-side down for about 2/3 of the cooking time - then flip it over to brown & finish - it's sooooooo juicy & good that way! Thanksgiving is my favorite meal to cook. :) YUM!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-22-2006, 09:41 PM
My mom and dad do most of the cooking. This year I'm doing the mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, and an apple pie.

I use sour cream and a little butter in my mashed potatoes.

The deviled eggs are just a simple deviled eggs, nothing special.

The apple pie is just a frozen apple pie, my family isn't hard to please.

I cooked the deviled eggs and apple pie today and I'll do the mashed potatoes tomorrow at my parents house.

Vela
11-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Sweet potatoes with streusel are done and ready to bake, rolls are baked, ready to be rewarmed, pumpkin, pecan, chocolate cream cheese, lemon cream cheese, and apple pies are done, cranberries chilling in the fridge, turkey in the brine overnight. Now im beat! Time for a good 6 hours of working at my job and ready to be done in time to finish up with potatoes, stuffing, glazed carrots, stuffed celery and Mr. Turkey! Somehow, it all feels worth it when it's over hehe.

joycenalex
11-23-2006, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=Vela]Sweet potatoes with streusel are done and ready to bake, rolls are baked, ready to be rewarmed, pumpkin, pecan, chocolate cream cheese, lemon cream cheese, and apple pies are done, cranberries chilling in the fridge, turkey in the brine overnight. can i come over with some coffee later? :) and whipped cream for the pumpkin?

Vela
11-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Well if you lived here you sure could! I have the coffee already but I have extra! haha.

caseysmom
11-23-2006, 11:09 AM
I took the turkey out of the fridge and it is still frozen! I bought it at least 5 days ago and put it in the fridge. Its in a sink of water right now and seems to be loosening up. This happens every year, next year I will buy it 8 days ahead or something.