PDA

View Full Version : I figured out how to get Nebo to eat his raw diet...

wolf_Q
11-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Cook it in the microwave. :rolleyes: I started buying Nature's Variety frozen raw venison diet a while ago. He loved it at first, he ate about 1 1/2 of the 5 lb bags (alternating with venison kibble every other day) before he decided he hated it. Unfortunately before he decided this I had also bought a 12 lb bag, which wasn't cheap. I tried many times....giving it to him frozen, thawed, and even mixed with tuna (he loves tuna!) He picked out every bit of the tuna and turned his nose up at the rest. I know I'm probably defeating the purpose by cooking it, but its the only way he'll eat it. Does anyone else have a crazy dog like mine? :o

Ginger's Mom
11-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Wait, so he is on the cooked raw diet? Hmm...not sure I have heard of that one. ;) I'm sorry, I know that wasn't helpful, I just couldn't resist. I have given Ginger at different times (weeks apart), a raw chicken leg, frozen/thawed raw meat cubes from a natural dog food store, and a raw meat bone. She never seemed to recognize any of them as actual food. *shrugs shoulders* I was afraid of doing it wrong anyway, so maybe she was picking up on my apprehension.

Kfamr
11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Cooked natural diets are second best, IMO. It defeats the purpose of raw, BUT it still gives more nutrients than most kibbles would.

Silly boy... Typical picky Husky, huh? :p

borzoimom
11-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Cooked natural diets are second best, IMO. It defeats the purpose of raw, BUT it still gives more nutrients than most kibbles would.

Silly boy... Typical picky Husky, huh? :p
I agree!! Maybe the cooking part of this makes the smell more pleasing. Like the difference from cold roast beef sandwich, and one that is warmed is more appealing. And raw diet IS better than most kibbles.

pitc9
11-22-2006, 07:49 AM
{muffled laughter}
...ahem... sorry... I can't keep from giggling! :D

How funny!! Yes... he is a true Husky!

Just last week I was making pumpkin rolls, and had some left over canned pumpkin. So when I mixed up the pups food I put 2 heaping spoon fulls of pumpkin in each of their bowls. Bud was first to the bowls (nothing new :rolleyes: ) Took a big mouth full, looked at me... and SPIT it out all over the floor! :eek: Tried another mouth full and I got the same reaction. Sierra finally wanders over to see what's going on, she takes a sniff of the food bowls.... looks at me, and walks away!! :mad:
They would not touch their food!! I had to throw out the food, wash the bowls and make dinner for them again with out the pumpkin!!
Not quite as funny as your Nebo story, but felt this was as good of a time as any to share it!

Cincy'sMom
11-22-2006, 07:50 AM
I have started giving ours a small amount of Prarie Raw with their dinner. They come in frozen medallians and I defrost for a minute or two in the microwave, but not enough to cook.

While Dazzi and Taggert were here I tried first to feed them a turkey and chicken medallian. Dazzi ate hers, but Taggert picked around it. The next night, I gave them each Lamb. Taggert ate his, but Dazzi picked the pieces out and threw them on the floor. Sunday, I skipped the raw for them. I thought they were the only weird dogs that would turn their noses up at raw meat!!

borzoimom
11-22-2006, 07:57 AM
I wish we had more frozen products available here. We only have one product named canine cravings, and I wonder how it compares to the ones you all have found. I am going to start a new thread on this subject, because since its not available, I just dont know if there are better ones anyway. I dont mind doing the work to make their meals, but once in while my mind thinks- I wish there was a easier way. ...

cyber-sibes
11-22-2006, 10:32 AM
LOL! You know those huskies, they know what they want and you can't make them do a darn thing. Star went on a "I don't like my food unless you douse it in leftovers" bit for a while, and honestly, she'd go for days without eating anything rather than eat something she didn't want.

News Flash to Buddy & Sierra- haven't you heard? Dogs are supposed to love canned pumpkin!

(((hugs))) and belly rubs to Bebo!

pitc9
11-22-2006, 01:01 PM
News Flash to Buddy & Sierra- haven't you heard? Dogs are supposed to love canned pumpkin!

I KNOW!! :eek: :p