PDA

View Full Version : Molly and Doogie

dukedogsmom
11-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Well, they don't look too happy in this first one but they're doing fine. I do have to watch Molly, though. Her prey drive and curiosity are high. She's hard headed in the fact that once she gets something on her mind, she won't give in easily. So, I have to be pretty strict. I think they're doing great since it's only been a few days. I can't get myself to erase Duke from my camera. It's like I lose more of him each day :(
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/112106_2.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/112106_3.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/112106_4.jpg

caseysmom
11-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Hehe I have some pictures of casey with my rb gigi like that...you can tell Molly is thinking okay Mom I will be good. You will never lose Duke, he will be there in your heart where he belongs forever.

Logan
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Valerie, it took me forever to finally let those last pictures of Murphy and Zipper, and my Mimi, go. I think I have them saved on every computer we have. Just had to be sure I didn't lose them.

Molly and Doogie are precious together!!!! :) What great friends they will be!!! Doogie is very flexible, isn't he?

Logan

luvofallhorses
11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
they are so cute together. :) and caseysmom is right, you will never lose Duke he will always be in your heart forever where he belongs. :)

Alysser
11-21-2006, 08:31 PM
The second one is adorable! I'm so glad to hear that Molly is fitting in well with Doogie. I hope things keep improving for you guys. :) I love Doogie's eyes.

ramanth
11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
How adorable! I'll never forget how laid back and easy going Doogie is. :D It's easy to see he and Molly will be best buds.

BOBS DAD
11-21-2006, 08:51 PM
great, great pics.

Ginger's Mom
11-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Wow, Val, I think that is great. In less than a week they can lay that close to each other for pictures? That is fantastic. You have obviously spent a lot of time teaching those babies what it means to be a family. And speaking of families, Duke will always be a part of your family and your heart.

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Molly is just Gorgeous!!!!! I just love her markings!! Cute pics!! :D

Uabassoon
11-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Aww they look great together! Doogie is such a wonderful kitty for adapting to Molly. I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before Molly realizes that Doogie is her new best friend.

chocolatepuppy
11-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Molly and Doogie look great together! They're both adorable. :)

shais_mom
11-21-2006, 10:25 PM
cute pics!
I hope they become good friends!

lute
11-21-2006, 11:11 PM
it's great they are getting along! what a happy pup!

wolf_Q
11-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Adorable! I'm glad they are getting along reasonably well, I'm sure Molly will adjust more to Doogie in time.

pitc9
11-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Great pics Val! Looks like the start of a great friendship!
{{hugs}} to you!

Vela
11-22-2006, 09:15 AM
She just looks like such a sweetie, reminds me a lot of a boxer mix or American bulldog. I'm so glad they are getting on reasonably well for the short time they've had, and I'm so happy you have another baby to share your life with.

Muddy4paws
11-22-2006, 11:04 AM
It must be so hard on you losing Duke but I bet he's given his mum his aproval over your new girl.

Why not try and print out some photos and make a book of him? It might sound silly but I done that when I lost my RB and it helped me

Pembroke_Corgi
11-22-2006, 11:50 AM
They are so cute together! Looks like Molly is adjusting wonderfully. :)

Anita Cholaine
11-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Hey, they are already posing together for pics! I'm sure they will be best buddies soon ;)

Jadapit
11-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Val, those pictures are so precious! Molly has such gentle eyes. Does she turn pink when she plays hard? My Ebony sure does. ;)

wolflady
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Wow, Val, I think that is great. In less than a week they can lay that close to each other for pictures? That is fantastic. You have obviously spent a lot of time teaching those babies what it means to be a family. And speaking of families, Duke will always be a part of your family and your heart.

I agree! :D

I think it's great that these two are already posing for pictures together ;)

**hugs**

Randi
11-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Molly looks like such a sweet girl, I'm sure she'll settle in and get to know the fun side of life soon. She will also help to heal your heart. :)

Those pictures of Molly and Doogie are so precious! It certainly didn't take long to become friends. :)

finn's mom
11-22-2006, 04:57 PM
They are precious. Molly better behave or she'll have a bunch of pet talk people on her tail. ;)

K9soul
11-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Doogie is such a good boy, and wow he's a BIG boy too! :eek: Molly has such a sweet face. I hope you keep posting pictures of her, I love seeing her :)

moosmom
11-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Val,

It's gonna take time, but it looks as though they get along. You know Doogie. He's such a laid-back mellow dude. Duke will ALWAYS be a part of you. You shouldn't have to erase the pictures of him in your camera. I miss him too.

belterv
11-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh how adorable those two are together :D I absoulutly love pitties, as you can tell by my signature ^^

Dorothy39
11-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Thank-You for those pictures , they were great to see!!!!! ;)

cyber-sibes
11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Doogie seems to be saying "yup, she's alright with me...I can ignore her", ah what a cattitude! Cute pics, Val. Obviously Doogie approves. :) Nothing wrong with keeping Duke on your camera, I would do the same. :)

Bengalz
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Aw they are so cute together - Doogie is just a sweetheart, helping Molly to adjust. They'll be great friends in time. Sweet pictures :D

Don't fret about Duke's pictures on your computer - keep them forever. He will always be your special boy and although it still hurts to see those photos, in time, the tears will be less painful and perhaps a smile or two will appear when you see them. Your heart is healing and healing is a painful process.

Take care of yourself and enjoy your new baby - she is a doll :)

Hugs,
Betty

.sarah
11-22-2006, 08:45 PM
She is really adorable. She reminds me a bit of Mandy when she was younger.

molucass
11-23-2006, 06:59 PM
She is so pretty!! I'm glad they are getting along. And Doogie is a handsome boy! :)

I was looking at the pictures, and she looks to me like she has some pitty and boxer in her.. It doesn't matter what she is though.

TFTpwnsYou
11-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Those two are smitten like kittens....errr...uhhhh....smitten like cats and dogs! Amazing how they "don't" get along....lol :) So cute they are!

dukedogsmom
11-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I have already been hard on myself about this so please don't slam me, as well. I took Molly back yesterday. There were many factors in my decision. One being it was way too soon after loosing Duke, I'm still deeply grieving over him. Molly chased Doogie any chance she could get. He was fine as long as he wasn't moving. When he started to move, it was on. So, I kept them separated most of the time. I can't have a dog that isn't 100% cat friendly. I think next, she was too strong for me. I could barely walk her with a no pull harness and there's no way mom could have helped with her. And last, it just didn't feel right. Si, I hope Molly and ya'll forgive me.

I had a talk with the lady at the Humane Society. She said two other people had brought dogs back also, after just loosing one. I asked her if the could not let people adopt that soon after loosing a dog. She also said when I found the right dog, I'd know it. I'm going to wait until my vacation in January and take my time looking. I won't do this to another dog. It's not fair to either of us.

Rachel
11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Val, I am sorry to hear that this did not work out, but your instinct to protect Doogie is correct. We all react differently to grief and sometimes we are in such a state that we can't think of all the ramifications of what we are doing. You have learned much from this experience which will help you to determine which companion is the right one for you. I know you will be grieving for Molly too that it did not work out. You did love her, you just couldn't handle her. My thoughts are with you. Believe me I understand just how difficult this must have been for you.

cyber-sibes
11-26-2006, 10:15 AM
((((hugs)))) Everything will work out for the best, Val. You will know when it's the right time and the right dog. Molly was so sweet, she'll end up in a family thats right for her too. Don't be too hard on yourself. Belly rubs to your lovable Doogie!

shais_mom
11-26-2006, 10:33 AM
While I am sorry to hear this, your instinct is right. Doogie is your priority right now. I was the same way when my Shaianne died, I had Kylie and I wanted to protect her first. So I got a puppy and they grew together.
{{hugs}} I know it wasn't easy.

caseysmom
11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Val I am sorry you had to go through yet more heartache. You tried...thats all you could do. Molly will find a home that is right for her without cats. You will find the right dog for you.

Alysser
11-26-2006, 11:52 AM
I totally understand here. Doogie was here first, so he's the one who stays. I'm 100% sure that precious, Molly, will "click" with someone else. When you find the right dog, you'll know he's the one. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Awwww! How precious!

wolf_Q
11-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Val, I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out with Molly, but I understand your reason. You can't have a dog that would potentially injure Doogie. If I adopted a dog and she was fighting with Nebo I would do the same thing. I'm sure you will find the dog that is right for you it just may take a while.

luvofallhorses
11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't think anyone is going to bash you, Val. I am very sorry it didn't work out. :(
(((HUGS))) and I am sure someone else will give Molly a home. :) please don't be so hard on yourself. you did the best for all of you and that's all that matters. please take care of yourself. you'll be in my thoughts.

kimlovescats
11-26-2006, 06:52 PM
What adorable pics! Molly is so sweet looking! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-26-2006, 06:54 PM
I somehow missed this thread up until now..

I'm very sorry, Val. But we all know that Doogie's safety had to come first. I'm sure the right dog will come along in time. (((hugs))). :)

Karen
11-26-2006, 07:27 PM
We are sure Molly will find a new cat-free home. You did the right thing, and I am sure she enjoyed her little "foster-home" stay with you. Now they can update her chart about cat-chasing, so it is all for the best.

caseysmom
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Val, I was one of the people thinking another dog right away would be just what you needed but I'll admit that might be wrong. The bond you have with Duke is so strong it might work against your relationship with another dog unless you give yourself some time. You most likely will never find that bond you had with Duke, lets face it it was a once in a lifetime thing but you will find a dog that you can love and that will fit in with your lifestyle.

I think about you all the time...I know my saying this might hurt but you have made me appreciate each moment I have with casey, she is my heart dog also. When I hold her I think about how much it must hurt, I really hope it gets easier for you.

Freedom
11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I think this was a great thing all around. As someone else said, this lets the humane society update her chart about chasing cats (and probably other small animals in the house). And it gave Molly some time out of the adoption center so she knows there are better things on the way for her. For you, well, even though giving her up is hurting just now, you will have learned more about what you are feeling, when you will be up to adopting another dog, and I bet Doogie learned something too. (Being a cat, he isn't sharing until he is good and ready.)

Don't worry about having Duke's pics on the computer. I lost Dazzle 19 months ago, and I have his photos EVERYWHERE. On both computers, and on a jump drive "just in case." I printed all of them, TWICE, once for the permanent photo albums, and once for the Dazzle Book. And if I lose them on the computers AND the jump drive, I have copies I can scan in again. So I certainly understand where you are coming from with the pics.

best wishes for a bright future
Sandra

Bengalz
11-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Please don't feel badly about your decision Val - your instincts are correct. Doogie is a loving kitty - we know that from his relationship with Duke. It just wasn't the right time with Molly.

Everything that is meant to be will be in good time. For now take care of your self and take care of Doogie - you now he's there for you.

Hugs,
Betty

K9karen
11-27-2006, 01:39 AM
See? I told you that you wouldn't be bashed. You did what you had to do. God forbid you come home one day and find Doogie injured. It had to be shocking for the furrball too, not used to being chased. Doogie had to be frightened.

You will definitely know when it's time. I did. You need to grieve for as long as it takes. Extra head bumps for Doogie. Head bump yourself for me too! We love you and want what's best for you, dear friend!!!.

Pam
11-27-2006, 06:38 AM
No bashing here either Val. ;) You had to consider Doogie and that is the bottom line. I was in PetsMart once and there was a kitty there in a cage. It was a purebred Persian and just beautiful. The note on the outside of the cage said "my people got a dog and we don't get along so now I am out of a home." I was stunned. Had these people never bonded with their kitty? How could they do that? :confused: When last two poodles died my hubby said no more dogs. The grief was too much for him. We waited almost three years to get Bella (I wanted a dog way before that though). In the meantime my kitties helped me heal and of course the rest is history. Take your time Val and just know that we all understand completely.

kallisto4529
11-28-2006, 03:36 AM
Val I am so sorry you had to take Molly back. I do think you did the best thing though all the way around. You tried and no one is going to blame you for that, Doogie is most important right now. I am kinda in the same boat, not sure about trying to bring another one home right now, mainly because of bei-jing. When the time is right you will know with out any doubt and Duke will help you pick the best one for you and for Doogie.
You are in my thoughts every day.

anna_66
11-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Val I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how things were going, sorry to hear it didn't work out with Molly. When the time comes you'll find "the one".

Forgive me for saying so, but I told Mark when I first read about Molly that you just didn't seem to be very excited, I just didn't hear that excitement in your voice (or in your words) that one usually has when they bring a new dog into the house. I'm glad you did the right thing, for all involved.

Many (((HUGS)))
Anna

Logan
11-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Val, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but if there was concern about Doogie's wellbeing, you did the right thing. All it takes is one slip up and then it is too late. I've had to take the approach with all of our fosters and new additions that the ones who were already here have to come first. I have to be very careful about the ones who come to stay on a temporary or permanent basis. My Golden Retrievers are very calm, even tempered, and submissive dogs. I simply cannot risk upsetting them or having them injured because I wanted to do a good deed. The same goes for Mack and Butter. Mimi was always my biggest concern when she was living because she was so small and old. Thank goodness, we have always been lucky.

The right one will come along when you least expect it, and Molly will find the perfect home, I'm sure.

Logan

lovingpaws
11-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Everyone is different. Some people do need the companionship of another dog/or cat pretty quickly. Others need time. I had 3 dogs, lost first one and did not get another. However after they were all gone, within a short time I was ready for another dog. You have your cat, still your comfort and a place for your heart to share. Go by what YOU feel, and when you are ready.

Now, I have a few photos of my dogs up. They were "family" and I don't take down/away grandmas picture because she passed away, so keep those pictures around and enjoy the warm memories they will give you.

Jadapit
11-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm so sorry it didn't work out with Molly. But you have your precious Doogie to think about. You did the right thing. I'm sure Molly will find a new home soon. The perfect dog will come along when your ready. You are in my thoughts Val, I know how heartbroken you are. (((Hugs)))

lv4dogs
11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
He is such a cutie. I've obviously missed a lot since I haven't been around much. Congrats on the newbie!!! And I am deaply sorry for your loss sweetie. Duke sure was a well loved pup.