PDA

View Full Version : Lambs??

loveforpets
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I am thinking about doing a lamb project in 4-H. You raise a lamb for a few months. What is it like to own a lamb? How do you care for them? Any info appreciated! :) Thanks

Karen
11-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I know I couldn't do it if the lamb is then sold for slaughter, I'd get too attached! Do you have a barn, and pasture available?

loveforpets
11-21-2006, 06:14 PM
I know I couldn't do it if the lamb is then sold for slaughter, I'd get too attached! Do you have a barn, and pasture available?
My 4-H leader said they could live in a large outdoor dog kennel as long as rain cannot get in. And I am worried about getting too attached and then having her sold for slaughter, too... but I bet I could convience my parents to let me keep her... hehe

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
you might be abe to keep a lamb in a dog kennel, but i definitely wouldnt reccomend keepping a full grown sheep in a kennel! They need grazing land, and plenty of room to roam. do you have any property suitable for a lamb?? if not i wouldnt do it.

loveforpets
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
you might be abe to keep a lamb in a dog kennel, but i definitely wouldnt reccomend keepping a full grown sheep in a kennel! They need grazing land, and plenty of room to roam. do you have any property suitable for a lamb?? if not i wouldnt do it.
What do you mean property suitable for a lamb? I am not sure what you. mean.
I would be walking him/her daily and letting her/him in the yard to roam :) We have about an acre at the moment, but will be moving onto three shortly.

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
3 acres would be plenty for a lamb. That sounds fabulous. what i meant by suitable, is the ability to graze, on grass, and run and play. Lambs are very rambunctious and love to play. :)

Suki Wingy
11-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I might get one too. :) I've been in 4-H a few years but I never did a lamb. I did a bunny (Still have him) then a calf (she lives at a family owned dairy farm) and this year I'm doing another heifer, hopefully a summer yearling. I may also get a lamb if other people get them too. (so that we can have a scedule for caring for them.) All the animals live at this historic farm about 15 minutes away from me in the middle of the suburbs, it's great!

loveforpets
11-21-2006, 06:28 PM
3 acres would be plenty for a lamb. That sounds fabulous. what i meant by suitable, is the ability to graze, on grass, and run and play. Lambs are very rambunctious and love to play. :)
Great! Thanks very much. Do you know if they get along with dogs???

loveforpets
11-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I might get one too. :) I've been in 4-H a few years but I never did a lamb. I did a bunny (Still have him) then a calf (she lives at a family owned dairy farm) and this year I'm doing another heifer, hopefully a summer yearling. I may also get a lamb if other people get them too. (so that we can have a scedule for caring for them.) All the animals live at this historic farm about 15 minutes away from me in the middle of the suburbs, it's great!
Thats awesome! Maybe we can share our experiences, tips and tricks on the way if we get lambs at the same time :) The lamb is actually part of the cow project somehow... I don't know much about it though :/ lol

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Great! Thanks very much. Do you know if they get along with dogs???

Lambs can get along with the dogs, but like any animal hae to be slowly introduced and kept a very close eye on! Hope you have tons of fun!:D

loveforpets
11-21-2006, 10:12 PM
What do they need to eat?
Do they get along well with people?
How much excersize do they need?
Do they need to be walked?
Is there any special care they need?
Are they hard to handle by your perspective?

Lambs can get along with the dogs, but like any animal hae to be slowly introduced and kept a very close eye on! Hope you have tons of fun!:D
OK thanks. I was just thinking since they originated from the wolf and lamb is in so many dog foods that they wouldnt get along to well... and the dog would most likely win!

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Here is a great website, that should answer all of your questions!http://lambinators.homestead.com/care.html