PDA

View Full Version : Lou Lou is getting spayed today!

sanford8916
11-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Lou Lou finially made it to the vet to get spayed today. We have had her scheduled several time and something always comes up with her and there goes the money to get her spayed! When I took her in to the vet, she jumped up and put her front feet on the counter to say hi and she peed(I warned them not to talk high pitched to her, she is an excited peer!) When she jumped down she yelped and started limping, what the heck! I first thought she had pulled a muscle. But when I looked closer I reliezed she had split one her back pads open and when the pee hit it, it must of stung, so she yelped! I am sure she did it at home sometime last night, I found a weird spot on the carpet, and it must of been blood from her pad! Poor baby, she will come home tomorrow afternoon with a sore belly and a wrapped up foot. I don't have a clue what she got hurt on. I can't wait until 4:30, when I can call and check on her! Hopefully I can keep Lou Lou calm when she gets home so she doesn't do anything to her stitches. The crate is back out, I am sure she will hate that. Our other dog will be gone until Sunday hunting in Iowa so she won't have a playmate and the cats are getting shut in a room away from her so she won't be tempted to chase them! I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, I am doing nothing but cuddling with my baby girl! :)

Bonny
11-21-2006, 12:55 PM
How old is Lou Lou? In January I have to take my new Australian Shepherd pup Matti in to be spad. They heal up pretty quick from that surgery happy to say. What part of Iowa is the other dog going to hunt in? I am in the northeast corner of the state & pheasant hunting season is in full swing. I hope Lou Lou comes through her surgery with flying colors.

pitc9
11-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Wishing Lou Lou a speedy recovery!!

sanford8916
11-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Lou Lou is 13 months olds, she is very hyper so hopefully they keep her drugged up so she gets rest! I am not sure what part of Iowa, I will have to ask the husband when he gets up(3rd shifter).You would think I would remember, they have been going for over 12 years to the same area. Winchester is an Golden Retriever/lab mix and six years old, he is a hunting fool. My husband has a cd that has a song on it about hunting and there is a part in it where the guy says "ROOSTER" and you can hear the bird getting up and Winchester goes nuts! Lou Lou is my dog so she stays home with me, but she did get to sniff Winchester's birds a couple weeks ago from a hunt and she went nuts too! My husband only wants one hunting dog at a time. 1 1/2 hours and I can call and check on my baby!

borzoimom
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
They heal pretty fast but the first two days, they just want to sleep. Keep us posted for a speedy recovery.

Love That Collie
11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
They do heal pretty fast.

I just had Chloe spayed Tuesday Nov. 14th.
She came home and slept that evening (I paid extra for the pain injection for afterwards) after the spay and the next day she was ready to PLAY, PLAY, PLAY. The vet instructions said I was take her out on a leash for 10 days!! WHAT?? Are they nuts!? I did that one time and the rest she went out by herself. Bailey didn't even bother her. The day after I TRIED to keep her from playing too hard just didn't work. She's fine, she even went to doggie daycare today. She gets her metal sutures out on Friday. I like the metal ones.....they don't EVEN attempt to lick those. :D She did have laser spay though. The only thing Chloe was concerned about was eating, she's 4 1/2 months old and eats a lot at this point in her growing stage but she could only have a small amount of food after I brought her home. Had her at the vet at 8:30am got her back at 3pm.

Good Luck Lou Lou :cool:

kimlovescats
11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
;) Get all better soon, Lou Lou!

sanford8916
11-21-2006, 09:31 PM
I am sure the vet thinks I am nuts. I called them at 4:30 to check on her and then again at 6:30 before going to see Happy Feet with my daughter. They said she is doing great. They think that she hurt her pad a few days ago and they had to trim some of it and bandage her up. I feel awful that I didn't notice it sooner, poor girl. I check her front feet daily becasue she has some kind of allergy that bothers her front feet only. Our vet keeps them overnight. I have a sitter coming at naptime to watch all the daycare kids so I can go pick her up. She will be coming home with a cone and seditives just incase she is a nut to soon and of course a bandaged up foot and a sore belly and they will check her anal glands again, she will never what to go to the vet again!!!. I am not sure what kind of stitches Lou Lou will have, I didn't even think to ask that. Lou Lou was so sad this morning asking for her food, she kept staring at bowl and then running to the bag of dog food! She always eats first thing in the morning and at dinner time! Thanks for all the get well wishes for Lou Lou. Oh and Bonny, Winchester hunts in areas around Toledo, Iowa. They get a hotel there and have several farms that they hunt at. Winchester was so excited to get in the truck tonight. :D

sanford8916
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Lou Lou is home.Besides getting spayed, her back foot is bandaged and her two front feet, have a contact allergy that has gotten worst then I knew it had, so they shaved her feet, and I have to soak her feet in warm water and wash with a special shampoo that kills fungus and bacteria twice a day and they dry them really good and but a cream on them. If this doesn't clear up, then they will put her on steroids, they didn't want to give her that now because it can slow the recovery process from the surgery. They highly recommend that I get her doggie boots to protect her feet and I need to be even stricter about her licking her feet. HIGH MAINTENANCE!!!! I bet she will require about 30-45 minutes a day of hygiene maintenance a day. Right now she is resting but she was pretty hyper when I picked her up and she is a little grumpy but her tummy looks really good. The crate is ready for her if needed. She is a good dog though and we love her very much. The next few days are going to be hard to keep her calm but she is just going to have to deal with it and be a good girl! I hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving!

Ginger's Mom
11-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear that Lou Lou is home and that her stitches look good. Give her some gentle hugs from me when she is feeling up to it, and tell her what a brave girl she is. :)

sanford8916
11-22-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks, she is very cuddly with me so giving her hugs isn't a problem. One of my daycare mom's is stopping at Gander Mountain after work to pick up some dog booties for my girl, need to get the feet all healed up too! So far she is leaving her belly and feet alone so I haven't had to put the E collar on her yet!

sanford8916
11-22-2006, 06:57 PM
She picked up large booties and they don't even come close to fitting her. I think she will need XXL. I would never guess that a 45 pound dog would need XXL booties. But her feet are big, so now she has on my daughter's socks with duck tape to keep them on! I think we might order some from Cabela's instead, they have more choices than Gander Mountain has!

Bonny
11-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Lou Lou sounds like she is doing really well. A person always worries the what if they won't come out of the anathesia (Sp?). I didn't know Cabela's handled dog boots. The sock should work fine for now. You have to be inventive when you have animals to care for. I took a plastic pipe one time & sawed it in half & used it as a splint on a dog that broke its leg. ;)