PDA

View Full Version : We finally moved and we already have a house!!!

Sirrahsim
11-21-2006, 07:49 AM
These past few weeks have been insane!! We managed to get both shipments of our household goods off without a problem and thankfully passed our housing inspection without a problem. Unfortunately we all 3 got sick during this time and are still recovering Scrubbing the kitchen while you have a 102 fever is NO fun. After the house cleaning I was practically incapacitated because every muscle in my body was protesting but it was worth it because the housing inspector was in our house for all of 10 minutes.
After 3 days in a temporary facility and 3 airplane rides we finally arrived here in Texas. The base looks really nice and Tyler is just LOVING all of the wide open spaces that he can run around in. We had heard that housing here was nearly impossible to get into but much to our surprise when my husband went by the housing office today they handed him a set of keys for a house for us to look at!! AND because I am pregnant we get a 3 bedroom house instead of a 2 bedroom! I had to get a written statement from the doctor here verifying that I am pregnant, but that is all it took and have a house! We find out tomorrow when we can move in but to our understanding they are giving us the keys tomorrow when we drop off the letter from the doctor.
The house has a HUGE backyard (relatively huge, we came from a high-rise apartment building with NO yard ) and as soon as we got out of the car Tyler started exploring and saying "WOW, House!" at everything

There are a few concerns. There is some asbestos in the heater closets but supposedly if we don't disturb them it won't matter. Also the house was built back in the 60s so the original paint was lead based It has been painted over countless times since then but they never did an abatement on it so the dangers are still there if it cracks or chips. Besides that it is great with lots of windows and a tree in the front and back yard. It even has a nice patch of dirt out front that has definite garden potential

I'm over the moon :D :D
I'll post pictures just as soon as I can :) Hubby is at a briefing this morning but hopefully we can run the letter from the doc over there this afternoon and pick up our keys :)

smokey the elder
11-21-2006, 07:52 AM
That's great! "Hard" asbestos is pretty safe; it would be more dangerous to disturb it. As long as the lead paint is not accessable, that's not a problem either. Good luck!

Killearn Kitties
11-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Sounds great! Sorry to hear that you were running a fever when leaving your other place! That can't have been any fun.

Karen
11-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Wow, sounds great! What base are you at now?

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-21-2006, 09:16 AM
That is great news, Missy!!

about that asbestos: be sure if it is safe to hit nails into the walls...

cyber-sibes
11-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Congratulations and welcome back! That sounds like a lovely home, yard, trees, & everything. Hope you get to feeling better very soon. :)

jackmilliesmom
11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Congratulations on your new home and know you will all be very happy there. Well done, just take it easy now especially with you being pregnant....

Sirrahsim
11-21-2006, 09:55 AM
We are at Sheppard AB in northern Texas.
I wondered about the walls but they said the asbestos is only in the wood paneling that insulates the heater closets. The rest of the walls are asbestos free so we just can't hammer anything into the heater closets though I can't see why we would anyway :D It's funny, there are two heater closets and they look just like pantry doors but when you open them all you see are the heater thingies. I don't plan on opening them at all besides to change the filters now that I know about the asbestos. I can't wait :) :) :) :) :)

RedHedd
11-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Congratulations! What a wonderful gift for the holidays! Texas weather should be beautiful right about now.

krazyaboutkatz
11-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Congrats!!!:) The house sounds wonderful.:)

kimlovescats
11-21-2006, 11:07 AM
How exciting! Congratulations!

kuhio98
11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Welcome back closer to home! The house sounds wonderful. I'm sure everything will work out just fine. Will Boomer be joining you guys or is he settled in at your Mom's house?

prechrswife
11-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Glad you have made it safely to Texas, and the house sounds great. Have fun settling in. :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Will Boomer be joining you guys or is he settled in at your Mom's house?

Oh yes, I forgot to ask that. Is Boomer going to be a Texas-boy too?

Pembroke_Corgi
11-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Congratulations!! I can't wait to see pictures. :)

persianmom
11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey You have a house. Can't wait until I see the pictures. God has a way of working things out wouldn't you say.
Love MOM

gini
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
What wonderful news that you have a house already and it has THREE bedrooms and a huge yard. That sounds just right for a boy that needs to spread his wings and play outdoors.

I hope it soon is filled with many happy memories.

I also hope you get a chance to rest some - sounds as though you have been on the FAST track for quite a while.