PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Treats?

dukedogsmom
11-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Those of you with cats, I have a question. What makes those hard things in the litter box so tasty to dogs? Molly helped herself at the buffet before I could stop her and then was going to go back for more. Anyone else have a dog like this?

She's kind of a quirky dog. She won't play with her stuffie but today she gently picked up the catnip mouse and carried it back to the dog bed. I threw it once for her also. She got all spastic after our walk in the cold. She smiled today. She's going to be one of those dogs that wags the back half end when she's happy to see you. She almost did that today.

moosmom
11-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Val,

There's a name for dogs eating poo, but I can't remember it. They have something at Petco you can give to dogs to make them stop eating poo. It's called Deter. Not sure if it works, but it's worth a try.

Good luck! How are Molly and Doogie getting along??

Uabassoon
11-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Payson LOVES helping himself to the kitty buffet! We made this using a rubbermaid tub to help stop the problem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/grybai/DSCF0261.jpg

Payson can stick his head through the top, but his head can't reach the bottom of the box to reach the treats. He finds this very frustrating :D

ramanth
11-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Kia adores litter box crunchies. Bleah! I sympathise.

What we did was buy a covered litter box and then placed the opening against the wall so that Zam and Logan can get in, but Kia can't stick her head in and help herself. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Val,

There's a name for dogs eating poo, but I can't remember it. They have something at Petco you can give to dogs to make them stop eating poo. It's called Deter. Not sure if it works, but it's worth a try. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that Deter is for dogs that eat their own poop, not cat poop.

I think a lot of dogs like to eat cat poop. Not only is it gross, but it can be dangerous if they ingest too much litter.

I have my cat box in the laundry room and I have a baby gate on the laundry room door to keep the dogs out.

My friend keeps her litter box in the garage (with the garage door always closed) and has a cat door for her cats to get out to the garage.

caseysmom
11-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Casey does the same thing, its just disgusting. I put the litter box opening facing the wall and have an enclosed box.

Jadapit
11-20-2006, 09:51 AM
I want to say congrat's on getting Molly. She is absolutely beautiful! I'm so happy for the both of you. :D

I dont know about her eating the cat poop, but Ebony also goes crazy after a walk in the cold or if she gets wet she zooms around like a mad woman. They must be super excited and happy when they do that. ;)

shais_mom
11-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Cat poop is so high in protein b/c of the high protein in their cat food they LOVE to eat cat poop.
I keep my covered litter box in the closet and Keegan can't get to it - but before my dad built my walk in closet (Keeg was a puppy) I was on the computer one nite and heard a huge commotion in the bedroom and Keeg was IN the litter box and had tipped it over! So when my dad wanted to build me a walk in closet I said "ok but only if you leave an opening in the closet so Kylie can get in their to use the litter box." my dad was rolling his eyes - the guys that helped him were astounded. You can't teach a cat to go in there- she's going to have a mess. I threw a couple treats in and she went in the closet and that was all she wrote! Haven't had a problem with her going in and out ever! Now my dad thinks he's so clever b/c he built it- but it was my idea!
My nephews came over and they thought I had a HUGE mouse hole!

lizbud
11-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Smokey or Maggie would absolutely eat it if they could get to the poo. :)
I keep the litter boxes downstairs (basement) and block the stair way down
with a chair when I'm not home. They have discovered it out in the yard
before from a wandering kitty. :rolleyes:

lvpets2002
11-20-2006, 11:25 AM
:) Yes I have to make sure not to put any litter dumpings in the back yard with the dogs.. By error did that once & yes both dogs went for it until I went running trying to stop them.. I like to have freaked..

elizabethann
11-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Fenway used to eat the "nuggets" when he was a puppy. But he doesn't anymore. But if he sees them on the grass, he will try to help himself if I don't get to him first.

My sister's dog eats them too. She eventually just moved the box so that the hole faced the wall (it's a covered kitty box).

IRescue452
11-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Autumn did that once. I flipped out using my dissappionted voice tone to tell her how gross that is and I wouldn't let her sleep in my bedroom, she had to spend the night outside my door. She hasn't gone near the catbox since.

CathyBogart
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Oooh, Jasper loves the kitty crunchies! I do suspect that's how he got roundworms....he occasionally finds a kitty-treat while we're out walking. If you find a good solution, let me know! :)

caseysmom
11-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes Cathy my casey got roundworms from my newly inherited kitty potter...I got them all in for meds...luckily bubba didn't get the roundworm even though he has partaken of the almond roca a time or two.

Val...just wait until she has a few treats and plants a big kiss right on your mouth!