PDA

View Full Version : Meet Chipper, Kia's new brother!

ramanth
11-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Totally did not expect this. *laughs*

So Andy and I went to the Pet Expo today and decided to start at one end of the exhibit hall and weave our way through the aisles before catching a few of the shows.

And of course the area we end up starting in is the pet adoption area. :rolleyes:

So we're glancing casually remarking at how cute some of the dogs were. We stopped and chatted at the GSD rescue group and Andy was just smitten with the white GSD's. Andy began asking questions about how their temperament was and the like. I didn't really think anything of it.

Then we ended up wandering past the Oakland County Animal Control booth and started looking casually at the dogs. One caught Andy's eye. A little 2 year old tan and black GSD mix named Chipper. While all the other dogs around him were barking like mad, Chipper just sat there quitely yet alert.

We spoke with one of the volunteers about him and she just raved about him. We decided we'd think about it and browsed the expo hall some more. At 4 p.m. we ambled back that way and asked if we could take Chipper for a walk. They happily obliged. He walked great on a leash, was very attentive to our actions and most of all, was quiet, quiet, quiet! Just about anything tossed his way, he'd just wag his tail curiously at it and stare. He was just like another Kia. Andy was sold and I of course was not going to say no! *laughs*

Introducing him to Kia went very well and we finally had to tell them to stop playing since they were getting louder and louder with each rumble. He's only had two accidents so far (the first Kia literally scared the poop out of him. :eek: :o :p ), but overall he's settling in just fine. He's actually asleep at my feet right now.

So without any further ado, here's Chipper:

The sign on his cage while I was filling out paperwork.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1251.jpg

Getting treats
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1171.jpg

His attentive look
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1172.jpg

Smile
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1176.jpg

Enjoying a greenie
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1178.jpg

We are thinking GSD/ACD/Husky mix, but someone said they think they see Basenji in him (his tail curls over his back). And we're not sure if it's just a normal quirk of his or if his legs were previously injured, but sometimes he'll bend his elbows outward when he stands. Makes him look like a bulldog. :D

He also can stand to gain a few pounds. He's 43 lbs. right now, but you can feel his spine, ribs, and hip bones. Poor guy. We're thinking some canned food to fatten him up, but I'll be asking the vet if there is anything else we can do other than regular feedings.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Congratulations!!! Chipper is beautiful and sounds like he has a wonderful temperament. What a fantastic new addition to your family. :)

kimlovescats
11-19-2006, 11:02 PM
What a sweet doggie! He looks very grateful to be in his new home! I'm glad that Kia accepted him so quickly too! ;)

dukedogsmom
11-19-2006, 11:08 PM
He is just too adorable! And it's so great that he and Kia get along so well. I'll bet they'll have lots of days filled with fun. Once they grab at your heart, you can't resist.

luvofallhorses
11-19-2006, 11:10 PM
oh wow! he's gorgeous! :D Congrats! :) and thanks for adopting him! :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
We decided we'd think about it and browsed the expo hall some more.
... and asked if we could take Chipper for a walk.
He was just like another Kia.
Andy was sold and I of course was not going to say no!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1171.jpg

:D
:)
GOOD GRIEF!
Remind me to steer clear of you guys at the next Dawg Show!

Shue hope Kia stays "friendly" towards Lil Brudder after she figures out he's STAYING!

Hopefully they'll turn into another Cinder + Smokey pair of "twins".

Is there room on the BigBed for FOUR?

WELCOME HOME, Chipper!!
;)

wolf_Q
11-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Congratulations Kimmy!! Chipper is a very handsome dog! :D He looks great with Kia, I'm glad they are getting along so well!

GoldenLuv
11-19-2006, 11:19 PM
aawww he is a very handsome dog... so adoreable

CathyBogart
11-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Congrats!! Welcome home Chipper! :)

Fett
11-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Yep, he's doing well so far! He's a much smoother rider in the car than Kia is. In fact, he actually fell asleep a couple times on the ride home once we were on the highway. He also ate some treats while driving.... two things Kia doesn't do in the car! From what I could tell in my rear view mirror, he did make out with Kim a bit. LOL! (So, even though we were strangers to him, he was comfortable enough with us to give Kim many kisses and fall asleep in her lap. All good signs.)

He's about 10 lbs lighter than Kia, his length and height also doesn't equal Kia's, but the thing that drew us to him was how much his demeanor was so similar to Kia's. All the other dogs around him were going crazy and he just looked around at anything...no whimper or whining, not a single bark the whole time we were around him and the busy environment of people and animals. When we got back here, he barked a little, but ONLY when playing with Kia.

When we got back home, not to freak out Kia with a sudden new dog, Kim went into the apartment and took her outside for a potty break while I waited in the car with Chipper. Once she peed and was calmed down, Kim motioned over to me to bring the new dog out to where they were. The two dogs did a couple seconds of butt sniffing, play bowed at each other, and parted ways. It was that clean and simple! Once inside, he checked out the apartment, then started playing with Kia. She got kinda loud and pinned him down and he ran into the back bedroom and pooped. LOL She literally scared the crap out of him. After that they played here and there, but he seemed to have more fun playing with rope toys and tennis balls by himself than with Kia. But they'll get along fine, it appears. Now we're about to have the first sleep with him in the room and hopefully we will get sleep. Unsure, since it's his first night here how he'll be, but since he's already asleep on the floor behind me, he should be fine. :)

Giselle
11-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Congratulations!!! And I can definitely see a bit of Basenji in that little wrinkled forehead ;) The bowed legs could be due to a bit of malnutrition which would make sense if he was a street rescue. At any rate, he is ADORABLE and we're expecting more pictures *wink* ! :D

Fett
11-19-2006, 11:35 PM
His legs are only bowed out in the front at the elbow joint. In back they don't do that. It also doesn't seem to happen with both legs at once, just on whatever direction he's leaning, that's the leg that does it. It gives him character. ;)

Also, when we got home, Kim found his limited info on the Oakland County Animal Control page.....

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7182411

Not a great pic of him, but at least we have an internet record. His admission date on our paper record was 9/23/06. We have no clue if he was a street stray or a surrendered pet. Kim may email them to find out.

A couple more pics!!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1253.jpg

....and his current state....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/Fur%20Kids/IMG_1254.jpg

Giselle
11-19-2006, 11:40 PM
My Peke has the same thing. I think it's cute, and you're right. It does give character :p

Sevaede
11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Do his legs bend laterally? I thought I saw Lundehund for a second! :D

He is so cute! I got LES looking at the first pic with the I AM ADOPTED sign. :D So sweet!

DJFyrewolf36
11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Aww congrats! Welcome home Chipper!

Fett
11-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Now, not sure if this is just cause he's in a new environment or what, but we've had him here about 4-5 hours so far and he's pooped once and peed twice in the house. Once on the arm of the couch and again just on the bed when Kim went in to go to bed. She opened the bedroom door to let Kia and Chipper in, and he jumped up on the bed and just peed. She's never had to do potty training before because Kia was housebroken when she arrived, so any good tips on what to??? Please help!

He's also sat against the door to go outside and has peed outside at least 4 other times in that same 4-5 hour timeframe also. Kim thinks he's not fully emptying his bladder when he goes outside, but we really don't know. Other times, he still leans against the door and when we take him outside he just stands there or sits there and he doesn't go potty. So about half the time he does go and the other half he doesn't when we take him outside.

Thoughts?

jazzcat
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM
He's adorable!!! Congratulations to all!

K9karen
11-20-2006, 12:17 AM
:D :D :D
Well! I'll be!! That's so awesome, Kimmy and Andy! I loved the "Gotcha" story too! Isn't it amazing when you find the perfect fit? Kind of reminds me of Mz. Logan's best behavior when I met her! How exciting that Kia likes her baby brother! Get used to the camera, Chipper! I have a feeling mom and dad are gonna be pointing it at ya all the time! Good girl, Kia! Good job Andy and Kimmy! I'm SO excited!!!

shais_mom
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
I already replied in you LJ but will here as well.
He is gorgeous!
Sooo happy for all of you!

Cinder & Smoke
11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
He's also sat against the door to go outside and has peed outside at least 4 other times ...

Kim thinks he's not fully emptying his bladder when he goes outside ...

So about half the time he does go and the other half he doesn't when we take him outside.

:eek:

Well, you can't have EVERYthing the first night! :p
First Fix is to pull the Water Bowls "earlier" than you did ... NO Water after X:00 PM ...
and you'll have to experiment to find the right "X" number. Start with about 9 pm.

Big Thing is the "**PRAISE**" like fools when he DOES pee or poop - OUTside.
Make him think he just won the lottery.

"Punish" GENTLY if and only when you actually catch him in the act of doing an
INside accident ...
"Punish" (stern, unhappy VOICE will probably be enough) very quickly, then *rush* him outside
to attempt to "finish" outside. Again "**PRAISE**" if he does some outside.

He MAY be trying to "mark" his new territory ... gentle punishment will hopefully discourage
him from doing it.

If it continues - pick up a Dawggie DIAPER at Petsmart - I'm using them at night with
Bowz - who just forgets what he's doing at night.
Brand = "Simple Solution"
Item = "Male Diaper Garment Wrap"
Size = "Medium / Weight 15-45# / Waist Measurement 13-21 inches"

Get the "pads" from the Drug Store - NOT PetsMart!
And get a larger & thicker size than the included sample!

The "Wrap" does just that - "wraps" around Fido and covers his >squirt gun<!

With a low or empty "tank" by bed time - Chip will have a hard time "marking" much ...
and almost impossible if he's covered up!

Smokey thought he ought to "mark" the house - three times that I know of - all done as I watched! :mad:
He got *Butt-Smacked* and shoved outside!
The pee-inside problem was history after incident #3.

The thing you guys have to *watch* is that poor Kia doesn't feel the "need"
to RE-mark after Chipper! :eek:

HOPEFULLY this problem will be over quickly.
Try to be consistant - and if he makes a boo-boo that you DON'T wittness -
just clean it up without any signs of unhappiness ... maybe with him outside
so you can *scream* without him noticing! :p

Happie New Pup!!

BC_MoM
11-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Congrats, you two! I can't believe I missed this thread. Chipper is VERY handsome.. I bet Kia's thrilled to have a new brother!

Sounds like he just isn't housebroken to me. Molly used to pee on the bed too - weird behaviour.

Uabassoon
11-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm so excited for you! He is a very handsome boy :D

What do Zam and Logan think of their new brother?

molucass
11-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Congratulations on the new addition!
He's cute.

k9krazee
11-20-2006, 01:29 AM
:D Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :D

Darn it, I really should have gone today, haha!! Congratulations, he is very cute, I'm glad Kia approves.

Cincy'sMom
11-20-2006, 03:17 AM
What a handsome boy! Congratulations!!!

Pam
11-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Congratulations!! Another lucky dog to be adopted by a Pet Talker. Every pet should live in a PTer home! ;) Kim and Andy I am so happy for you and Kia too. Great idea to introduce them both outside. I took Bella to the shelter to meet Ripley and they both pretty much sniffed each other and went their separate ways. :) Now they are best buddies. It looks like Kia and Chipper are well on the way to also being best buds too! ;)

I am assuming that Chipper has been neutered.
Do you have any idea how old he is? The reason for the question is that if he has lived a few years before the *snip* it might take a little longer to stop the marking. He looks like a young dog to me so hopefully he will soon understand where and when to go potty. Also he will be watching Kia and hopefully observing what she does and follow along. My friend adopted two little male sheltie puppies, and we were all wondering how in the world she'd train two at once. Well it seems they sort of helped to teach each other.

I though Chipper looked about Bella's weight and size and as I read further I see that I was correct. He looks a little "thin around the middle" :) but I know in no time he will fill in. Ripley was a twig and I could feel his ribs but that was easy to fix. :) It will be interesting to find out if he was a surrender or stray. That information should help you going forward.

Again, I am so happy for you both and for Chipper. He has landed in a great home! ;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-20-2006, 05:56 AM
WELCOME HOME CHIPPER !!

Now be a good boy and stop pee-peein on stuff.. I'm sure big sister Kia will help you learn a few things if you be nice and ask her.

You are such a cutie pup and a lucky doggie too! I'm so glad you have found a good home! Can't wait to see more of you and get to know you! :D

ramanth
11-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Well, after the bed accident, which I witnessed, we quickly pulled off the quilt and tossed it in the wash. Thankfully it had not soaked through to the sheets and matress. I told him no and took him outside and of course he didn't have to go! *laughs*

Andy posted here and I went to bed with the two pups in tow. He tried to get on the bed, but I kept him off with a simple, "No, off" command. He ended up curling up beside it and slept the entire night with no accidents. :D

It's funny to watch him pounce from toy to toy, undecisive of what to play with. Kia will then interrupt him and try to get him to play with her. Trouble is, she's loud and I don't think the neighbors appreciate the 6 a.m. wake up call. :eek: :rolleyes:

The cats are adjusting. Logan is in hiding as I suspected. Zam didn't mind him at all at first and he ignored her. But last night when she tried to curl up in my lap, Chipper tried to grab her legs and she began to hiss at him. Which of course got him interested in her and you could tell he wanted to play. So now anytime he starts to stare at Zam or go sniff at her, I instantly correct him and it seems to be working.

At this very moment, Kia, Chipper, and Zam are crashed out in the living room.

Ginger's Mom
11-20-2006, 06:00 AM
Congratulations, I am so happy for both of you and for Chipper. :D He is gorgeous, and I am sure he will soon learn that he has just landed in doggie heaven. As to the peeing, my best guess is that it is actually marking. He needs to be corrected and taught that it is your house, not his. I used to foster most of the fosters would pee in the house the first day or two. I think you will be able to quickly teach him otherwise. I think the sitting at the door is more of a not realizing he belongs there yet, and as night comes he wants to go out and find his "safe spot." Little does he know that he never has to do that again. :)

ramanth
11-20-2006, 06:18 AM
I am assuming that Chipper has been neutered.
Do you have any idea how old he is?
He is neutered and it doesn't look like a recent snip. We were thinking he's two, but his paperwork says 1 year and a half.

It's hard to know if it's marking or not. The first pee accident was right by the door. After "crying wolf" a few times, we decided to see if maybe he was sitting by the door just to sit there since he wasn't going when we'd take him out. Wrong! He whimpered, squatted, and peed.

So everytime he leans against the door we take him out. We praise loudly if he goes and not at all if he's just out to be out.

The bed incident could of been marking. He jumped up on the bed and before I could tell him off, he squatted and peed.

So far so good this morning. I'm going to take a half day at work so I can spend some daylight time with them, take them for a nice long walk and get him groomed. He needs it. :D

cloverfdx
11-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Oh wow what a wonderful suprise :D. Chipper is just gorgeous Kimmy and Andy, congratulations and thanks for adopting the sweet boy. Heres to many happy days ahead.

critter crazy
11-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Congratulations!! Chipper is very handsome!! Sounds like him and Kia are gonna get along fabulously!!! Welcome home Chipper!!!:)

Rachel
11-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Congratulations, Kimmy! This certainly is a surprise. I think Phred's housetraining advise is right on target. Also with all the excitement of new people, new environment, and playing with a new buddy, last night had to be a highly unusual situation for him. If the peeing continues to be so frequent, you might want to talk to your vet. Don't know much about urinary track infections in male dogs, but in a female that would be a sign.

By the way, how are you feeling?

buttercup132
11-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Oh wow he is adorable!! He dosent look at all the same as when he was in the shelter.

Congrads.

Logan
11-20-2006, 08:20 AM
What a nice surprise!!! I read your title and thought you were pulling our leg!!! :o He is just adorable! I know you guys will have a great time together!!

Logan

anna_66
11-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Oh wow, what a surprise! A new playmate for Kia;)

Guys, he's a doll! I'm so happy for you all and very glad to hear that the night went so well. I hope every night is as good as the first:D

Looking forward to seeing many more pictures of this cutie pie!

Welcome to Pet Talk Chipper!

4 Dog Mother
11-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Oh, Kimmy and Andy, what a surprise! Chipper looks as though he will be a great addition to your family. I am glad he and Kia are getting along so well. as far as the peeing goes, he is probably nervous about being in a new home. And if he has been in a shelter for very long, he may have relaxed any housetraining he had. But no matter, with your and Kia's help he should be house trained very quickly. (Monkey see, monkey do)

Congratulations! Chipper is very cute! Aand I cannot wait until we meet him at a Dog Park meeting.

borzoimom
11-20-2006, 08:39 AM
First of all, what a cutie!
I am looking at him, and see GSD in there but I also see Basenji. See the wrinkles around the eye brow on his head? While that breed has a tight curled tail, the face holds GSD and Bensenji..- just a passing thought..
Congratulations on your new addition!

ramanth
11-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone. :D Broke my heart to leave this morning. He cried and cried after I put them in their crates. Looks like we'll have a little seperation anxiety to deal with. :( That's okay. Kia had it the first couple of days too.

He has an appointment to see the white coat at 3:30 and then I'll run him by Petco for a grooming. :)

His new favorite place to perch is on the back of the couch in the cats room. It's so funny. Did get a picture but forgot the camera at home. :rolleyes:

K9soul
11-20-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this either! Congratulations Andy and Kimmy! And Kia of course! :D What a happy addition, he is absolutely adorable :)

pitc9
11-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Oh Yipppeee!!
Congrats!!
He's a Cutie PIE!!!

dappledoxie
11-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Chipper is soooo cute!! Congrats on the new addition!

ramanth
11-20-2006, 09:42 AM
By the way, how are you feeling?
Thanks for asking. Up and down but I think I'm leveling off. :) I haven't been as tired at work, just a little wore out when I get home.

Andy and I started a work out regime but kinda fell off the wagon. We need to start up again. But now, with Chipper being so energenic, I'll be taking more walks and working hard at training him I won't have time to think about being tired. ;) *laughs* :D

Jadapit
11-20-2006, 09:53 AM
How exciting for your family! Clipper is so handsome. I love his ears. Welcome to PT fellow. :D

BitsyNaceyDog
11-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Congratulations! I know how much you've been wanting a second dog.

He reminds me so much of Jake. We believe Jake has a lot of basenji in him, so maybe Chipper does too. Look at some of the basenji mixes on dogster, I bet a lot of them look similar to Chipper. When we got Jake the first thing I saw in him was basenji, but after I looked at some of the dogs on Dogster I was sure of it.

Lori Jordan
11-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Congradulations,You have a beautiful little boy,Make sure to take lots of pictures!It is so exciting when you get a new addition i always have this feeling that i cannot describe how happy i am,Meanwhile ya love them but they do tend to drive ya nuts!lol Welcome Chipper!

flamepony12
11-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Congratulations! Chipper is adorable, and it's great that he was adopted into such a great family! Be sure to share lots of pictures of him as well as Kia! :D

lizbud
11-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Congrats Kimmy & Andy :) Chipper is a cutie & I think with a little
getting acquainted time, he will settle in nicely.I'm so happy to know
that kia now will have a buddy. :) If you are still uncertain that Chipper
doesn't seem to get the "potty training", I'd just start from scratch with
basic training methods used for little pups. Hi Chipper, and welcome to Pet
Talk. :)

Husky15
11-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Congratulations! Chipper is one adorable boy and he definitely sounds like a good dog. I can see some Basenji as well, but just a little. I am so happy for you guys and once again: congrats!

elizabethann
11-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Chipper is so adorable & I just love that name.

Congratulations!!

lute
11-20-2006, 11:46 AM
he's adorable! so unique looking!

gemini9961
11-20-2006, 12:27 PM
He is a cutie for sure. Congrats to everyone, I'm sure Kia is happy to have a little brother. The first pic I saw of him I immediately thought ACD so your guess on that was the same as mine. Either way, I look forward to seeing more pics of him.

Welcome to PT Chipper!

Alysser
11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Congratulations!! Chipper is adorable!! He looks like an awesome part of your family. I'm SO excited for you guys! I love those ears!! Kia must be so happy to have a new brother! :D Congratulations again!

Queen of Poop
11-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Congratulations on the new family member. He's a doll for sure. I'm sure that after a few days of learning the new household routine his potty issues will disappear. Welcome to Pet Talk Chipper, you handsome devil you!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Wow, congratulations! He is beautiful! :)

xcolbi
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
He's so beautiful!!

Kfamr
11-20-2006, 02:46 PM
I spend the night at a friend's house and see what I miss!
How exciting! Another new addition to Pet Talk. :D He is just preeecccciious! Are you going to keep the name Chipper? :)

I am so jealous!

Congrats!

Suki Wingy
11-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Congratulations! He's cute. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
CONGRATS with your new addition Chipper!!

ramanth
11-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Are you going to keep the name Chipper? :)
Yep! We like it and he responds well to it. :)

We just got back from the vets and he checks out good. Dr. Kuschel says he only needs to gain a few more pounds. I'll take in a stool sample and they'll check for internal parasites.

Over the past couple of hours he has started to get more comfortable and challenged Kia, me, and then the vet. As soon as the vet put him in his place, he picked up real quick what he should or shouldn't do.

Now we're off to Petco for a groom and to check out obedience classes. :)

Husky_mom
11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Lovely boy!!............Congrats.............I hope everythings goes well, be sure to swamp us with pics hehe

Ginger's Mom
11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
Every time I read another one of your posts about this dear boy my smile just gets bigger and bigger. :D

Pam
11-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Congrats again! I am so happy for you. I forgot to mention in my last post that I too see basenji in him. My sister-in-law is on her second basenji and I definitely think there is some in Chipper's family tree. :)

Cincy'sMom
11-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I just can't get over how cute Chipper is! Now I am really kicking myself for not coming up yesterday!! (Or maybe thankful I didn't come, or I may have had #4?)

The more I look at his picture, the more he reminds me of my next door neighbor's dog. Not so much in the face, but inthe body shape and coloring (She's a 2 yr old GSD/Pit)

This is Layla
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid204/p348bb357819954f9accef21b50ac3982/ef4e168d.jpg

ramanth
11-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Well, the groomers had no open appointments today, so he'll go in tomorrow at 6 p.m. We did a little shopping and picked up a bed for him, two toys, and some more Nature's Miracle. He had another pee pee accident. He started to pee while getting a drink! :eek: :rolleyes:

Goofy boy.

But he is definitely learning fast. Has left Zam alone since we got back, when he followed me into the bedroom, he curled up on the floor next to the bed in the exact spot he slept last night. Didn't attempt to get on the bed at all.

He wolfed down his dinner and left Kia alone while she finished hers. However when Kia left her bowl, he ambled over and of course she charged him. I put her into submission and after he ate two bites, I took the bowl away. He was resting on the couch, but now he's chowing on a bone.

Amy, Layla is beautiful! I see the resemblance. :D

cyber-sibes
11-20-2006, 08:40 PM
wow, guess I havent been spending enough time on PT! congratulations, Andy & Kim and Kia! Chipper's a cute little guy, hope the housebreaking thing happens quickly for you. first thing Sherman did when we brought him into the house for the first time was to "drop a log" right on the dining room carpet. The good news is, he's never done it again.

Will look forward to more pics of Chipper & Kia!

Vermontcat
11-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Congratulations on the new addition! :D
I look forward to seeing lots of photos of Kia and Chipper together in the future. :)

Toby's my baby
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Congrats!! He is stunning! What unique markings!! :D

AdoreMyDogs
11-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Congrats Kimmy and Andy! He's just adorable! I was wondering if Kia would ever get a brother or sister :) I can't wait to see more pictures of him!

vinjashira
11-21-2006, 05:37 AM
Congratulations Kimmy, Andy and Kia for the new addition to your house. And congratulations Chipper for your new family. May you all have many many happy years together :)

ramanth
11-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Once again he slept through the night with no accidents. :)

However, he piddled in the living room on the way to the door. He did pee outside though, so he just needs to learn how to hold it a few moments longer or I have to get dressed faster. :p

Cried and barked even louder when I was heading out the door. I hope and pray the neighbors are sympathetic or at least Chipper calms down quickly.

Cinder & Smoke
11-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Once again he slept through the night with no accidents. :)

Cried and barked even louder when I was heading out the door.
I hope and pray the neighbors are sympathetic or at least Chipper calms down quickly.

:eek:

You need to *check* on the Cry / Bark on departure ...
to make SURE he *shuts up* as soon as he knows you're really GONE <gasp>!

Cinder has always carried on as I'm leaving - <barks> + <howls> + <whines> ...
but I sometimes drive down the road and return in a couple minutes ...
To always find a *Quiet House* with the "Guard Dawgs" apparently SOUND asleep
on the BigBed - I have to blow the horn to even see ears in the window!

I'd suggest you *hang around* in the hall or outside for a while ...
to see if he does calm down in a reasonable time - and doesnt start back up
when he hears a noise around the building.

Glad the Potty Problems are starting to improve!!

;)

pitc9
11-21-2006, 09:07 AM
However, he piddled in the living room on the way to the door. He did pee outside though, so he just needs to learn how to hold it a few moments longer or I have to get dressed faster. :p

LOL!! True! :D

krazyaboutkatz
11-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Congrats!!!:D Chipper sure is handsome. I hope he becomes housebroken soon. Good luck.:)

Daisy and Delilah
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! He's a handsome boy. Can't wait to see more of him!! :)

I also had tears when I saw his first picture with the sign. How special it is to see his little eyes, looking up, so innocent and cute :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-23-2006, 08:03 PM
So ... WHERE did he spend Turkey-Day - and how'd it go?

Hopefull he was a GOOD Boy and waited till some Burd was "offered" -
rather than helping himself.

;)

dab_20
11-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Congrats! He's a very handsome boy. I love his color and he's got an adorable face... who could resist it? Glad he's fitting in nicely. What a wonderful Thanksgiving surprise for you and him!
I agree with your guess in breeds. He does look like he's got Basenji in him, but they are not a common breed, so I kind of doubt it.

Almita
11-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Aww what a cutie Chipper is. Adorable name they named him haha. Congratulations on the new addition!

ramanth
11-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanksgiving was spent at my parents house (first time meeting them) and he did very well. Had one little accident by the back door when we couldn't let him out fast enough, but overall he was very good.

It was a full house of people and dogs, as my sisters and grandma brought their pups so at one time there were 5 dogs parading through the house. :D Then Linn, Nick, and Seamus left, leaving the 4 to play together. Kia stayed out of it for the most part and Chipper became enamoured with Sasha. He kept trying to hump her. :o But when we said no, he'd back off.

We had gorgeous weather. I was comfortable outside in short sleeves. The dogs could not get enough of wrestling and running outside in the sunshine. :D

I'm sure Chipper is very thankful for a new family and it showed. :)

I have pictures, but we're getting ready to leave for Toronto for the weekend so no time to dowload.

Chipper is soon to be an international traveler! :D

lv4dogs
11-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Congrats! He's such a cutie. I wish I had time to read this entire thread. I hope he's doing ok.

captain
11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Goodness - I go away for awhile, and you get a new dog!!!

Now, the first thing I thought was ......... OMG look at his ears. He has Kia's OLD ears ....... :D

Congrats, he is one lucky pup!!!

Cinder & Smoke
11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
:(

Chipper hasn't been too "chipper" the last few days ... he seems to have a few health issues -

See the thread "Chipper Not Well - not a good update ..."
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=117176

Prayers being sent for poor Chipper!

/s/ Phred

delidog
11-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What A GREAT DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!