PDA

View Full Version : I feel just awful...

catnapper
11-19-2006, 09:15 PM
They threw out about $500 worth of dog food at work today because it expires in December -- they can't sell stale food. So after the store closed, I went home and grabbed hubby, and we drove back to pull bags upon bags of premium dog food out of the dumpster. I'm telling you, we jammed the car full of the stuff! I went door to door asking my neighbors if they could use it.... everyone jumped at the opportunity to take a free 40 pound bag of dog food.

Then I got to Faye's house. I knew she'd be interested in the Large Breed Senior food for Sassy. Poor pup's been having a hard time with the cold this year..... Faye broke out in tears as I excitedly offered her free food. Sassy died last night, in the middle of the night. :( I felt just AWFUL offering food for her so recently lost pup. I would be devastated if someone offered food for Nicki the same day I lose her. I didn't know what to say, except sorry.... which I said a 100 times over. I also offered to help her find a new pet. She's not sure if she wants a cat or dog, but I can help her.

I just felt so terrible about the whole thing. I was embarassed to offer food for a lost pet (even though I know Faye wasn't upset that I offered.... she told me 100 times that I wouldn't have known about Sassy since she hadn't seen me all day to tell me about it)

Anyway, I just felt compelled to tell this sad story tonight.

PS: Anyone need dog food? I still have a lot of bags.... I'll only keep one for Nicki since I don't want to have expired food on hand myself. But I also couldn't let all that good food lie in waste in the dumpster either!

caseysmom
11-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh Kim how would you have known...she probably needed to cry and you were probably good to have there to tell her troubles too.

Wow they just throw it out..what about the shelters?

kimlovescats
11-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Bless your heart ... but you couldn't have known. Poor lady!
Maybe there is a local rescue, or shelter that you could take it to tomorrow? They might even be willing to come and pick it up?

Good going, Kim! ;)

critter crazy
11-19-2006, 09:23 PM
WOW!! all that food just thrown away?? all our stores here send it to the shelters! You are awsome for taking it and handing it out!

You should not feel bad about offering your neighbor some, you had no idea her dog had passed. It is very sad, but definitely not something you should feel bad about! You were doing a great thing! Hope she feels better. RIP Sassy!

animal_rescue
11-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Awww RIP Sassy. :( Don't feel bad though, you didn't know.

Too bad you can't send the food up here, I'm all the way in Indiana.

Karen
11-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Contact any shelters or food pantries in town. They could repackage - or you and your family could - repackage it in smaller bags and it could go to families so their pets could have a full tummy at Thanksgiving time, too!

catnapper
11-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Karen, you actually are thinking along my lines. Hubby is in charge of the food drive at school. They are buying turkeys and giving full thansgiving meals to 25 families that need it. I asked him to find out how many of those 25 families have dogs, so I could divy out the food and spread it out to the families.

cyber-sibes
11-19-2006, 09:36 PM
:( rest in peace at the bridge, Sassy.
It's very kind of you to rescue all that food & pass it out. And you couldn't have known about your neighbor's dog, I'm sure she's very touched by your generous offer. I know the local rescues and the humane society are always accepting donations of food- I'll bet ones in your local area would be too. Putting it in "food baskets" is a wonderful idea too!

angelbow20
11-19-2006, 09:48 PM
How could someone throw out dog food!!!! Im always buying dog food, i have 4 dogs to feed!!! Im sure there is so many shelters and people out there that would love to get free dog food! expecually around this time of year!!! good luck!!!

dukedogsmom
11-19-2006, 10:21 PM
How about the shelters? Our Humane Society feeds the animals from donated food only.

That is sad about Sassy. But, you couldn't have known. I would have felt bad, too, though.

Lizzie
11-20-2006, 12:13 AM
First of all, good going for pulling all that dog food out of the dumpster. What an appalling waste it would have been when so many need help feeding their dogs. I was going to ask about shelters but that's already been covered.

I can imagine how you felt when your friend broke down, but in a way it was good that she could shed tears with you. When I was about 15, and a very socially inept teen I was, I went door to door for my church asking for donations one autumn. I stopped at a home where I knew the people a little, especially the older son who went to my school. The husband and wife came to the door, looking rather serious and distracted but gave me some money. I felt uncomfortable because I thought they were annoyed with me for calling. The next day I found out that their younger son, who was about 12, had died of leukemia and I'd called at their home just after they got back from the hospital. I don't know how many people told me that I couldn't have known, that I shouldn't feel bad, but I never stopped beating myself up about it.

jackie
11-20-2006, 02:52 AM
There was absolutely no way for you to know what had happened.

I have been in a similar situation, asking about a friends baby, only to find out it had died a month earlier. Its a horrible feeling, but at least you were there to help console her a little bit.

((hugs))

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-20-2006, 03:13 AM
They just got rid of that food???? Oh my, I would have reacted exactly the same way!
Don't feel bad about your friend; I am sure it felt good for her to talk about her Sassy :)

Rachel
11-20-2006, 06:27 AM
I wonder how many times before they have dumped food like this. Perhaps you could suggest to managment that you would be glad to help by investigating finding a shelter who would be willing to pick it up when they have expired food. Anyway, good job on reacting to the situation. I too, hate to see waste.

slleipnir
11-20-2006, 07:34 AM
My friend works in a pet food store. They give the older food to the shelter.

elizabethann
11-20-2006, 07:59 AM
It's a shame they throw it out. Many animal shelters would be happy to take it. Sometimes I'll go dumpster diving at PetSmart or PetCo. It's amazing what they throw out. I've gotten a ton of things.

moosmom
11-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Kim,

Do NOT feel bad. You had no way of knowing that your neighbor's dog died. CUDOS to you for being the "dog food fairy" and donating it to dogs in need. Shame on your employer for tossing out perfectly good food that could be used to help feed so many abandoned, unwanted dogs.

BTW, any tossed cat food??? Just kidding! You did a good thing, girl. I'm proud of you!

(((HUGS)))

Donna

catnapper
11-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Unfortunately guys, its company policy that expired food has to be trashed. They can NOT donate it to local rescues. There was no cat food... I checked! :p

Right now, there's a litterbox I want that is being trashed today or tomorrow (it has to be written out of inventory before they trash it) so I have to go back tonight to check the dumpster for it! LOL The problem with this $20 brand new litterbox? The handle broke off the lid. I'm sure my cats won't complain if I fashion a rope through the holes to create a makeshift handle :rolleyes:

Cinder & Smoke
11-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Its company policy that expired food has to be trashed.
They can NOT donate it to local rescues.

I'd think that "Management" could arrange to make a "donation" on the LAST Day
the food is still within date ... still "good food" ... knowing it's headed for the trash can
on the next business day. Same with damaged bags - it's Good PR!

As for your "Dumpster Diving" ~~~ http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
You should be careful - LOTS of communities will arrest you for Trespass and or Petty Theft
if you remove "stuff" from a dumpster or trash can!
It's "Private Property" till is dumped in the landfill!

And I'd just bet the COMPANY would take a very dim view of you - an employee -
"giving" their products away to your freinds!

Ask your Manager to offer the damaged goods to the employees at a reduced price - that gets the
store some amount of cost recovery AND is still a "deal" to the employees.

/s/ Phred

pitc9
11-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Good for you!! I can't believe they would throw away the food!
What the HECK is wrong with some people?? Do they NOT know there are starving and homeless dogs that could use that food?? Wow!!!

Don't be so hard on yourself! How on earth could you have known?

RIP Sassy

Pawsitive Thinking
11-20-2006, 10:22 AM
You weren't to know - you were doing a lovely thing. Don't be so hard on yourself

Randi
11-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I think it's great you went back and got that food. :) As long as it's eaten before the new year, I don't believe any dogs will get sick from it. Offerering the food to your neighbours was a really nice thing to do, we all know how expensive dog/cat food is. :eek:

I just don't understand they couldn't donate it to a shelter - they really need it!! If you're sure they won't do that, then be careful not to be seen doing it, and be careful who you tell! ;) Diving it up in smaller bags and giving it to dogs in need is a great idea!

My vet gets these small bags of dry food, and when I come, he gives me few if they're about to run out. Fister loves a change of food, so I actually give them as treats.

carole
11-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Aww thats so sad about Sassy, but you were not to know, but i can imagine how awful you would have felt, why don't you donate all the food to the shelters instead, they are sure needy of it.

GreyhoundGirl
11-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself, how could you have known? I too am horrified at such a waste, you'd still think they'd donate it to the SPCA. Anyways, good for you !

*LabLoverKEB*
11-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Bless your heart ... but you couldn't have known. Poor lady!
Maybe there is a local rescue, or shelter that you could take it to tomorrow? They might even be willing to come and pick it up?

Good going, Kim! ;)
Couldn't have worded that better myself! Great job, Kim!