PDA

View Full Version : Snake bite to dogs

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 07:46 PM
**** Please check with your vet beforehand**
When we first moved up on this mountain, I knew there would be rattlers and copperhead snakes up here. Also my vet is about 20 minutes away. They told me to keep on hand Benedryl, and adminster at 1mg per body weight at the time of the bite before you can get to get to the vet. This did not interfere with medical treatment, but slowed down the impact from the bite.
I later found out in the almost 3 years we have been here, I have only seen two snakes, both copperheads, but relieved in knowing if a bite happened, I could give an extra chance to my dogs.
Borzois are very light in body fat, and its easy to get the poison into their system. My vets said reguardless of the breed type, this was a good pre anti venom to give the dog while to take the dog to the vet..

junescrater716
11-19-2006, 07:49 PM
The most we have are garter snakes.

junescrater716
11-19-2006, 07:49 PM
They arent much bigger than my middle finger though

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Wish we could say the same. Also they said at the snake class they started for dogs that dog urine will actually repel snakes. Prior to this, lyme works too, but dogs cant walk on it as it eats the flesh in their paws.

CathyBogart
11-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Honestly, antivenin is so expensive and has such a short shelf life that most vets don't keep it on hand. Most dog snakebites are treated with benadryl, and ten with supportive care and fluids over the next few days. :)

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Honestly, antivenin is so expensive and has such a short shelf life that most vets don't keep it on hand. Most dog snakebites are treated with benadryl, and ten with supportive care and fluids over the next few days. :)
That explains why they told me this... They have the anti venom out here because of the mountains but I do wonder just in case, if the shelf life isnt much, that would explain this CathyBogart- thank you.

BitsyNaceyDog
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
I know someone who had a doberman and a sheltie that were both bit by a rattle snake at the same time. Luckily the family got both dogs right to the vet and the doberman made it, but sadly the sheltie didn't.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 09:34 PM
My vet said a bit on the face is not as bad as a bite on a leg that goes into the blood supply... Maybe that was why.
They sponser snake classes here now. That is like a shock type collar on the dog, the snakes cant bite and when the dog goes at the snake, its a shock. Brutal in my opinion as far as use of a shock collar, but I will admit, this training class made femka all but runnnnnnnn from copperhead two she found in the yard... I never EVER believed in shock collars- but this training class was good as much as I hate to admit as it stopped Femka in her tracks when she saw the copperhead...