PDA

View Full Version : Showing dogs??

coco-bean
11-19-2006, 03:43 PM
So i've done some thinking over the past few months and i'd really like to get into the showing "scene" I dont know anything about it, where to go, what to do...i just flat out dont know! sorry i kind of sound stupid but i've always just had dogs as pets and never really thought about showing. when i was little i only thought people in big cities showed dogs and the more im on here and dogster, i've learned alot more people do it than i thought! Can someone help me get on the right track? thanks in advance!
Tonya

bluebird
11-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Your breeder would be the logical person to help you get started. If the breeder isn't available, the best thing to do would be to join the local breed club and find a mentor. The majority of breed clubs are always more than happy to help new members.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I agree with bluebird- and please do not feel "stupid" you dont know where to start. It takes time as far as training, and travel and all- but it sure a lot of fun! :D

bluebird
11-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Another suggestion would be to go to dog shows and talk to exhibitors after they're done showing. Don't take your dog with you.

wolfsoul
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Try to find some handling classes in your area -- you can take your own dog there, show quality of not. It will give you experience and you are more than likely to find breeders there taking the classes to get their dogs used to a show situation. You can talk to them and see if they would be interested in letting you show their dogs. Alot of breeders appreciate having handlers under them -- it's useful if you are showing multiple dogs, or if you are showing multiple breeds and their ring times run into eachother (can't do two things at once!). You can also just email some breeders in your area, see if anyone is willing.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Very good one wolfsoul .
My daughter is going to be taking one not only for her to sharpen skills, but also to get her new puppy ready- out and about around other dogs- half of training a good show dog. A show dog has to be calm and confident around all dogs at all times. Use to being handled in any part of their body and maintain where they are put while the owner/handler continues to move the dog. Trot easily on a lead without getting ahead of the handler too much, but still the hander is maintaing control of direction
Of course, understand I am bias- but I think you will love it. In most populated areas, obedience clubs offer these handling classes.

coco-bean
11-19-2006, 08:05 PM
thank you all very much! Just another quick question though...how do i find where shows are going to be held? thats another thing i dont know...i dont ever hear of anything going on in my area! Im sure their is, but i havent heard anything!

.sarah
11-19-2006, 08:09 PM
The best place to find out about shows is InfoDog.com (http://infodog.com). On the left side click on "Show Information", then at the top of that page click on "Show Calendar".

I haven't read everyone's response so I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, but check on AKC's website to see if you have a local kennel club near you. That would be a really good place to meet the "show people" near you. :) Once the first of the year rolls around I plan on joining the one near me.

Giselle
11-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Most people who show do so as a prerequisite to breeding, so, logically, most breeders are going to mentor you as an apprentice. If you are passionate about your breed (looks like Labradors?) and you would like to set up a kennel in the future, this is greyt. However, if you just want to keep it strictly at handling dogs, tell the breeder this. They *should* be willing to help and put you under the care of a pro handler, but be forewarned - some breeders aren't as willing to help as others. Just stay calm and polite and open to suggestions. It'll get you far! :)

borzoimom
11-20-2006, 07:29 AM
The above from my fellow sighthound lover, brings up a very good point to consider. Breeders are a funny bunch. Some are soooooooooo helpful- some are not- especially if your dog is better looking than some of theirs they are currently showing.. lol.. Example- Zubin and Galina hit alot of spring shows, and you start seeing the same dogs. Anyway- this one breeder/handler walked up to me at this one show and said " I see he still hasnt put on a coat yet. If I were you, I wouldnt waste the entry fee money and gas, and just keep him home until he matures more.."" ( nooooooooo kidding!). My mouth all but flew up in shock as well as my husbands- while my handler smiled and said " oh thats okay- he needs the practice".. Imagine my shock when my young 12-18 month old class male puppy, turned around and BEAt her dog out of open to take Winners Dog.. lol.. ..
On the other hand, my inner circle were always helpful before. Just like with people as far as forming trust, watch for things or statements like " well so in so you know their dogs so in so" in the negative. Good mentors are the ones that follow positive statements.. Another good rule of thumb is to never EVER make negative comments at a show..
I really do find the bulk of dog people wonderful. There are a few, and the rest of us just stay clear.

lute
11-20-2006, 06:31 PM
infodog is a good site to find shows, so is onofrio. i agree that it's a good idea to get a mentor. i met my mentor through her website. juroblyn siberians (http://www.geocities.com/juroblyn/). going to dog shows is a great way to meet people that can help. it also gives you the idea of how busy and hectic a dog show can be. it's not all "fun". there are a lot of EARLY mornings and running around. showing dogs is an expensive hobby. with crates, show leads, bait, gas to get to the shows, food, grooming table, grooming supplies, etc costs a lot. make sure you can afford it. there are certain times of the year that i can't afford a lot of dog shows. the dog itself can be pricey too. a good show quality great dane can go for thousands!

READ READ READ! i've found that books are one of the best ways to learn about dog shows. i have an array of books about showing dogs. i buy most of my books from AKC.org. there are some good websites too.

if you ever want someone to talk to about shows just PM me! :D

Danegirl2208
11-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Well people have given you some great info and advice! Sorry I dont have any to offer, but i just wanted to say good luck on your decisans! I too hope to enter the show world in the near future..

borzoimom
11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Showing dogs can be expensive- but this is how I look at it... I dont go out to dinner much, I dont rent movies, and a 26 dollar about entry fee and the gas to get there is a alllllllllllll day entertainment for me.. A day with my dogs...

borzoimom
11-20-2006, 07:52 PM
and I wrote this for a Master card commercial entry once-
* 27 dollars for entry fee
* 75 dollars for show leads, shampoo, bowls and good brushes and lots of training
* 200 dollars for a crate for the van
* *** Seeing your dog take Breed- PRICELESS!!!!!

Giselle
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Seeing your dog take BIS - PRICELESS. Of course, I've never seen that happen with my breeder's dogs... yet.

wolfsoul
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Seeing your dog take BIS - PRICELESS.
I SWEAR, one day, we will have our BIS!!! Solo is so gorgeous, will probably be prettier than his momma -- I think he has what it takes! We'll see in Tradex next year (Canada's Westminster basically, but easier to get in)! One day. :D

borzoimom
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I SWEAR, one day, we will have our BIS!!! Solo is so gorgeous, will probably be prettier than his momma -- I think he has what it takes! We'll see in Tradex next year (Canada's Westminster basically, but easier to get in)! One day. :D
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but add one more thing to your show bag- smelling salts.. I am serious! The first time I went BIS, at the picture, I passed out COLD... lollllllllllllllllllllllllllll..

lute
11-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh but add one more thing to your show bag- smelling salts.. I am serious! The first time I went BIS, at the picture, I passed out COLD... lollllllllllllllllllllllllllll..

OMG! that had to be embarassing!

borzoimom
11-20-2006, 08:06 PM
OMG! that had to be embarassing!
I almost died!!!! lolllllllllllllllllll.. But now I know- before the pictures, or even whenever, have them in your pocket.. You get lightheaded, snap them, smell and you are fine...