PDA

View Full Version : Not eatting...

slleipnir
11-19-2006, 10:34 AM
So in a previous post I asked how I can get my cats to eat their own food.

I took their food away completely, other than feeding time. I give it to them in different rooms. But neither will eat! Butter only wants his old food, and Kiba just isn't interested. She takes a bite or two and has had enough. She normally will just pick away at it. I'm afraid they will stave to death :(:o it's been, I think, more than a day without them eatting much. How long before they get really hungry? I think Butter IS really hungry, but doesn't like his food. I gave him some of his old food and he ate it right up. So I put it mixed with his new food, and he doesn't want it then. *sigh*

Someone told me that he won't need this food for the rest of his life, because it would be bad for him. Is that true or not? (the food is dry c/d or canned c/d - he doesnt like either..but the canned food was only going to waste. ie: dried up and not good for eatting)

Randi
11-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm sorry to hear they won't eat their food. :( When Fister was put on S/D, he just wouldn't eat the canned version, but the dry he gobbled right up.

Are they on C/D to prevent UTI?

Hope they'll start eating soon - good luck! :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your cats aren't eating.:( When I had to stop free feeding it took only a couple of days before they learned that if they didn't eat what was in front of them then it would be taken away. My skinny boy Sunny actually lost some weight in the beginning.

Even though my cat Storm had the PU surgery, he has to be on a special diet for the rest of his life. If he isn't then he gets crystals again and this causes him to be uncomfortable, irritated, and he starts bleeding. He's been doing very well on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry food and wet food. Maybe you should try this food instead. All of my cats love this food. Good luck.:)

slleipnir
11-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your cats aren't eating.:( When I had to stop free feeding it took only a couple of days before they learned that if they didn't eat what was in front of them then it would be taken away. My skinny boy Sunny actually lost some weight in the beginning.

Even though my cat Storm had the PU surgery, he has to be on a special diet for the rest of his life. If he isn't then he gets crystals again and this causes him to be uncomfortable, irritated, and he starts bleeding. He's been doing very well on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry food and wet food. Maybe you should try this food instead. All of my cats love this food. Good luck.:)

He can only eat some foods because of his heart condition. :( This particular food isn't high in sodium

catcrazylady
11-19-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear they won't eat the prescription food. This is a common problem and most vets aren't too sympathetic about it but it's hard to see your babies hungry and not eating.
My moms dog was recently put on KD for kidney problems and of course he hated the wet and dry food and won't eat. Mom did some research on the web and found lots of recipes to make at home. She now cooks the proper foods for his condition, freezes or refrigerates a bunch and then feeds him his meals. It is a thought and maybe worth a try. Lots of the recipes call for chicken and other meats mixed with just the right veggies that supply the right supplements for their conditions.
I hope this is of some help and maybe you can find something that he will like.

Good Luck and prayers coming your way.

catmandu
11-19-2006, 12:48 PM
I remember buying the MedicalFood for Mr Scrappy, and Micheal wolfing it down like it was mann from heaven.
I gave up and gave Mr Scrappy what he wanted and he lived to be 15.
You should try dry sample packs, which are usually free and see if your Cats take to any of those.

Catty1
11-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Try a different brand...there are equivalents to the new food you have. They might dislike Hills, but love Royal Canin.

I am lucky...my boys will eat ANYTHING... :rolleyes:

kittycats_delight
11-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I suggest trying the royal canin too as I have yet to hear of a cat that dislikes royal canin and besides in my honest opinion Royal Canin is better anyway. I have heard so many people say their cats will not eat the hill's but once they switch to the royal canin equvilent there are no more problems. Good Luck

slleipnir
11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Is RC high in sodium??

Catty1
11-19-2006, 08:57 PM
It depends on the type of RC you get. Ask your vet. :)

krazyaboutkatz
11-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Is RC high in sodium??
I don't know but you can call their office in Canada to find out. Here's the info:
Canada
Royal Canin Canada
67 Yonge Street, Suite 902 - M5E 1J8 TORONTO
www.royalcanin.ca

Here's more information about the Urinary S/O Formula: Royal Canin Urinary S/O Formula (http://www.royalcanin.us/vetdiet/felineurinary.html). I hope that this information will help you.:)