PDA

View Full Version : Micro Chips

NicoleLJ
11-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I am wondering who here micro chips there dogs? Fromt eh thread of the stolen dog it got me thinking about micro chipping. It said in it that thanks to micro chipping more lost and stolen dogs are making their way back home. But that the stolen dog was too young to have it done. Sheena was just over 7 weeks old when she had hers put in. And I plan to microchip all the puppies before they leave here at just over 8 weeks. I like the security it gives. What are your opinions? Was that dog to young at 3 months to have a microchip? Or did the writer just make a mistake? Do you like the secuirty of having your dog microchipped?
Nicole

Alasse
11-18-2006, 07:05 PM
My guy is microchipped....i like the added security that if he is lost i have more chance of getting him home again

chocolatepuppy
11-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I had Layla microchipped at four months. My main fear is if she gets lost, someone will find her and decide to keep her. This way, when I would find her, I can prove she's mine. ;) From what I understand it can be done at any age.

Suki Wingy
11-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Niņo was done at the shelter after we adopted him right before we left for home. He was 6-8 months or so then.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Tango's been chipped a couple times, and neither of them read on her for some reason. She's tattooed though in her ear, so I guess that's somewhat of an alternative. I'm not going to bother trying to get her chipped again, as I don't like the idea of multiple foreign bodies floating around inside her. My next dog will be chipped though, and hopefully it'll work on her. Morgan is chipped, and I'm not sure if Winston is. I don't think Tia is either, but I'm not sure. Piper is not, but will be when she goes to the vet next. I like the idea of a chip, but prefer tags and tattoos simply because both of those are clearly visible ad most people don't even know about microchips.

areias
11-18-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't think 3 months is too young to get microchipped. They stick a large needle under the skin and it puts the little chip there. I have...Boomer, Skye, Zoie, and Romeo all chipped. I think it is good as an alternative, although I wish they would start tattooing again. Microchips are only good if you bring the stray to the vet or to a shelter. And sometimes they don't read, or they drift and go undetected.

CathyBogart
11-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Jasper's chipped. I'd like to get him tattooed also, in case the chip migrates or doesn't read.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 09:52 AM
I am wondering who here micro chips there dogs? Fromt eh thread of the stolen dog it got me thinking about micro chipping. It said in it that thanks to micro chipping more lost and stolen dogs are making their way back home. But that the stolen dog was too young to have it done. Sheena was just over 7 weeks old when she had hers put in. And I plan to microchip all the puppies before they leave here at just over 8 weeks. I like the security it gives. What are your opinions? Was that dog to young at 3 months to have a microchip? Or did the writer just make a mistake? Do you like the secuirty of having your dog microchipped?
Nicole
All my dogs are microchipped, and somewhere listed here is about a new chip that does satellite location. I asked my vet about it, and both said it was available but still hard to get. I will find the link for you on it.

Husky15
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
I believe I've heard of microchipping before, just never knew much about it. As far as I know, none of our animals have microchips in them. Belle has her tag that has her dog number on it and then the number to the people who give the tags so that if she is lost they call them and tell the number of the dog and then they'll find in their computer who's it is [or so I think that's how it works]. But getting a microchip actually sounds a lot better. Getting a microchip in one of my animal's body or my own body just freaks me out for a couple of reasons though.

Lori Jordan
11-19-2006, 10:19 AM
The only dog that i have owned with a microchip is Bandit,the rest are tatooed,In all honesty i'd rather the microchip,these tatroos are hard to find expecially when your dog is black. all my dogs Maggy,Lacy and Molly have it on there Bellies and even though i know where it is id have to shave them too see it.

GreyhoundGirl
11-19-2006, 10:21 AM
no, :o I should, because seeing as she's not purebred she isn't tatooed, either.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Here is the link Nicole- http://www.dogchannel.com/sidebar/sidebarmicrochip.aspx .
Sorry it took so long, but sunday is football day with the Vikings.. lol.
All of my dogs have been microchipped since it was available to us. Even my little rescue had a chip. The purpose of it is to not only insure ownership, but more so to get the dog home. Any vet- when a client brings in a new dog around here, will scan the dog for a chip. If avid sent out an alert on a possible stolen or lost dog, they have to contact AVID.
I am not sure if there are other chip registration companies, as I always used AVID. YOu can also, at any given time update the information with phones numbers, address etc. Or even a medical alert like if a dog becomes a diabetic etc. Also- because I always had multiple dogs, I use the group rate and not a single. Also when I have puppies I supple the owners with a microchip to give to their vet to put in the dog when the puppy is old enough. Large dogs you usually have to wait until the growth spurt slows down.
Oh- and everytime you go to the vet afterwards for wellness exams etc., have them scan the chip ( will cost you nothing) to make sure its easily read.
With mine I have a key ring on my keys with their numbers listed in a brass plate. If you do loose a dog, call not only avid, but the local shelters and local vets. And include the dog is microchipped on your posters you put up.
Hope all this helps.

cali
11-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Electra was microchipped when I got her, I assume the litter registration required it. Perky, Happy and Ripley were tatooed during their spay/neuter, Blair was tatooed as a puppy for his litter registration, and Misty has no perminant ID at all.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't think 3 months is too young to get microchipped. They stick a large needle under the skin and it puts the little chip there. I have...Boomer, Skye, Zoie, and Romeo all chipped. I think it is good as an alternative, although I wish they would start tattooing again. Microchips are only good if you bring the stray to the vet or to a shelter. And sometimes they don't read, or they drift and go undetected.
You are right- but it depends on the type of dog. Our guys have alot of loose skin. More the males than females, and my vet has always told me, if we waited then we knew it would not move. My little rescue, little dog, she was about 3 months old and we did her then. Another friend of mine does border collies, and she chips her puppies at 10-12 weeks when they leave.

NicoleLJ
11-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the link. I plan to have all teh puppies microchipped. Is there a microchip out there that can have teh owners info and the breeders info? That way if something happened to the owners the breeder could then be contacted. This is the type I would like. It would give me a bit more ensurance that the dog would come back to me if I pound or shelter got it.
Nicole

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Yes- my chips have my name and their breeders on it too. You also can have several people in contact information as well. They would list their name as the owner, you as one of the contact people.
Remember if you change phone numbers etc or they do, to have it updated. You can call at any time and they will send you a copy of the dogs listed to you as a group or indivual. I also have a password on my dogs, that if anyone other than a vet etc were to call, the information of address's etc is not given out.

sanford8916
11-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Both my dogs have Homeagain chips. Lou Lou was 4 1/2 ,months and Winchester was 6 years old when he got his. I keep their chip # in my phone book next to the vets number. Both their chips seem to be staying in place, I have the vet scan them everytime they go to the vet to make sure. I have an account on-line with a password that I can update information on the Homeagain site at anytime! My dogs also have Boomarang sliding dog tags on their collars with our info. Our dogs are hunting dogs and often go hunting in other states and we always bring that info with us and vet papers and dog licence info and pictures to prove they are ours just in case they go to doggie jail in another state!

KYS
11-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi,
Check your local shelters to see if they have a universal scanner.
ROcky's breeder used Avid on all the pups.
Home Again chip was more popular in my area back than.
where Avid info. did not show up in the scanners.
Now I believe the shelters use a universal scanner.
I also heard back than that Avid sometimes floats where the Home again
did not. This could have changed since we are talking
7 years ago.
I have one dog microchipped and one dog tatooed.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 07:19 PM
KYS-
I am sorry but I dont know- what is the difference from a universal scanner and AVID? We got femka, she was originally from the Netherlands and I got with her papers she was chipped. The vet could not find it, and we put in avid.

KYS
11-19-2006, 07:49 PM
borzoimom: what is the difference from a universal scanner and AVID? >>>>>>>>

Borzoimom,
Universal is the actually scanner where Avid is the chip/or if Avid
has their own scanners.
When I got Rocky, vets, shelters, etc. did not have a common scanner
that scanned all the major manufacturer chips out their.
Thus some dogs that were chipped might be picked up by one
scanner and not the other.
Example: My vet was not able to pick up the Avid chip info. on Rocky.
When he ran the scanner over him it just stated AVID but no information.
My vet used the same scanner the shelters did back than which picked
up Home Again but not Avid.
I believe the scanner are referred as Universal Scanner because they
pick up all the major chip manufactures vs only one etc.

borzoimom
11-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow- they had a number they could not read on femka- I wonder if this is why.... I will advise my vet tomorrow on this, and thank you so much. !!!! I did avid as used by most but a universal scanner would be better right? And why doesnt the other scanner pick up AVID .. I mean, they are like the biggest company...

.sarah
11-19-2006, 08:12 PM
I personally think that if people can vaccinate puppies at 6 weeks, and some vets reccomend and perform spays and neuters at 8 weeks, a microchip at 3 months is nothing. All of my dogs are chipped and once I start breeding (this is years away) all of my puppies will be chipped as well.

elizabethann
11-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Fenway is microchipped. However, I need to get off my butt and purchase a metal tag with his i.d. number on it. They sent me a plastic one and the number is wearing off.

pitc9
11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Both of mine are chipped and wear tags.