PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Flowers

Lennie B.
06-11-2002, 06:13 PM
I have a question. Does anyone else have a problem keeping cut flowers in the house when certain feline family members are on the prowl? My Vinny always notices when there are flowers around- he immediately hops onto the table and tries to nibble them. He will not leave them alone, even when he's repeatedly shooed away from them. I don't like the idea of never being able to have flowers in the house, and I was wondering if anyone has discovered a foolproof way of kitty-proofing them.

moosmom
06-11-2002, 06:42 PM
I haven't bought flowers is so long, I forget what they smell like. I used to get flowers for my apartment at least once a month. That was until I had to keep getting up and chasing the cats away from the vase. The final straw was when my oldest cat Mollie Rose started knocking the vase over pouring water over everything. I tried keeping it up high, yeah right. I finally gave up and stopped bring them home. I now have 2 hanging flower baskets with silk flowers in them! :p

Donna

Sara luvs her Tinky
06-11-2002, 07:14 PM
NOPE!!! My mother-in-law brought me a rose one day and the nest day it had been chewed by two unmentionable kittkes :rolleyes:

Lennie B.
06-11-2002, 08:49 PM
As a matter of fact, I thought I'd made a breakthrough in the kitty-proofing challenge tonight. My daughter received 3 lovely roses from her boyfriend this evening, and I decided to put them (in a vase) on the diningroom table and watch what happened. Vinny immediately noticed them and jumped onto the table. Then I had a brainwave! I had read that cats do not like foil, so I criss-crossed two sheets of foil on the table and put the vase in the middle. Sure enough, Vinny jumped up onto the table again and approached the flowers, but he screeched to a stop at the edge of the foil and absolutely refused to step onto it. So, guess what he did! Without touching the foil, he reached over it and started nibbling the green stuff that was hanging over it! LOL! At least now I know that he doesn't like foil! (This might come in handy some day!)

Pam
06-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Lennie I completely understand!!! My two are just HORRIBLE when it comes to leaving my flowers alone. Whenever I am lucky enough to have someone buy them for me (the last occasion was Mother's Day and my son gave me a beautiful vase of flowers) I have to put them way up high on a shelf in the kitchen with no possible access to them from my jumping kitties. It is annoying because I would love to have them down on a table to admire close-up but there is NO WAY!! My boys just will not leave them alone! I have even gotten rid of just about all of my house plants. I only have a couple of aloe plants on my kitchen windowsill (in case I burn myself while cooking! LOL!) and a jade plant. For some reason the kitties either have never noticed them or they just aren't appealing to them. :confused:

krazyaboutkatz
06-11-2002, 11:23 PM
I've had to get rid of all real plants, flowers, and even dried flowers. Storm just loves to eat them. When I first got Storm I had a couple of baskets that were filled with dried flowers. Well that didn't last long because he loves to eat them. When he sees a dried flower his eyes light up and he gets very excited and starts meowing. He acts like it's catnip.:)

yorkster
06-12-2002, 02:06 AM
AAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!
I know what you mean! Flowers will last only a few hours here at my house (I have 2 cats)
The last time I had them, they were in a really OLD vase that belonged to my Grandmother. Well, when I got up the next morning, they were dumped over, water was everywhere, and the vase was broken beyond repair.

I have not had flowers for quite some time :(

If you go to the RC STEELE web page, I have seen a little alarm type thingy that keeps cats away from places that you don't want them. A friend of mine has one and says it works great.

06-12-2002, 03:33 AM
Sydney does not touch my flowers , thanks goodness !!
But he cannot resist dried ones and also the "fake" fruit I put in a basket on the dinnertable (these are grown in the garden , and just for decorating) .

SylviArt
06-12-2002, 05:04 AM
I don't usually have live flowers as I figure I am asking for trouble. Funny thing - I got several "fake" flowers to use for art classes I teach and found my tortishell female kitty trying to eat them. :eek:

I told her that they are NOT REAL and got her to stop! :rolleyes:

The problem I have is that I want to do oil painting and it takes a long time to dry plus the cats will not allow me to close a door (I live alone). My other black kitty is already walking on my large metal easel so I am afraid to start OIL PAINTING cause I would come home and find the cat has turned prussian blue and various rugs ect. ruined. Last time I did it I had old cats and no problems!

Anyone other artistic types have this problem? :confused:

I am a cat artist so I welcome you to check out my "Cosmik-Kitty" ART site and sign my Guestbook!

SYLVI :)

lynnestankard
06-12-2002, 05:13 AM
Must be lucky - none of the three stooges bother with flowers - as long as their placed on a chest of drawers in the hall!!! Anywhere else - forget it, they chew up a storm!!

I've given up on house plants apart from two in the bathroom on a VERY high shelf.:eek:

Even in the garden Dan likes to sit right in the middle of one particular bush - poor bush, it looks really squashed!

Will remember the tip about foil though Lennie B - could come in useful. Thanks.

Lynne

Former User
06-12-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard

Even in the garden Dan likes to sit right in the middle of one particular bush - poor bush, it looks really squashed!
Lynne

Oh dear, I can so picture this....LOL LOL LOL!! Funny Dan !!:D :D :D

Edwina's Secretary
06-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Edwina likes to smell my flowers -- in a vase or growing in the garden. She has never chewed on them or on my houseplants. However.....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid22/pf17fe917b472b46ea407ec05f86eeaff/fda8891e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid22/p6c3e14e0e76db80fdaa0a46e0230f270/fda888fe.jpg

yumyum6970
06-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Edwina looks so cute there in those pics :)
I have one plant in our house and have it placed where they cant reach it. :)

moosmom
06-12-2002, 02:05 PM
Those are great pictures of Edwina! The first one looks like she sticking her tongue out at you. Sort of like saying "Nah, nah, look what I'm getting away with." She's beautiful!

Pam
06-12-2002, 02:33 PM
SylviArt welcome to Pet Talk! I did visit your site and your art creations are very good! I am afraid if I drew a picture of a cat no one would know what it was! :rolleyes: I hope you enjoy it here. There are lots of nice people and there is so much to learn and share.

Edwina is just a beauty and you catch her in the most unusual circumstances. I think a caption for that first pic could be "strike a pose!" It is easy to see why Marius refers to her as his little *catnip blossom!* LOL! :D :D

NoahsMommy
06-12-2002, 02:47 PM
Edwinie! You are so precious!!! I love the picture of you sticking out your tongue! So cute! :p

Yes, my furballs love to tip over and eat my flowers....it is really sad when all the stems are droopy because they've been attacked.... :( Don't tell my hubby though, I still want flowers! :D

Heather Wallace
06-12-2002, 02:54 PM
My cats are like a couple of cows in the morning! When I let them outside they both start eating the grass.

Good of their furr balls though.

SylviArt
06-12-2002, 03:24 PM
Now speaking purely from the point of view of a "cat artist" I love these poses and may have to steal them... Very cute! Plus you don't see that very often. Reminds me of the pose of the real kitten that I took a pic of in the "Cosmik-Kitty" below. Of course I change the colors and names to protect the innocent!

Do you have a website with more of your creative kitty pics on it?
Hmmm - maybe I should click on www!

SYLVI :rolleyes:

wayne0214
06-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Tiger demands grass to nibble on in the mornings, so I went out today a took a flower pot and placed dirt and crabgrass in it, and set it in the window to see if it grows with limited sunlight. Today, I saw tiger at it twice. Other than this, I have no growing plants in the house.

............wayne