PDA

View Full Version : We are on water safety alert

slick
11-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Not many lower mainland BC'ers here but we are on a water safety alert and have to boil our water before using it.

It's because of all the rains we've been having and there is no end in site. The water up here is cloudy and may contain the "bad stuff" that makes you sick. I'm in the habit of using a Brita filter but from now on I'm boiling first then putting it through the filter.

I was just speaking to someone and she told me that even the Starbuck's are refusing customers. :eek:

Karen
11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Yikes! We have had plenty of rain in the last week, but don't have that problem, thank goodness!

wolflady
11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
OMG! If Starbucks is refusing customers, this is BIG! Can you get bottled water at the grocery? At least boiling the water should get rid of any icky stuff. How scary!

**hugs**

binka_nugget
11-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I heard about Starbucks too! SHOOT! I practically LIVE at Starbucks!Apparently some stores are running out of bottled water too. :eek:

I took a shower last night, looked at the water and seriously questioned if I was any cleaner after the shower.. ? :eek:

NoahsMommy
11-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Wow, Slick!

Be carful, we don't want you sick. I'm glad you're taking the extra step in putting the boiled water through the Brita (we have one too!).

Stay well. I hope you get to dry out soon, no floating away!

Love ya,
Kelly :)

Catty1
11-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I just talked to a friend in East Van, and bottled water is hard to find. They may have to drive out to Burnaby or further to find it.

I hope shop owners are being decent and not jacking the price up (shades of Florida hurricane ripoffs).

I hope the rain stops there soon!

cyber-sibes
11-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I was just speaking to someone and she told me that even the Starbuck's are refusing customers. :eek:
:eek: is right! Hope your water gets better soon.

binka_nugget
11-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Ugh.. I'm fairly certain I drank some of the water now. I've been feeling nauseous since yesterday and now my tummy ain't agreeing with me. :(

slick
11-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Ashley, be careful. Our water really does contain some nasty stuff. I just got through boiling 3 pots full of water that I will filter through tomorrow. Nasty business. I'm not bothered with trying to find bottled water. I think boiling then filtering will do the trick. God, you should see the colour of my water. Yuck!!!! I can only imagine what victims of a real flood must go through. :(

Killearn Kitties
11-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Slick, you be super-careful with yourself. Your body is still recovering and you don't need to be pouring anything nasty into it! Boil and filter well!

Randi
11-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Oh Slick, that's terrible! Do be careful - I know you will! ;) Having to buy bottled water or boil and filter it, is such a pain ....

You take care, and Max too! :)

gini
11-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Oh, I know you will, but please be careful sweet friend. You are still recuperating and we don't have time for any backsliding here.

In all of the years I have been on this dirtball, I have never had to boil water, so this really got my attention.

Russian Blue
11-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes, please be careful Slick. Do you know how long it will be before the water won't need to be boiled?

Some small Ontario towns have had some water scares over the last few years. In 2000, Walkerton Ontario (about 1.5 hours NW of Toronto) had Canada's worst e-coli outbreak through contaminated water source. So it's not unheard of in these parts, but it always makes you second guess your water source. :eek:

slick
11-18-2006, 09:06 PM
The alert has been lifted in my community of New Westminster but people living close by (Burnaby, Vancouver and West Vancouver) still need to boil. My water looks clearer than yesterday but I'm not taking any chances and still boiling. Through this whole thing I was not thinking of myself at all. I was thinking how the little bugs in the water would effect Max. Would he get sick?? I saw him straining a bit to pee this morning but then he jumped into the second litterbox (which he never uses) and let out a big pee biscuit. I'm keeping a close watch on him.

I was at my Mom's today (she lives in Vancouver) and her whole kitchen counter was wall to wall pots of boiled water. I need to get her some containers so she can at least empty the pots and put the water in the fridge. I'm also worried about her because bad water can really cause problems for the elderly and those with a compromised immune system.

We are expecting another huge storm tomorrow with more record-breaking rainfall everywhere. Oh the joy of it all. I keep thinking of Katrina and how insignificant my problem is compared to what those people went through. :o

binka_nugget
11-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Our counter is covered with pots and bottles of water too! Ugh.. what a pain. I've kept myself constantly drugged up on gravol since yesterday.

The Starbucks in my area are back in business but I still can't find any bottled water. Shoppers and Safeway are all out. I don't mind constantly boiling water.. but drinking yellow water, no matter how long it has been boiled, ain't my thing! Can't wait til this is all over.

slick
11-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Ash, I was just at the Safeway here in New West on McBride Blvd and they had lots and lots of bottled water.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Gosh, I wish you could send that rain our way. We had the second driest summer on record and it is still dry. We are a foot and half low on rain fall for this time of year. The lake is way down. We have to conserve water. It's so weird. Rain comes our way, gets to our town then goes around us. Our chamber of commerce must be wanting to play golf again!!! :eek:

Please take care my friend and give Sir Max a hug from me!!!