PDA

View Full Version : Importance of a 5 point harness car seat

AllAmericanPUP
11-17-2006, 09:41 AM
WARNING:video is upsetting
http://youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

Cookiebaker
11-17-2006, 10:15 AM
That is a really important video, and one that is very heart wrenching, and life changing.

Please do me a favor though, and edit your post to put a warning that it is extra sensitive?? It can be deeply disturbing to some people. Thanks!!!

areias
11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
I saw that yesterday. :( It's a real tear jerker, and has an important message for anyone with kids.

ramanth
11-17-2006, 10:51 AM
So very tragic. :( I don't have kids now, but Kia has a seatbelt harness to prevent her from being thrown from the vehicle, because you never know what's going to happen when you're on the road.

Cataholic
11-17-2006, 11:39 AM
This video is VERY upsetting.

The seatbelt failing appears to be the biggest issue, not the five point harness. IF the little boy had been in a five point harness, I **think** he would still have been thrown from the car. What is troubling is the fact that car manufacturers do NOT make latch/tether systems to be utilized in the rear center position- the absolute safest place for a child. Rear seat, middle.

Young kids should not be in boosters that work with ADULT seatbelts. So, this young boy, because the seatbelt failed, was left without a single, solitary, bit of protection.

So very sad. What a strong family it must be to turn their most horrible tragedy into a opportunity that one of us might learn. As I did. That the latch/tether isn't the perfect answer, nor is the seatbelt system, which is what Jonah is 'protected' by. I wish I had the opportunity to have a rear seat center latch system, in conjunction with a seatbelt system, and, of course, a five point harness seat.

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-17-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm scared to watch the video.... :( But i just got off the phone with my fire dept a few minutes ago.. and will be making an appointment Monday to have Alden's seat checked out.

ramanth
11-17-2006, 12:59 PM
It's not gory Sara. Just sad since a child was lost in an accident. The surviving family put together a slide show of photos of him, sharing information on what they feel might of saved his life in the way of car seats/seatbelt options.

*hugs*

Chica
11-17-2006, 09:02 PM
It is very upsetting to me to see pets not restrained in vehicles.I have always put chica in a car seat made for small toy dogs. It is available at ryanspet.com for approx. $38.00.you can also take it out of the car and use it as a cart because it has wheels. I take Chica to the mall and go into all the stores with her, and people ask about the traveler seat, and where I got it. :) It's Great!!!!! :) Chica is always safe in my car. ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/chica1/CHICA2/mosaic5885181lovecopy.jpg