PDA

View Full Version : Labby Question!

coco-bean
11-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I always seem to forget this so im asking for your help so i can hopefully learn to remember what is probably very obvious! As you all know i have two labs, well i have one of each kind...the english and the american! I ALWAYS forget which kind is the bigger(coco) taller...slimmer one and which is shorter(cainan) stockier kind? hope that makes sense thanks in advance!

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-16-2006, 07:00 PM
English and american are not the proper terms. I'm pretty sure field (which would be what you're calling American) and bench/show (which would be what you're calling English) are the proper terms. That's what I've been told by numerous Lab and other retriever people anyway. The bench Labs are the stockier, short Labs and the field bred one are usually more lean, agile, and a bit taller. However, I'm definitely no expert on Labs so hopefully someone else will see this thread. I'm just going on what I've been told by others. :)

coco-bean
11-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Can both types be show dogs? or is it just bench (which im assuming is the...english? kind) anyways thanks again

bckrazy
11-16-2006, 07:04 PM
As long as they're registered, both bench & field can be shown... however, bench Labs, being "show" Labs, are definitely favored in AKC shows. Field Labs are not necessarily taller. Most of the field Labs I have met are much smaller than show Labs, like 50-65 lbs. Your two look like a combination of field & show to me =D not an extreme of either type, which is my favorite.

coco-bean
11-16-2006, 07:07 PM
coco's already a good 60 pounds right now and she's not even 8 months old! she's a big girl! she's not in her gangly and tall stage...but she is much MUCH taller than cainan by a good 5 inches with just 2 months difference!

Foxed
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I've always been under the assumption that the American type are field dogs. They're bred to work in the field all day so they've got tons of energy and are usually wilder. English (show type) are smaller and generally better family dogs because they're more relaxed and laid-back.

borzoimom
11-16-2006, 07:26 PM
English and american are not the proper terms. I'm pretty sure field (which would be what you're calling American) and bench/show (which would be what you're calling English) are the proper terms. That's what I've been told by numerous Lab and other retriever people anyway. The bench Labs are the stockier, short Labs and the field bred one are usually more lean, agile, and a bit taller. However, I'm definitely no expert on Labs so hopefully someone else will see this thread. I'm just going on what I've been told by others. :)
Correct..

.sarah
11-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Orangutango is correct - it's bench/show and field, not English and American. English Labs come from England, American come from America ;) Otherwise the terms you're looking for are bench (dogs bred for conformation) and field (dogs bred for their ability in the field). Did you get your dogs from breeders who breed specifically for field and show? If not, they are just pet bred, which makes up most of the Lab population. Nova and Luka are both pet bred, and Buck is field and show lines, with his mom being both, and his dad being field only.

They're bred to work in the field all day so they've got tons of energy and are usually wilder. English (show type) are smaller and generally better family dogs because they're more relaxed and laid-back.
This is a myth. Field dogs are not wilder. They have drive in the field but should be laid back but active otherwise. A 'wild' Lab should not be bred and if they are, this is a sign of an irresponsible breeder, and more likely, a pet Lab breeder. Both bench and field (and pet usually as well) make wonderful family dogs. Buck is active but by no means wild. Actually, Luka, one of my pet-bred Labs, is way, way more of a pain to keep happy. She is always wanting stimulation, she reminds me more of a Border Collie sometimes.

coco-bean
11-16-2006, 08:40 PM
The breeders didnt say wheather they were bred for any specifics... i know both moms (which are diff.) were very good hunting dogs and hunted quite frequently but the sizes of the moms are quite visible in their offspring! I saw both moms when i got both pups but before i even bought cainan i didnt realize the sizes were so....apparent! I think my boyfriend plans to hunt with coco eventually, we're just too busy right now so maybe next year! I just know when i look at websites of breeders they state that they breed "english labs" which is what i see most frequent, i rarely see American labs in their information. Even if that wasnt a myth i would have to dissagree! coco and cainan are very different! Coco...taller more lengthy is laid back...she gets excited to fetch and when she meets new people but over all she'd be the perfect house pet, but cainan is a WILD MAN, we often make race car noises because he randomly takes off in laps around the house/yard/park...pretty much wherever he goes he's going a hundred miles a minute!! But anyways i totally aggree with the fact it is a myth anyways! haha, thanks!

Foxed
11-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Sorry. -Laugh- I own a lab but they're not my specialty. ^^