PDA

View Full Version : July is Adopt a Rabbit Month!

Daisylover
06-11-2002, 11:28 AM
The ASPCA, Petfinder.com, and local shelters have combined forces to celebrate the first annual Adopt-a-Rabbit month in July.

Crepuscular in nature (active at dawn and dusk) they keep the same schedule as many working households. They are gentle, charming and have a wicked sense of fun. They leap and run about investigating their environment and are quiet, light-footed comedians thereby making them popular as neighbors in thin-walled apartments and townhouses. Be warned that you will need to bunny-proof your house, but it is a small price to pay for such loyalty and companionship.

Rabbits and children can be a great combination or a bad fit. Most rabbits do not like to be picked up and cuddled resulting from thousands of years as being dinner for another species. Their natural timidity should not be seen as a disqualification of them being a proper pet. The best way to get to know and understand your rabbit is to get down on the floor with them. This cannot be emphasized enough. Their curiousity will eventually overcome any hesitation about that huge, lumbering animal that walks on 2 feet will hurt them.

To help determine if a bunny is a good pet for you go to www.rabbit.org and/or petfinder.org/journal/adoptrabbit2002.html

Yes, they are work, but well worth the effort. Give a bunny a second chance and adopt from a sanctuary or shelter and help save a life. You'll be pleased at what you get in return.

Heather Wallace
06-11-2002, 11:45 AM
You are a good advocate for bunnies. You put that across nicely.

Well done with all of your efforts in helping unwanted bunnies out.

Let us know how July's adoption process goes will you? It will be interesting to know how many ggod people come forward.

Bunnicula05
06-11-2002, 09:30 PM
I want to get another bunny but I don't know if a place near me has rabbits up for adoption. I have a Rabbitry near me, they have polish, mini lops, and dutch bunnies for sale. I'm thinking of getting a dutch next year and plan to show it at our County Fair next year.

Daisylover
06-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Thank you both, Bunnicula and Heather for the kind words. Most of the time it seems like I am hitting my head on the wall trying to get anywhere with bunny awareness. Now we're having some problems at the sanctuary and I'm desperately hoping we can avoid closing down...but there are not enough volunteers and too much work for the few of us that do take the time.....I'm worried sick. And the only ones who lose are the bunnies.
I'm really depressed, and then annoyed, when I read that someone who made a commitment to adopt and care for their rabbits are trying to find them another home. Pet's should be a commitment and not a disposable inconvenience. I'm very discouraged as I see this situation arise all the time. Oh well.
:(

NoahsMommy
06-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Daisylover,

If you are referring to me, I am sorry to make you upset....I don't see it that way...my job is moving and I need to go with it so that I can go to the school I need to get into for my major (and my future) these rabbits were my husband's when we got married. We will be unable to move into student housing with them, trust me, we've tried asking and pleading... We do have cats, and plan on taking them with us, mainly because they are far less to take care of than rabbits. Our buns require fresh veggies each day and we are at the store at least three times a week so they are fresh and yummy for our buns. We don't have the time for that, and to be honest....the money for that either, it really adds up.

It breaks my heart that we have to give them up...they are the sweetest creatures I've ever met.

It isn't fair for them to be living with us and not getting the attention they deserve. Each time we walk by thier bunny run (they have a huge bunny condo and a 6 foot bunny run they have free riegn all the time) they run up to the cage and crave attention.

We want to find a home (not just drop them off at a rabbit rescue to make someone else do our work for us), and have devoted around 10 months to doing this, so they can be happy and be loved the way they deserve. We have already decided to supply the new home with a months worth of food, timothy hay, new applewood sticks, toys, bunny dishes, a new false floor for the run [they like to dig in the floor of our apartment :eek:] veggies, our special veggie containers that prolong veggie freshness in the fridge and a brand new book on how to take care of our buns.

I completely agree that there are many, many buns need that homes and it is terrible that we have to add to that. :( But, I hate to say, if we don't take care of our financial needs, there wont be food or a place to live for the bunnies anyway.

Again, I am sorry I've upset you. I think the work you do is wonderful! Keep it up, the bunnies need you.