PDA

View Full Version : Look what I just found on my backyard!!!

M&M's Mommy
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Turtle.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Turtle2.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Turtle1.jpg

What do I do now?? My husband gave it some lectuce sprinkled with water, and wanted to keep it in the backyard. I wanted to keep it out fearing that it may do some harm to the dogs, or the vice versa!.

I am just not sure of how to keep it out. I don't want to kill it, yet are not sure of where to bring it to.

Any suggestions?

GreyhoundGirl
11-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Does the SPCA take turtles? The best thing would probably be to release him, unless he is domestic or injured. I don't know much about turtles (near a creek, perhaps), though. :p

buttercup132
11-16-2006, 02:52 PM
That aint no turtle thats a tortoise! Dont put it in water what ever you do.

Try and keep it some place warm.:confused: Where are you located that you would get them , unless someone's escaped.

I would call a wildlife place. Maybe your spca can give you the number for one. If it isnt kept warm it can die, unless you live in a hot place. You might want to mention that you think it might be someones pet.

M&M's Mommy
11-16-2006, 03:00 PM
That aint no turtle thats a tortoise! Dont put it in water what ever you do.

Try and keep it some place warm.:confused: Where are you located that you would get them , unless someone's escaped.

What are the differences between a turtle and a tortoise?? I live in a city in California, no where near any creek or river, or stream. I rent a guest house where the owner have a very big backyard (about 25,000 sf) that is rarely taken care of, so the grasses are free to grow high. My dogs found it there, so we took it in and put it in a big plastic tub.

Is there any shelter that take in turtles? How should I check if it belongs to other people?? What is the SPCA??

Logan
11-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Just move it to an area where your dogs can't go. There is no reason to turn a turtle/tortoise that is uninjured over to rescue. It just needs to be out of harm's way. It will be much better off fending for itself, away from your dogs.

Logan

lute
11-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Just move it to an area where your dogs can't go. There is no reason to turn a turtle/tortoise that is uninjured over to rescue. It just needs to be out of harm's way. It will be much better off fending for itself, away from your dogs.

Logan
thats exactly what i was gonna say.

buttercup132
11-16-2006, 03:12 PM
What are the differences between a turtle and a tortoise?? I live in a city in California, no where near any creek or river, or stream. I rent a guest house where the owner have a very big backyard (about 25,000 sf) that is rarely taken care of, so the grasses are free to grow high. My dogs found it there, so we took it in and put it in a big plastic tub.

Is there any shelter that take in turtles? How should I check if it belongs to other people?? What is the SPCA??

Turtles and Tortoise belong to the same family called Testudines. However, the Tortoise is a member who is well adpated to living on land only approaching water to drink or bathe. They have a larger domed shell and thicker/more stocky legs than the Turtle. Turtles generally have smaller legs and spend a lot of time swimming in water as well as being able to venture onto land. Their shell is much flatter than that of the Tortoise, making it more streamlined for swimming.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-turtle.html

Scroll down. There is alot of difference between the to but no site really dose good saying what they are

Uabassoon
11-16-2006, 03:14 PM
There are lots of native land tortoises along the southwest, I see them here in Az all the time and when I lived in Texas I also saw a few.

I would call your local wildlife center, they would be able to tell you a good spot to release it or they would come and pick him to move him to a safe place.

Karen
11-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Just wanted to add that he will not harm the dogs at all, in any way. Yup, call local wildlife rehab - if you don't know of one, call Animal Control, they'll be abel to direct you to one.

elizabethann
11-16-2006, 03:40 PM
He's cute. Does he have a name? He looks like a Barney.

Good luck with your new addition. ;)

K9soul
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
It looks like an ornate box turtle. I grew up in Southwest Missouri and commonly saw both ornate and three-toed box turtles. Ornates do not eat much vegetation, they are primarily insectivores. She is probably looking for a place to hibernate. If they are not native to your region I'd definitely contact the wildlife rehab area. They like to climb into puddles of water sometimes but are not water turtles. She's cute :). I miss seeing box turtles.

http://www.gpnc.org/ornate.htm

M&M's Mommy
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Just wanted to add that he will not harm the dogs at all, in any way. Yup, call local wildlife rehab - if you don't know of one, call Animal Control, they'll be abel to direct you to one.

I guess I fear it because I've heard that if a turtle bite onto something, it will never release it unless it's killed. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but do not want to take any chances. My dogs found the turtle, and sniffed at it a bit too closely, it scared me. I am afraid that the turtle would feel threathened and bite them, or that the dogs would flip the turtle over and got biten!

My co-worker said that turtles could carry Salmonella, and make the dogs sick. That scares me even more..

Basically I don't want to keep it, but am not sure about how to get rid of it.

Ginger's Mom
11-16-2006, 03:50 PM
He is awfully cute. Yes, I agree with what several others have said. I would get out the phone book or get online and find the nearest wildlife rescue center. They can tell you what to do. I am glad that you got pictures of him while he was there though. Good luck little fellow (or girl :) ).

IRescue452
11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Call a wildlife place or spca, or release it in a wild wooded area.
There is a very old superstition that once a turtle bites it won't let go until it hears thunder. I'm sure thats where the "it won't release until dead" thought came from. It is nothing more than an old superstition. Trust me, if they didn't let go then I'd have turtle body piercings yet.
Your risk of salmonella from a wild caught turtle is extremely low also.

K9soul
11-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I guess I fear it because I've heard that if a turtle bite onto something, it will never release it unless it's killed. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but do not want to take any chances. My dogs found the turtle, and sniffed at it a bit too closely, it scared me. I am afraid that the turtle would feel threathened and bite them, or that the dogs would flip the turtle over and got biten!

My co-worker said that turtles could carry Salmonella, and make the dogs sick. That scares me even more..

That is a myth about them biting and not letting go. Box turtles are very docile and will close up in their shells if threathened. I've handled them many many times, fed them from my hand before etc, while growing up. They are not like snapping turtles or water turtles. The link I posted tells you more about ornates, this one is obviously a girl :). As far as salmonella, just wash your hands if you handle her. They used to come in and out of our yard all the time. There's nothing to fear from her. If they are native to your area you will more than likely be advised to just let her go on her natural way.

M&M's Mommy
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Call a wildlife place or spca, or release it in a wild wooded area.
There is a very old superstition that once a turtle bites it won't let go until it hears thunder.

That's exactly where my fear comes from. I heard that the only way to get a turtle to release something it's bitten onto is to kill it, which I don't think I could do.. But, if it bites my dogs, then I would have to.. Such scary thoughts make me don't want to take any parts in keeping it. My fear prevents me from enjoying the cute little guest that visits our yard!

I'll call the animal control to see what they say.

IRescue452
11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Why on earth do you think you have to kill it if it bites your dogs? You just pull it off. It isn't going to do any damage.

Karen
11-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I guess I fear it because I've heard that if a turtle bite onto something, it will never release it unless it's killed.

That's completely and totally untrue. Put that out of your mind right now.

M&M's Mommy
11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Why on earth do you think you have to kill it if it bites your dogs? You just pull it off. It isn't going to do any damage.

No, i do not want to kill the turtle or plan to do so :). I was just saying that my fear was I would have to do that because I've heard that it's the only way to release my dog from the turtle.

Many have already said that it was only a myth, and I should not be so scared of the little creature. I'm still scared, but only a little bit, not so much as before anymore.

Uabassoon
11-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Have you tried calling the wildlife center about him yet?

borzoimom
11-16-2006, 05:21 PM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Turtle.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Turtle2.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/ca_dao/Turtle1.jpg

What do I do now?? My husband gave it some lectuce sprinkled with water, and wanted to keep it in the backyard. I wanted to keep it out fearing that it may do some harm to the dogs, or the vice versa!.

I am just not sure of how to keep it out. I don't want to kill it, yet are not sure of where to bring it to.

Any suggestions?
Well as far as feeding spinach is better for the turtle and carrots. As far as taking him, in our state the box turtle is now endangered from some disease that kills them.
They do well with any veggies- spinach, carrots, lettuce etc. Water source like you did with water sprayed veggies is good but also little puddles like can lids etc with water. Also- once a week, spray the shell with water like a squart bottle.

lizbud
11-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I once found a turtle/tortise, whatever here in the city. The kids down
the street found it & were keeping it in a cooler on their porch. I got them
to give it to me & then called around to find someone to rescue it. I think
I posted about it on Pet General & several people steered me to a local
Turtle rescue/rehabber right here in the city. She came out & took him
home. She sent me newsletters on her groups efforts for a long time after
that.

buttercup132
11-16-2006, 07:30 PM

Basically I don't want to keep it, but am not sure about how to get rid of it.Thats the thing though its not a turtle its VERY different.

Well as far as feeding spinach is better for the turtle and carrots Since its NOT a TURTLE carrots arent good for them unless they are grated with a cheese grater and still then they arent the best. Spinach is also too high in something (I forget what) for them to eat.

borzoimom
11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
That's completely and totally untrue. Put that out of your mind right now.
Exactly!

BitsyNaceyDog
11-16-2006, 07:44 PM

Water turtles often do carry salmonella, but very rarely do land turtles/tortoises. You really don't have to worry about that.

As far as getting rid of him- it's usually best to put him back as close to where you found him as you can. Is your yard fenced? Maybe you could put him just outside your fence. If not I'd try to find a good wooded area to release him.

K9soul
11-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Box turtles are technically neither turtles nor tortoises. They are considered terrapins. In any case I don't think M&M's Mommy is planning to "keep" her so the dietary questions should not be a big concern :). Ornates are one of the more difficult species to keep anyway, and are not like the eastern or three toed boxers in that they eat primarily an insect diet rather than vegetation.

Argranade
11-16-2006, 08:07 PM

Any suggestions?

Uhhh ... why would you want to kill it?

kimlovescats
11-17-2006, 12:52 AM
What a gorgous fella! I would just find a safe place to move him to! Good luck! ;)

M&M's Mommy
11-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Uhhh ... why would you want to kill it?

Uhh... I never said I did want to kill it :confused:

M&M's Mommy
11-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Water turtles often do carry salmonella, but very rarely do land turtles/tortoises. You really don't have to worry about that.

As far as getting rid of him- it's usually best to put him back as close to where you found him as you can. Is your yard fenced? Maybe you could put him just outside your fence. If not I'd try to find a good wooded area to release him.

My yard is fenced, and the neighbors' yard on both side are also fenced. The closest forest (wooded area?) is a couple hours away. There are no streams or water areas that I know of. I can put him back into the yard, but unless he digs an underground tunnel, I don't see how he can get out. Oh wait, how he got in no one knows for sure, but he did get in, he can get out, right?

*Sigh*. I'll put him back in the spot where I found him tonite. And if by Sunday he's still there, I'll call animal control and have them take care of him for me.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Put him outside of a fenced area so he can be more mobile, more quickly. I can't believe you still have him contained! The sooner he can get back out into nature, the better off he is going to be. Did you ever try to call a wildlife rehab center for advice?
Yes, as long as the little guy isn't injured, I would let him go somewhere safe, away from traffic.

M&M's Mommy
11-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Put him outside of a fenced area so he can be more mobile, more quickly. I can't believe you still have him contained! The sooner he can get back out into nature, the better off he is going to be. Did you ever try to call a wildlife rehab center for advice?

There is nothing "nature" where I live. Outside of the fenced area are the city streets!! I live in the city where there are nothing but houses along the streets. If I leave him out, he'll either be crushed by people or killed by cars.

I'll leave him out in my yard for now, and if I still find him by Sunday, I'll call animal control to come pick him up.

borzoimom
11-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Too bad you dont live near me- we have a ton of woods..

Sophist
11-17-2006, 02:05 PM
This is a common turtle in the pet trade. Is it indigenous to your state? I highly doubt it. If it was a healthy wild turtle, it would have buried itself for hibernation by now. Plus, box turtles typically never move more than a few acres in their whole entire lives. He is only at your house by human interference and cruelty.

And also a word of caution about turning him into any local SPCA, or Humane Society... if you do this, please check them out carefully first. You would be amazed at how many will put down healthy, adoptable reptiles as a matter of policy. The HSUS and others are very much against pet reptiles, and if you turn him in to a typical shelter, well... he may actually be better of wandering into the busy city streets, which are his only other option right now besides your yard!

Please, if you are afraid of him, let me help you locate a reptile rescue! This little guy needs help. I don't think he's going to get another chance if you're giving up on him so easily :( .

M&M's Mommy
11-17-2006, 02:20 PM
And also a word of caution about turning him into any local SPCA, or Humane Society... if you do this, please check them out carefully first. You would be amazed at how many will put down healthy, adoptable reptiles as a matter of policy. The HSUS and others are very much against pet reptiles, and if you turn him in to a typical shelter, well... he may actually be better of wandering into the busy city streets, which are his only other option right now besides your yard!

Please, if you are afraid of him, let me help you locate a reptile rescue! This little guy needs help. I don't think he's going to get another chance if you're giving up on him so easily :( .

What are my other options?? I don't want to keep him in my backyard, because I don't know anything about reptiles, and won't be able to meet his need. Plus I have three small dogs who would not leave him alone :(

K9soul
11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Sophist, why do you highly doubt this ornate box turtle is indigenous? I grew up in Southern Missouri and saw many, many, many turtles exactly like this one. It is naturally found in many states in the wild. Eastern box turtles are more common captive bred pets, not as often ornates. Her hibernation spot may very well have been disturbed, and she was out and about seeking another one. The longer she is kept, the greater chance of her not making it. Her shell is also a bit beat up as is common in a lot of wild turtles who have been bumped by cars or whatnot before. If she is being kept inside, goes from cool outdoors, to warm indoors, back to cool outdoors, that alone could cause her to sicken and die. What region do you live in M&M's Mommy? It would be very easy to find out if ornate box turtles are native to your region.

Caution: ornate box turtles are not hardy and are not suitable for beginners. The have very specific needs, are very sensitive to stress and are difficult to keep in captivity. The wild capture of ornate box turtles for the pet trade has caused the untimely death of many of these easily stressed and delicate turtles, so if you are determined to keep an ornate box turtle please seek out a captive bred specimen and do not support the capture of wild turtles for the pet trade.

Additionally, box turtle populations are declining (listed by CITES as threatened, and import/export permits are necessary). Many states protect box turtle populations and have laws against collecting box turtles from the wild. It is best to get a pet box turtle bred in captivity from a reputable breeder. Wild caught turtles do not adjust well to captivity and many die from the stress. Pet stores often carry wild caught turtles, so be careful.

link to article (http://exoticpets.about.com/od/boxturtles/p/ornateboxt.htm)

edit: Also it does not matter if your back yard is fenced, turtles are excellent burrowers and climbers. They can easily get in, and out, of a fenced yard.

Sophist
11-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Sophist, why do you highly doubt this ornate box turtle is indigenous?

She simply does not sound like she is in an area it would be indigenous to. But, without her actual location, all I can do is doubt, and not be sure. I am aware that there are box turtles indigenous to parts of the united states, but that does not mean they can live anywhere in the U.S.

Even if it is in a state it naturally occurs in, it wouldn't be in a busy city area.

Sophist
11-17-2006, 03:07 PM
What are my other options?? I don't want to keep him in my backyard, because I don't know anything about reptiles, and won't be able to meet his need. Plus I have three small dogs who would not leave him alone :(

I strongly urge you to try to locate a rescue (I could help if I knew your location) or at least contact your local shelters to ask about their reptile policies.

I have to leave for work soon, this is going to eat at me all day wondering what will happen to this little guy.

M&M's Mommy
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
If she is being kept inside, goes from cool outdoors, to warm indoors, back to cool outdoors, that alone could cause her to sicken and die. What region do you live in M&M's Mommy? It would be very easy to find out if ornate box turtles are native to your region.

Right now we put the turtle in a huge plastic box in the patio area, with some dirt, dried grasses and a lectuce leave dipped in water for it. It has not been touched nor moved since it was found & placed in there yesterday. I am not sure how long the turtle had been in my backyard before I found it yesterday morning.

I live in Garden Grove, Orange County, California. How do I find out if it's native to my area, and what difference does that make??

M&M's Mommy
11-17-2006, 03:22 PM
I strongly urge you to try to locate a rescue (I could help if I knew your location) or at least contact your local shelters to ask about their reptile policies.

I have to leave for work soon, this is going to eat at me all day wondering what will happen to this little guy.

I'm willing to do anything to help the poor liltle guy. I just don't know how, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

K9soul
11-17-2006, 03:34 PM
She simply does not sound like she is in an area it would be indigenous to. But, without her actual location, all I can do is doubt, and not be sure. I am aware that there are box turtles indigenous to parts of the united states, but that does not mean they can live anywhere in the U.S.

Even if it is in a state it naturally occurs in, it wouldn't be in a busy city area.

Gotcha. Although I lived in town and still saw turtles frequently in yards and such. But as you say it is difficult to understand the whole situation without "seeing" it.

M&M, I found this on ornates..

"The Ornate Box Turtle may be found from South Dakota to southern Arizona and the Rio Grande valley. The Mississippi River generally marks the eastern boundary of its range. It prefers prairies and pastures to woodlands."

I'm not sure if they are ever found in your area but it did not mention as far west as California. It may be some released "pet" although my guess is at one time it was wild. Someone could have picked it up in another area and brought it home as a pet and then just released it. I would do a search in your phone book or online for the wildlife department or conservation department, or even Animal Control, and ask who you should get in touch with to help her. It sounds like you are keeping her in good temporary quarters. I wish the best for the poor girl.

Sophist
11-18-2006, 01:43 AM
I live in Garden Grove, Orange County, California. How do I find out if it's native to my area, and what difference does that make??

It isn't, and in general, it is the difference between life and death for released herps.

Here is a list of some Cali reptile rescues:

http://www.anapsid.org/societies/calif.html

This is probably your best bet right here, tho. If they can't take care of you, they'd probably at least be the best resource to hook you up with someone who could:

http://www.reptilerescueca.org/

Thank you so much for being willing to help her. A lot of people wouldn't. I know it isn't the same as finding a cute fluffy animal needing help, but reptiles are very special to me, and they can have a pretty rough time of getting the help they need. Let me know if I can help you out at all, and please let me know if they help you.

As far as feeding, it probably won't be a big issue... you can offer her some of the appropriate diet mentioned, but like I said before, she should be hibernating right now, so she shouldn't have too much of a feeding response. Ooh... thank you again for trying! :( I was so worried about her today. Please, please, please let me know any way I can help!

Pembroke_Corgi
11-18-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm willing to do anything to help the poor liltle guy. I just don't know how, so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Can you take him to a nearby park with some trees and area for him to live?

lizbud
11-18-2006, 11:18 AM
This is where I found help & rescue for the turtle in Indianapolis.

http://www.pogospals.com/

You should be able to find a place in you city or at least, your state.

Just google turtle rescue & then , your city.

Sophist
11-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Can you take him to a nearby park with some trees and area for him to live?

No, no, no!

Even if it was a NATIVE reptile, it would be quite traumatic to it to move it so far. If it was suited to life in the wild, it would already be buried and hibernating. In any case, this is not a California turtle, which not only means trouble for the turtle but also for M&M's Mommy if she is caught dumping it there.

I am a little amazed at the number of PT'ers who (especially after it having already been clearly established that she is in an urban area and this is not the turtles' native habitat) are in favor of just abandoning it. A cat would have a much better chance of surviving, but I don't think anybody would be so callous as to suggest dumping a kitty. :(

K9soul
11-18-2006, 02:18 PM
I am a little amazed at the number of PT'ers who (especially after it having already been clearly established that she is in an urban area and this is not the turtles' native habitat) are in favor of just abandoning it. A cat would have a much better chance of surviving, but I don't think anybody would be so callous as to suggest dumping a kitty. :(

Sophist, I understand your concern. I keep checking back to see any updates. Reptiles and especially turtles/tortoises have a special place in my heart. But only one person has mentioned release after it was established that the turtle is not native there, and she probably just hadn't read through all the replies (happens often). I had made my original suggestions based on the thought that the turtle was a wild turtle there. I lived in town and frequently had turtles visit our back yard, even had them hibernate in the brush pile before. Sometimes on a warm day in November, December etc, they'd come out and scrounge a bit before burrowing back down. I guess that is what I was thinking of with this little girl. Now that more information is revealed, I'm in complete agreement with your advice.

M&M's Mommy
11-18-2006, 02:34 PM
It isn't, and in general, it is the difference between life and death for released herps.

Here is a list of some Cali reptile rescues:

http://www.anapsid.org/societies/calif.html

This is probably your best bet right here, tho. If they can't take care of you, they'd probably at least be the best resource to hook you up with someone who could:

http://www.reptilerescueca.org/

I check on the first link you gave, and found the Orange County Turtle & Tortoise Club, but they do not list the phone number, so I emailed them. This one is the closest one. All other are anywhere from 1 1/2 - 8 hours away.

I'll keep you posted. Right now the turtle is released to my backyard, but he doesn't seem to move much. This morning I found him about 3 feet from where I left him last nite!

Sophist
11-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Sophist, I understand your concern. I keep checking back to see any updates. Reptiles and especially turtles/tortoises have a special place in my heart. But only one person has mentioned release after it was established that the turtle is not native there, and she probably just hadn't read through all the replies (happens often). I had made my original suggestions based on the thought that the turtle was a wild turtle there. I lived in town and frequently had turtles visit our back yard, even had them hibernate in the brush pile before. Sometimes on a warm day in November, December etc, they'd come out and scrounge a bit before burrowing back down. I guess that is what I was thinking of with this little girl. Now that more information is revealed, I'm in complete agreement with your advice.

She did establish pretty early on she was a city-dweller, though.

Uabassoon
11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
She did establish pretty early on she was a city-dweller, though.

I'm a city-dweller as well and I seen desert tortiouses near my house.

Sophist
11-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm a city-dweller as well and I seen desert tortiouses near my house.

I've lived in Orange County before, and trust me... you don't see many. Especially not many that don't live in the wild areas of Cali.

M&M's Mom, have you still just left it in the yard? It does not sound like a healthy terrapin, so this worries me a lot. Did you try to contact Reptile Rhapsody like I suggested? Have you recieved a reply email?

M&M's Mommy
11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I've lived in Orange County before, and trust me... you don't see many. Especially not many that don't live in the wild areas of Cali.

M&M's Mom, have you still just left it in the yard? It does not sound like a healthy terrapin, so this worries me a lot. Did you try to contact Reptile Rhapsody like I suggested? Have you recieved a reply email?

I sent two emails, and just checked my mailbox a few minutes ago. No replies yet.

I placed her in the yard since Friday afternoon, checked it on Saturday morning, and found that it had not moved very far (only a few feet from where I left it) - On Saturday afternoon, we checked again, and she moved a few more feet (but still very much visible on my yard). My husband was worry, so this morning he placed it back into the container!

We're back at square one.

I called another rescue group, but no one answered the phone so I left a message. I came to the local petstore to ask them about it, and they said that it's a box turtle and could be kept as pet, which I don't want to for myself. Do you think I should ask around my family members and friends to see if anyone might want a turtle pet, in case I hear no response from the rescue groups?

Sophist
11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Why haven't you called Reptile Rhapsody? :( Clearly, this little turtle isn't doing well. He needs help. He needs it right away, from the sounds of it. You an try looking for family members to take it, but if they have no idea how to care for box turtles it could be pretty tricky to nurse one back to help.
Please call Reptile Rhapsody. If it helps, I will give you a phone card number to use. If they can't help you, they can at least get you in touch with the best people to save this life.

M&M's Mommy
11-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Why haven't you called Reptile Rhapsody? :( Clearly, this little turtle isn't doing well. He needs help. He needs it right away, from the sounds of it. You an try looking for family members to take it, but if they have no idea how to care for box turtles it could be pretty tricky to nurse one back to help.
Please call Reptile Rhapsody. If it helps, I will give you a phone card number to use. If they can't help you, they can at least get you in touch with the best people to save this life.

I called Reptile Rhapsody on Sunday (and just called again a few minutes ago) - no one answered the phone on both times.

lizbud
11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
If you are getting no satisfaction from the rescue groups, just call
your local animal control number & they might better know who can take
the turtle in for shelter,etc.

K9soul
11-21-2006, 04:46 PM
People who work at pet stores are not experts. Ornate box turtles in particular are a very delicate species and should ONLY be kept by advanced reptile keepers and even then it is illegal to take them from the wild in most places. I would urge you very strongly not to just give this girl to someone as a pet. I hope you are able to get ahold of the rescue soon.. :(

M&M's Mommy
11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
People who work at pet stores are not experts. Ornate box turtles in particular are a very delicate species and should ONLY be kept by advanced reptile keepers and even then it is illegal to take them from the wild in most places. I would urge you very strongly not to just give this girl to someone as a pet. I hope you are able to get ahold of the rescue soon.. :(

My patience is stretched for this little one. I don't want to keep it any longer, but are not yet able to get a hold of anyone who do.

I'll call animal control today after I get off work.

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
My patience is stretched for this little one. I don't want to keep it any longer, but are not yet able to get a hold of anyone who do.

I Know how you feel, when i had to call about the injured wild duck, it took forever to get ahold of someone let alone someone who wanted to deal with it! It made me very angry that no one wanted to help!!

Sophist
11-22-2006, 04:57 AM

What did they have to say?

I understand your patience being stretched, but you are trying to save a life. I would just pay for you to ship her to me, but she certainly doesn't seem to be in good enough condition for it. Please don't get so frustrated that you stop trying. Have you left messages for Reptile Rhapsody? Did you try to call the rescue you emailed?

This is a pet who has been betrayed by her owner. Maybe you don't deserve to have had it dumped on you, but she doesn't deserve to die because of her owner's callousness either.

Logan
11-29-2006, 12:01 PM
What was the outcome on this? I have been away and was wondering what ended up happening?

M&M's Mommy
11-29-2006, 12:24 PM
What was the outcome on this? I have been away and was wondering what ended up happening?

I called animal control, and they finally came to pick it up. The guy that came told me he's not sure what they would do with it, but they'll figure it out!! :confused: