PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Dogs...Breeding!?

ramanth
11-16-2006, 12:49 PM
:eek: Is this even possible?

At least they are doing investigation with DNA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=416816&in_page_id=1770

Did this cat breed with a dog?
Last updated at 16:18pm on 16th November 2006

This is Mimi, the first cat to give birth to puppies, her owner claims.

Brazilian Cassia Aparecida de Souza, 18, says three of the cat’s six offspring, which were born three months after Mimi mated with a neighbour’s dog, have canine traits.

A geneticist from the Passo Fundo University plans to take blood samples from the animals to verify the claim.

Cute kitty and puppies besides.

Just wanted to edit to say, I'm pretty certain that the cat took some puppies to nurse them. However, it would be pretty freaky if it were possible.

critter crazy
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
I would have thought it was impossible!! :eek:

luvofallhorses
11-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I highly doubt it's even possible. It could be that her cat took to the puppies with a motherly instinct, but giving birth to them. I don't think so. they are very cute, though! :) I seriously think that woman must be dreaming. ;) donkeys and pigs can't have babies together, so I am seriously doubting this is even true.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-16-2006, 01:09 PM
If that cat had those big old puppies, it would have killed her. :eek:

Husky_mom
11-16-2006, 01:14 PM
it can´t be possibe due to the fact that they are totally different species, not like lions and tigers which both are feline and can mix.......but not a canine and a feline.......genes and chromosomes just do´nt match........ :) nice try........the momma cat taking puppies to nurse is cute though

pitc9
11-16-2006, 01:17 PM
If it were possible... you'd think it would have been happened before now!
Look at how long cats and dogs have been domesticated..... and they've only just now started breeding to one another? :rolleyes:

I don't think it's true that the cat gave birth to the pups.
Just someone trying to make the news.

But yes they are cute no matter what! :D

Miss Z
11-16-2006, 01:42 PM
That definitely can't be true. A cat egg could never be fertilised by a dog, the chromosomes just wouldn't match. The British newspaper has got it a little wrapped around it's neck I think, but as others have said, the cat and pups are so cute!

sumbirdy
11-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't think it is possible.

Argranade
11-16-2006, 04:25 PM
THATS SO COOL! :eek:

lizbud
11-16-2006, 05:34 PM
It just is not possible for a cat & dog to have offspring.Looks like a
story you might find in the Enquirer or something. :D

Danegirl2208
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
It just is not possible for a cat & dog to have offspring.Looks like a
story you might find in the Enquirer or something. :D

lol my thoughts exactly.. its funny what people will say and do for a bit of media attention :rolleyes:

smokey the elder
11-17-2006, 10:34 AM
No way. The genes wouldn't even match up!

crow_noir
11-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Saying hypothetically that the cat and dog did breed... I'd be certain the offspring would be true hybrids (incapable of reproduction.)

BC_MoM
11-17-2006, 02:07 PM
If it were possible... you'd think it would have been happened before now!

Exactly. They're two different species - it's impossible.

borzoimom
11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
I looked into this like several months back. Cats and dogs have a different chromazone amount, so nooooooooo they cant.
However- dogs can get pg with coyotes, and domestic cats with bob cats..

ramanth
11-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, the verdict we knew that was coming has arrived. :D

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2006-11-22T021225Z_01_N21441558_RTRUKOC_0_US-BRAZIL-DOGCATS.xml&WTmodLoc=OddNewsHome_C1_%5bFeed%5d-4

Blood tests debunk cat-puppy claim
Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:10pm ET

SAO PAULO, Brazil (Reuters) - Brazil's cat-puppy mystery has been solved.

Blood tests refute a Brazilian woman's claim that her cat had given birth to three puppies, geneticist Adil Pacheco said Tuesday.

Cassia Aparecida de Souza, 18, from a poor neighborhood of Passo Fundo in southern Brazil, said last Friday that her cat Mimi had given birth to the three puppies as well as three kittens, which did not survive.

"People who aren't experts often imagine things," said Pacheco, director of the Institute of Biological Sciences of the University of Passo Fundo. "All the facts contradict her."

Pacheco, who was asked by a local newspaper to conduct a chromosome test to check the spectacular claim which gained wide media attention, said mammals sometimes nursed the young from another species.

Another cute photo of the kitty and puppies.