PDA

View Full Version : Possible new addition

Freedom
11-15-2006, 07:23 PM
I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

For about 2 months, we have been thinking of adding to our family. But Dad insists we have enough cats, plus one too many. (Ebony was "supposed" to be a foster. That only lasted half an hour, lol.)

My aunt told me Dad always had dogs, we always had a dog as kids, and my Dad needs a dog! I don't know how she came to this conclusion, but she did. So I started looking around, and thinking about it.

At this stage of life (Dad turns 80 on Nov 24), a puppy was unlikely to fit in very well. And I need to keep in mind that I have 7 cats to attend to already.

I think many of you heard how I adopted Cuddles, the abused kitty from the shelter. Watching her grow and progress and relax and become calmer over these 14 months has been SO incredible. She still has lots of adjustments to make, but she keeps going along at her own pace.

Someone here on Pet Talk - borzoismom - suggested I look into a puppy mill rescue organization, Small Paws Rescue. They focus on bichon frises, but they will get any dog out of a puppy mill that they can. Non bichons get turned over to the rescue for that breed. So I started looking into their web site and reading up on what they do and how it all works. It sounded good but . . . very sad. And so many of the rescues don't have a clue how to act in what we consider a "normal" house setting. So it is necessary that there already be a socialized dog in the home for the rescue to follow.

And then I saw the write up for Sugar. I was in love!! I printed out her write up and have had it posted here in my home office for 3 weeks. And I submitted an application.

Then I told Dad. He said, "no, no, no, we don't need pet #8; I don't want a small dog (he never had one smaller than 65 pounds), we don't need the extra work." I gave him the write up to read. Ten minutes later I went to look for him.

He was out in the backyard, measuring for the fence. Yippee!!! that was last week, on Wednesday.

I just had a half hour interview with the volunteer interviewer from Small Paws.

She said that my vet's office gave me a resounding recommendation.

She had a bunch of questions for me. She said this was one of the easiest
interviews she has ever done as I addressed every question on the application, answered everything fully, and gave a good idea of what the dog's new situation would be like.

At the end, she told me she will be sending off an email message that both she and the vet say OK. So we move on to the next step.

Sugar's foster mom has to call and interview me and agree to the adoption.

Sugar could be here by the first week in December!!!!

Anyone with any advice with cats meeting dogs, especially small dogs, PLEASE feel free to let me in on any thoughts! Post or PM is fine.

Meet Sugar:

[http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6695232

Sandra

molucass
11-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Congratulations!! But, I can't get the link to work. :(

Freedom
11-15-2006, 07:29 PM
OK, I redid the link, I think it is working.

molucass
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Aww! She's cute! :)

I've never seen a "shaved" bichon, so forgive my ignorance, but she looks more like a poodle than a bichon. Regardless, she's cute no matter what. Congratulations again!

tikeyas_mom
11-15-2006, 07:35 PM
right on Freedom..
We need more people like you to step up and adopt an older dog. Sugar is so sweet, She looks like she would be happy to just cuddle all day :). Wait till she meets you, Im sure you'll be every bit more in love with her once you bring her home. :). Congradulations, I wish my dad was so easily prosued ;)

Freedom
11-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I learned there are at least 3 different cuts for the bichon.

The lamb cut is what you see in this picture. It is the easiest to maintain. Visit the groomer's (or do the trimmings yourself) every 6 to 8 weeks to avoid mats.

The teddy bear cut is fuller.

The show cut - well, that is what we see at Westminster and not at all what I will be doing, he he he.

borzoimom
11-16-2006, 08:14 AM
lol hahaha... I told you this would work and not to worry! I am so glad all the application and interviews went well.
I cant wait to see pictures of your new baby!

mruffruff
11-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a perfect match. It's good to hear about an older dog getting a home and especially to an older human. They need each other.

Since Sugar already is good with cats, I don't see a problem. Just supervise for a while until everyone gets to know each other.

borzoimom
11-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a perfect match. It's good to hear about an older dog getting a home and especially to an older human. They need each other.

Since Sugar already is good with cats, I don't see a problem. Just supervise for a while until everyone gets to know each other.
I agree - and I am sure she will.. WE WANT PICTURES.. lol..

Rachel
11-16-2006, 09:26 AM
The lamb cut is what you see in this picture. It is the easiest to maintain. Visit the groomer's (or do the trimmings yourself) every 6 to 8 weeks to avoid mats.

Oh my goodness. Sugar is really precious and at 9 she is in her prime. I'm so excited for you. Your dad is going to fall in love.

Basically that is the same cut that our groomer gives Hannah and it is so easy to maintain. Hannah's hair grows pretty fast, so we do the 6 weeks routine.

BC_MoM
11-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Woohoo! Congrats! :D I prefer my Bichon's shaved, so I'm in love with her!

Muddy4paws
11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Shes a very pretty girl! Be careful when you ask for a lamb cut, in the groomer i work for a lamb trim is really a poodle haircut its very different to a bichon cut. I can show you what I mean if im not making sense! lol

elizabethann
11-16-2006, 11:42 AM
What a cutie pie.

pitc9
11-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh I'm so happy you've adopted an older dog!
Yippeee!!

As far as introducing the cats to the pup, I would be of no help, I'm sorry but I'm sure someone here on PT would be able to give you advise!
Have you posted about this on the Cat side?

Congrats on your new addition!

Rachel
11-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Any news on when you will be talking with Sugar's foster mom?