PDA

View Full Version : Possible new addition

Freedom
11-15-2006, 07:19 PM
I am so excited and nervous at the same time.

For about 2 months, we have been thinking of adding to our family. But Dad insists we have enough cats, plus one too many. (Ebony was "supposed" to be a foster. That only lasted half an hour, lol.)

My aunt told me Dad always had dogs, we always had a dog as kids, and my Dad needs a dog! I don't know how she came to this conclusion, but she did. So I started looking around, and thinking about it.

At this stage of life (Dad turns 80 on Nov 24), a puppy was unlikely to fit in very well. And I need to keep in mind that I have 7 cats to attend to already.

I think many of you heard how I adopted Cuddles, the abused kitty from the shelter. Watching her grow and progress and relax and become calmer over these 14 months has been SO incredible. She still has lots of adjustments to make, but she keeps going along at her own pace.

Someone here on Pet Talk - on the Dog side - borzoismom - suggested I look into a puppy mill rescue organization, Small Paws Rescue. They focus on bichon frises, but they will get any dog out of a puppy mill that they can. Non bichons get turned over to the rescue for that breed. So I started looking into their web site and reading up on what they do and how it all works. It sounded good but . . . very sad. And so many of the rescues don't have a clue how to act in what we consider a "normal" house setting. So it is necessary that there already be a socialized dog in the home for the rescue to follow.

And then I saw the write up for Sugar. I was in love!! I printed out her write up and have had it posted here in my home office for 3 weeks. And I submitted an application.

Then I told Dad. He said, "no, no, no, we don't need pet #8; I don't want a small dog (he never had one smaller than 65 pounds), we don't need the extra work." I gave him the write up to read. Ten minutes later I went to look for him.

He was out in the backyard, measuring for the fence. Yippee!!! that was last week, on Wednesday.

I just had a half hour interview with the volunteer interviewer from Small Paws.

She said that my vet's office gave me a resounding recommendation.

She had a bunch of questions for me. She said this was one of the easiest
interviews she has ever done as I addressed every question on the application, answered everything fully, and gave a good idea of what the dog's new situation would be like.

At the end, she told me she will be sending off an email message that both she and the vet say OK. So we move on to the next step.

Sugar's foster mom has to call and interview me and agree to the adoption.

Sugar could be here by the first week in December!!!!

Anyone with any advice with cats meeting dogs, especially small dogs, PLEASE feel free to let me in on any thoughts! Post or PM is fine.

Meet Sugar:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6695232

Sandra

kimlovescats
11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
How exciting! Sugar is adorable! :)

Catty1
11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
How exciting...I smiled when I pictured your dad out there measuring the fence! :)

You'll get lots of pointers...but I would think introducing a new dog is similar to intro'ing any new animal. Keep Sugar in her own space, away from the cats for a while. Get a towel with her scent on it, and let the cats smell it - and vice versa.

From her writeup, seems like she would love to play with the kitties - but they may not be of the same mind!

Mostly, give them time and space.

HUGS to the newbie!

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I hope that everything works out and that you'll be able to adopt her.:) I don't know how you introduce a dog to cats but I'd take it slowly.:)

KitCat
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Good luck with your new addition. She seems like just the right doggy.

Freedom
11-20-2006, 02:39 PM
I had the interview with the foster mom this afternoon. She said she will recommend they proceed. O BOY ...er, I guess I should say O GIRL!

step1 - they spoke with my vet.
step 2 - a state coordinator interviewed me. That was a half hour phone call, and the W VA coordinator was the person who called me.
stpe 3 - this was Sugar's current foster mom.

Only 2 steps left - payment and travel arrangements!!!!

Sandra

krazyaboutkatz
11-21-2006, 12:45 AM
Wow!!! This is a great update. She's almost yours.:) I hope that everything will go smoothly. When will she be coming home with you?

Freedom
11-21-2006, 07:03 AM
I spoke with Sugar's foster mom yesterday (Monday) afternoon for over an hour.

We have been approved to adopt Sugar. We are all set!!

I just completed all the final paperwork and payment.

Now we are waiting to hear about her travel arrangements. They fly their dogs as priority cargo.

I still need to buy a child gate to close off one section for the cats to retreat!

SO exciting!!
Sandra

critter crazy
11-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Congrats!! cant wait to see your new addition!! Such awsome news!!!

catmandu
11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Sugar is one Great Dog, and Sugar is a gift that You and Your Family will treasure for yeras to come.
Sugar is guarantedd to give back at least 1 Million percent back the LOVE and TLC that you are going to give her.While other Gifts gather dust Sugar will become A Beloved Companion and Friend.
A Fantastic Bargain for 75 Dollars.
God Bless You for helping Sugar find her Family.