PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Animal Services Dogs

areias
11-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Here in Tampa, our Hillsborough County Animal Services has had an outbreak of canine distemper. Supposedly four have died from it, and six were infected. Dog adoptions have been closed since October, they were supposed to reopen on Monday but now they don't know when they will reopen. Here is a news article:
Click Here (http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=42722)

Unfortunately our local animal services is somewhat-unforgiving, and nothing is treated. An animal has to be in top health when it comes in and during its stay to be passed through to adoption. Otherwise it is euthanized. Although some of the articles say only two were euthanized and two are being treated-I don't think that is the case. I talk to a lady there all the time-she helped me pick a decent dog, told me which ones she thought would be the best in my household, told me which ones were kinda grumpy, etc. And she's also told me the horror stories that I am not allowed to repeat. I'm not totally sure, but based on what I've heard and seen there, I have a feeling that any dog that is as much as lethargic or have a runny stool, that they are being PTS. I wouldn't put it past the director of the place to order a total euthanasia throughout the building. I go there every week or two, just to take a look and also my friend is looking for something, so both of us pretty much know the dogs that are there, or were there. We were there two days before they closed-there were so many that I just wanted to take home. There was also two gorgeous purebred rough collies, and to think that all these dogs may have been PTS...it's really upsetting.

So any prayers, good thoughts, anything sent their way would be great. Hopefully my suspicions are wrong and when they reopen I'll still see a few of the faces that I had seen before. I keep thinking of this senior Collie/Shepherd mix that was there, I had briefly thought about adopting before I moved back to moms because I felt so bad for her. I hope she makes it.

borzoimom
11-15-2006, 02:53 PM
you need any help with this, pm me and I will give you some information.. Keep us posted okay?

lizbud
11-15-2006, 04:49 PM
The article said the center would test for the disease, but won't
treat, or give preventive shots.That does not make a lot of sense. If they
could test and segregate the sick animals & give preventive care for
the others, they could end the spreading of it quicker.

lovingpaws
11-15-2006, 05:12 PM
areias - you're just across the pond.

I'll send up prayers, and share this. Hillsborough County is doing more than Pinellas C. would do. Also a while ago, I believe greyhound track went through same (? here) I've heard my share of "horror stories", but take in a breath, release and wait. They aren't taking in dogs, so they're under no pressure (I assume they aren't taking surrenders) to empty kennels. But to issolate those showing signs of infection.

There was a story in August, don't remeber where exactly, Pasco I think about Pit confiscation, & their last days at animal services - and the bad rap the people who work there get, it allowed me - if just a little to believe there are some good people working there, and those who volunteer, they have to be angels.

cyber-sibes
11-15-2006, 05:37 PM
prayers and all paws crossed for those pups.

areias
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
areias - you're just across the pond.

I'll send up prayers, and share this. Hillsborough County is doing more than Pinellas C. would do. Also a while ago, I believe greyhound track went through same (? here) I've heard my share of "horror stories", but take in a breath, release and wait. They aren't taking in dogs, so they're under no pressure (I assume they aren't taking surrenders) to empty kennels. But to issolate those showing signs of infection.

There was a story in August, don't remeber where exactly, Pasco I think about Pit confiscation, & their last days at animal services - and the bad rap the people who work there get, it allowed me - if just a little to believe there are some good people working there, and those who volunteer, they have to be angels.

Oh yes, some of the people that work there are wonderful. Others are just trying to get into the county to eventually get a deputy job. I'm hoping they aren't euthanizing everything, but I really wouldn't put it past them. The director, or someone gives an order-we have too many, put 20 dogs and 30 cats down. Cages G-11 through G-31, no matter what's in them. And thats what happens. Aggressive dogs, any dog showing any kind of sign that it could possibly be parvo, are put down. People turning in stray cats...the cats are immediately euthanized. Not that the place is a h*ll hole, they have many dogs in adoption, but their euthanization rate is between 100-200 animals daily. :(

lovingpaws
11-18-2006, 03:18 AM
I just hate it too.
"Life, liberty and the prusuit of happiness", well all the testing, euthi, factory farming, :( it really cuts into that, so one really has to count on prayers to get through.