PDA

View Full Version : New Level Of Sleeze For Fox Channel

lizbud
11-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I just heard of this new TV show on Fox Network. I can't believe they are
serious about doing this OJ show. :mad:

Fox's O.J. Simpson show tarnishes all of television
What happened to Fox?

Sure, we all remember that this is the channel that brought us “Joe Millionaire” and “The Littlest Groom” and all sorts of stomach-churning reality fare.

Still, this is also the network that broadcasts “House.” It’s the former home of “Arrested Development,” for goodness sake.

Fox has even moved away from sleazoid reality in recent years, transitioning to more family friendly fare such as “So You Think You Can Dance.” And in “American Idol,” it’s got possibly the most family-friendly franchise in all of television.

Speaking of that last show – it is, as you’re no doubt aware, a cash cow. Thanks to “Idol,” Fox is rolling in dough.

So why on Earth would the network feel the need to air “O.J. Simpson: If I Did It, Here's How It Happened,” a nauseating two-part special in which the former NFL star will talk about how he would have killed his ex-wife and Ronald Goldman – except that, of course, he didn’t.

As my colleague Phil Rosenthal pointed out in his column today, a book on the same topic, published by a Fox-owned company, is coming out Nov. 30, the day after the second part of the interview airs on the Fox network. “It's one hand soiling the other,” Rosenthal wrote.

Perhaps Fox executives were forced by their corporate overlords to air this disgusting spectacle. One wished they’d had the backbone to just say no.

This move tarnishes not only the network, giving people the impression that Fox has gone back to peddling full-on sleaze, but it tarnishes all of television. I’d bet the producers of “House” and “24” are currently taking anti-nausea medication at the thought that they have to share a network with this kind of tabloid trash.

Fox executives need to take a good hard look at their network and decide what they want it to be known for. Frankly, aside from “House” and “24,” there’s not much worth watching on Fox.

Of course “Idol” will continue to fill the coffers for years to come, but executives at the network seem to have given up on trying to come up with quality scripted fare to fill up the space between “Idol” seasons. This season’s new Fox shows were particularly weak, and many of the networks new programs are already gone.

It’s going to take Fox a very long time to live down the stigma of this heinous O.J. program. Perhaps an effort to come up with a slate of quality programs will help. A little.

The bottom line is, Fox needs this program like it needs a hole in the head. Does it want to be known for popular, quality programs or does it want to be known as the purveyor of exploitative fare?

Rupert Murdoch and his Fox network minions needs to decide

JenBKR
11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Wow...... :eek: not even sure what to say about that. Maybe O.J. finally wants to admit that he actually did do it?

Not that I have a ton of respect for Fox, or any tv channel, but any respect I do have will be gone if they air that.

Killearn Kitties
11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
I sincerely hope that the Police will be watching it.

JenBKR
11-15-2006, 02:30 PM

Unfortunately, due to double jeopardy, he could admit that he did it on national tv and they couldn't touch him. He was already tried for the crime, he cannot be tried again for the same crime.

Pam
11-15-2006, 02:40 PM
The whole OJ thing really steams me. I hope Johnny Cochran is restless in his grave, although I know the blame is not completely his but I won't go there.... Anyone who gives this creep time on the airwaves is an idiot. *sigh*

Pembroke_Corgi
11-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Oh my god that is horrible. To talk about a REAL murder like that? Sick.

elizabethann
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
OJ just doesn't have a clue, does he? I wonder if he got any money for the interview and if the proceeds will go to the Goldman family? I think he still owes them millions of dollars from the civil suit.

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 05:18 PM
The whole OJ thing really steams me. I hope Johnny Cochran is restless in his grave, although I know the blame is not completely his but I won't go there.... Anyone who gives this creep time on the airwaves is an idiot. *sigh*

You forgot whathisname...Kardashian.....Look at his reaction when that verdict was read.

First of all Fox is taking a chance for ratings....

THE PERSON TO BLAME IN THAT SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY- JUDITH REAGAN

She is the one that owns Reagan Books.......and the one that will pay Simpson the bucks..

It is too bad that Fox is giving this moron airplay but you have to wonder what he will say and how much he will indict himself.

Fox stands to make ratings, Reagan and Simpson the money.....

Go figure.

Do do do do, da da da da , is all I want to say to you!!!! ;)

Killearn Kitties
11-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Do do do do, da da da da , is all I want to say to you!!!! ;)
Not them, you lunatic! The REAL Police Force, who just might be able to do something about it, if he says enough.

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Fox stands to make ratings, Reagan and Simpson the money.....

Not exactly true RICHARD....Fox makes money from the commercials aired during the broadcast and Reagan (any relation???) makes money if the books sell.

So blame the publisher, blame the network....but do save a little blame for anyone who watches it. (and it should go without saying.....beyond blame for Simpson himself.)

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Not exactly true RICHARD....Fox makes money from the commercials aired during the broadcast and Reagan (any relation???) makes money if the books sell.

Ratings=money.

No, I am not related to any Reagan. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Ratings=money

In a manner of speaking. Higher ratings means the network can charge more money for commercials.

But it is still incorrect to say Fox will be making ratings and suggest not be making money on this broadcast....unless they are running it commercial-free.

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you happen to know how much a prime time rating point is worth?

Me either....

I never suggested that Fox wouldn't make money on the interview.

I guess living so close to Hollywood has wrecked me. :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Yes living in Red....opps I mean Orange County gives me the objectivity of distance..... ;) ;)

slick
11-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Will we get to see the bloody glove??? :p

RICHARD
11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
I have to laugh about one thing.

I saw a copy of the press release that Denise Brown sent out about this topic.

The press release had a color picture of DB, in an evening gown on the cover.

I always found DB a tastelless media whore and by using her "glamour shot'
on the press release makes it that much clearer....

IT was all about the victims, Until Fred and Denise showed up. :rolleyes:

Sophist
11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Sleazy and trashy, yes... but if any adults still believed in believed in Fox's (or television in generals) dedication to restraint, quality and good taste... well, all I have to say to that is how cute.

It's tv. The sooner you lose all faith in it, the better off you are ;) .

To be honest, I really don't understand how this is a whole lot worse than the airtime given to people like Scott Peterson, Michael Jackson, anyone who's willing to speak about JonBenet Ramsey, and other such notorious people, and it isn't a lot different than making a tv movie of the week on a case before the ink is dry. Anyone else recall Elizabeth Smart's family being involved in a trashy tv movie? I mean, their daughter just got home and was trying to sort through being raped and brainwashed, and not only did they participate, they actually considered having Elizabeth play herself and relive those experiences! And don't even get me started on your average talk show, or Doctor Phil, or Barbara Walters interview... :eek: They're all tawdry, indecent, and mostly devoid of sensitivity and good taste. It's about money and attention.
I'm sure it is just another pathetic attempt by Simpson to exonerate himself, and remember that unlike most other notorious criminal cases, Fox can at least hide behind the fact that Simpson was technically found not guilty. I expect them to try to spin it that they are trying to clear an innocent man and find the real killer.

Sophist
11-16-2006, 02:11 PM
I forgot the most burning issue... I won't be watching it no matter what, but will it bring back the Dancing Itos? :D

RICHARD
11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I forgot the most burning issue... I won't be watching it no matter what, but will it bring back the Dancing Itos? :D

They are currently on tour in Iceland.

There are no immediate plans for a U.S. tour, but a satellite/cable special may be aired on CNN, the most trusted name in news, opposite Fox's O.J. interview.
:cool:

Marigold2
11-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Even though everyone with half a brain knows he is guity nothing can be done. His trial is over. However we can and should do something. We can write letters to FOX and we can make sure he does not profit by not buying any product that would give him any monies. We can also boycott any manufactor who promots him. I think his not beng able to make money in the future is a small price to pay for slitting two young peoples throats and sending family and friends into a lifelong nightmare of dispare and horrible pain. I can not even imagine what Nicoles last thoughts were, as a mom it haunts me still.

cyber-sibes
11-17-2006, 12:16 AM
I generally like Fox news, but over the past months they've changed. I hate the goofy morning show hosts, it's gotten way too frivilous, and the OJ thing will just be one more idiotic attention-grabbing ploy. I don't plan to watch it. Why give this self-centered goon any more attention? We have probably all made our minds up if we think he's guilty or not, (Duh!) So why waste any more air time on him? I'm confused and very disappointed by Fox's downhill trend.

Pam
11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
I watched Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) last night and his program was pretty much all about this whole mess. He asked viewers to please NOT watch the interview, not buy the book and not buy anything from any of the sponsors of this disgusting event.

I caught a little of Hannity and Colmes (don't particularly care for that show) and unbelievably Alan Colmes thinks Simpson is innocent. :rolleyes: Frankly, I think anyone who thinks OJ is innocent doesn't have common sense enough to come in out of the rain. They are just not in touch with reality. Mark Furhrman was on and sort of got into an argument with Colmes. Whether you like MF or not, he did a lot of good police work and the whole trial was de-railed over the *N* word. Amazing to think that a man could be acquitted of murder because the jurors were upset over someone using the *N* word. I guess that is a bigger crime than murder in some people's eyes. :rolleyes:

lizbud
11-17-2006, 12:33 PM
I watched Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) last night and his program was pretty much all about this whole mess. He asked viewers to please NOT watch the interview, not buy the book and not buy anything from any of the sponsors of this disgusting event.

I agree with O'Reilly on that. (never thought I'd say that) :p
I wonder why people would want to watch a creep like OJ anyway?

critter crazy
11-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Our Local Fox channel will not be airing this Show! I was very impressed by this fact, I wouldnt have watched it eiither way, it is in poor taste!

Edwina's Secretary
11-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Whether you like MF or not, he did a lot of good police work and the whole trial was de-railed over the *N* word.

I agree with you that MF did good police work and his personal opinions should not negate the work he did (but I think that about many situations. ;) ) I also think the prosecuters did a equally poor job at the trial. They were so busy "being on tv" they got outlawyered.

lizbud
11-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Our Local Fox channel will not be airing this Show! I was very impressed by this fact, I wouldnt have watched it eiither way, it is in poor taste!

Way to go for your city. Did they mention why they wouldn't?

Freckles
11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Just learned Fox will NOT air the broadcast or release the book!!! :D
Too many locals were not planning to air the broadcast, including Portland Fox Channel 12..

momoffuzzyfaces
11-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Just learned Fox will NOT air the broadcast or release the book!!! :D
Too many locals were not planning to air the broadcast, including Portland Fox Channel 12..
Yes, I heard that too!!! I'm so glad that the book won't be published either!!! I guess there were tons of emails protesting so the Fox Channel got the message!!! Finally someone is listening to the people!!!

Pam
11-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Finally someone is listening to the people!!!

Thank goodness for that! I hope the trend continues!

lizbud
11-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Sanity returns. :)

O.J. Simpson book, TV show canceled
POSTED: 5:34 p.m. EST, November 20, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and television special "If I Did It."

"I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that his has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned -- like the Fox network -- by News Corp.

In the projects, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife, Nicole, and her friend Goldman. (Watch Simpson's spiritual counselor and prosecutor discuss his possible motives for book -- 8:08)

Relatives of the victims have lashed out at the now scuttled publication and broadcast plans.

"He destroyed my son and took from my family Ron's future and life. And for that I'll hate him always and find him despicable," Fred Goldman told ABC last week.

The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying "Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt."

One of the nation's largest bookstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own television drama. The former football star, announcer and actor was later found liable for the deaths in a lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Judith Regan, publisher of "If I Did It," said she considered the book to be Simpson's confession. (Watch how Regan defended her interview -- 3:48)

The television special was to air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of "American Idol" and "24."

The closest precedent for such an about-face came when CBS yanked a miniseries about Ronald Reagan from its schedule in 2003 when complaints were raised about its accuracy. The Reagan series was seen on its sister premium-cable channel, Showtime, instead.

One station manager who had said he wasn't airing the special said he was concerned that whether or not Simpson was guilty, he'd still be profiting from murders.

"I have my own moral compass and this was easy," said Bill Lamb, general manager of WDRB in Louisville.

For the publishing industry, the cancellation of "If I Did It" was an astonishing end to a story like no other. Numerous books have been withdrawn over the years because of possible plagiarism, most recently Kaavya Viswanathan's "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life," but a book's removal simply for objectionable content is virtually unheard of.

Sales had been strong, but not sensational. "If I Did It" cracked the top 20 of Amazon.com last weekend, but by Monday afternoon, at the time its cancellation had been announced, the book had fallen to No. 51.

cyber-sibes
11-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Chalk one up for us!
:rolleyes: The Simpson fiasco is yet another example of how misguided & out of touch with average people the journalists, publishers, (like Nancy Reagan), and producers are. At least people with common sense & moral decency expressed enough outrage to close this down. It was bad enough seeing his face all over the news the past week.

cali
11-20-2006, 07:07 PM
my newspaper has also been getting pretty sleazy too(first a front page picture of a 9 year old girls shoe laying on the highway after she was hit by a car and killed, then a front page picture of an elderly women pinned beneath the car that killed her) the media is rasching a whole new level of sleaze in general I think :(

Logan
11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=242559&GT1=7703

slick
11-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Logan: I just heard that on my local news and I jumped for joy and I really feel for the families involved.

lvpets2002
11-21-2006, 09:03 AM
:) Hurray Heard Last Night They Cancelled the Show & Distroyed The Book.. But will OJ still get some of the 3 million of the Contract?? :mad: I sure hope not..

Luvin Labs
11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=242559&GT1=7703

thank GOODNESS, I smiled when I heard that on the radio today.

what the heck was that station thinking??????????????????

shoot, he hasn't even paid Nicole's family the money they won from the civil suit, they were going to go after the money he gets from the tv show and the book.

why can't they legally get money from his career/house? You'd think they could get a lien on his house or something till the creep pays up. I swear its because he's a celebrity.

bleh