PDA

View Full Version : Over Protective!!

pyrlab
05-11-2001, 11:52 AM
I have a Great Pyreneese/Golden Retriever mix. We adopted her from a shelter at 6mo's old. She is now about 2 years old. Her first family moved away and left her behind in the house! So the animal control people took her to the pound. These days she barks at anyone and everyone that she doesn't know, and although we have had the same neighbors for the last 6 months, it's quite obvious that she has some distaste for them! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif When people come over that she doesn't know, she goes nuts. A few weekends ago, a friend of ours went in the backyard, and I knew it wasn't a good move...I don't know if my dog picked up on my feelings. She sniffed our friends hand, but i could tell she wasn't very sure of herself. She went back to eating her dinner, and our friend talked with us a while. When he turned to go back inside, our dog lunged at him and bite him. I have no idea why she responds this way. At Christmas we went on a walk with the extended family, and another dog knocked over my 2 year old niece and she started crying. My dog went racing after this other dog and got a bit aggressive towards it. I really want her to be a people person, and her behavior is starting to rub off on our lab too. HELP!! I love her so much, and although we have contemplated giving her away before she does something big to the wrong person, I don't want to give up on her! We have never encouraged her to be a guard dog, and maybe one day that will come in handy...but meanwhile I want to be able to have people over and her know that these people are fine and everything is okey dokey! HELP!

Logan
05-11-2001, 11:58 AM
I think you just have to have a lot of patience in these situations. My Golden Retriever, Honey, has exhibited some of the same behavior, but has never actually bitten anyone. My neighbors, whom she has barked at for almost two years now, have gotten very good about working with her. Frank, who lives next door, will come out to water his flowers, and he will periodically spray a little shower of water over on Honey to either drink or "bathe" in. Now, she loves him, and never barks, unless she is ready for her shower! That just took some time.

And when strangers, especially men, come in my yard, Honey does that circling thing. I NEVER leave her out there alone with them.

She is exhibiting her territorial nature. What you have to do is work with her to make her more comfortable. My trainer suggested that we have some of our male neighbors offer treats to Honey, slowly. She is so much better already.

If you haven't already done it, why don't you consult with your vet first, and try to find an animal behaviorist. If you can't do that, consider obedience school, and if possible do one on one training with someone who can help you with the problem.

Good luck
Logan

Ben E Gas
05-11-2001, 11:59 AM
I had a friend with a dog like this. I only caught glimpses of it when I went over. Whenever they had visitors they had to put the dog outside or in the cellar. He was a golden retreiver.

My uncles dog won't let anyone near it. I went over to him and had to back off. He was a pitbull, rottweiler mix. A big dog, all muscle. He wasn't like that as a puppy.

I really don't have an answer, but you're not alone. It must be because of they way they were treated.

tatsxxx11
05-11-2001, 02:55 PM
My Cody, who was a severely abused rescue, aboslutely will not let anyone into the yard. Especially if it is a man! One foot off my property, and she is FINE! But, she is so protective of me as her "rescuer" and of her "den," that I have to keep her inside or on a leash if anyone enters my yard or house! UGH! But, like Logan suggested, my vet suggested introducing people gradually, under supervision, asking them to allow her to adjust to them by smelling them, seeing me interact with them, and having the visitor give her treats. This has helped a lot. Many people she once feared are now her BEST friends! Unfortunately, with many rescue dogs, their behavior is a product of the abuse they may have suffered in the past. It does take time and patience. And obedience classes, animal behaviorist etc. as Logan suggested is always a good idea. I hope and pray that things will work out for you both. Thank you for trying, and don't give up yet! Hugs to your pup http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

jackiesdaisy1935
05-11-2001, 05:06 PM
We have two Schnauzers, Perry and Daisy. Daisy barks at everything but would not hurt a fly. Perry on the other hand we have to be very careful with, we got him at nine months old from a breeder and not sure what his first months were like. He is very protective of us, we have learned he will not be people, kid or dog friendly. Sometimes when friends come over we put a gate between the living room and he gets used to them being there or we have to put them out on a patio. We did take him for one on one lessons and it didn't do much for him, so we have concluded that we just have to be very careful where we take him, when someone comes over, and when he is out we always have a body haulter and leash on him.
At home with us he is a sweet angel. I think some dogs are prone to be that way, whether it be their background or just their personality.

Sudilar
05-11-2001, 05:35 PM
Hi,
I can tell you about the Great Pyrenees traits that your dog is exhibiting. The barking is common of the Great Pyr. They bark. They are guard dogs and this is the way they announce their presence and that predators should stay away. They think of their families as their flock. When your niece was knocked down, your Pyr considered it a threat to his flock that he must protect. Great Pyrs are good at picking up feelings. If anyone shows fear, they can react. What you must do is study up on the breed and be alpha dog. You must let her know that you are boss. They are an independent breed and you'll have to deal with that. Check out websites on the breed and you will see why she is acting like she is. My Great Pyr, Avalanche, is at Rainbow Bridge now. Good luck. www.greatpyrenees.com (http://www.greatpyrenees.com)
Sue
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=167892&a=6792276&p=48136005&sequence=0

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited May 11, 2001).]

pyrlab
05-14-2001, 10:02 AM
Thanks to you all for you insight! It is really helpful!! I have my father-in-law coming this weekend, and Montana doesn't really know him...I'll be busting out the tricks to make this visit go as smoothly as possible! Thanks again!

pyrlab
05-14-2001, 04:54 PM
What is Rainbow Bridge?

Sudilar
05-14-2001, 07:10 PM
Pyrlab,

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

pyrlab
05-21-2001, 01:01 PM
I had to let you all know..the food idea worked fantastically. My in-laws came to visit this weekend, and Montana was a little unsure and growled a bit until they gave her some left over fries from dinner...Montana instantly fell in love with them and followed them around the house all weekend! Thanks! What a relief that was!

Sudilar
05-21-2001, 01:02 PM
Wonderful!!! Now they have a friend for life!