PDA

View Full Version : Pledge of allegiance in Orange County college

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
I am so pi$$ed off...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061110/us_nm/life_pledge_dc

Some little tubby pimple faced studen, one of three wearing Che Guevara berets and the hammer and sickle of the commie party came out and banned the POA on campus.....

They want freedom of speech, but want to deny it to the other students. :confused:

JenBKR
11-15-2006, 10:34 AM
:mad: That's ridiculous! They want freedom of speech for themselves, but deny it to others. How sad.....

Sevaede
11-15-2006, 10:45 AM
From my understanding, it was a group who voted to do it *within* the confines of their gatherings. I don't see how they could POSSIBLY have the power to dictate such things over the entire school.

Student leaders at a California college have touched off a furor by banning the Pledge of Allegiance at their meetings,

I think it is pretty ridiculous of the people who DON'T agree with the groups decision to purposefully go into the meetings. I mean, really, what kind of sense does that make? It is a group who ALL voted and decided what they wanted to do with their own group/social gathering/whatever. They shouldn't affiliate with something they don't agree with.

It's like going to a rap concert to whine about how much you hate rap.

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Depends....

Are the tickets free?? :D

Ginger's Mom
11-15-2006, 12:22 PM
From my understanding, it was a group who voted to do it *within* the confines of their gatherings. I don't see how they could POSSIBLY have the power to dictate such things over the entire school.

I think it is pretty ridiculous of the people who DON'T agree with the groups decision to purposefully go into the meetings. I mean, really, what kind of sense does that make? It is a group who ALL voted and decided what they wanted to do with their own group/social gathering/whatever. They shouldn't affiliate with something they don't agree with.

:confused: I got the impression it was a student body council. It's not "their" meetings, it is suppose to represent the entire student body. There is nothing wrong to attending a student body meeting at your college. there is also nothing wrong (well there wasn't anything wrong) with expressing your beliefs at those meetings, even if they do not agree with the beliefs of the people who have been elected to the board. It is alright (at least so far) in the United States to become involved in politics and/or political matters even if you do not agree with the party that is presently in power. Or did I misunderstand was this some private club? What are the consquences of defying that ban?

Luvin Labs
11-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Since its not the ENTIRE group wanting to ban it:

The move was led by three recently elected student trustees, who ran for office wearing revolutionary-style berets and said they do not believe in publicly swearing an oath to the American flag and government at their school. One student trustee voted against the measure, which does not apply to other student groups or campus meetings.

I think they SHOULD have the POA said. If it was unanimous to have the pledge banned, then I'd say ban it. But it obviously is not unanimous.

IF you don't want to say the pledge, then don't say it.

IF you are offended by parts of it (under god or other parts), then don't say it.

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Is this the college you will be attending RICHARD? If so, maybe you can run for office of this group and change it?

See, it only applies to the meetings of THIS GROUP. It is a silly way of getting attention...which as I recall is what college students do best. That and getting drunk.

I cannot get excited about a bunch of college students who took a vote and decided to change the procedure by which they open their meetings.

Geez.....

JenBKR
11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
hmm I must have read it wrong the first time, I thought it said they banned it from more than just their group meetings. I'll have to go back and read more carefully.....

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
From the article.....

One student trustee voted against the measure, which does not apply to other student groups or campus meetings.

emphasis mine....

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 04:48 PM
See, it only applies to the meetings of THIS GROUP. It is a silly way of getting attention...which as I recall is what college students do best. That and getting drunk.

I cannot get excited about a bunch of college students who took a vote and decided to change the procedure by which they open their meetings.

Geez.....

I am going back o school in the fall.

I plan on getting drunk.

I always thought the 'student council' was the imitation governing body for the school....doesn't that set (don't they) set the standards for the school?

I have an aversion to Che Guevara and commies.

I seem to remember that some of my tax dollars seep into the college system...I voted too, So I get a voice.

I do not understand how any idiot can follow the rant of the original nuc-lar
idiot.

------------------------------------

The only thing that I take faith in is these are the same unbathed, untrimmed,
radicals who spoke, Peace, make love not war and don't trust anyone over 30..

AHs finally had to grow up to be ACLU lawyers, Heads of Commerce and politicians.

We have enough poop in the pot already.

Start them young and they'll want to ban smoking indoors, represent stupid causes and practice hypocrisy. :eek:

Suki Wingy
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Banning anything at all almost always leads to trouble. If you don't like it, you don't have to stand up and say it!

IRescue452
11-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Why not? They ban lots of things. They banned my right to the pursuit of happiness, along with thousands of other citizens, they banned our way of life and they won't include us in what is considered the bill of general human rights. America excused me as a citizen. Not to mention the ethnocidal extermination act from 1959-1993. Banning the pledge is nothing. It doesn't take away people's rights to live their lives, or even their rights of speech. It just means that you aren't required to say it. When you start having real rights taken away, you come talk to me.

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 07:10 PM
I always thought the 'student council' was the imitation governing body for the school....doesn't that set (don't they) set the standards for the school?

I have an aversion to Che Guevara and commies.

I seem to remember that some of my tax dollars seep into the college system...I voted too, So I get a voice.

RICHARD, RICHARD, RICHARD...where does Che Guevara and commies come into this story? I think your imagination has run amok! There is nothing that says these kids were commies or Che Guevara fans (he was not the only person to wear revolutionary style berets!) Read carefully...doesn't set the standard! They are some overstimulated college students.

We are going to start calling you Joe McCarthy if you keep seeing commies everywhere!

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
RICHARD, RICHARD, RICHARD...where does Che Guevara and commies come into this story? I think your imagination has run amok! There is nothing that says these kids were commies or Che Guevara fans (he was not the only person to wear revolutionary style berets!) Read carefully...doesn't set the standard! They are some overstimulated college students.

We are going to start calling you Joe McCarthy if you keep seeing commies everywhere!

LOL,

Call me Joe Mama, better yet.

I saw a clip with this portly, pimply overweight kid in a red beret and the commentator mentioned that three of the newly elected members were dressed the same way...

I am not going to let you get off easy...

I can't get my browser to open up the sites...

Look for "che guevara, hammer and sickle, pledge of allegiance"

----------------------------------

I expect an apology and an admission that there are communists in Orange County..

By Friday would be nice... :cool: :D

Edwina's Secretary
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
How is it I didn't notice this before?????

I belong to a civic organization and not once...not ONCE...has the pledge of allegiance been recited at a meeting....and last night at Bunco....no one led a recitation of the pledge....

So it is true! Orange County is a bastion of commies, radicals and fellow travelers!

I think the name of it should be changed......to RED COUNTY!!!!

ps...Che wore a black beret...not a red one....as least when I was with him.... ;) ;)

mugsy
11-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Here's my thought...if you dislike the U.S. so much and other countries are so much better, then by all means, use one of your rights and LEAVE! Oy!

I think that if people don't want to say the Pledge, then it's their right (irritating as it is to me), but, don't disallow others' rights to recite it.

IRescue452
11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Mugsy, that arguement is very unprofessional and has no merit. It is based on subjective claims. Its irrational and assumes that everybody born within the political boundaries of this country has the means with which to leave. I would expect these kinds of subjective claims could be surpassed by a social studies student in the third grade. Grow up.

RICHARD
11-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Mugsy, that arguement is very unprofessional and has no merit. It is based on subjective claims. Grow up.

Actually, her arguement isn't about professionalism.

It has to do with love of country, patriotism and freedom of speech.

Being the immature jerk that I am, I really should delete the thread and keep you and everyone else from speaking.....then your freedom of speech will be quelled....

It's basically a bunch of young chumps who, by running for an office that don't mean squat outside the school fences, want their little power trip to rule over their imaginary fiefdom.

INstead of trying to get and give a student body a voice in the running of the school, they have successfully stepped on the beliefs of the majority of the enrolled.

I think Mugs has a point.....Go to Venezuela, Viet Nam or any of the other countries that would welcome you with open arms, until you tried to dog the government or the education system...

You don't know what you have, until someone tries to take it away.

Buena Suerte!

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Whoooosh...that was the sound of the democratic process (and sanity) leaving the room.

Let's not make a big deal over a few college students...who...using the democratic process to decide how they wanted to start a meeting.

You guys are shipping them off to Viet Nam for that????

If our system is so fragile it is threatened by this....we have REALLY big problems.

Meanwhile...relax....I really don't think the absence of the pledge of allegiance at some meeting at some little college is all that big a deal.

But what successes these young men are....they wanted attention and WOW did they get it!

Now...will everyone who never espoused a stupid idea while college age please stand up?

caseysmom
11-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Irrescue has every right to be in disagreement with laws or government, she does not need to move to another country for this. In fact it is her duty to stand up for the change she thinks our country needs.

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Irrescue has every right to be in disagreement with laws or government, she does not need to move to another country for this. In fact it is her duty to stand up for the change she thinks our country needs.

Bravo! Sometimes we hear people who are all for freedom of speech until some "speeches" something they don't like. Then they are told to "go and try that in some country that doesn't have freedom of speech and see if you get away with it!"

As long as they are not shouting fire in a crowded theater......

RICHARD
11-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Now...will everyone who never espoused a stupid idea while college age please stand up?

That means i'll be standing up and sitting down for the next three weeks.

My stupid ideas were exactly that.....my ideas.
I didn't let them impact others and I didn't understand or realize what my place in society, let alone my politics were.

That is one thing that quite a few of the people these days do not realize.

Like the guy who wants "in god we trust" taken off the currency...

By the way......

If you don't like it, move.

There THAT stupid idea didn't hurt any one, and if you were insulted by it..

remember-

This and any other Stupid Ideas are brought to you by the Constitution of the United States.

Or

Sticks and Stones will break my bones-but stupid ideas are eternal. ;)

As long as they are not shouting fire in a crowded theater......

If it's a Madonna or J-lo picture, I highly recommend it.

lizbud
11-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Man :eek: Last time I said the pledge was back in grade school.

Can't believe people would get this upset over it. Private clubs can make
any rule they want & we're free to chose which ones you want to belong
to. The fact that this is a state supported school, does limit what you do
or say.

Edwina's Secretary
11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/web/web_030320-F-9999S-002.jpg

A Combat Controller...wearing a RED BERET...oh my gosh.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Careful what you say RICHARD...about kids in red berets....

RICHARD
11-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Careful what you say RICHARD...about kids in red berets....

"Kids" who wear red berets and command c-17s usually are men...

There is a difference in earning a Beret with a flash, than picking up one at a
surplus store.
;)