PDA

View Full Version : Any common mixed breeds?

Sevaede
11-15-2006, 01:22 AM
Do you ever notice that there seem to be more of certain types of mixed breeds than others?

For example, I have seen a lot of GSD/Husky and GSD/Rott mixes. Also, poodle mixes.

Sophist
11-15-2006, 01:57 AM
In my local shelters, it seems it is mostly lab mixes, pit mixes, or lab/pit mixes... although border collies and aussies mixed with who knows what else aren't too far behind. Some may be bred for because they're pretty or are thought to be combining desireable qualities (i.e., mixing poodle into EVERYTHING to make it a magically hypo-allergenic dog and to be able to create a cutesy name with the word 'poo' in it :rolleyes: ), but a lot of it is just whatever dogs happen to be popular among irresponsible owners in that area.

cloverfdx
11-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Lab/ Poodles being bred. A lot of Lab Xs, Rottie Xs, GSD Xs and small fluffy's in the pounds and rescues all over the country. Shar Pei's are cropping up more and more in pounds lately (Few BYBs 'disposing' of old breeding stock).

lute
11-15-2006, 08:37 AM
at the shelter they have a lot of labx and shephardx. amazingly enough there just as many purebreds as there are mixed breeds at the shelter.

Danegirl2208
11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
lots of husky/aussie mixes here as well as many rottie Xs

borzoimom
11-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Here in our county, we have alot of border collie/lab or hunting dog mixes.

areias
11-15-2006, 09:06 AM
I always said..everything nowadays is either mixed with lab, shep, or pit. We have a lot of lab/pit, lab/shepherd, husky/shepherds. I don't really see a lot of Rottie mixes. Oh, and chow and shar pei mixes.

molucass
11-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't know if this is true or not at other shelters, but I know at the one I volunteered at for over a year, if they couldn't tell what the dog was mixed with, or if they were told and didn't want to put that on their card, they would make something up.

Now, I have a very good eye usually for spotting what some mix breeds are. If I knew, or I looked at them and thought they had this or that in them, I would mark out or white out what they put and put what I thought.
One time a beautiful pit bull/siberian husky mix came in and the owners told us exactly what she was mixed with.. They put on her card "Bulldog/GSD" on there even after the owner wrote down on the turn in papers what she was. I went and changed it..

I worked in the main part of the office where they took in the dogs, and did adoptions and etc... Plus I helped clean the dog and puppy cages.

Whats really sad though, with all the lab/pit mixes in shelters, there is someone in my moms area that is actually breeding their labs with their pit bulls on purpose and calling them lap bulls. :rolleyes:

luvofallhorses
11-15-2006, 09:10 AM
there's a lot of shepherd mixes that come into the shelter where I volunteer. and lab mixes and some rottie mixes. there was a few pit mixes, too.

mruffruff
11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Lab/Chow, Lab/Shepherd and Lab/Pit seems to be the most prevalent at our shelter. Although I have to admit that a lot of them are mislabeled. One that I adopted was supposed to be a Lab/Chow and I see a lot of Belgian Shepherd in her. The young workers don't know a lot about breeds here.

Husky15
11-15-2006, 10:24 AM
Whenever I drive around my town all I see is purebreds [Doberman, Collie, Boston Terriers, Golden Retriever, Rottweiler, Labs] but I'd say from my knowledge the most common mixed breed is the Lab and Shepherd. But then again I don't know too many mixes.

sumbirdy
11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Catahoula mixes are everywhere here.

Ceph
11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a shepherd husky mix who is absolutley the best dog in the world...he looks like a big sheep and he has the most compelling puppy dog eyes ever. He's actually my dad's dog now, but I am hoping to get another when I am older and have room to adopt several dogs.

cyber-sibes
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
There are lots of border collie and lab mixes around here. Where we lived before, there were a lot of rottie mixes. I've noticed people are breeding poodles to everything for those "designer dogs".

critter crazy
11-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Here in our shelters, Lab mixes are most common! And of course my own Duke is a Lab/blodhound mix. They seem to be mixing labs with everything!

tikeyas_mom
11-15-2006, 06:32 PM
lab/shepherd, and alot of poodle mixes.. like labradoodle, goldenoodle, shih poos, and pompoos... etc.

k9krazee
11-15-2006, 06:40 PM
A lot of Lab and Pit mixes in our shelters.

Cincy'sMom
11-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Most common around here is lab mixes...most common in my house, Lab/Dal mix :D

luvofallhorses
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
we've also gotten quite a few catahoula mixes, border collie mixes, and aussie mixes at the shelter where I volunteer.

.sarah
11-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Hounds and Pit Bulls (and their mixes) are extremely, extremely common around here. Hounds because a lot of people in a town nearby hunt with them and dump them when hunting season is over (or so a friend has observed by working down there). Pit Bulls because we have a lot of college students here who get them because they're an intimidating breed and generally they are dumped when they go back home.

Suki Wingy
11-16-2006, 02:31 PM
All around me, shelters just resort to the 3 default breeds if they can't tell, pit bull, lab, shepherd. I also see a lot of chow mixes.

Giselle
11-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Pit Bulls. I volunteer at a city shelter and many of the pit bulls come from neglect cases where the owner just wanted an intimidating dog to protect the area. Chihuahua mixes are also very common.