PDA

View Full Version : What separates the REAL pet lovers from the pet owners....

Toby's my baby
11-14-2006, 09:43 PM
I noticed today in class how different some people in class were then others. I just started my Small Animal Managment 1 class this week, and we were going over statistics. The statistics were on people celebrating their pets birthdays, having parties, giving them presants, and making them a cake, or letting them sleep under the covers with you at night. Well for ME and I'm sure most of you all on here, we are all guilty of this. You should have heard some of the obserd comments in class! "why would someone do that for their CAT?!?" "why would you bake a cake just for you dog, and have a party?" I laughed, and when she had us raise our hand if we were "guily" of this, I was one of the only ones.

Proves just how much some people care, and how others think it's crazy!!

Just thought I'd share. :)

LilacDragon
11-14-2006, 10:14 PM
So - if you treat your pet like a child then you must love it more?

I have a dog and a cat. I have never thrown a party for them, baked them a cake, given them "presents" or let them sleep under the covers with me.

I do, however, vet them, give them quality kibble, make sure that they get plenty of exercise and that they are always safe. My dog is trained. Maybe not quite as well as I would like but better then most of the rest of the dogs that I run into in my neighborhood.

I have to wonder when we stopped treating our pets like pets and started treating them like people. They aren't people. They don't think like people or act like people. I wonder if that is part of the reason that there are so many puppy mills and dogs being euthanized in shelters?

Argranade
11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
That's for the crazy pet lovers for sure lol,

The only thing I do out of those things is let my pets sleep beside me, I have a specail pillow and blanky that I use for my pets when they want to sleep beside me at night lol, I also give my pets presents sometimes ... I always buy them toys and treats for Christmas or just when I feel like it. I don't know when all there B-days are lol I only give my indoor pets toys cause my pigeons realy don't care for them but I'll feed them treats.

I geuss I do spoil my pets weirdly the odd times! :D

chocolatepuppy
11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
My furkids have partys and get presents. :D

animal_rescue
11-14-2006, 10:23 PM
hahaha I agree! I just bought the Three Dog Bakery cookbook and have yet to try it out, I still need to go to the store to get ingredients. But yes everyone's b-days will be set! :D

Danegirl2208
11-14-2006, 10:23 PM
*raises hand* guilty and proud ;)

junescrater716
11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
So - if you treat your pet like a child then you must love it more?

I have a dog and a cat. I have never thrown a party for them, baked them a cake, given them "presents" or let them sleep under the covers with me.

I do, however, vet them, give them quality kibble, make sure that they get plenty of exercise and that they are always safe. My dog is trained. Maybe not quite as well as I would like but better then most of the rest of the dogs that I run into in my neighborhood.

I have to wonder when we stopped treating our pets like pets and started treating them like people. They aren't people. They don't think like people or act like people. I wonder if that is part of the reason that there are so many puppy mills and dogs being euthanized in shelters?

That's not what we're saying at ALL! Some people are different with our pets. On Curly's B-day we feed him half a twinkie, sing him happy birthday, and get him a present or two. He sleeps under the covers with his head on a pillow, and is treated like a human. To us he is my little brother and parent's son. lol I am not kidding I wish I were!!! :D

G535
11-14-2006, 11:47 PM
My cat is my only family, I don't spoil him I just love him. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't even have parties for my own birthday, so I would've been one of the ones who'd of voted no for throwing my dogs a party. They might get an extra cookie for their birthday or a new toy, but very rarely. They don't know it's their birthday, and they get tons of things throughout the entire year. I probably love my dogs jsut as much as anyone else on here though. However, I don't see throwing parties for your pet as absurd like a lot of people do. That being said, I do see what you're getting at.

Sophist
11-15-2006, 02:16 AM
I also find the "what seperates the REAL pet lovers from the pet owners..." title a little bit upsetting. I am not going to chastise you or anything since I trust that you didn't mean for it to be even remotely offensive, but I really and truly do not think birthday cakes and parties are what seperates the lovers from the owners.

borzoimom
11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
(raises hand...) We also celebrate wins at shows..

jackmilliesmom
11-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Jack and Millie have just had a joint birthday we got Jack this time 2 years ago and got Millie this time last year so they both had a joint birthday celebration got a new cushion each and some toys as presents had a birthday cake and some chocolate buttons for their party and had snowie my parents-in-law's dog down for the day and we played with them all day. They also had some roast beef, potatoes, veg and gravy for their dinner (not that that is unusual - they get whatever we get most days anyway and love it....)

They also have breakfast with us and for that they have tea and toast with butter during the day they have some dried food at night they have what we are having..... all in small amounts though

Sorry I must now be considered one of the crazy ones - but I don't care I love them dearly and so does my husband my signature picture is not always normal though this happened one evening when I turned my back to put away some items from the table and the two of them hopped up to lick the plates clean they got scolded but not before taking the picture because it looked so cute

Pawsitive Thinking
11-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't throw parties for my pets but I do get them special food to mark their supposed birthdays.

Like LilacDragon mine are well looked after and loved but I try not to anthropomorphise them - doesn't mean I don't love them to bits though just because I don't dress them up and things

BC_MoM
11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
That's funny. :)

But I don't agree that just because someone doesn't (or wouldn't) make a cake for their dog or cat, that they aren't a "REAL pet lover".

Karen
11-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Miss Hoppy would not eat cake!

RICHARD
11-15-2006, 09:28 AM
People don't let thier cats lick the salt off the fresh french fries? :confused: :confused:

Blue_Frog
11-15-2006, 09:39 AM
People don't let thier cats lick the salt off the fresh french fries? :confused: :confused:
Yours does that too? :D

Hobbes has been known to sneak the table when no one's looking and steal french fries (he has a particular liking for Mcdeath fries, but since i'm not eating there anymore, hes been rather put out) :)

Queen of Poop
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Guilty, guilty, guilty. We have cake, sing happy birthday, have presents. Just like for the people. Over the top?? Maybe. But it makes me happy.

Sevaede
11-15-2006, 10:43 AM
My cats are not picky and would prefer that I don't do anything! :confused: This upsets me a great deal but I suppose that I shall live with what they would prefer to have. (AHH! Preposition!)

I am sure Spanky will be absolutely *thrilled* when I bake her a cake, bake her some treats, etc etc. I mean, it's her special day, why not?

I feel that they are just as deserving of everything that I have as I am. I work, they give me unconditional love, it's really a win-win situation for all involved. :D

gini
11-15-2006, 11:15 AM
I found myself thinking about this thread, so I came back to it to post.

Yes, I celebrate my pet's special events - their birthdays - the holidays.
No, they don't come running out on Christmas morning saying "what did Santa bring me?" I usually have to lure them to their stockings with the enticing new catnip toy or treats.

Yes, they sleep on my bed - there isn't anything quite like waking up to a very warm kitty snuggled at your back or your side.

Why do I do this? - They don't know it is Christmas or their birthday - but it is my way of honoring them with special attention as a thank you for all that they give me every day - all year long. All three of my kitties are very loving - and I always feel as though I am getting back so much more than I give to them.

popcornbird
11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
You know what? I don't believe people throwing parties for their pets, buying them presents, singing 'happy birthday' to them are doing anything special for their PETS. Why? Because the pet doesn't understand. The human does. :D It doesn't make the pet happy. Pets don't know when its their birthday, nor do they care. All they know is "Yippee...I got a special treat! Yum!" The owners are not doing it to make their pet happy, even though they may believe that. In reality, doing these little 'spoiling things' for the pet is making the pet's humans happy. People do it for 'their' happiness. The pet would get happy if it got an extra treat on any day. Its similar to someone giving a 3 month old a lovely gift. The baby doesn't understand, but it makes the parents happy.

I don't do any of those things for my pets. My pets are birds, and thus, cannot sleep on my bed. I am too scared of rolling on them at night...however, if I had a cat, I would allow it to sleep in the bed with me. I would not do any of the other things listed. Does that mean I don't love my pets? Absolutely not! I buy them treats and toys whenever I feel like it. It doesn't have to be on a particular day. They don't need a party...that would upset them, not make them happy. I just find doing some things for pets ridiculous. Why do animals need to wear costumes, or get 10 toys every birthday? These things make their owners happy. I doubt there's any animal out there who ENJOYS dressing up. It makes their owners happy, so they do it for their happiness. Animals are animals. They are not children. They will never be children. And even though we love them like babies, (I do too), the fact is, they're not. They're our beloved pets, and should be treated that way. Likewise, a child should not be treated like a pet. :eek:

elizabethann
11-15-2006, 11:33 AM
You mean to tell me Fenway, Maxie & Cosmo are not little people in fur coats?! :eek:

I buy my pets presents, give them special treats and let them sleep with me because it makes me happy. And in return, I get unconditional love (and a very warm & cozy bed). :)

Argranade
11-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Miss Hoppy would not eat cake!
Meadow would only eat cake made out of carrots, lettuce, kibbles and bun bun treats ... altho he will try to grab my candy bars :rolleyes: I never made him a cake or any of my pets a cake before.

Besides I'm not good at baking lol! I burnt my soup yesterday! :o

I don't think giving your pet cake's,clothes or even a birthday party makes you a better pet lover, it just makes you a more crazy pet lover and you consider pets 'Humans'. :D

Kfamr
11-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry to burst anyone's "bubble" but MY ANIMALS ARE MY CHILDREN. They are my babies and I WILL treat them as such, NO ONE needs to call it ridiculous.

You better bet it makes Kiara excited and happy to dress up. Simba and Nala, not so much which is why I don't do it to them often. Each furkid is different. You may speak for your pets specifically, on what makes them happy, but you do not know everyone else's pets or their personailities/likes/dislikes.

Maybe not other pets, but dogs do realize the difference in days. They know when it's a special day by our actions in the past. Sure, maybe their first party/celebration may be confusing. However, they begin to relate objects to different celebrations. Just like when a box comes in the mail - it makes them incredibly excited and YES, it makes them happy. It is very easy to tell when a dog is happy over something or has no general emotion over something. It's become such a routine over the years, they know what's going on, and their emotions are happy.

They DO understand. They may no understand "Hey, it's my birthday!" but they certainly understand that something special is going on and they are happy.

shais_mom
11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I apologize first off that I didn't read the beginning of the thread - will do that later- I looked at popcornbirds post and kay's post and I was inspired to post. I don't dress my dog up, unless you count a bandana as dressing up. I don't give my pets parties. I might give them an extra treat on their birthday. If I forget it isn't the end of their world.
My pets are my children. Just b/c I don't have human children doesn't make me less of a person. Less of a woman, less of a human. Do I get offended when people imply these things? you betcha.

You know what? I don't believe people throwing parties for their pets, buying them presents, singing 'happy birthday' to them are doing anything special for their PETS. Why? Because the pet doesn't understand. The human does. :D It doesn't make the pet happy. Pets don't know when its their birthday, nor do they care. All they know is "Yippee...I got a special treat! Yum!" The owners are not doing it to make their pet happy, even though they may believe that. In reality, doing these little 'spoiling things' for the pet is making the pet's humans happy. People do it for 'their' happiness. The pet would get happy if it got an extra treat on any day. Its similar to someone giving a 3 month old a lovely gift. The baby doesn't understand, but it makes the parents happy.

I don't do any of those things for my pets. My pets are birds, and thus, cannot sleep on my bed. I am too scared of rolling on them at night...however, if I had a cat, I would allow it to sleep in the bed with me. I would not do any of the other things listed. Does that mean I don't love my pets? Absolutely not! I buy them treats and toys whenever I feel like it. It doesn't have to be on a particular day. They don't need a party...that would upset them, not make them happy. I just find doing some things for pets ridiculous. Why do animals need to wear costumes, or get 10 toys every birthday? These things make their owners happy. I doubt there's any animal out there who ENJOYS dressing up. It makes their owners happy, so they do it for their happiness. Animals are animals. They are not children. They will never be children. And even though we love them like babies, (I do too), the fact is, they're not. They're our beloved pets, and should be treated that way. Likewise, a child should not be treated like a pet. :eek:

If I wanted to have a party for my cats and dog so be it but to call it ridiculous is just plain rude. That said on the dog whisperer a couple weeks ago even I rolled my eyes over the lady whose name was Kitten and her dog that was dyed PINK named Kisses. now That is going a bit far!

critter crazy
11-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I dont think it is wrong to treat your pet as your children, nor does it seem odd to make them a cake or buy presents! But that does not mean, that because I dont, it makes me a "non pet Lover"! My cat sleeps on my bed, but my dog dosent, I buy a present for each animal at christmas, but do not bake cakes for birthdays. Does that just make me a pet owner, and not a pet lover?? I think not! I love my animals very much, and they are my life, but I do not go to the extreme.

The only reason a dog or cat would get excited by their special day, is because we are excited and feed off of our emotions. I think a great pet owner makes everday special, and not just one. That is just how I feel.

Husky15
11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't see anything wrong with baking a cake and celebrating on your dog's birthday or other events. I've never baked a cake for my dog or cats, but I would! And Kay you are right, the dog does know and you can tell what emotion they feel.

And also, Belle, CC, and Bobo all sleep on the bed with us and Belle and Bobo sleep under the covers and like to cuddle up to us [CC doesn't like to sleep under covers or cuddle, but he always sleeps at the end of my bed and sometimes between my legs on top of the covers] and I just love having a furkid to cuddle up to!

Haha! Bobo doesn't lick the salt off, but he'll come up to us and steal a fry right off our plate!

Pembroke_Corgi
11-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Just like when a box comes in the mail - it makes them incredibly excited and YES, it makes them happy.
I have to agree, animals can learn what certain things like this mean...Marta can recognize dog toys from other purchases. When I bring home shopping bags, and I put them on the floor she will of course sniff through them, and if I happen to get them a toy she will take it out of the bag. She's learned that anything fluffy or squeaky is for them. They've also learned to get excited when they see a plastic bag, as it might mean they have something good in store for them.

I do get my pets gifts for their birthdays and Christmas. They may not realize the significance of the date, but they do know when something is happening and getting toys and treats and it makes them happy. Sure, giving them gifts makes me happy, but it makes them happy, too.

mruffruff
11-15-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't celebrate my pets birthdays or give them gifts for holidays. I don't know when their birthdays are and "they ain't talking".

I celebrate every day with them by being the best caretaker I can be. They are my family.

Baking cakes and buying gifts for our pets is more for us than the pet. But if that's what you want to do, DO IT! It doesn't mean you love your pets more than I do mine. We just express it in different ways.

wolf_Q
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Those of you who don't think pets enjoy getting presents, etc. please come over and watch Nebo unwrap his Christmas presents. He LOVES it, he gets so excited when he just sees the box...he knows that it is for him. If I was celebrating his birthday just to make me happy, then I'd buy myself presents. ;) No, he doesn't know its his birthday, but he enjoys it anyway! I guess I will think twice about posting photos of him with his gifts next time since some people on here apparently find it ridiculous.

cali
11-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Guilty.. lol though I am also guilty of forgeting my babys B-days lately, since I started working and my moms job is shutting down I have been the one who has to pay the bills, buy the grocerys, gas up the van(never mind that I dont drive lol) etc.. I get so busy trying to figer out how I am going to pay all this on minimum wage that I barly notice the days anymore, as a result I have been barly remebering my babys b-days :( , some I remeber some just slip, or I remeber as I am heading to bed and I dont have the time bake them anything, so all they end up getting is a "Happy Birthday" and a pat... my babys are still spoiled though:

off leash runs in open feilds
regular grooming
cuddles
sleep on my bed under my covers
huge cages for the small creatures
big baskets full of toys for both dogs and critters
the critters get the best food plus veggies and treats
the dogs get home prepared raw

well they are waaayyyyy more spoiled then random pet owners spoil their pets lol

Sevaede
11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Sorry to burst anyone's "bubble" but MY ANIMALS ARE MY CHILDREN. They are my babies and I WILL treat them as such, NO ONE needs to call it ridiculous.

You better bet it makes Kiara excited and happy to dress up. Simba and Nala, not so much which is why I don't do it to them often. Each furkid is different. You may speak for your pets specifically, on what makes them happy, but you do not know everyone else's pets or their personailities/likes/dislikes.

Maybe not other pets, but dogs do realize the difference in days. They know when it's a special day by our actions in the past. Sure, maybe their first party/celebration may be confusing. However, they begin to relate objects to different celebrations. Just like when a box comes in the mail - it makes them incredibly excited and YES, it makes them happy. It is very easy to tell when a dog is happy over something or has no general emotion over something. It's become such a routine over the years, they know what's going on, and their emotions are happy.

They DO understand. They may no understand "Hey, it's my birthday!" but they certainly understand that something special is going on and they are happy.

I agree. My furkids are living, breathing, creatures with personalities. They are not robots programmed to not know certain things, etc. And yes, for me, animals are up on an equal pedestal with humans.

They recognize that the day is special for one reason or another.

My cats and dog, also, ARE able to and DO distinguish from what is theirs and everything else.

sandragonfly
11-15-2006, 06:49 PM
ridiculous?? good gracious..sigh.

there's absolutely nothing wrong with me wanting to celebrating a day with my dear fuzzbutts! not just because they make me happy, everytime I look at them, and I see they think they are in heaven! look here (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=115462) please, god prays for me if anybody tells me he doesn't look happy. :(

I allow my cats on my bed, they're loving human-cats, they can't live without affectionate. and by law, my service dog cannot sleep on bed with me - here, you really can't judge me I don't love my golden dog! or "as much as I love my cats..."

the other day, my each and every cat deserves a special day as every and each of us do too - better than doing nothing fun and eat same dull raw diet daily, I make them cat/dog-mix brownies, a feast for everyone - goodness, there's nothing better than a cozy-home full of evlated tails, wild hide-n-seek & thundering curve-turn games and a ship of purring motorhearts! see this (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=99345), I'll bet you those kodak moments will make your heart smile.

I remember the other day, it was near around my cat, clayton's third birthday, I noticed my ark needed a new bed they've worn it out in years! so I went out and got a new bed -- not just for him but he shares it with everybody. ;)

...just one of those days' good time we every one thank them gratefully different way, and also to get them something new stuff so they don't live with holes, disfunction squeakies or broken bells!

chocolatepuppy
11-15-2006, 08:18 PM

My 'pets' understand they are having fun at these *ridiculous* partys. ;) My 'pets' are my children. It doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about that. ;) If you don't think it makes my 'pets' happy to have a party, you may come to the next party and see for yourself. They sure don't seem 'upset' to me. :confused:
As for the question, who loves their pet more? I don't believe you have to have partys and buy them presents to love them. But it is what I chose to do.

luvofallhorses
11-15-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm with you, Kay. My pets ARE my children, too and that's how I treat them. and they are always excited to get stuff and I make their special days special. they even get excited to get Christmas presents. :)

and

It doesn't make the pet happy.

it makes mine happy!! :D

.sarah
11-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Yesterday I bought a bed for Nova because the crate she stays in while we are gone doesn't have one -- it was ruined a month or two ago and there has only been a sheet in the crate. She watched carefully while I took the bed out of the bag it was in, and when I plopped it on the floor, her eyes got wide and she started wagging her tail real fast and looked back at me with a huge smile as if she was saying thank you. So, I do believe my pets understand these things, and I don't find it rediculous to celebrate birthdays, Christmas, etc. It makes them happy to recieve new toys, and it makes me happy to see them happy.

I bake them a cake for their birthday, they enjoy it.

I give them some of our food on Thanksgiving, and they enjoy that too.

On Christmas they get a bunch of new toys that they probably didn't need anyway, considering we already have basket fulls around the house. But, they enjoy it, and that's what I want.

I don't think that's rediculous :confused: Who cares if they don't know why we're doing it? Besides doing what I do every day by caring for them, these little presents and celebrations are the only way I know how to repay them for the never ending amount of love they provide.

Aspen and Misty
11-15-2006, 10:33 PM
am guilty as they come.

I have to agree with kay. My dogs are my kids. Konnor has a bear from Build a Bear that says "I love you" when you squeeze it's paws. When I come home from work with a bag they know it's for them and they wag there tails. I will take the toys out of the bag and they are SO exited. We have so much fun. I think my dog's get just as exited with new toys as a child would. They fight over them, play with them, and for the next week or two there new toy is there favorite.

And Konnor opens his own presents on Christmas, he LOVES that one day a year he is allowed to shred paper and through it all over the living room. Do I believe that he enjoys this? Yes. Am I crazy or ridiculous? Nope. I'm just a mom who loves her kids.

Ashley

shais_mom
11-15-2006, 11:49 PM
welcome to 2006.
the pet industry has become a BOOMING business over the last several years. Like or agree with it or not it is the precedent now.
If someone does throw their dog a party doesn't mean they love their dog more than I do. And just b/c I don't throw them a party doesn't mean I love my dog more then they do.

gini
11-15-2006, 11:58 PM
When my very first kitty, Sugar, turned 16 - I had a sweet 16 birthday party for him.

I think my guests had more fun than he did - they brought a tuna cake, candles, tons of gifts, toys and made such a fuss over him. Sure they gave me a bad time - but they were having a great time, because they had never been invited to a birthday party for a cat before and they loved the excuse.

Sugar was a heart kitty...........my very first...........and he was so well loved.

wolfsoul
11-16-2006, 12:42 AM
I don't throw parties for my pets -- they get so much as it is, I could never think of something to add on to that. I do let them sleep with me though.

K9karen
11-16-2006, 01:21 AM
*Sigh* Ok, I don't bake cakes for Mz Klo's birthdays, because #1, I'm too lazy, and #2, I treat her like it's B-day every day. I should just glue my lips and hands to her. Nose and lip kisses are cool with me. Heck, I wash her face and wipe her sleepy eyes, sniff her yummy frito feet.
She's first in my heart. After RB Cody, I never thought I could love this deeply again.

Sevaede
11-16-2006, 01:58 AM
*Sigh* Ok, I don't bake cakes for Mz Klo's birthdays, because #1, I'm too lazy, and #2, I treat her like it's B-day every day. I should just glue my lips and hands to her. Nose and lip kisses are cool with me. Heck, I wash her face and wipe her sleepy eyes, sniff her yummy frito feet.
She's first in my heart. After RB Cody, I never thought I could love this deeply again.

So, I'm not crazy? My pups feet really do smell like corn chips? :D :eek: :o

Blue_Frog
11-16-2006, 08:37 AM
I really don't see a problem with people throwing a party for their pets - its' entirely up to them :)

I guess for everyone saying that the pets' don't understand what the party is about, well ... i figure the thought process of a dog is about the same as a 2 year old - i wouldn't expect a 2 year old kid to understand that its their birthday either, only that they're getting to be the centre of attention, and treats and food. I know I don't remember my second birthday, but i'm sure my mom does.

So, a pet party, while making your pet happy with extra attention and treats, is likely more for the pet parents than the pet itself. Plus, you can get some really cute pictures of your pet in a party hat ;)

moosmom
11-16-2006, 11:37 AM
A pet LOVER is someone who would go without just so their pets don't have to. A pet OWNER is someone who owns a pet for bragging rights, and considers it a possession.

JenBKR
11-16-2006, 03:40 PM
My pets are my kids also, and when I have kids I don't intend on loving my pets any less. I don't think you need to throw parties for your pets or anything like that to love them, but there's nothing wrong with doing it. And as for the parties, dressing up, and special food not making a pet happy.....don't quite understand that argument. Ever had a dog? Just the extra attention it would take to dress them up thrills them to pieces! :D

MajesticCollies
11-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Does sleeping on your pillow after the dog drooled on it count. Then I'm guilty as a pet lover!

GreyhoundGirl
11-16-2006, 04:05 PM
:( If this is anything to go by, I guess I'm not an animal lover.

kimlovescats
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
I don't think it is fair to say that parties or gift giving makes one a better or worse pet lover / owner.

To me the difference is that a pet "owner" simply throws food and water in the direction of the animal, and doesn't give it attention, or health care! :(

A pet LOVER provides for ALL of the animals needs ... food, shelter, health care, exercise and ATTENTION!!! ;)

dogzr#1
11-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I may not bake my dogs a cake on their birthday or throw them a party, heck, I didn't even celebrate MY birthday! But, I still give them an extra treat and buy them a toy or something. Is it ridiculous to throw them a party etc.? A bit, but I'm sure if I had the resources I would do it too!

On the note of dressing up and getting presents etc., my dogs don't really like to do either. I sometimes dress them up with my clothes just because I think they look cute. They don't seemed to thrilled at it, and that's why I only leave the clothes on for a couple minutes, just enough time to take a couple pictures.
They don't like to open presents much either. We would always give them a present on Christmas but they would always need some help to get it opened first. If we got to Petsmart or something and come back with toys for them, you betcha they get excited! They somehow know it's for them and can tell the difference between regular groceries that we buy.

But, if that's the way you can tell if you are a pet lover...them I'm not one. :rolleyes:

vinjashira
11-16-2006, 06:07 PM
But, if that's the way you can tell if you are a pet lover...them I'm not one. :rolleyes:
I respectfully disagree :)

I know people throw parties, buy presents, etc because they love their pets and that is fine but it's not what seperates Pet Lovers from Pet Owners.

popcornbird
11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Its kind of funny how so many of you interpreted my post and responded in a not-so-nice way, after knowing me for the past 4-5 years, and knowing how much I love animals.

I did not say throwing parties for pets is ridiculous. I said SOME things people do for pets is ridiculous. What I mean by that is, too much of anything is good for nothing. I also like to get my pets special treats and toys on special days, but I do it more for my happiness (meaning, my happiness to do it on that particular day). Of course it makes them happy to have special treats, and to have new toys to play with, but again, they don't know the occasion, or why that day is special. They just know they're being pampered on that day. The special treats, toys, attention makes the pet happy, but doing it on that 'particular day' makes the human happy. THAT is what I meant.

If I had a cat, our bed would be its bed too. Both my husband and I love sleeping with cats. I'm not into throwing parties for animals. Who would I invite. 'Their' friends? :p Birds don't get happy when there are too many people over. Many cats get upset with lots of guests too. Dogs? I don't have a dog, but I know they do love attention. Most of my post was referring to what I would, or wouldn't do for my pets. My pets are not dogs. They don't like things dogs would like.

As to pets being children, if you had all read my post more clearly, I said that we like to treat them as babies, and added that I do too. I tell everyone my pets are my babies. I was speaking of reality though. When I have my first child, I will not, by any means, love my pets less. I do, however, draw a line between human children, and pet 'children'. They are different. They're not the same...and no matter what anyone says, they will never be the same. That doesn't mean the lives of animals are less valuable. That just means they are different, have different needs, different wants, different requirements in care. I call my pets my babies, and love them like my babies, but the fact is, when I do have a baby, there will be a big difference between them. A baby is a baby, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, a bird is a bird. Its a shame that anyone would consider a pet owner who doesn't give their pets parties, or bake them cakes, any less of a 'pet lover'. As long as you take an animal in, care for it, feed it, provide it with medical attention as needed, play with it, give it attention, you're doing good to the animal. Doing beyond that is a personal choice. Some things are cute. Other things go beyond necessity. If that's what one likes, then so be it. When I have human children, I will be giving them all the love they deserve, spoiling them, etc., but I won't go beyond the limits, as spoiling a kid too much can result in an overly spoiled child. There's a limit to everything.

That being said, I have the full right to stand by my opinion. I love animals to the point that many people think I'm crazy over them, but I will never go to the extent of comparing them with children. You can't compare apples with oranges.

vinjashira
11-16-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't think it is fair to say that parties or gift giving makes one a better or worse pet lover / owner.

To me the difference is that a pet "owner" simply throws food and water in the direction of the animal, and doesn't give it attention, or health care! :(

A pet LOVER provides for ALL of the animals needs ... food, shelter, health care, exercise and ATTENTION!!! ;)
you said it a lot better - I can not agree with you more

Zippy
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
My pets are my babies.I give them b-day presents and a special dinner but they are spolied all year long but I do love to honor the day they were born andcame into my life and changed it forever for the better.

shais_mom
11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Its kind of funny how so many of you interpreted my post and responded in a not-so-nice way, after knowing me for the past 4-5 years, and knowing how much I love animals.

I did not say throwing parties for pets is ridiculous. I said SOME things people do for pets is ridiculous. What I mean by that is, too much of anything is good for nothing. I also like to get my pets special treats and toys on special days, but I do it more for my happiness (meaning, my happiness to do it on that particular day). Of course it makes them happy to have special treats, and to have new toys to play with, but again, they don't know the occasion, or why that day is special. They just know they're being pampered on that day. The special treats, toys, attention makes the pet happy, but doing it on that 'particular day' makes the human happy. THAT is what I meant.

If I had a cat, our bed would be its bed too. Both my husband and I love sleeping with cats. I'm not into throwing parties for animals. Who would I invite. 'Their' friends? :p Birds don't get happy when there are too many people over. Many cats get upset with lots of guests too. Dogs? I don't have a dog, but I know they do love attention. Most of my post was referring to what I would, or wouldn't do for my pets. My pets are not dogs. They don't like things dogs would like.

As to pets being children, if you had all read my post more clearly, I said that we like to treat them as babies, and added that I do too. I tell everyone my pets are my babies. I was speaking of reality though. When I have my first child, I will not, by any means, love my pets less. I do, however, draw a line between human children, and pet 'children'. They are different. They're not the same...and no matter what anyone says, they will never be the same. That doesn't mean the lives of animals are less valuable. That just means they are different, have different needs, different wants, different requirements in care. I call my pets my babies, and love them like my babies, but the fact is, when I do have a baby, there will be a big difference between them. A baby is a baby, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, a bird is a bird. Its a shame that anyone would consider a pet owner who doesn't give their pets parties, or bake them cakes, any less of a 'pet lover'. As long as you take an animal in, care for it, feed it, provide it with medical attention as needed, play with it, give it attention, you're doing good to the animal. Doing beyond that is a personal choice. Some things are cute. Other things go beyond necessity. If that's what one likes, then so be it. When I have human children, I will be giving them all the love they deserve, spoiling them, etc., but I won't go beyond the limits, as spoiling a kid too much can result in an overly spoiled child. There's a limit to everything.

That being said, I have the full right to stand by my opinion. I love animals to the point that many people think I'm crazy over them, but I will never go to the extent of comparing them with children. You can't compare apples with oranges.
I am quite glad that you clarified yourself Pops- I was worried that getting married had changed you or something like you weren't one of us anymore!! :eek:

For those of you who said - If this is the standard then I am not an animal lover I think you also intepretated it wrong. NO ONE is saying how you love your animals is right or wrong. I consider myself a HUGE animal lover. Do I love birds? Not as pets - I like to look at them yes (eagles, hawks, hummingbirds, cardinals etc) but they just aren't for me. Do I love reptiles and Rodents? No to that also - that doesn't make me a bad person nor less of an animal lover - I don't think.

Twisterdog
11-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I said SOME things people do for pets is ridiculous. What I mean by that is, too much of anything is good for nothing. I also like to get my pets special treats and toys on special days, but I do it more for my happiness (meaning, my happiness to do it on that particular day). Of course it makes them happy to have special treats, and to have new toys to play with, but again, they don't know the occasion, or why that day is special. They just know they're being pampered on that day. The special treats, toys, attention makes the pet happy, but doing it on that 'particular day' makes the human happy. THAT is what I meant.

Well said, Popcornbird. I agree completely. I, too, love my pets very much. But my dog is not my child. It's my dog. My friend, my companion - yes. My child - no.

I think it's just great if someone has the time and money to throw their dog a party. I also think it's just fine if you don't. I have no idea when my dog's birthdays are, nor do I really care. They get treated well 365 days per year. I do well to remember my family's birthdays sometimes!

I think if you like to sleep with your pet, that's great. I also think it is just fine if your pet has its own bed on the floor. Personally, the thought of sleeping in dog hair just completely grosses me. My dogs sleep in their own bed. I prefer to sleep only with my husband, thanks. ;)

So, do I not love my pets? Am I "just a pet owner"? I think not.

k9krazee
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
This thread seriously made me laugh. Nobody should have to justify whether they're 'pet owners' or 'pet lovers'..

Anybody on this forum is obviously a pet lover, why else would you spend time on a pet related site??? :p

caseysmom
11-17-2006, 12:10 AM
PCB, I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this. As long as the pet is cared for and loved we all have different ways of showing our love. I don't think you really meant to call anyone ridiculous. Its hard on internet forums...heck its hard in person sometimes to convey our feelings.

I have seen so many mistreated animals that I am so thankful for anyone who loves and takes care of their animals, and if they want to have a party more power to them.

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-17-2006, 04:16 AM
GUILTY ..... :D :D

My pets get a special meal and treats on their birthday, a new toy, and tons of kissies! Sometimes I organize a "virtual" party : that of course is only fun for ME, but nothing wrong with that, he he :D
I also put a present under the X-mas tree for my cats ;) !

I know, I am catcrazy :p

pitc9
11-17-2006, 08:11 AM
This thread seriously made me laugh. Nobody should have to justify whether their 'pet owners' or 'pet lovers'..

Anybody on this forum is obviously a pet lover, why else would you spend time on a pet related site??? :p

EXACTLY!!!!!!