PDA

View Full Version : New Dangerous Dog Ordinance Here

lizbud
11-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Indy has just passed new city ordinances affecting all Indy dog owners.
These all go into effect Jan 1,2007.

In Focus: Tethering Dogs

Nov 14, 2006 06:23 PM EST

In Focus: Tethering Dogs

By Mary McDermott
News 8 @ 5:00

Part of the dangerous dog ordinance passed Monday night by the City-County Council focuses on the practice of chaining dogs.

Jerry Sparks walks his five-year-old pit bull terrier Slacks every day. At home, Slacks lives inside or out in a fenced-in yard. But not every dog in his near south side neighborhood is so lucky.

"And you see them all the time and they say, 'Well, we don't have a fence.' Well, then don't have a dog," Sparks said.

A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows eight of 10 bites come from male dogs that are chained and have not been neutered. The CDC also says chained dogs are nearly three times more likely to bite than unchained dogs.

The new dangerous dog ordinance in Indianapolis regulates how people may use chains or tethers with their dogs. First, the chain needs to be at least 12 feet long. And it has to have swivels on each end allowing it to rotate as the dog moves around.

"It's easy to tell if a dog's chained up. And if it's chained up all the time," said Leslie Fatum, Indianapolis Animal Shelter administrator.

She's glad the city's new dog ordinance limits the amount of time people can tie up their dogs.

"It really is cruel to tie a dog out for basically its entire life and not socialize it," she said.

"And those are the ones that are more likely to bite because they're not socialized with people. You know, if it's set out there all by itself it's like putting a person out there in solitary confinement," said veterinarian Dr. Phil Borst.

The new ordinance says owners cannot tie their dogs up at all from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. The ordinance also says if an unsterilized dog is on a chain, someone needs to be there to watch the animal.

Sharon Fralick is glad. She says she sees too many dogs chained up all day in her neighborhood.

"Ones that are tied all day long without proper shelter, without proper care and stuff; they tend to get a little more vicious. So I think the law on the tethering and different things are really good," Fralick said.

The city's animal care and control department says it will work with dog owners to help them find alternatives to chaining their dogs for long periods of time. The ordinance passed by the City-County Council Monday night takes effect January 1st.

lizbud
11-14-2006, 06:50 PM
The defination of what a "dangerous dog" is clarified, not by breed, but
by behavior.

Council adopts ordinance on dangerous dogs
After outcry, measure to define and confine changed from breed-specific to behavior-based

By Brendan O'Shaughnessy
[email protected]

Owners of dogs identified as dangerous will face stiffer penalties and tighter restrictions after the City-County Council unanimously passed an animal control ordinance Monday night.

Councilwoman Sherron Franklin first authored the proposal in response to a horrific attack on a Near-Westside toddler in May. She originally wanted a breed-specific ordinance that would target pit bulls and other dogs with reputations for attacking people.
But after a public outcry from many dog owners, council members quickly changed the ordinance to focus on the owners rather than the animals and behavior rather than breed.

Stacey Coleman, president of the Indy Pit Crew, an advocacy group interested in addressing pit bull safety and welfare, said she was pleased with the amended version.
"This is such an important ordinance for the welfare of animals and the safety of citizens," Coleman said. "We feel it's a big improvement that gives animal control officers the tools to be proactive instead of reactive."
The ordinance, which takes effect immediately, defines a dangerous dog as one that attacked a person without provocation, attacked at a place other than its owner's property, or chased or approached a person "in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack."

Dogs that meet the definition will have to be confined in a securely fenced yard or home in a way that prevents them from being a nuisance. Owners will not be allowed to let dangerous dogs go unrestrained in a public place.
The penalties will be $50 for a first violation, $100 for a second and seizure of the animal for a third violation. An owner will not be allowed to own more than two dangerous dogs.

Phil Borst, the GOP minority leader and a veterinarian, said he supported the measure because it would not harm responsible pet owners but would limit bad owners and be enforceable. He noted that it might be necessary to increase the number of animal control employees to properly enforce the new ordinance.

borzoimom
11-14-2006, 06:55 PM
lizbud- here it is criminal for pits- as in if the dog does something, you are charged 'criminal."..

lizbud
11-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Don't think that's right or fair. Here, the bad acts by any breed are
all judged the same. The owner is required to be responsible.

Lady's Human
11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Looks like a politician finally woke up and smelled the coffee. BSL makes absolutely no sense, despite the myths that are somehow perpetuated about certain breeds.

borzoimom
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
I called my insurance company to add my collie and asked just for the heck of it what it would be to have a pit breed- it blew me away! I mean alllllllll 5 are less than the one in insurance. I dont know of anyone that doesnt have insurance on their dogs for liability. ... I have to carry insurance for the therapy work, they pay for it but I have to have it.. And I have bozois for God sake....
Our whole state has almost done this. Not quite the same thing but you get the point.. And we own 18 acres in the middle of no where on a mountain. It is scary to say the least.

borzoimom
11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Looks like a politician finally woke up and smelled the coffee. BSL makes absolutely no sense, despite the myths that are somehow perpetuated about certain breeds.
yea- here they can sue for 500,000 dollars, as well as a criminal warrent for endangerment... Its frightening...

Jadapit
11-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Amen to that! I couldn't have said it better.

lovingpaws
11-14-2006, 10:53 PM
definately an excellant step regarding chaining. It's been a mission and a passion. ie:

http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/home.html

Better than BSL, - AKA canine profiling, at least the your city is aware it doesn't work. It will only make those determined to have a mean dog, find a breed that is supposed to "be more aggresive" and make it/breed them to be that way.

LilacDragon
11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
FYI - Geico is pretty serious about it's exclusion of "dangerous breeds".

A friend of mine tried to get CAR insurance from them and they wouldn't cover her because she has rottweilers. She tried explaining that none of them drive to no avail.

Great job, Indianapolis!! And a huge round of applause to the Indy Pit Crew who's membership helped work out the language and compromises!

cyber-sibes
11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Gosh, finally, laws that sound like they might actually work! It's really a good sign that they are targeting the owners & behavior instead of just condemning a breed.

lovingpaws
11-14-2006, 11:52 PM
FYI - Geico is pretty serious about it's exclusion of "dangerous breeds".

A friend of mine tried to get CAR insurance from them and they wouldn't cover her because she has rottweilers. She tried explaining that none of them drive to no avail. QUOTE]

Well maybe Geigo saw theses photos and ran "scarred"

http://www.funpic.hu/en.picview.php?id=19718&c=4&s=dd&p=41

http://www.funpic.hu/en.picview.php?id=22601

http://www.funpic.hu/en.picview.php?id=17767

Maybe we should Boycott them & tell them why

[QUOTE]Great job, Indianapolis!! And a huge round of applause to the Indy Pit Crew who's membership helped work out the language and compromises!

Very cool :cool: Now everyone keep eyes & ears open & soon as "even a rumor of BSL comes to your city, join your doggie/pittie friends and jump on it. It's every dogowners concern :D