PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!vet wants to put down my cat.

cat lover 99
11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Jo-Jo is a male cat, he is 7 months old, primarly an outside cat, 4 days ago I noticed he had blood on his tail, checked him out, did not look really serious, could not find him later that day, I was worried about him, we looked all over, Very early next morn. we found him , he was bleeding alot worse from tail, I called the vet, gave him a bath, to see where he was bleeding, vet said to put pressure on cut and bandage it , did that....said to bring him in next day, I took him to the vet, which I trust and have known for years, took him in and the girl up front set up the surgery for tail amputation,said call later that day to see how he was doing, I left, did not want to but I did, 2 hours later, the vet called and said he examined jo-jo and said he was suffering extensive nerve damage, incontenience, bloody urine, and spinal damage,lots of brusing and he cannot control his bladder, the vet said surgery of cathader sewn in might help,probably not,and asked if I wanted to put him down,that he would not survive,I chose to pick up my cat from the vet, and bring him home, he is very reponsive and was walking all over the house yesterday, following me everywhere,eating really good and drinking alot of water, he has no bladder control he goes pee 4-5 times a day,while he is laying down,or if I hold him,what do you all think?

Pawsitive Thinking
11-14-2006, 10:40 AM
In your position I think I would keep a close eye on Jo-Jo and see if there are any signs of him suffering before making any decision. He is so young and might get some bladder control as he gets older

JenBKR
11-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh how sad, the poor kitty! If I were you I think I would take jo-jo to another vet to get a second opinion. Good luck with whatever you do, keep us updated!

Catty1
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
You can also get 'kitty diapers' or really small human pullups. That would help for a while.

Prayers that Jo Jo gets well soon!

Does he still have his tail???

cat lover 99
11-14-2006, 10:56 AM
the vet did not amputate the tail, because he said jo-jo would not live anyway, but thanks for your prayers and with my help and jo-jo's strong will , I pray he will surive, he is very happy about being inside, and the blood in his pee is hardly there, just alittle. the vet said the tail will fall off on it own.

krazyaboutkatz
11-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I would also get a second opinion about this. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated about him.

Grace
11-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Absolutely get a 2nd opinion.

kimlovescats
11-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm very sorry about JoJo! In the meantime, buy the smallest human baby diapers you can find (pet diapers cost much more)!!! Cut a small hole in one side for his tail to poke through. In his case, you may not need to even do that though. Just be sure to check his diaper several times per day and wipe him with a baby wipe to get the urine and / or feces off of his skin. If urine builds up on his skin for too long, he will get burns. I know because I am doing this with my poodle. She jumped off our bed and injured her spinal cord. After surgery and $3,0000.00 later, she still is paralyzed and incontinent. I wish you the best of luck with your kitten!

Kim

Freedom
11-14-2006, 12:09 PM
definitely check with another vet. Start with discussions over the phone, maybe?

Purr-tender
11-14-2006, 12:42 PM
I am so glad you brought JoJo back home. He is just a baby really, I have 4 that are just a month younger. Getting a second opinion is important. Please be sure and keep us posted!

cat lover 99
11-14-2006, 12:58 PM
I read on the internet that the nerves can take up to 6 months to heal,with that kind of extensive damage, one month to maybe retain bladder control, if not by then, he will be permently incontenent, Thanks for the small diaper idea, I have a couple towels that he lays on, he is very sore and has cuts on tail,will use diapers when he is not so sore, I am waiting to see how he does this week, I will be contacting another vet, then.I am not sure about the tail amputation, luckily he is not peeing all over,usually when there is pressure from laying or me holding him.

Sevaede
11-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I hope, for both your sakes, that this is not what my RB kitty Tier experienced.

Tier was a happy, friendly, wonderful, nine month old kitten. Then, on June 21st of 2005, my husband (then boyfriend) returned to our apartment after work and dropping me off at my parents house. He noticed Tier was dragging his back left foot and thought that maybe he had just stubbed it ( :confused: ). But, when he petted him, Tier SCREAMED.

The next day, I came over and was looking for him. We couldn't find him! I looked behind the fridge and there was my boy. I picked him up and put him on the floor and he was completely unable to move his hind end so it was dragging on the ground. :( I *immediately* called my mom because she is always able to give me (free!) advice and lets me know if I need to take someone in. So she had me check his litterbox - no recent potty breaks (and you could tell because it was a fresh complete change). She had me entice him with some nice stinky wet food, wouldn't touch it, some raw hamburger (Troy was in the middle of making burgers for himself), still wouldn't touch it. Then she gave me a "hmm" and told me that I needed to take him in. So, I lined his carrier with a couple of towels and put my precious boy inside.

We had called the vet and told them we were coming in. So, we got the the vet and we immediately were ushered into the exam room. We got asked questions. The vet thought that because he wasn't peeing, and he couldn't get any out, that he was blocked. Then, he pressed some more and it just came out. He pinched his tail with some hemostats, nothin. We talked some more and decided to have X rays done. The vet said that it could either be a bacterial infection or something else and "We might want to consider putting him to sleep." I couldn't do that to him. Not without knowing what was wrong and that euthanasia was justifiable.

We went home. There were lots of calls between the vets, my parents, and us. We all talked and talked. I decided that I would only send Tier to the RB if it was the best option for him. [I'd just like to say that we took them to Pendleton Veterinary Clinic, our vet, and not the shoddy Riverside Animal Hospital. They are the only two in town]

The next day (the 23rd), we got a call from the vet for us to come in. We looked at the x ray and the vet told us that it wasn't a bacterial infection. Tier had suffered some nerve pinching and damage and spinal damage. He said it was so severe that it was like Tier had broken his back without actually snapping any bones. He said that he had emptied Tiers bladder several times but it would immediately fill back up. The vet had also said that he had taken the hemostats and clamped down on Tiers tail as hard as he possibly could and Tier showed no reaction. So, his tail was dead. So, the vet explained the surgery to us. He said that there was NO guarantee that it would work and it was actually less likely to work, something like forty percent. In the event that it DID work there was still the possibility of recurring problems and limping. He said that we would have had his tail amputated because it would have rotted and fell off. The vet also said that we would have had to help him potty every time, every day, for the rest of his life. He said that Tier would basically be living the life of an old man and he would become depressed and miserable (as he probably wouldnt be able to play either) He said, in short: Tier was in an EXCRUCIATING amount of pain, incontinent, had a broken back, a dead tail, etc, and that if it was *his* cat then he would put him to sleep. He had given Tier a good painkiller so he was pretty content at that moment. He also told us that the surgery was very expensive ($3000 +). I would have done ANYTHING for my boy but the vet and Troy and my mother all reasoned and explained the euthanasia was THE most humane option for him. I had no legs left to stand on.

So, Troy and I stared at each other. I couldn't sign the papers but he did. Then, another tech brought us into "the room" (an area where they hold animals, next to the exam rooms. They were also the dog pound!). She asked us if we wanted to hold him one last time. I didn't do it, I don't know why. Probably my acknowledgement of the looming grief. It was selfish, as I am sure Tier wanted to say good bye. Troy did want to hold him, though, and I petted him. We walked back to the exam room and he put him on the table. I was already crying and pleading. I was petting him while everything was being prepped. The vet was doing the deed and I was practically on the ground, in tears, and because of this the techs started crying and had to leave the room (but not before hugs and "im sorries"). We offered to donate all of his stuff to them but they, instead, sent us home with a list of names of people who were trying to find homes for cats.

Three weeks later, to the day (my birthday!), a little kitten came into our lives. He was on our porch and followed us up the stairs and in the door. He was young, malnourished, injured, and dirty. He could not, and still cannot, meow or purr. His name is Soni (sounds like sunny, for obvious reasons). He is my "husbands cat" (I love Soni but those two have such a bond!). I am still not over my grief and I mourn for Tier every day. I still cannot believe he is gone...

My whole point was that I could relate similarly. If you do not trust what the vet has to say then please get a second opinion. However, I stronlgy urge, and hope, you to make your decision with Jo Jos best interest in mind (even if that includes euthanasia). :( Good luck! *hug*

Edit: I've attached some pics. Tier is the shorthaired one and Soni is the medium haired.

cat lover 99
11-14-2006, 05:06 PM
thank you for your story, I am sorry about your kitten.,I just got off the phone with my boyfriend, who is babysitting jojo today, He did not have to work today...thank goodness, said he is doing great,jojo did not have any nerve damage to his legs, his spine is brusied and very tender, and hopfully keeping his distended bladder emptied...4-5 times on his own, I tried to manualy do it last night, he was very unhappy with me, then I found the wet spots on his towel, he is eating very well, and drinking....no poop yet..still hopfull

Catty1
11-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Give it time...he is young. If he is peeing okay on his own, don't try to force him.

You might want to get some kitten food, which has more nutrition. When you get a second opinion, ask about supplements or something that will help the healing.

Omega 3 oil is supposed to be very good, found in salmon...but check with your vet on this.

Good luck!

hugs (gentle) to JoJo

catmandu
11-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I would get Cat Diapers, and give Jo Jo a few months to see if he will heal.
Vets are not infallible, and this might be a case where Love and TLC can bring that Cat around.
We have added Jo Jo to our Prayers.

Sevaede
11-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Good, good! I am elated to hear that sweet little Jo Jo is doing well! :D

I hope he's making this recovery speedy! :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Please get a second opinion :)

critters
11-15-2006, 05:23 AM
Go to http://handicappedpets.com/help/ . I can't remember if you said you're expressing (and don't have time to reread the thread). You CAN learn; it's not that hard. Buddy, my formerly paralyzed boy and present wonky legged child, can walk, climb, and do anything he wants, although he doesn't jump very well. Diapers bring their own problems and may not be necessary if he's empty. http://www.handicappedpets.com/pics/buddy.htm Cats with Paralysis is a good group to join, although I don't have time to get that link now. Good luck!

cat lover 99
11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
I tried to express him monday night, I had been to the vets twice that day,then I found the urine spots on his towel, he has two towels that he sleeps on, I have not tried to express him since he has been peeing 4-5 times on his towel...lots of laundry...I don't mind....I brought him with me to work today, he has not moved around much today, He seems fine, but different, No blood in his urine, or very little, and he had first bm this morn.thats good , I thought, should I express him even though he is peeing on his towel?

cat lover 99
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
thanks critter for the web site info, it really helped

Catty1
11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't think he needs expressing...what do others here think?

Seems to me 4 - 5 times a day is normal and good!

You might want to use puppy pads for his bed...I think they keep the rest of the bedding from getting wet.

I hope he will be ok. Does he need any painkillers? Have you found a 2nd vet for another opinion?

Go JoJO! :)

cat lover 99
11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
I have not talked to another vet yet, was going to wait till next mon. I am going to the store tonite and look for pads, and put him back on kitten food.

carole
11-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Firstly i want to commend you on what a marvellous job you are doing taking care of your kitty, you obviously are a great pet owner and love him to bits, i too would perhaps get a second opinion, and just make sure he is not suffering ,that's where i would draw the line, if my pet was in pain and there was no hope for improvement i would choose to have it PTS, but is sounds as if your vet may indeed be proved wrong, i sure hope so, do you think he was hit by a car, it sounds a bit like it from the injuries you have described,make sure you keep him inside from nown on and continue with all the loving care you are giving him and i sure hope he makes a full recovery, good on you for giving him hope and taking such brilliant care of him. All the best to you and your kitty.

cat lover 99
11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
JoJo does not seem to be in pain, only when I touch his stomache or around his tail head, to check for swelling and to keep him clean, I was holding him between my hip and arm and the pressure makes him dribble and pee, at first, last sun and mon, then he follows me every where, and jumps on the bed ,the chair . He will be inside for full recovery, how ever long it takes.The vet said he could get blocked with a blood clot, which would kill him, I am thinking that as much as he is peeing he will be ok....hope...hope...I let jojo snuggle with me in bed when my boyfriend is at work...he does not want animals in the bed.....except for emergency....

KitCat
11-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Give him the benefit of time....if your poor kitty is not suffering very much, and you are willing to work with him, see how it works out.

critters
11-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I'd keep on expressing because the pee you see might just be overflow. Give him time and find another vet!

Kirsten
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about little Jo-Jo, and I agree, I would also get a second opinion and try the diapers.

In Germany lives a persian called Luna (not my Luna), she's a recue from Spain, and she has severe spinal damage. (Here's the link, but it's in German: www.luna-cat.de (http://www.luna-cat.de/phpkit/index.php) )

Anyway, this cat cannot walk on her hind legs, but she found a way to "walk". Because she cannot use her litter box, she's wearing diapers, too, and according to her mommy, it's working great. Meanwhile, this website, and also the associated page www.luna-hilfe.de (means "Luna-help") give a lot of infos on special needs-kitties, very encouraging.

I wouldn't give up on Jo-Jo; cats are amazing creatures, and - like Luna - he may find a way to cope with his handicap.

Kirsten

moosmom
11-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I'd get a second opinion. A bell went off when you said that you hardly see any blood in his urine. They sell cat litter that detects blood in the urine. Might want to try that.

Poor sweet baby. I hope he gets well soon!!