PDA

View Full Version : Beans Update

Lizzie
11-13-2006, 08:18 PM
I know that I'm very late in posting this, and I'm sorry that I still haven't had time to take photos, but I thought some of you might want to know how Beans is doing.

He spent a week in an isolation bedroom, really cosy in the lower half of a cedar otttoman chest which I filled with a comforter and throw and then surrounded it with other comforters. We spent lots of time cuddling and getting to know one another. I moved him into the main upstairs area about ten days ago and it's been very interesting watching him acclimate himself to new surroundings and new companions.

He was okay with the smaller, quieter cats right away, but he went into hissing fits whenever Dagda came near him - which he did whenever I tried to pay attention to Beans. Dagda is a huge, black, one-eyed, FIV+ ex-tom who spends most of his time sleeping or asking for attention. He took no notice of Beans' hissing and by the past weekend the hissing was over.

I let out the two male kittens from their secondary isolation for ringworm on Friday evening (they'd been clear for weeks but I wanted to be very sure). The moment they raced into the room, full of joy that their 3 months of isolation was over, Beans literally jumped backward twice. He's got very strong back legs so it was more of a double backward leap. He never hissed at them or looked afraid of them, he was just shocked by their energy I think. By Sunday, he was ready to go nose-to-nose with them and tends to follow them around as though fascinated by their antics.

He doesn't have a companion yet, but he did share one of his folded comforters with Raven (another black FIV+ ex-tom, a social feral). He's also fine now if one of the other cats settles down in his chest near him since he prefers the comforters on the floor.

After weeks of using the litter box faithfully, even when he had diarrhoea (which cleared up when I put him on Avo-Derm dry), he started pooping in the hall last week (before I let out the kittens), and once even by his bed. I have no idea why this happened. When it started to happen last night, I scooped him up and carried him to a litter box and he's been using it since. Ah well! I'm well used to cleaning up this kind of thing. And it's easier than cleaning up after my elderly Ginger who has decided to start peeing on all the sofas, my bed and even a couple of piles of drapes I was about to put up.

As Melissa told me, Beans loves to play and he's very fond of all the toys she gave me to take with him. He tosses them around vigorously, slams them down and then rubs his head over them. I must get some cat-nip this week since I think he'd really like that.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh Lynda, he sounds to be doing great. I know Melissa will be SO HAPPY to hear he is doing well and adjusting just fine. I would love to see pictures whenever you can find the time, and I am glad that we get an update. *hugs* Katie and kitties

doolittleky
11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I am glad Beans is doing so well. I don't understand why he went potty outside the litterbox. He always went in it 100% of the time here but i am glad he hasn't done it anymore. Katie told me you said he was a biter too. that is something he never did here either except the first time I tried to clip his nails and that he never bit down on my hand. I am glad his diarrhea has cleared up and the food is working. How do his ears look? Have you had him to the vet yet? I have had bronchitis the last week and a half and been at home in bed so I am just getting back to work this week. Beans as you found out loves to be in the middle of an acitivity and he can keep up with the best of them. I always loved to see him hop around and completely hop in a complete 380 degree circle when he wanted to. Please tell him I love and miss him and that my babies miss him too and give him a hug and kiss from me.
Melissa

Lizzie
11-13-2006, 08:51 PM
I'd forgotten about the biting. It happened when Dagda was around and, since Dagda always came over for attention whenever I sat on Bean's comforter bed with him, it happened several times. I knew it was because he felt intimidated and it was because he can't reach out to swat. He never hurt me, it was just a surprise. Now that he's used to Dagda, it's stopped.

kimlovescats
11-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm glad Beans is settling in. Is he FIV+ .... I noticed you said he was with two others who are?

krazyaboutkatz
11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the update.:) I'm so glad to hear that Beans is settling into his new home so well. I can't wait to see some recent pictures of him.:)

Reachoutrescue
11-13-2006, 09:57 PM
I am so glad Beans is doing better. I hope his potty issue changes. Good luck and post lots of pictures!!

Lizzie
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm glad Beans is settling in. Is he FIV+ .... I noticed you said he was with two others who are?

No, he's not FIV+, but FIV is only transmittable through a deep bite wound so I let my two older FIV+ boys share space with others, even kittens. Dude doesn't have any teeth left and Dagda is a gentle giant.

Killearn Kitties
11-14-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm so pleased to hear the update, I have been wondering how things were going. Great to hear that the ringworm is on the way out too.

Lizzie
11-14-2006, 02:58 AM
I spoke too soon. The diarrhoea came back with a vengeance tonight after nearly two weeks of normal poop. The kitchen floor, including the leg of the table, the big comforter on the sofa and surrounding carpet, the hall carpet, and the wood floor by the bookcases all got splattered within an hour. I was running from one mess to another. I don't have any isolation bedrooms left since the CH kitten has to stay in secondary isolation for ringworm for another two weeks and I had to isolate Ginger in another bedroom because I can't cover every piece of soft furnishing with plastic. At midnight (and I have to get up at 5am to go to work) I knew I'd have to isolate Beans in the litter room. Now I've got 6 litter boxes lined up in the bathroom, so cramped that I can hardly get to the loo, and Beans has 4 litter boxes to himself and his bed in the litter room. I feel so terribly sorry for Beans because his bum is so sore that it looks bloody. It's off to the vet with him tomorrow morning.

orangemm
11-14-2006, 04:26 AM
Poor Beans, I hope the vet can stop the diarrhea and soothe his poor bottom. Let us know what happens........... :(

CultureJunky
11-14-2006, 04:49 AM
It's nice to hear about beans, I hope he gets better soon and his poop is sorted out. It's so wonderful that he has so much love from people who care about him so deeply.

Catty1
11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Poor baby - prayers for Beans. Hopefully it's just a little bug that can be fixed in no time! HUGS!

Freedom
11-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the updates! I hope you fully recover from the bronchitis; too much activity too soon may bring it on again. And it sounds like you have a very active household!!!

Beans, take care and get well fast little guy!

doolittleky
11-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Lizzie,
That is the way it went with me. His diarrhea would get better and thyen come back. As I told you my vet suggested getting a culture done. She thinks he has IBD. Please let me know what you vet says about Beans. How are his ears doing?
Melissa

Lizzie
11-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Beans checked out fine at the vet, except for his diarrhoea. His temperature is normal and he's not dehydrated. He's there now while they wait for a sample that they can culture. My vet also suggested IBS, certain protein intolerances (the usual that I've been through before) and that he might have another birth defect to do with his digestive system. I'll be calling Michelle at the shelter this afternoon to find out if he had any digestive upsets while with them and what food they gave him.

One problem is that when the tech contacted your vet, they didn't know who they were talking about. It was your vet that gave the health certificate, right? We need to know what treatment he was on previously.

I'm home sick at the moment and need to crash back into bed for some hours before I go back to pick him up. If you can get some information to me before I go back to my vet, that would be helpful.

doolittleky
11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Lizzie, The food Michelle said he was on when I picked him up was Hill Science diet the adult maintenance. I gave him that but when the diarrhea started my vet put him on the Science Diet W/D like what I told you. It got better with that but as you know with IBD they go through bouts of it. I am sorry I hadn't gotten the records to you yet but I got sick and couldn't go pick them up. I plan on doing that this weekend. If your tech wants to call my vet, Dr Joyce was the one that saw Beans the three times I had him there and she can tell your tech was treatment she gave. Or if she can't come to the phone when they call just tell the nurse or receptionist that the recordm ismunder my name and tell them Bean's name and they shoudl be able to tell you the treatment. He was on Fiagyl almost the whole time I had him. He was also on pred a little while when the diarrhea wouldn't get any better. he also got injections for it but can't remember the specific med. I hope that helps.
Melissa

doolittleky
11-14-2006, 03:45 PM
oh I forgot that when he had the touch of URI he was on Baytril too. And for his ears with the yeast he was on Treasderm drops.
Melissa

Lizzie
11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Tresa did get through to someone who was able to give her information but the only thing they faxed her was a list of the drugs he'd been given. They would not fax her notes from the vet. Was any kind of test run on a fecal sample - for giarrdia and such? When you said culture, I assumed it was the kind they have to send away to a lab and that they'd run the usual tests at the vet.

I did have Beans on w/d from the start but, since it didn't seem to help him and I'd had such good results with using AvoDerm on both Dagda and Ashley (both with very mess, stinky stools with blood before the change in diet), I very gradually mixed in the AvoDerm. For two weeks it seemed to work. How long were the period when he didn't have runny stools when he was with you?

Sorry, everyone, I know parts of this could be in a pm to Melissa, but I would appreciate others' input and opinions on what could be causing Bean's outbreaks and what can be done about them. Could it all be down to stress?

catmandu
11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
We have no experience with Cats in that condition although Miquelitos can be pretty wet and stinky.
We pray you Vet can help Beans get over this, as its a pain to have to daily clean and wash everything.

QueenScoopalot
11-14-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm so happy to hear Beans is acclimating better. I'd have scooped that boy up quick if he was on the East Coast, but I think I have enough M*A*S*H Unit cats now. :rolleyes: Does your vet carry "amphoral" by chance? I had a litter of kittens some years back with the worlds worst diarrhea! They had all the routine tests, and meds, and the only thing that worked was the amphoral. Nasty tasting and it has to be given 3 times a day for 3 days. By the second day the babies I had were almost 100% better, and by dose # 9 were good to go. They were covered with poop as was everything else, and it was awful. :( I waited a week or two after meds and they all went off to new homes. I hope precious Beans starts feeling better soon. Have you thought of adding pumpkin to his food to help bind his stools? Plain 100% with no spices etc. Many cats love it. I'm not going to attempt spelling the active cultures that are in yogurt (acido...) but capsules from a health food store will also help Beans replenish the good bacteria being washed out of his intestines. I hope you can get to "the bottom" of Beans problems, and wish you tons of luck. ;)

Lizzie
11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
What do you mean, if he'd been on the East Coast!? He was a lot further east than he was west. :D

I haven't tried anything yet, except to change to AvoDerm and that worked until last night. For a few days he'd been pooping in the front hall instead of going down the hall to the litter room and I thought it was just a behavior matter that I'd have to figure out. Then, late last night, the stuff just came pouring out of him and I knew it was time for a vet. My vet is a big believer in pumpkin but that means switching to wet food and I've kept Beans on dry since I didn't want to make that change also. I'll also pick up some yoghurt which I've used often,usually with success. Actually, his poop isn't that smelly, but it is slimey which indicates inflammation (I think). I really don't need another diet in this household but it looks like I'm going to have to deal with it. The kittens, of course, want anything that isn't theirs and are very aggresive about getting it. I'm out of isolation rooms and the garage is too cold at this time of the year!

I doubt if my vet is going to go with amphoral. He's a big believer in not using drugs of any kind until you know the reason for the illness. Since Beans' problem could be for a multitude of reasons, he'll probably advise food changes first. I am going to push for some med though, since Beans' bum was red raw.

Just got off the phone with my vet. We are going to try the hypo-allergenic diet, antibiotics for anything in his gut, centrine (short-term) to stop the diarrhoea, and a general de-wormer (even though tests don't show any evidence), and his sample has been sent out to a lab. If that doesn't work, we are looking at surgical diagnostic tests.

Jan - do any of your RH cats have intestinal problems? We are wondering if the RH is Beans' only birth defect.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Any undate on Beans? Is he still adjusting well and being good for you? How are his ears looking, and has his diarrhea subsided? Sorry Lizzie, I just had to ask! ;) :p

Lizzie
11-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for asking. First of all, I should let everyone know that I renamed Beans. His name is now Surya. I was afraid that he'd been named for his disability because when he's startled he jumps like a jumping bean. I wanted to name him for his golden eyes and Surya is the Hindu sun god.

Surya overall is doing very well. He wants to play with Darcy and Cattulus, the two 7-month-olds, and moves towards them often. They are very nice to him, they don't smack him when he gets close, but they are so used to playing together and don't know how to include him, so they just dash off. I know that Belle would give him a good head wash if he was able to curl up near her, but he doesn't get really close to any of the other cats except Raven, a very shy but naughty FIV+ boy. They've slept on the same comforter together. When he wants a cuddle on the bed with me, he sits at the side of it and then rears up on his hind legs. The bed is rather high so he can't jump up, though he does jump down (which makes me cringe). I try to keep the others away while I'm cuddling him on the bed but it always ends up with several of them storming forward, Surya growling and snapping and then getting down. It's early days yet. No-one is being mean to him and he's stopped hissing.

I do have a serious problem in that he won't go down the hall to the litter boxes to poop. He goes in the kitchen, under the table, in the front hall, etc. I believe it is because the distance to the boxes is greater than he wants to travel, and with his bowel irritation, he's more likely to need to go a.s.a.p. I'm figuring out what to do. If he enjoyed being in one of the bedrooms that are set up as sitting rooms, as many of the other cats do, then he'd have litter boxes very close by. But he likes being in the large open plan area and I don't want litter boxes by the kitchen. I can't move him downstairs because those cats would be mean to him. I'll probably end up putting litter boxes in the front hall. I can partially screen them with something so it isn't the first thing people see when I open the front door. I've put a pile of empty boxes in the car from our copy center, and I'll ring the kitchen area with them so he can't get in there. Cleaning up very wet poop from the legs of a mahogony pastry table at midnight is not something I want to have to do again.