PDA

View Full Version : Daisy Is Digging Holes In My Yard!!!!

timlewis
11-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Daisy is digging holes all in my back yard i would say there are 5 to 10 of them, does anyone know how to get her to quit digging???????

Husky_mom
11-13-2006, 10:46 AM
are you sure she isnīt a husky??.........LOL...........

sorry, a way to quit it or at least lessen it is LOTSA running!!!........hehe......

unless you want a professional tree-hole gardener........and the holes not being where you want to .........LOL.........

sorry again.........I just got used to a uneven yard, even with running hehe.....

critter crazy
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Sometimes dogs dig out of boredom, and some just do it cause they can. Unfortunately i have to input for you as to correct the problem. My dog digs too, but only out of boredom, if i keep him busy he dosent dig. Lots of toys, walks, playtime should help. I have to say that she must look completely adorable with dirt smaeed all over her face, giving you the most angelic look that she can!:)

BOBS DAD
11-13-2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry Tim,

You are getting NO ADVICE but lots of comraderie...

Bob is a digger too. He digs cause he thinks he hears somethings or smells something. Being part Terrier, I think that is just his nature. I can't stop him - and he gets plenty of exercise.

How old is Daisy? I hear that dogs will sometimes dig less as they mature. That's what I am hoping for!!!

P.S. I love your siggy with the two small children. Are they yours?

Vela
11-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Put some of her poop in the holes=x Yes it sounds gross but often will stop the digging, and dont leave her out unsupervised for a time so you can really correct her when she starts to try. After she stops the digging on a regular basis, fill them in with dirt over the poop. Worked for mine.

BC_MoM
11-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Sounds like boredom. Try filling a tin can with rocks or beads and shake it or throw it near her (not AT her) to startle her whenever she starts to dig.

borzoimom
11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Put some of her poop in the holes=x Yes it sounds gross but often will stop the digging, and dont leave her out unsupervised for a time so you can really correct her when she starts to try. After she stops the digging on a regular basis, fill them in with dirt over the poop. Worked for mine.
EXACTLY! I was just about to say that one Vela!

lvpets2002
11-13-2006, 04:06 PM
:) Well if you could see my backyard you would fell right at home.. My backyard looks like the moon lounier.. I have give up trying & have said I would contract out my girls to grave digging or post hole diggers.. :D

lizbud
11-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I never had a dog who didn't dig. Most all dogs dig at one time or other.
If Daisy is alone outside she's probably bored.Does she have toys around
outside? Believe it or not she will stop on her on as she grows up. She just
has a lot of energy to burn. She needs more exercise. :)

Foxed
11-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I second the whole bored thing. How much is she out in the backyard? If it's a lot you can stuff kongs and give her lots of toys and that may stop it. She probably also needs more exercise.

Giselle
11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Or you could encourage her to dig in a designated area. You have kids. Try getting her to dig in a sandbox :) This works for a lot of dogs, but you have to make sure she's digging only in the sandbox.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I've only ever had one digger, and the sand box idea worked great for her. Besides that, I can't really add anything to what everyone else has said. Good luck. :)

Daisy and Delilah
11-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Sorry about this Tim. My son has two Aussies and his yard looks like a mine field. If you were to walk out there, you'd break your neck. I hope he can get them to stop it soon too. Good luck. Please give Daisy some kisses from us when she stops digging :(

mruffruff
11-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I agree with all of the above. I have an 8 year old who still digs, but now she digs in only a couple of allowed spots.

I had to pave a path to the shed so I wouldn't break my neck in a hole. I also divided my yard into two sections; one for the dogs and one for me.

husky_lover
11-14-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree with everyone here. I have two huskies and my back yard looks like a mine field but I've just got used to it now.

crow_noir
11-14-2006, 11:36 PM
Or you could encourage her to dig in a designated area. You have kids. Try getting her to dig in a sandbox :) This works for a lot of dogs, but you have to make sure she's digging only in the sandbox.

It's a very healthy exercise for them. I never had any desire to stop my dogs from doing something that was so enjoyably natural to them.

My Rat Terrier was the worst culperate. She was another one of those land mine dogs. ...until i taught her to only dig in a designated area. Does your dog know the concept of "Good" and "Bad"? If so this will help tremendously. ...If not, try working on that first. Make an outline with some twine, or LARGE sticks, or some other edging of the area that you wouldn't mind your dog digging in. Dig a small hole or two in that area. Go get your dog and walk them to the area where you want them to go dig. Praise them. Take them back over to one of their naughty holes and scold them a little (Or exclude this phase is you are of the "only praise and reward" camp.) Take them back over to area you want them to go to and praise them. Repeat each part once more for the first time. Took only two days and my Rat Terrier didn't dig in the rest of the yard again (Until the cicadas came... and then she only dug tiny holes to get out the pupae.)

My Shepherd only dug holes in the earth to bed down in (He was an inside dog, but he still enjoyed earthly pleasures.) He had about two spots in the yard. One under some bushes... i didn't mind. The other was on a flower bed next to the house. No matter what i could not train him to stay out of that spot. He never got into any other trouble, so if that was his one sin i think he was doing pretty darn good.

lovingpaws
11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Sandbox or designated area is good. To discourage her from the "non designated area you could try some water balloons - filled - put in one of her favorite digging areas - and lightly cover with dirt - BUT MONITOR HER WHEN SHE'S OUTSIDE (no popping them and chewing/swallowing balloons) The idea is to startle her. On the opposite side for the designated area get some rawhides/bones and put them in holes, cover lightly, Several of them. Idea is she finds rawhides and says "wow there's a cow buried here" :D and sticks to the one area ;)

fragrancehound
11-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I can relate too! I don't really have any advice but my backyard looks like a minefield explosion. I've just learned to live with it.

anna_66
11-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Roxey was a notorious digger when she was a pup and can still dig some pretty good holes. The poop thing worked great for us...that and lots of exercise and training! Keep her busy:) Good luck!