PDA

View Full Version : NO Christmas puppies!

Danegirl2208
11-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Its that time of the year again...please remember that a Puppy or Kitten is for life, NOT just for Christmas!

Great article:

As the holiday season approaches, the hunt for the perfect holiday gift begins. Along with the gift seekers are the purveyors of gifts. Many of these are quite appropriate gifts. Among those are toys, clothing, sporting equipment, and accessories for homes, cars or boats. Then there are the folks trying to sell you a puppy as a present, a totally inappropriate “gift.”

The “breeders” of these potential gift puppies sure do make it appealing though don’t they? “Looking for the perfect present? Nothing is sweeter than a cute, furry, bundle of joy under the tree this Christmas. Make this a Christmas to remember. Pure bred (name your breed) puppies available,” the signs will say.

Why is a puppy inappropriate for a present? Puppies need to have consistency in their lives. Regular feeding times, regular potty-break times, regular times for training. The holiday season is the worst possible time to try to do this. The vast majority of families are NOT on a regular schedule themselves with Christmas pageants, holiday shopping,parties, house guests. How can you expect a puppy to be on a regular schedule?

Puppies are chewers, they are babies, they are teething. Holiday decorations provide an interesting array of items on which they can chew. Most, if not all are hazardous to puppies; some are potentially fatal. Electrical cords for decorations are an electrocution hazard; holiday foods can cause a variety of health problems including vomiting, diarrhea, and inflammations of the pancreas. Chocolate is toxic and can result in everything from irregular heartbeat to death. Ornaments and ribbons including tinsel and angel hair are potential choking hazards, can cause bowel obstructions, and if the ornaments are glass, they can result in external and internal lacerations. Do you really want to deal with veterinary emergencies at what should be a happy, festive time of the year?

You say the kids really, really want a puppy. If that is the case, here is a suggestion. Buy the travel crate, a book on the breed you want, grooming supplies, leashes, collars, food and water bowls, and a book on training your puppy. Wrap those up as the presents under the tree. Wait until AFTER the holidays to get your puppy. Buy from a reputable breeder, one who screens the parents for health problems, one who sells on a contract. Rescue a dog from a shelter after the holidays, talk to purebred breed rescues. Don’t buy from a pet store; they are outlets for puppy mill products.

Sandra A. Dunlap

BC_MoM
11-12-2006, 07:57 PM
There are so many puppies for sale in the newspaper classifieds with headers such as "Making this Christmas Season MAGICAL! Buy a puppy! Ready to go by Christmas.....".... it's absolutely HORRIBLE.

cyber-sibes
11-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I work a few hours a week at our local Mall, and tonight was a huge charity event. My two co-workers & I walked past the pet shop and stopped to look at the puppies. ALL of them were designer breeds with clever names :rolleyes: . My coworkers remarked how they cost as much as purebred dogs, too. And they all looked very unhealthy. Oouzing eyes, runny noses, matted fur, many looked like they had skin problems and were underweight. PT has spoiled me - I know what a healthy puppy is supposed to look like, and I felt so sad for these poorly bred puppies. :( M I'm sure they were bred as "Christmas gift puppies" as it's only a few weeks till Christmas. I wonder how many will end up in shelters by spring? I wonder how many will end up dying due to problems from poor breeding?

Sophist
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
I am a big fan of the "Christmas Puppy basket". My older beagle, Jasper, was 8 weeks old and ready to go a few days before Christmas, and his breeders had made it known from the very beginning that none of these puppies would be sent home until safely after the new year, and offered at no cost to send a basket with a leash and collar of your color choice, a squeeze-toy, a puppy care booklet, lots of photos, food coupons, etc. They ever offered to throw in letters 'from' the puppy or santa or whoever with an message for either Channukah, Christmas, or Kwanzaa. I didn't take them up on it since he was for me, but I like the idea of having at least one more extra step in there preparing kids for a puppy.

Sophist
11-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Forgot... for what it is worth, when I was younger, my mom did something similar when I was trying to talk her in to getting guinea pigs. I had to read the whole book that came with it and pas a little test my mom made from the book before I could start looking for an actual guinea pig. My brother and sister who got similar packages were both very excited and satisfied to get them on Christmas, but lost interest in their desired pets before they reached the end of their books, and just dropped the idea by the middle of January. No doubt, if they had been given the actual animals, they would probably have been 'done' with them by then too, and this way spared the pets from being 'disposable' and my mom from a guilt-trip.

Freedom
11-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Wow, smart mom!!!

borzoimom
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I had a christmas litter once and a lady got rude with me for not letting her have the puppy for the tree. I said uh huh- in the tree, around the tree and eating the tree she will stay here safe and sound. Then she got snotty, and said If I dont have the puppy the deal is off.. I said " have a nice life: and sold the puppy to someone better. I have a life time warrenty on my puppies- I figured she was just flat out rude, and didn't want to deal with her for 12-14 years. I saw her later at a show with in inferior dog my female beat in the ring... rofl.... ( yes vengence maybe mine- but sometimes God lets you see it...)

junescrater716
11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
We got Curly on December 17 but only because we don't have family that comes over, or parties, or really exciting things happen. Christmas that year was all about Curly! lol

CathyBogart
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
I've gotten MYSELF pets for Christmas before. :) That's the way to do it if you're gonna! LoL...Jasper was my birthday gift to myself this year.