PDA

View Full Version : Appears the desert doesn't agree with Peanut - Uppydate on page 4

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I hate to put this downer thread out there today when there's SO much cuteness here, but.....

For the last week or so, Peanut has been pretty much peeing everywhere, and it seems to me like she's straining more than before when she pees. We've put those little puppy pads everywhere in the motorhome - and boy am I glad we have full tile! Thank goodness she hasn't peed on the furniture yet.

Anyway, because of the tumor in her bladder, and the fact that she's a little old lady and doesn't clean herself as well as she should, she is more prone to urinary tract infections. The vet I went to in Illinois gave me a supply of antibiotics before we left. Since she is still peeing everywhere after using those antibiotics, and seeing that she seems a little less active and a little less "spunky", I decided to call a Tucson vet that makes house calls. I didn't want to put her through the stress of an office call, so I'm so grateful to have access to this mobile vet.

He came out yesterday. We decided to do a culture of her urine to find out just what type of bacteria is in there - and then we can make sure she's getting the right antibiotics - but he also noticed that she was quite dehydrated. Between the dyhdration and some other symptoms I mentioned, he seemed to think maybe her kidney function is decreasing more than it was before, which would also contribute to the UTI's and her malaise. He also said it's possible the cancer has spread from her bladder to her kidneys.

What we decided to do was start her on a different antibiotic in the event it is a stubborn bacteria that may have become immune to the Baytril she was taking. We're also starting her on sub-q fluids - 100...whatevers...every other day for now. She was NOT thrilled with the sub-q fluids! She seems a little perkier today, but not dramatically so, and she didn't beg for milk when Terry was having breakfast which is HIGHLY unusual.

I'm hoping the antibiotics do their thing.....and I really hope that is the problem and it's not that the cancer is spreading. In a little over two weeks we're headed out to the desert where the nearest real town is 30 miles away and has all of 13,000 people in it - which is another reason I wanted her checked out before we go. I don't know what I'm going to do if she takes a turn for the worst out there, because there is NO way this mobile vet will make a house call out there. :(

So, once again I'd like to ask for prayers for my little old lady. They've dones such wonders for her in the past.

I fear "her time" is coming closer and closer, and neither Terry nor I want to think of what that really means. :(

Catty1
11-12-2006, 11:36 AM
The dehydration would have quite an effect on poor Peanut...I know you aren't in the desert yet, but is it quite a bit dryer in your RV, or in the area where you are now?

I hope the fluids really make a difference. Does she eat wet food, and did the vet recommend adding a bit of water to it?

Poor girl - I hope the new AB and fluids do the trick!

HUGS to you and Terry - you just may have your girl for a good while yet, without the peeing!

CultureJunky
11-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Poor Peanut. I really hope she makes a speedy recovery. Could it be stress related or is just the things she already has wrong with her?
She's being taken care of in the best way possible, and being thought about and cared for is all a cat needs.
I hope you feel better soon Peanut!

catfamily
11-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh poor Peanut.I really didn't want to say anything when I saw those lovely pictures in your mobile van traveling with CJ and Peanut but she really DID look very tired not to well...maybe in pain(But beautiful as ever).I felt it was getting near,but didn't want to say anything because we hate seeing our old pets get 'old and sick'it's so heartbreaking and I knew you already knew she was getting to that point..I'm so sorry.Are you giving her Pedialyte found in the baby food area?You can get a no needle shringe and give her a couple cc's in the morning and a couple cc's at night to get rid of the dehydration.I think that would be something to do for a few days anyway.But of course ask your vet first.I do it with mine if I think they are dehydrated.Sometimes when they get old they are just to darn tired to drink enough water...plus her being in pain also makes her not want to get up and go to the water bowl.Gosh I'm so so sorry.We all Love your Baby Peanut.
Prayers...lots of prayers on the way to Dear Peanut.

Just saw you were using the sub Q fluids.Sorry.That will be a great help for her.

jazzcat
11-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Lots of prayers for Peanut. I'm so sorry to hear she isn't doing well and I pray it's just a minor thing and not cancer.

(((HUGS)))

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-12-2006, 11:50 AM
The dehydration would have quite an effect on poor Peanut...I know you aren't in the desert yet, but is it quite a bit dryer in your RV, or in the area where you are now?

Technically we are already in the desert. Tucson is very desertlike with humidity levels around 20% on a regular basis, and we had a small bit of rain shortly after we got here, but not a drop since then. Right now the....humidity reader thingy....in the motorhome says it's 31%, and that's only about the 2nd time I've seen it that high since we've been here, so yes, it is extremely dry compared to what we're used to

Peanut is really a bag of bones and I'm sure she's down to about 5 pounds now. The biggest difference I can see after giving her the fluids is that she seems "fluffier" and actually has a little weight to her now when I pick her up. Yesterday she was quite "sloshy" :eek: but today she seems much more normal and not so bony.

The only problem with the fluids is that it makes her have to pee more, which she is still not doing in the box, but Terry has said that the pee pads everywhere don't bother him a bit (anything for his daddy's little girl ;) ), so the fluids continue and hopefully the box will become more appealing soon.

Thanks everyone. :)

Barbara
11-12-2006, 11:58 AM
I think Peanut looked a little scruffy in the van pictures- and that is not unusual in dehydrated cats. So I would expect that she looks a little fluffier now.

What can I say- I send my best wishes. Peanut for sure is happy to have her favorite humans close and she'll let you know when the time is there :(

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

jenluckenbach
11-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Big time prayers for little miss Peanut.

Bengalz
11-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Lots of prayers and gentle hugs for dear little Miss Peanut. She is a favourite of mine; reminds me so much of our little Roxy (also a maine coon). She suffered with kidney disease and that's what finally took her at a young age - 11 years old :(

I really hope the sub q's work for Peanut and let her feel better.

Hugs to you and Terry and CJ

Betty

Vio&Juni
11-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I am thinking of you. I hope Peanut will get better.

AbbyMom
11-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh, poor Peanut. Prayers on the way.

Do you have room in the RV for a humidifier? One of those room-sized ones you can get at Walgreens or Target?

K & L
11-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm so sorry to read Peanut may be declining. I'm so grateful I got to meet and pet her! We will send extra prayers and hope all this TLC and antibiotics will do the trick.

Edwina's Secretary
11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Dear Peanut,

Hydration, hydration, hydration! It is so important if you are living in the desert. Believe me...I know. I am thinking of you....

Sandily,

Edwina

momoffuzzyfaces
11-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Prayers flying and all fingers and paws crossed here for our sweet Pal, Peanut!!!

Vermontcat
11-12-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Peanut isn't feeling well. :(
Sending hugs and prayers your way that she feels better.
Samantha has her paws crossed, hoping that her buddy Peanut feels better soon.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/vtcat/pets/crosspaws.jpg

kimlovescats
11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I hate to hear that our littl Peanut is not doing well! :( I pray that these meds and fluids will help her!!!

Hugs and Kitty kisses,
Kim

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-12-2006, 02:11 PM
You guys and the power of PT prayer are really amazing! I posted this, then ran out to do some errands. I wasn't gone more than 1 1/2 hours or so and I came back to a Peanut who went straight to the litter box without coaxing - twice - and then she was begging while I was fixing lunch. :D

Hopefully this means the fluids and the meds are starting to do their thing.....all thanks to the PT prayers that are flying her way. :)

Randi
11-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Debbie, I'm really sorry to hear little Peanut is not as spunky anymore, but glad she's getting some fluid into her - even if she is fighting it. I hope she'll get to like her box again and also get better all around. The different antibiotics just might be the answer.

I'm sending lots of positive thoughts and kisses to that little girl.

Take care!

Felicia's Mom
11-12-2006, 03:46 PM
I hope Peanut continues to feel better.

RedHedd
11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Oh I just saw this. Poor little Peanut. I know the sub-Q's help them perk up very quickly. Sorry the little princess is being balky with the Sub-Q's - it must feel weird to have cool water flowing into the skin under your neck. Poor old lady. Peanut, the M's are sending gentle head bumpies and lots of purrayers that you're feeling better very soon.

momcat
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Peanut is not only a real sweetheart, she's a PT favorite. How sad to hear she's not feeling well. It's good to hear that she has perked up a bit and is begging for breakfast again. Prayers continue to be prayed for her complete and speedy recovery.

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Prayers on the way for Princess Peanut!! I'm glad she is *already* feeling better!!!

give her a big kiss and scritch for me!

K & L
11-12-2006, 04:54 PM
WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! We'll just keep the good vibes coming!

catmandu
11-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I think that the Tubby Angels are visiting Peanut to lift her spirits, and are helping her find the box, and moving it to where she is.
They love thier Peanut and will do anything for her!

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi God!

Purrayer Kat anna Muttz here ...

Did'ja not get da Change of Address from Peanut an CJ? They're not inna 'partment enny more -
livin near da Sand Pile inna Rollin Howze now ... Too-Sawn we think they call it.

We needz a lil Help out there onna Sand Pile ... but soundz like You're all-reddy onna case!
Lil Peanutter - the wun livin inna Rollin Howze wiff CJ - she's feelin a lil less than Chipper an we're
hopin You kuld make a road trip ta help check her out ... maybe meet da Rollin White Coat.

Better Hurry - they's gonna be Onna Road Agin soon - movin out ONNA Sand Pile - off inna Booniez!
You'll need Yur short-sleeved Robe anna sandilz ... an prolly otta wear a HAT -
You can toss da Halo on toppa da hat.

Pleeze see innin You can Fix-er Up fur da trip.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Purrayer FurKids

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Debbie, I saw the title of this post earlier but I had to be some where this am so I didn't have time to read it until now.:o I'm so sorry to hear that Peanut isn't doing well.:( I hope that the meds and fluids will continue to make her feel better and perk her up. I'm glad to hear that this is already happening. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

lizbud
11-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Hope you continue to feel better Peanut. :)

rg_girlca
11-12-2006, 07:21 PM
You guys and the power of PT prayer are really amazing! I posted this, then ran out to do some errands. I wasn't gone more than 1 1/2 hours or so and I came back to a Peanut who went straight to the litter box without coaxing - twice - and then she was begging while I was fixing lunch. :D

Hopefully this means the fluids and the meds are starting to do their thing.....all thanks to the PT prayers that are flying her way. :)

This is such great news. :)

Prayers on the way that she continues to do well on the fluids and meds.

anna_66
11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Deb it's good to hear that she's feeling a little bit better since your initial post. I'll be sure to keep your girl in my thoughts and prayers.

Uabassoon
11-12-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Peanut isn't doing well, but glad to hear that she is doing better. I will keep you guys in my thoughts that all will be well during your voyage to the middle of the sonoran desert.

shais_mom
11-12-2006, 11:12 PM
will keep my fingers and paws crossed for Peanut!
I hope she feels better soon!

orangemm
11-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Poor little girl; I hope she continues to improve. Keep on going, Peanut!!! We love you, little girl!!!

Lots of prayers going up for the intrepid traveler.................

Sonia59
11-13-2006, 06:17 AM
I am glad to hear that your little Peanut is going better. I hope it continues!
She is so lucky to have good humans like you. And we love you sweet lady Peanut!

Donnaj4962
11-13-2006, 08:06 AM
I hope little Peanut continues to get better! I know that when Tabitha (18 years old) feels a little punky and under the weather, I get so worried and just want to do whatever I can to make her better right away. I understand what you are going through. Peanut is a gorgeous little girl, and I am anxious to hear more good updates on her!

catlover4ever
11-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about Miss Peanut. I'm glad to read again that she has seemed to perk up but know that I am sending big time prayers her way.

ramanth
11-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Peanut, I hope you feel better soon and that the meds help.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. :)

Peanut is doing relatively well....I guess. She is definitely perkier. Didn't beg for breakfast this morning, but gobbled it up when I put it down, and there was no way she was letting lunch go by unnoticed!

However, she is still not consistently using the litter box. She also doesn't seem to be straining as much as she was, so maybe the meds are starting to work but haven't fully kicked in yet.

The vet had mentioned putting her on medicam(?) or something like that - it's an anti-inflammatory. We didn't want to put her on it right away because I didn't want to overload her system with drugs (she's now on 2 different types of antibiotics), but if she doesn't start using the box consistenly real soon, I'm going to tell him we'd like to try the anti-inflammatory to see if that will help. It could just be she will be inconsistent until the end, and that's ok as long as we know that's the way it's going to be so we can make sure to keep a good eye on her when we're here, and make sure she's in a "pee-friendly" place when we're not here.

She is definitely perkier....and that's not a good thing when it comes to giving the fluids. Terry has a tough time holding her....thank goodness we only have to give her 100....whatevers because she sure wouldn't sit still for much more. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the prayers and good thoughts. I hope they continue to make her days easier. :)

Killearn Kitties
11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh little Peanut, please keep getting perkier! We love you here and want to keep you!

momoffuzzyfaces
11-13-2006, 02:20 PM
You go girl!!! Peanut you just keep getting perkier!!! You humans don't really mind!!! Lots of prayers flying from the little yellow house on the prairie for you and there are 4 cats with paws crossed too!
:)

Logan
11-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Peanut, you are a very special girl to me. Your mama, Debbie, and you were always good friends to Mimi and me. I have always thought that you and Mimi were kindred spirits. :) Please eat, sweetheart, and use your litter box. Your mama and daddy need you to stick with them for a long time. You are all in my prayers.

Logan

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Peanut is continuing to do well. She is definitely spunkier and even played with her mousie today, which she hasn't done in a few weeks now. :D

She is still not using the box consistently though, and she really dislikes getting the fluids. Tonight was a bit of a struggle and Terry realized he's going to have to hold her tighter than he thought - yes, fluids spurting everywhere with MY finger getting poked in the process. :rolleyes: ;)

Cute story - we've been putting a folded up cardboard box in the hallway to keep Peanut in the bedroom/bathroom area at night and while we're gone so the random pee spots are kept to a minimum. Yesterday when I got home, CJ was so excited to see me and I saw how he had been pawing at the box to try to get out, but he hadn't succeeded(sp?) at that point. This morning right before I got up, I heard him jump over - he had figured out he could "escape." Well.......this afternoon when I came home for lunch, Peanut met me at the door, and CJ was sleeping on the couch! We figured CJ was able to get out, but wasn't happy with just getting himself out, he had to break his sister out too! Busted her out of jail he did. ;) :D He's such a good little brother. :D The good news is there were only two random pee spots, and both of them were on some of the puppy pads I have down. Maybe she was showing me she could be "good" while we were gone so we didn't lock her up again. ;)

trayi52
11-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Debbie, prayers are on the way that Peanut continues to do better. Sounds like she is a little fighter, and doesen't appear to want to give this battle up.

Hope she gets to feeling her old self soon.

((((HUGS))))
Willie

jazzcat
11-14-2006, 10:27 PM
What a sweet story about CJ breaking his sister out. :)

I'm glad to hear Peanut is feeling perkier.
Keep it up sweetie!

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm glad to hear that Peanut is much perkier and is interested in playing with her mousie.:) I also enjoyed hearing the CJ jail break story.:) I know that the pee pads are supposed to have some kind of smell to them that will make cats and dogs want to use them. Maybe Peanut thinks that she's supposed to use them instead of the litterbox.:) I sure hope that Peanut continues to do well.:)

Donnaj4962
11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I am so glad to hear that Peanut is continuing to feel better! And I love the story of CJ "breaking her form the jail cell"! ;) How sweet! Keep feeling better little Peanut! I have a soft spot in my heart for you little one, as you remind me so much of my Tabitha! She is also very petite, and older, and has a younger sister who keeps her on her toes!

Felicia's Mom
11-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Peanut is continuing to do well. She is definitely spunkier and even played with her mousie today, which she hasn't done in a few weeks now. :D

Please continue to improve, Peanut! :D

catfamily
11-16-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm so happy she's doing better :)
Would using a non needle shringe and buying the pedialyte at the grocery store be better giving it in her mouth like water?
We do it to a new cat (Mia)I brought in that was so dehydtrated that she not only didn't pee because she was so dehydrated but her skin was leather.She's doing great now with just the pedialyte.
Of course it's up to your vet and you though.I don't know what Peanut's whole health history is so I'm just throwing it out there :)
I hope Peanut continues to stay perky so she and you can enjoy each other a longer time.Good Luck :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi all! :) It's been crazy around here, hardly a day off at all, and when that day comes there's things like laundry and cleaning to do - I've never seen so much dust! But I wanted to give you an uppydate on Peanut.

She is doing well - I'm so thrilled! She pees in the box....most of the time. Seems what her problem is now is that she sleeps soooo sound, that when she wakes up she has to pee NOW! So she takes a few steps from where she's sleeping, then pees right there, then proceeds to the litterbox and pees again. But as long as she's awake, she'll trot on over to the box no problem. She's done with all antibiotics and is now only taking the anti-inflammatory, and that seems to really be the biggest helper to her because if I forget it for a day or two she starts straining and peeing everywhere again. I've pee-proofed the motorhome pretty well - couches covered, bed covered, pee pads in strategic places, etc.

She's still getting fluids every other day too. I've increased it from 100 whatevers to 125 whatevers and that seems to tide her over better.

So, all in all she's doing better than I ever expected her too. She's enjoying snuggles with her daddy right now, and we're about to head to dinner so we can bring her back some chicken for a treat. She is still a real monger and eats like she's going to the chair! :rolleyes: :D

Thanks again for all the continuing prayers. I just know they are making a world of difference for her. :)

jenluckenbach
12-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Great news on Peanut!

catmandu
12-09-2006, 07:01 PM
We are glad that Peanut is improving and we are sending prayers to your Dear Girl that she continues to do well.
Shes one of our Favorites on Pet Talk,and I know the Tubby Angels are there helping Peanut out.

Cinder & Smoke
12-09-2006, 07:52 PM
She is doing well - I'm so thrilled! She pees in the box....most of the time.

... is now only taking the anti-inflammatory ...
if I forget it for a day or two she starts straining and peeing everywhere again. :eek:

So, all in all she's doing better than I ever expected her too.
She's enjoying snuggles with her daddy right now,
and we're about to head to dinner ...

GREAT NEWS, Deb!! ... Stay WELL, PeaNutter!! ;)

(Pssssst ... Hey Deb - you're not "supposed to forget" the Meds!) :p

Does Sandy Pawz *know* Where PeaNutter & CJ are going to *park* their
Stockings on Christmas Eve?

We hope they've sent their Note to Santa with directions to the Motor Howze.

So - are you going to have Snow or Sand on Christmas?

:cool:

DJFyrewolf36
12-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Glad to hear that Peanut is doing better! :D Hopefully things will keep improving!

catland
12-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm so glad to hear that miss Peanut is doing better, its no fun getting older. She's so lucky to have her brother and the two of you to look after her.

Hang in there Peanut.

RedHedd
12-09-2006, 10:18 PM
It's SO good to hear Peanut news. She's one of my favorite kitties on PT. I'm glad she's doing better and Phred's right, c'mon mom ;)

krazyaboutkatz
12-10-2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the wonderful update Debbie.:) I'm so glad that Peanut is continuing to do well.:)

Killearn Kitties
12-10-2006, 06:32 AM
So good to hear that things are going well with you all, particularly beautiful Miss Peanut!

orangemm
12-10-2006, 07:42 AM
That is good news about our little Peanut! I'm so thankful she is doing well and continues to improve.

She's a little sweetheart!

Randi
12-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Debbie, I'm glad to hear the good news. :) Hopefully she will continue to improve. LOL about CJ breaking Peanut of of prison. :D

gini
12-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Debbie, thanks for the update on Peanut. It is so good to hear that things are going well.

jazzcat
12-10-2006, 11:21 AM
That is a good update!!! I'm so glad she is feeling better - and peeing better. ;)

Barbara
12-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Glad to hear Peanut is better. Tigris who these days gets used to sitting with me and watching the computer while I read and type sends his warmest purrs. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
12-10-2006, 01:28 PM
So glad to hear Peanut is doing better!!! :D

Bengalz
12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Way to go Peanut :) So good to hear you're feeling better and spending lots of quality snuggle time with Daddy :D

Hugs to you sweetie :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Yesterday I was refilling their water bowls from a gallon jug of water. I opened the jug and flipped the ring from the cap on the floor, not even thinking about it. Weeellll....before you know it, guess who was batting around and acting goofy with it? Yep, my snotty little girl! :D It was so nice to see her playing again since she hasn't for awhile now. She was batting it around before CJ heard the ruckus and came and swiped it from her, but I think she was ready to sit down and rest anyway. Seems my little old lady has quite a bit of life in her yet. :D

I'm hoping to get recent pictures uploaded tonight sometime, and hopefully posted soon.

jenluckenbach
12-12-2006, 04:48 AM
This update just makes me smile! :)

trayi52
12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
Debbie, this is such good news, it also makes me smile! Thanks for the uppydate!

Willie :)

Laura's Babies
12-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Great news! I am glad out little girl is up to playing again! She is such a little sweetie! Can't wait for the pictures!

orangemm
12-12-2006, 04:56 PM
You go, little Peanut girl! Nothing like a jug ring to make a cat happy. ;)

Glad to hear our little sweetheart is doing better and feelin' frisky!

Felicia's Mom
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Great news! I'm so happy Peanut is feeling better! :)