PDA

View Full Version : Beloved Duke is at RB...

Pages : [1] 2

K9karen
11-12-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm writing on Val's behalf.

She called me at 10a this morning on her way to the vet. She made the heartbreaking, sad, difficult. but unselfish decision to release her boy from any more suffering.

Safe journey. sweet, precious soul. Your girlfriend, Logan and I will miss you beyond words. You will be in our hearts and minds for the rest of our lives. Play free and healthy at the Bridge, as you jump happily into your grandpop's arms. Walk with Corinna and tell her how much we miss her.

Watch over Val, protect her, smile down on her and comfort her. She loved you with all her heart, but you knew that, and loved her back in return.

Comforting hugs to you, Val.
Until we meet again, Duke....

caseysmom
11-12-2006, 10:41 AM
I got up and thought of Duke first thing this morning, he is all I could think about. I am in tears, I am so sorry Val. I know how hard it was for you, what a selfless thing you have done for your boy.

Run free sweet Duke, you will be greatly missed.

Val, take care of yourself, you have been through so much lately, be gently and easy on yourself okay?

Bengalz
11-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Duke - you were a sweet and gentle loving soul and will be missed by everyone here at PT ... RIP dear baby.

Val, my sincere sympathies on such a great loss. I know your heart is broken and the tears won't stop. Take the time to mourn and allow time to let you remember Duke peacefully. He will always be with you in spirit.

Many healing thoughts and hugs are being sent to you,

Betty

animal_rescue
11-12-2006, 11:05 AM
RIP Duke, you are very much missed and always will be. :(

jazzcat
11-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Val and Duke have been in my thoughts.

I'm so sorry Val. Duke is a special boy who will be missed.

Rest in Peace sweet Duke.

Prairie Purrs
11-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Duke went to the RB on the wings of love, and he'll live on in many hearts. RIP, sweet boy.

cyber-sibes
11-12-2006, 11:13 AM
:( Dear sweet Duke, your mom was very brave to let you go so lovingly. Play happily at the bridge, dear sweet boy, you are whole and well again. I know your spirit will keep close to your mom, and she will feel you near. She loved you so.

(((((hugs)))) Val, there are no words to ease the depth of your pain, I'm so sorry for your loss. My heartdog Rosie & kitty ChowChow are there too, I know how much it hurts to let them go.
Sending you prayers and (((hugs)))

Catty1
Blessings and more blessings and peace to you, Val.

Duke left you full of your love for him - and his for you.

HUGS - I wish I could give more, something to make it all better...

Take care of yourself, and lean on us here.

Barbara
Val I am so sorry. Even if you know it is the best it is so impossible to let go.

I hope it will comfort you to know Duke was ready- they always are when the time has come.

Hugs to you.

Freckles
11-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Val, I'm so sorry. Remember the good times with Duke.

Vela
11-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I am so so sorry. I know he meant everything to you. I feel like anything I try to say will sound inadequte, and that nothing will really help, but he had the best life any dog could have and he passed on knowing how much you adored him. I feel so sad for you, but he is no longer in pain and he will be well loved until you meet up with him again. He will always be with you in your heart and memories and you will feel his comfort by your side just as if he were here. I'm so sorry.

lizbud
11-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Valerie, I am so very sorry that Duke's time on earth has ended. :(
I know (and Duke knew) how much you loved him.Duke is at peace now
with no more pain, no more suffering.I hope he meets up with my Buddy
as I'm sure they would have made quite the pair. Rest In Peace sweet boy.
(((Hugs))) Liz.

chocolatepuppy
11-12-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm so sorry Val. :( Duke is at the Rainbow Bridge, free from any pain and looking down to watch over you. Maybe he will see my Mandy there. Duke knew you loved him more than anything in the world. He was so loved here on Pet Talk. In time your sweet memories of him will bring you comfort. Many {{{hugs}}} to you. Rest in Peace Duke.

Alysser
11-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm so sorry that sweet Duke is gone. I cannot even express how sad this makes me feel, my heart is breaking for you. Duke was such a special boy and what a kind soul. ((HUGS)) He lived a LONG and very happy life with you, thank you for letting him go and ending his suffering.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Godspeed Duke.

I_luv_rusty
11-12-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm so sorry (((HUGS))))) RIP Duke :( You will be missed!

K9soul
11-12-2006, 12:11 PM
I'll have to come back later when I can think coherently and say more of what is in my heart. I'm devastated beyond words. It doesn't matter how much you may know something is inevitable, it still hits incredibly hard. I'm crying my eyes out, dearest Val. My heart feels shattered into a million pieces. I burned a candle for Duke late into the night, he never left my thoughts and prayers. I will be burning it again today, for his sweet soul being carried up to the Rainbow Bridge, and for his dear, bereft momma, whose pain and loss I feel so acutely. I mourn with you Val. Please try to get some rest, please take care of yourself. Gentle hugs to you, you are not alone and all of us will be here to help you cope with this.

Cincy'sMom
11-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Val, I am so sorry to hear of Duke's passing. Thank you for sharing him with us and espically for giving me the chance to meet such a wonderful dog in person. He is free from pain now and will watch over you and Doogie.

jenluckenbach
11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
RIP Duke. We will all miss you.

{{{{{Val}}}}}

luvofallhorses
11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
oh God. :( I don't know what to say but I am sorry. :( (((HUGS))) you'll be in my thoughts. please take care of yourself and remember we are here for you. my heart goes out to you and don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

Karen
11-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Rest in Peace, sweet boy. We know you stayed with your momma as long as you could, and that she is sad right now. But please watch over her from your spot at the Rainbow Bridge, where you are a young and healthy dog again.

You were a handsome boy who stole Val's heart, and so gracious in welcomeing Doogie into the family. You have left pawprints on the hearts of many people that never even met you in person, you were loved by us all.

Play nice at the Rainbow Bridge, dear boy, and let your mom know that her decision was right, and you are forever pain-free.

shais_mom
11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Val -
Godspeed Duke.
{{hugs to Val}}

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Oh no...... somehow I missed the tread about Duke being sick.... :(

Play happily at the Bridge dear Duke!!

trayi52
11-12-2006, 01:06 PM
So sorry to hear of Duke's passing. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, Val.

Godspeed Duke.

Willie :(

.sarah
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I am so sorry, Val. I know how much he meant to you, it was evident every time you spoke about him.

Godspeed sweet boy.

Danegirl2208
11-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Once again i am so sorry Val :( ....you did the right thing hun...

run free Duke....you will be missed dearly

momoffuzzyfaces
11-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Be at peace sweet Duke. You will be missed so much but now your pain is over and someday you and your mommy will be together again.

Val, my heart breaks for you. :(

Edwina's Secretary
11-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Godspeed Duke....Val...I am so very sorry.....

ChrisH
11-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Rest in peace sweet and handsome Duke boy.

Val, I know your pain. {{hugs}}

GreyhoundGirl
11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm so sorry. (((HUGS)))
:(
Play hard, Duke, you will always be remembered.

Daisy and Delilah
11-12-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm so sorry, Val. I have no words to comfort you. Rest in Peace Dear Sweet Duke and play hard at the bridge sweetheart. :(

CathyBogart
11-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm so sorry...Duke, you are so missed down here, please watch over your mama from the rainbow bridge, okay?

Randi
11-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Val, it's so sad that you had to let Duke go, but he is free of pain now. He knew how much you loved him, and he has left his pawprints in your heart forever. If he could talk now, he would thank you for doing this at the right time. I hope it will be a comfort to you that he had such a great life with you.

Rest in Peace, dear Duke! You will always be remembered.

(((((hugs)))))

Dorothy39
11-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Valarie~

I realize that I cannot offer more than my Sincere Sympathy for you right now~

I've had you and Duke on my mind throughout the evening and well into today.

Yes, You did the right thing~ Offering your last "Loving Gesture" for such a Wonderful Friend.

I will continue to Hold You in my thoughts and Prayers :o

May You Play Hard at the Rainbow Bridge , Dear Duke~

Husky15
11-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. Last night and this morning the only thing on my mind was you and Duke. My thoughts are with you, Val. Duke was and still is grealty loved, and he is greatly missed.

Rest in peace, Duke.

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-12-2006, 02:24 PM
I am so very sorry, Val. :( I know how much your sweet boy meant to you (and don't worry, Duke knew just how much he meant to you as well). Please know that you gave him the best (long) life a dog could ever ask for and both he and you were very lucky to have eachother. Duke was one of my very favourite PT dogs. He sure was a special boy.

(((hugs)))

gemini9961
11-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Val, I'm so sorry. Duke is up at the RB watching over all of us and catching up with all of the PT RB dogs and Corinna. I'm sure they have a special place up there for all of us when it is our time. He was a special boy, we all knew it and most importantly, Duke knew it. He's pain free now. You made the right decision as hard as it was to make. I'm sure he has found your father by now and they are having a grand ol' time.

Prayers are with you Val.

Duke,

You will be missed, RIP handsome boy.

Amber

Cinder & Smoke
11-12-2006, 02:28 PM
<rinnnng>

Herrow, MOM?
HI, Mom ... Duke here - up atta Bridge ...

Cinder & Smokey's GranMom let me use da Hot Line in God's Office -
sed I otta Call Home an let ya know I arrived A-OK an
am gettin settled in here at the Bridge.

I *miss* ya Mom - but try not to fret so much - I'll be OK here till we can meet up again.
I already feel like a Pup again - I'll practice *fetchin* so we can play again when you get here.

Gotta tell ya - after we sed our "See ya Laters" at the White Coat's Lab ...
the *Phunn* really started!

Guy named "God" pulled up out frunt onna big Silver Klowd ... sed fur me to Hop Aboard!
WOW!
Whudda RIDE! --- Krazy Gurl named Shadow wuz drivin - hadda Fiur Hat on backwards ...
didja see us doin LOOPS inna parkin lot?

Got outta towne an da God Guy sed *I* kuld drive fur a while ...
NEET-O, Mom - I'll borrow da keys an gib ya a ride some time!

I *missed* da Bridge commin in fur da landing ... I need a lil practice wiffa landings! :p
So we made anudder pass around da ole Durt Ball --- lil Tubby wanted ta *wave* at
the Rollin Howze inna desert; an Sophie Bunnie wanted ta *ThUmPz* at Piper an K'Cee ...
we made a lotta Visits affore God sed we otta get back.

I'll be *watchin* ya, Mom - NO Tears - OK?
Ya can *miss* me iffin ya need to ... but no fretttin ... I'm gonna be OK till ya get here!

Oh ... almost furgotz ... The Gang sez I gotta organize a Replacement Search Committee -
ta find a suitable Orphan to move in so my Stuff duzint go ta waste. You get
ta make requests -
be thinkin bout it ... but don't dilly-dally ... da Committee hates ta see empty
howzes!
They sumtymes just send a s'prize - so keep my water bowl filled!

LUV ya Mom ... God sez He'll send sum {{{Hugs}}} down tanite fur ya!

/s/ Duke
;)

Zippy
11-12-2006, 02:42 PM
RIP Duke you are loved and missed by your mom and PT friends :(

4 Dog Mother
11-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Val,I have not been on Pet Talk all weekend and did not know that Duke was failing. I am so sorry that you had to make the decision to let him go. I know how much you loved him. You have had a lot of good years with him and those will always be there for you to reach for when you think about him. I know you helped you through some of the tougher times of your life.

I will keep you and Duke in my prayers.

Phred, wow, what a nice post!

Killearn Kitties
11-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm so sorry, Val, that no more could be done for Duke. He had a wonderful life in a great home, and he knew how much he was loved.

Rest in peace, Duke. You will not be forgotten here.

Argranade
11-12-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm so sorry, I geuss it realy was time for old Duke to leave this earth.

I know you will miss him dearly but he'll always be in your heart no matter what & he gave you a gift that can never be taken away, a gift of pure joy and love rapped with a warm doggies heart and stuck together with a forever tied friendship between you and your little sweet Duke.

Bless you Duke may you be at peace forever now! :(

Here is a video of rainbow bridge for you, please take care.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Grace
11-12-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear of Duke's passing. Of this I am certain - you will see each other again, one day.

buttercup132
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
:( Oh no not another PT pup.

R.I.P Dukey your free of pain now.

finn's mom
11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
:( Valerie, I don't even know what to say. I am helpless and unable to say anything that will make this easier. I love you, even though we've not met, yet. And, I will always love Duke.

Lobodeb
11-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Oh, Val! I just came on today to see this. I didn't know Duke was ill. I know how concerned you were about this day coming. Your posts showed us all how much you love Duke, so I'm sure he knew how much he is loved. No words can make you feel any better about losing your sweet boy, but hopefully, knowing you have the support of us at PT will help.

Play hard at the bridge, Duke. Please tell our other bridge babies "hello" for us.

caseysmom
11-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I keep thinking about you Val and hope you are okay. Duke is in a better place, hopefully you are not suffering Val.

Aspen and Misty
11-12-2006, 03:58 PM
:( Duke :(

I remember all the pictures of you your mom posted of you. You were a spoiled little man. I think that to your mom you definitly weren't a four legged friend but more like her four legged other half. She will miss you and the support, love and laughter you brought into her life, but don't fret dear one, the next puppy you hand choose to enter into her life will certainly never fill your shoes, but will take care of mom just as you have.

Safe journey loved boy, please know we will never forget you.

Ashley

jenfer
11-12-2006, 04:33 PM
RIP, Duke.

Sara luvs her Tinky
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
OH NO!!!

I am so sorry Val !! sending some {{{hugs}}}

Duke was one of my favorites... i always loved seeing pictures of him... he was so photogenic!

I know you heart is broken... what a lucky lucky dog to have you. He had a WONDERFUL life and was spoiled by his mommy!

We will miss you so much Duke! Have fun playing at the bridge... and send your mommy a doggy-angel hug from heaven!

Toby's my baby
11-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Val, I am very sorry you had to make this decision. {{lots of hugs}}

Rest in peace Duke, you are greatly missed. :(

krazyaboutkatz
11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Val, I'm so sorry to hear about Duke's passing.:( I know you did the right thing though and it was a very difficult decision but it was also a very unselfish one. Duke knew that you loved him and would always do what was best for him. Now he's playing up at the Bridge and is healthy again. You'll meet again some day. RIP sweet Duke.:(

sammy101
11-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Val, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I'll miss seeing your sweet boy.

RIP Duke
{{hugs}}

dukedogsmom
11-12-2006, 05:40 PM
It was so hard coming home today. When I opened the door, for just a few seconds, I looked for Duke to greet me. My heart sank when I remembered he wasn't there. Mom made tuna salad tonight and I said I wished we could have given Duke a boiled egg. He dearly loved those. She said she didn't boil any extra on purpose because she didn't want to see it laying around. I'll try to find a video of him eating one. My brother said he's never seen a dog eat something so delicately before.

My Dearest, Most Loved Duke,
I miss you so much right now. I want you back so I can tell you how much I love you and hug you tightly once more. Last night I begged you to come visit me so I hope you can. You will forever be a part of my heart and soul. You were my furry soul mate. I am so fortunate to have found you. You turned me into a dog person. I was a cat person for you. You changed me forever. Last night I was petting you, trying to memorize everything so I could have it with me always. As I was hugging you so close today at the vet, I hope you had no doubts about how much I love you. I feel blessed that I could give you peace in your time of need. Though my heart is breaking, it's no longer hurting because of your illness. There's a peace there that tells me this was the right decision. I'll be waiting unpatiently until we can be reunited. I love you so much, I would have gladly died for you to live but then you'd feel my pain. It was always going to be too soon for you to go. I miis you so, my sweet baby dog.
This lyrics from Snow Patrol describe how I felt last night and for a while, I did forget the world. It was just you and me.
If I just lay, if I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

I'm glad your grandmaw remembered the canned chicken. When I didn't think you'd eat it, you did. I'm so happy we were able to give you that last good taste. I think it even perked you up a little. I'm happy you were able to enjoy at least half the ride to the vet sitting up, enjoying smelling the fresh air and looking out the windows. I also thank you so much for your last gift to me. These pictured of you looking happy, with your ears up and no sadness in your eyes. I will be eternally greatful for that last gift from you. I miss you so much, my heart just aches.
Pictures in next post.

Logan
11-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Val, I am so sorry. Don't you now that your dad and Corinna were waiting with open arms when Duke stepped in? I know many good friends to greet him, too.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Logan

dukedogsmom
11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
I wished I could have gotten a better pic of you and Doogie but I understand. He's got a mighty big job ahead of him for these next few months.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/111206_4.jpg
And Beauregard saying goodbye to you. You were so sweet and gentle with him
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/111206_2.jpg
My sweet, happy boy
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/111206_3.jpg
I've left this next one big and I'm sorry for the people with dialup. This is the next to last pic I took of him and I just love it.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/111206_1.jpg
You'll be forever missed by me, my sweet dog. I love you.,always.

You loved your ear song from grandmaw. She was too upset to sing it for you last night. I'm so glad I have it forever. I remember the way you would just smile after that. You thought it was the most special thing ever. You were one of a kind, my dear dog. I'm so thankful you blessed my life.

MajesticCollies
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Val. Duke is running free at the Bridge with loving memories of you!!!! God Bless.

Pam
11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
I am so sorry Val. :(

Anita Cholaine
11-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Valerie, I hadn't seen the thread you made yesterday, I had no idea :( I'm in tears now that I've read your last post.
I know how hard it must be for you not to have him by your side anymore. Treasure the happy moments you spent with him, he will always live in your heart.

RIP dear Duke. Play hard at RB.

((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Giselle
11-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh goodness, I'm in tears. The second to last picture just speaks volumes about Duke's spirit. You can see the life just sweltering inside his soul. He knew and you knew that letting go is the greytest gift of love you could ever possibly give. Rest in peace, Duke. Death is only the beginning of an everlasting life.

wolf_Q
11-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Oh Val, I'm so sorry that Duke is gone, but you made the right decision for him. He will love you always, you can tell the love between you both in those last photos. I know that he meant the world to you. Cherish the memories you have of him. I'm honored that I was able to meet him. {{hugs}}

Pembroke_Corgi
11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
I am so sorry. Please except my sympathy, I know that Duke was very loved and that where ever he is, he still knows how much you love him. :(

kimlovescats
11-12-2006, 06:44 PM
I'm very sorry. Rest in peace, dear Duke.

Kim

caseysmom
11-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I can't listen to the song just yet but I will come back later and listen.

finn's mom
11-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Beautiful Duke. Those pictures made me smile. I wasn't able to listen to the song, but, if David can figure out how to listen to it, we certainly will. Thank you for posting the photos.

anna_66
11-12-2006, 07:31 PM
As I sit here trying to find the words to say I thought I'd go looking for pictures of your boy and this is the one I found, the one when you and Duke were here visiting. I'll never forget it. Bon really wasn't sure what to make of him and I still laugh just thinking about Duke bossing him around.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/pc6b7b65badd372c9c7331acb8e5d6d00/f60c44d3.jpg

I'm so very glad that you now have someone to share this grief with you and help you as you try to cope.
You know you were here for me as I grieved for Angus, and I'll be here for you too.

It's hard to sit here and type when all I want to do is cry and give you a big ((((HUG))))...it's the best hug I can give right now.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers
Love Anna

robinh
11-12-2006, 08:27 PM
I've not been here much lately; but I've been trying to follow the posts on dear Duke's health. When I saw the posts this morning, I prayed all day that it was not so. But I found tonight that it was not to be.

Val, please accept my sincere and deep sympathy at the passing of such a wonderful old soul. It is rare in life that we find our heart dog, but both of you were graced and lucky to have found each other.

RIP Duke, I'm sorry to have never met you. Please look up my Peach at the bridge, I'm sure you two will be great friends.

Robin

Sudilar
11-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Val, I am so very sorry for your great loss. Duke was a wonderful boy. He had a great life with you and now he is watching over you from RB. What a beautiful tribute (it had me in tears). He is now surrounded by all of our departed PT Angels. Hugs.

Iilo
11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
I am so, so sorry.

Ginger's Mom
11-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Oh Val, I just now saw the thread indicating that Duke was so ill. I cried my way through it trying to think of a reply when I saw your post saying you had lovingly let him go. My heart does break for you, Val. I am so sorry I know how much you loved your boy. I am crying and don't know what else to say.
{{{Hugs}}}

NoahsMommy
11-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Oh sweet Val, I'm so sorry it was Duke's time to go. We're NEVER, EVER ready for it, even though we know in our hearts and heads its the RIGHT and KIND thing to do.

At least now he's healthy and has the energy of a pup...while he awaits your arrival when you can be together again. Both, happy and health and TOGETHER.

I'm just so sorry...I wish I could take all the pain away.

Hugs & LOTS of Love,
xoxoxo Kelly and Kitties xoxoxo

rg_girlca
11-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Dear Val;

My heart is breaking on the loss of your beloved Duke. He was so loved and had such a wonderful life with you.
My sympathies are with you at this sad hour. May the loving memories comfort you and help you overcome the pain.

Rest in Peace dear Duke.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-12-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm so very sorry, Val. Your post was a lovely tribute to a wonderful friend who meant so much to so many people.

RIP Duke, you're among many friends now who will show you all the good stuff at the bridge. :(

<waves at passing silver klowd> Hi Tubby! :)

K9karen
11-12-2006, 11:05 PM
This has been one he**uva long day.

Thanks, Phred, your post helped to ease the pain

BC_MoM
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Rest easy, Duke. You were a fighter - and a very regal, handsome dog. You and your Mom shared so much love for each other - but it's never ending. Prayers will be sent for you tonight from Mickey, Molly and I.

Prayers and hugs to you, Val. (((hugs)))

CountryWolf07
11-13-2006, 12:16 AM
So sorry to hear about the loss of Duke. He was well loved here on PT. God bless you. You did the best thing you could do for him -- He's thankful and happy; he is your guardian angel.

caseysmom
11-13-2006, 12:20 AM
My candle is still burning for you Duke, in your memory I will burn it all through the season.

dukedogsmom
11-13-2006, 03:18 AM
I can't sleep because I'm missing you so much. I keep thinking about you and all the things that made me love you. I've ordered a charm in your memory. When I saw it, I knew it was the perfect thing. It's a rawhide like the ones you loved. Those were your favorite. You would have one in your mouth when I got home from work, ready to play. I loved to play keepaway with you and you loved it, too. No one else would play because of your fierce growls. I would hold it up and ask you if you wanted it. I would say "Tell mama" and you wanted it so bad you couldn't even bark, just open your mouth. Then you would let me chase you around the house with it. You'd get in play bow position and I'd try to get it away from you. After a few "tries", I'd say "Ok, it's yours" and you'd settle down and happily chew. I'll wear this charm forever, sweet Duke, to remember you. I love you and miss you so.

http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/dukesrawhide.jpg

Please come see me any time you want. Send me reminders of you. And when the time is right, send me a special dog that you've chosen for me to help ease the pain. The house and my heart are so empty right now. I don't know how I'm going to live these next few months. Part of me died with you yesterday.

I just ordered your urn. I've had this site bookmarked for a few years now (www.adirondackpeturns.com) because they are so special. I cropped this pic. It's been one of my favorites.

http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/032505_8.jpg
I think it really shows your personality. One day soon, I'll take a trip to the dog beach to remember you.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-13-2006, 04:01 AM
I am so sorry your beloved Duke has gone. At least he is now happily playing at the Bridge and watching over you

cloverfdx
11-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Val i have been trying to find the right words all day. I am truely sorry for your loss, Duke was such a special boy i always looked forward to seeing a new thread from you about your sweet man. He will be looking down on you, thanking you for all the good times and for being one special Mama. The charm is beautiful and perfect.

Sweet dream Duke, we love you mate.

Sonia59
11-13-2006, 05:57 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Val. Your tribute to Duke and the charm are beautiful. Duke is a happy and healthy dog at the RB and he knows he will be in your heart forever.
RIP sweet Duke.
(((((Hugs)))))

joycenalex
11-13-2006, 06:23 AM
oh val, i cannot tell you how sorry i am. the only problem with loving a dog, they leave too soon and the hole in the heart can be immense. i've read your stories, laughed, cried, and rejoiced in how you both saved each other. i am so glad you found each other. ((hugs)) joyce

Sudilar
11-13-2006, 06:51 AM
((((((((((hugs)))))))))) :(

trayi52
11-13-2006, 06:51 AM
What a beautiful tribute to Duke, and the Charm was just beautiful also. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm no good with words, Val, but I really do pray that God will comfort you in the months to come until the day you can let a new dog into your heart. I know it is going to take a very special dog to fill that huge part that Duke filled, and he did fill a lot of your heart, as you filled his. He knew you loved him, and that is what matters so much.

Sending you lots of Hugs, Val. ((((((HUGS))))))
Willie

Jadapit
11-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Val, I'm really at a loss for words. I'm truly sorry about Duke. Loosing your best friend and cherished family member is never easy. Duke will forever live in your heart. The charm you picked out to honor his memory is beautiful. I wish there was something I could do to ease you pain. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

Catty1
11-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Val - I loved the rawhide memory you shared. What a Mama's boy Duke was, and so goofy running around the house with that rawhide!

I hope, when you are ready, that you can share some of your favourite memories of Duke.

I pray for easing of your pain...{{{hugs}}}

pitc9
11-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Val, I'm so sorry I didn't check in sooner...
I'm so sorry.. I wish I had words to help you heal.

Duke- You will be missed by many that never knew you, I'll be looking forward to meeting you one day at the bridge. Until then... let your mom know you're around once in a while. Help her heal... she misses you and will always love you.
RIP Sweet Duke.
{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you Val.

AdoreMyDogs
11-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I am so sorry, Val. Duke was such a precious boy. We will all miss him very much. I know your heart is broken, but time will ease the pain. You will never forget him, but you will learn to love again and you will see yourself starting to smile when you think about him. The tears will eventually be replaced by smiles.

Rest in peace sweet boy Duke. Please say hi to Graham for me. I miss him so much.

ramanth
11-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Val, I'm so sorry you had to make that decision. It's never easy or fair. :(

RIP sweet Duke. You are missed.

JenBKR
11-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I am so sorry. What a tough decision to have to make. RIP sweet Duke, play hard at the RB. We will miss you terribly! ((((hugs))))

Miss Z
11-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Duke. May he rest in peace and he will always be specially remembered throughout Pet Talk :(

micki76
11-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I didn't log on to PT at all this weekend, so I didn't know that Duke wasn't doing well.

Val, I'm so, so sorry. I know Duke was your heart dog. I know you and he saw some rough times, but know that he'll always be in your heart.

I just can't fathom your pain right now.

Glacier
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm so sorry, Val. Duke was a lucky dog to live his life with someone who loved him so deeply. I hope you will find comfort in memories of happier times with your boy.

Roxyluvsme13
11-13-2006, 04:18 PM
I just now saw this. I am so sorry. Duke was such a special guy :(.

kohala
11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
My prayer for you is that as you embrace your grief, along with your memories, Duke's spirit will ease your pain and his memories will fill your sense of loss.
The kindest gift you can give a beloved animal is to be with them as they depart this realm for adventures we can only dream of.
Peace be with you, Val,

Kohala

dukedogsmom
11-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I've been gone since this morning. Some friends and I went shopping in Orlando. We talked at her house for a while. I finally had to face the fact that it was time to go to the house. I have no home any more. It's just a cold, empty place without you. This pain is unbearable. We ate at the Cracker Barrell today and I bought a small angel beanie baby bear holding a star. It's going to hang in my car. I didn't even sleep in my bed last night. Right now, I wish I had a heart of stone, so I wouldn't feel the pain of your absence. I have a feeling your Christmas Hawaiin shirt will be there when I get to the house. You would have looked so cute in it. How I wish you didn't have to leave me.

davidpizzica
11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Val, please accept my sincerest and heartfelt thoughts and prayers on this saddest of all days.Duke was your life and now he's safe at the RB. I talked to moosmom tonight and let her know about Duke and she also sends you her heartfelt prayers and thoughts on this sad day.

lizbud
11-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Val, big (((HUGS))) to you.

chocolatepuppy
11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Val, this helped me when Mandy died...{{{hugs}}}

Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you...
I loved you so -- t'was Heaven here with you

caseysmom
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Gosh Val I can physically feel your pain, I am so worried about you. I hope your home becomes your home again, filled with the good memories. Hopefully soon you will look at a spot and remember Duke there and it will warm your heart and not break it.

When you are feeling stronger I would love to see some pictures of Duke from when you first got him. I felt this bond with Dale and it was really nice seeing his young pictures after he passed.

kt_luvs_kitties
11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Val, I am so sorry to read about Duke. I never venture in the memorial section, or the dog section much, But when I saw this my heart dropped. I know it hurts so bad, but Duke was loved so much here on earth, and I know he is playing healthy and happy at the RB, waiting for you to be with him, one day. If you need anything, Pm me. *HUGS* from Katie and kittes

RockyRoad
11-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Oh Val, I am so sorry to hear of sweet Duke's passing. I too was not here to know that he was not doing well. We have parted with our dear Lady recently, so I know how you are feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sweet Duke, may your trip to the RB have been a safe one, you will be missed so dearly.

PJ's Mom
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I know there's nothing any of us can say to make this terrible pain go away. I hope the fact that he was loved by everyone here helps a little.

Duke, watch over your mama and let her know you're still with her. Let her know that everything will be ok. She needs you right now.

RIP sweet boy. :(

tatsxxx11
11-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh Val, I can hardly type for the tears. Words cannot adequately epxress how utterly heartbroken I am to learn that your precious Duke has passed to the Bridge. :( :( :( You know, I hope you know, how much we all loved him, what a cherished member of the Pet Talk family he was and though he's gone from us in the physical form, his memory, his legacy of love will live on in all of our hearts, forever. Duke has always been one of my fave Pet Talk doggies; he was such a sweet and gentle "old" soul and the deep bond of love and friendship you two shared touched us all over the years. We all know how much he meant to you Val, he was your heart dog, your forever freind, your Duke. You were so kind to me, so caring and genuinely heartbroken during my time of loss and I want you to know how much your sincere sympathies meant to me. I want you to know that at this moment, I am feeling that same sense of heartbreak and helplessness and sadness for you, friend. I wish I could say or do something to make you feel better but I know so well, right now, time is the only true healer; time and the knowledge that others care, that one day you and Duke will be together again. Hold onto that dear friend and the many, many happy memories you hold in your heart. One of my most cherished Duke memories was of the photo shoot you shared with us not too long ago, it was of you and Duke at the beach, you brought that little Chirstmas tree with you. I will never forget those precious photos and what a very special day that was for you and for Duke. I wish I could could give you a hug Val. Please know that I'm thinking of you and Duke. He was so blessed to have a you as his Mom, his protector, his best friend. Sending you all my love and strength, friend.
Love, Sandra and Star

vinjashira
11-14-2006, 04:31 AM
I'm sorry for your loss Val :(

RIP Duke.

pitc9
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Val... I have a Statue of Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron Saint of Animals, and last night I lite a candle in front of it and told Sierra and Buddy that we were lighting it for Duke, then we said a prayer for you both.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/pb7ed8c6cff1a8a0592f8c2c781b8c27d/ec0dd6b9.jpg

dukedogsmom
11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for everyone's kind words. This is so much harder than I ever imagined. I'm giong to keep writing in here but you don't need to feel like you have to comment.

Sweet Duke,
I'm taking your bed, extra food and medicine to the Humane Society today. I know you wouldn't mind sharing with a less fortunate dog. I hope that they can find a good home like you did. Corinna's bed stays here, though. I miss you so much, I feel as if I'm going to have a broken heart forever. I'll always love you dearly. Mama misses you. I hope dad and Corinna are taking really good care of you. Tell Kammisar that, thanks to you, I now know how truly special dogs are and I look forward to giving him a big hug (after you, of course) when we meet up again.

caseysmom
11-14-2006, 09:53 AM
I know its probably much too soon Val but just walk around the humane society....just think there is some dog that really needs a home there...see if Duke guides you to that special one. I think it would be great to hear paws running through the house again and know you are helping a dog. I think back about casey and think gosh what if I didn't go to the shelter that day, I can't even imagine not finding her.

mruffruff
11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Val, I'm so sorry.

I know how much you love Duke. That will never end. He will always be with you.

He is a young man again, running and playing with the others. Take comfort in knowing he will be waiting.

Mary

blue girl
11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Val,
You don't know me, but I just read about your precious Duke and and wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as well. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you, but take each day as it comes and know in your heart that Duke will live forever in your memories.
Take care, Blue Girl

pitc9
11-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Thinking of you Val!

{hugs}

Sudilar
11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh, Val, I know how you feel. It really, really hurts. My heart goes out to you.

delidog
11-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Dearest Val.
I Just saw the Post on Your Dearest "Duke"!!
My Heart Goes Out To You and Yours!!!
I Didin't Know that Duke was Ill!!!
Val....You and Duke are in our Thoughts and Prayers!!!

Godspeed To The Rainbow Bridge,My Beautiful Friend,Duke!!!!
Scrubber & Miss Puss w/Be There to Meet You!!!!
Big Hugs For The "Duke"....And His Mommy Val!!!
I Know that You Need Hugs,Dearest Val!!!
You Have My Deepest Sympathies!!!
Nicole

sasha the cat
11-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Ohl Val, our hearts break for You. Duke was an angel, dressed up as a dog. His start in life was very tough but dear Duke knew he was Val's special gift -- the most loving, faithful and protective friend. Duke took care of Val and his pet sibsl

Such a special dog Duke was. He loved our late darling Tiggy and was our rock when Sasha was terminally ill. I really believe Murray and me survived this very hard time we had to let Tiggy cross over to Rainbow Bridge in 2000 and in 2005 when our darling girl Sasha left us.

Duke Dog was a much loved friend to many folks and petsl He was Val's kindered spirit so dear Val, take comfort that your special pet will be missed and remembered by so many.

Sasha, Tiggy, Princess, Paddy Paws, Sheba, our dogs Bobby and Chucky and so many of our special pets are there at Rainbow's Bridge -- playing together and just waiting for that special moment when we, the humans they loved, cross over to be with them for all timel

Anytime you need us Val, don't hesitate to e-mail at my Yahoo! address.

Rachel
11-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Dear Duke, I can't find words to express how much your sweet face has added to the pleasure of being here at Pet Talk. You were a good dog , Duke, and the relationship you had with Val was something to behold. Unfortunately she will miss you and grieve for you all the more because of how dear you were to her. You were one of those dogs we really seemed to get to know and we will miss you too.

Val, I do believe many of us here really do understand the hole in your heart. Sometimes it feels unbearable and that the joy of life will never be the same. Yet, somehow, some way we move on and other joys come, but never quite the same. The wounded heart will heal though. Please know that there are so many of us out here thinking about you and you have come to the right place to share your memories. :(

moosmom
11-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Val,

:(:( Please accept my sincere condolences. I am so VERY sorry! I got a phone call from Davidp the other night with the sad news. I asked him to please PM you and to let you know how sorry I was to hear about Dukie. If you ever need to talk honey, please call me. I'll PM you with my phone number again, just in case.

RIP sweet Dukie. You were a true, loyal friend who deserves to play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.

(((((HUGS)))))

Donna and furkids

tikeyas_mom
11-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I am soo sorry for your loss Val, we all loved duke. He was such a great dog. All of tyhe pics he was in, made me smile. He always had such a puppish disposition, so playful and handsome . He will be greatly missed. I send my thoughts your way. :(:(

Kfamr
11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

dukedogsmom
11-16-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm missing you so much today. When I was at the vet with you, I held you tight. I never wanted to let go. I ran my fingers through your fur, snuggled my face in it, treasuring every moment. I had my arms wrapped around your neck for the longest. It was so hard to leave you there. I left part of myself with you, I would pay all the money in the world to have you back with me. As much as I love my things, I would walk the street as a pauper if you were by my side. I love you, sweet dog. Today, the rain is falling just like my tears. I'll be glad when I can remember you with happiness.

caseysmom
11-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Still thinking of you Val. Hey Duke, I hope you see my rb gigi up there, she loved doggies, I bet she is giving you a head bumpie.

K9soul
11-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Val. Sending you warm hugs this morning. Duke touched so many hearts. He will never be forgotten, he's your angel watching over you forever.

sasha the cat
11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Dear Val,

Just a little note to tell you that I'm thinking of you very often. Thankfully we can release our most beloved pets from suffering. We were able to do that for our darling Sasha -- I wish we could have done that for my late Mother. It was in her living will but our laws in Canada, unlike Holland, do not allow us to do this.

Duke was your rock, and you his. I hope Doogie and you are comforting each other. Lucky for Duke that you found the strength years ago to protect him from abuse. Luckier for Duke that your love for him put him first and he is not suffering.

Val, please accept our deepest expression of sympathy. Words seem so inadequate when we lose our best friend -- but you know that Murray and I understand how great your loss is. We keep you in our thoughts and in our hearts, Dear Val.

xo, Susan & Murray

caseysmom
11-17-2006, 11:13 PM
My "duke" candle is burning tonight sweetie...still thinking of you and your mom...send her comfort dukie boy.

cloverfdx
11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
You have been in my thoughts often Val {{Hugs}}.

pnance
11-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Run free and happy at the bridge Duke. You will always be loved.... prayers and hugs to you Val.

Cataholic
11-18-2006, 12:54 PM
Val,
Duke was one of the first dogs I associated with PT. I always remembered your posts/pics of him, and how the love always shone through. These days will be nearly impossible, that I know. Time helps, slowly, slowly. The searing pain will be replaced with something akin to a dull ache, and, you will welcome it. The memories will add to your life now, the way Duke's physical presence did. I fully believe that we are to be reunited with our beloved pets, and surely yours will be a joyous reunion. You did the ultimate act of love. Godspeed to the bridge, Duke. You will be forever missed in our hearts. Gentle hugs to you, Val.

Johanna

dukedogsmom
11-18-2006, 02:08 PM
My Dearest, Sweetest Duke,
I still cry for you daily. I want you back in my life so badly. I knew it would be hard but I had no idea at all how nearly impossible it would be to accept that you're no longer here with me. I long for happier times that are now just memories. I long to even dream of you or you to come see me somehow. I'll always love you and never forget you, baby dog. I've been thinking a lot about you today. This time last week I was dealing with the fact that I'd have to let you go to the RB. I still haven't accepted it. I know time will ease some of the pain. I'll be glad when I can remember you without so many tears. Be safe and happy at the RB, knowing I'll always love you. Waiting unpatiently until we can be together again.
Love,
Your Mama

Uabassoon
11-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Val, I'm sending you lots of hugs. I can't even imagine how hard this is for you. I know you two shared a very special bond that most of us can only hope to share with our pets.

Doogie, please take extra special care of your mommy, she needs you right now.

caseysmom
11-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I remember feeling that way about my mother Val, I just wanted a sign or something. Maybe Duke knows you are not ready...maybe he has given you a sign and you aren't aware. I think he has from what we talked about.

dukedogsmom
11-19-2006, 07:11 AM
My Sweet Dog,
I am thinking of you today, as always. It's been a week since you've been gone but my heart still doesn't want to believe it's true. Every time I lay my head on my pillow, I'm hoping I'll dream of you. At least that way, you could still be with me. Molly is helping but there's no way she can cure all the hurt. My heart and soul will never be the same. I love you, sweet Duke. May the angels hug and kiss you for me. May you feel the love from them that you felt from me. I'm still not ready to let go of you completely. I know it will come in time but I don't want to see you gone forever from my life.
Missing You,
Mama
Going to sleep now to try and dream of you.

My song to you:

Everything I Own by Bread

You sheltered me from harm.
Kept me warm, kept me warm
You gave my life to me
Set me free, set me free
The finest years I ever knew
Were all the years I had with you

I would give anything I own,
Give up me life, my heart, my home.
I would give everything I own,
Just to have you back again.

You taught me how to love,
What its of, what its of.
You never said too much,
But still you showed the way,
And I knew from watching you.
Nobody else could ever know
The part of me that cant let go.

I would give everything I own

Is there someone you know,
Youre loving them so,
But taking them all for granted.
You may lose them one day,
Someone takes them away,
And they dont hear the words you long to say

I would give everything I own

Vermontcat
11-19-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now, I haven't been on Pet Talk in a week.
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(
I know Duke was a very special part of your life for so many years.
Sending hugs your way.

kallisto4529
11-20-2006, 01:08 AM
val,
i have not been on here in a while but i wanted to come and see duke's memorial, i knew there would be one for him. i can not begin to tell you how very sorry i am for your loss, please dont ever doubt within yourself that he knew how much he was loved and how devoted you were to him. i have never seen a more devoted mom than you!!!!!! I know the pain right now is just unbearable and i know there are really no words that will comfort you, will it ever get easier? at times yes, this christmas eve will be two years since i lost my beloved mousse, not a day goes by i dont think about him or thank God for the time i had with him, the pain will diminish and you will always have duke with you, remember what mike said about matt, "a man remembered never dies", well the same goes for duke or to anyone who has lost there furkid, you will see him again when the time is right and he will be healthy and happy.
you were so kind to me when i lost mousse when you posted a memorial here for me, i will never forget that and how much it helped. I will pray every day that you are able to find some peace that you so much deserve.
marti

K9soul
11-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Thought I would post the link to his tribute here Val (if you don't mind). Your choice in the song was perfect. I know I keep watching it myself. I'll always love your sweet Duke. I'm uploading the file so I can send it to you.

http://click.videoegg.com/video/bnpYrV

And much higher quality version here:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2714592&alb=0

Logan
11-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh Jessica, it is just wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I know Val will treasure this video memory for years to come.

You have a gift, Jess, for knowing exactly what to do and say when the rest of us are hurting. I hope we are able to give back a tenth of what you give, to you, when you need us.

Logan

slick
11-20-2006, 11:07 AM
OK Jess, I've got major, major LES going on here. :( :(

That is absolutely beautiful.
You have a gift, Jess, for knowing exactly what to do and say when the rest of us are hurting. I hope we are able to give back a tenth of what you give, to you, when you need us. Logan, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Still thinking of your Val and sending some warm, comforting {{{hugs}}} to you.

dukedogsmom
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Jess,
I will treasure that video always. I watch it every day. I miss my furry soulmate.

luvofallhorses
11-20-2006, 03:11 PM
that was beautiful, Jess. :( Val, I think about you all the time and I hope you are holding up okay. (((HUGS))) It's never easy to lose a beloved furkid. :(

caseysmom
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Major tissues needed...

caseysmom
11-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Okay sorry the last post was so short I was having major les...Jess that is just absolutely beautiful.

dukedogsmom
11-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Kay made me one, too. I hope she doesn't mind me putting it here. I will treasure them both. Very special gifts to me.
http://petevents.com/~simba/inmemoryofduke.wmv

caseysmom
11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Kay's is beautiful also...gosh I need to quit watching these at work.

K9soul
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Kay made me one, too. I hope she doesn't mind me putting it here. I will treasure them both. Very special gifts to me.
http://petevents.com/~simba/inmemoryofduke.wmv

That is absolutely beautiful. Kay did a wonderful job. How very special.

chocolatepuppy
11-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I finally got the nerve up to watch both videos. Jessica and Kay, they are both so touching. Val, you are still in my thoughts.

PJ's Mom
11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Thought I would post the link to his tribute here Val (if you don't mind). Your choice in the song was perfect. I know I keep watching it myself. I'll always love your sweet Duke. I'm uploading the file so I can send it to you.

http://click.videoegg.com/video/bnpYrV

And much higher quality version here:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2714592&alb=0

That was awesome. I'm glad I will always think of Duke when I hear that song now.

dukedogsmom
11-21-2006, 07:13 AM
My tears fall like rain.
I'll never be the same again.
That day we had to say goodbye.
Is what is making me cry.

We had a bond that nothing could break.
Which makes the separation so hard to take.
You're at the Rainbow Bridge and I here.
How I wish I could hold you near.

Turn back time to make it so.
Hug you close and never let go.
My heart breaks a little more each day.
Realising that you're away.

So, my sweet dog, until we meet again.
I'll never forget you, my best friend.
My furry soulmate sent from heaven above.
I was blessed to have your devoted love.

Love,
Mama

I've uploaded two pics that a friend of a friend from another website made for me. I am so blessed with all the friends I've had through this

Canis Amicus
11-21-2006, 07:44 AM
My heart is bronken. One of my favorites dogs here is gone.

After a long time inactive due to some changes in my life, I took a look today, and I couldn't believe.

Some of my favorites are gone, unbelievable. I look at Rex... and tears came in my eyes.

OMG Duke's mom! I can only imagine how you feel for your beloved boy.

With love.
Rosana
and Rex.
Zurich, Switzerland

king2005
11-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I just saw this.. I'm so sorry Val...

Play hard at the Bridge big guy, say hi to Max for me.

K9soul
11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
What a beautiful poem Val, heartbreaking :(. I love the pictures, especially the bridge one. He'll be waiting for you, just like that. Someday you'll be together again, never to be parted again.

pitc9
11-21-2006, 10:36 AM
I finally got the nerve up to watch both videos. Jessica and Kay, they are both so touching. Val, you are still in my thoughts.

Me too!
I have dial up at home, and knew I needed to watch them while I was at work.... but didn't want to be bawling with too many people around.
I just watched them both.... Wow.... L-E-S!
Val - You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful pup in your life like Duke!
Many {{{hugs}}} to you!
Jessica and Kay, both videos were GREAT!!

dukedogsmom
11-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I just got the message from the vet. Your ashes are there :( One more thing to make me accept you're gone.

caseysmom
11-21-2006, 03:01 PM
I just got the message from the vet. Your ashes are there :( One more thing to make me accept you're gone.

chocolatepuppy
11-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Val, I thought I would be upset when I got Mandys ashes back. As it turned out, I was so grateful to have 'her' back with me. I hope you find some peace with getting Dukes ashes back. {hugs}

pitc9
11-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Oh Val.... :(
{{hugs}}

countrycowgirl
11-22-2006, 10:33 PM
valerie I am so sorry to hear about this and I am so sorry that I am just now posting on this! I want you to know how much I adored your sweet boy and how much his pictures would make me smile! he was the first doggie that I looked at when I first joined Pet Talk...in his pictures he always looked like he was smiling... he will be GREATLY missed! ...if you need me for ANYTHING or just need to talk PLEASE pm me!!!!.....

Goodbye dear sweet Duke! I love you and hope that you are playing hard at the bridge! please tell Little Bit hey for me and that I love him....

K9soul
11-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking of you today Val.

Almita
11-24-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm thinking about you Val, i know how its like to loose a wonderful dog. (HUG)

dukedogsmom
11-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Still missing you a lot. How I would love to sing the happy dog song to you after you've gotten done eating and are having your noserubber. I'm so thankful I have that on video. I love you, sweet doggie. Please come see me sometime. Let me know you're alright.

caseysmom
11-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Still thinking of you Val, I hope you find comfort.

captain
11-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Dearest dearest Val,

I have been away for the last few weeks, and came back to PT today - to read your sad, sad, news.

My hugs to you. I know how much you loved darlin Duke. He was such a beautiful dog, had such a lovely face.
I am glad you took some pics and shared them with us - I can just see how much he was showing his love for you.

{{{hugs}}}
Michelle

chocolatepuppy
11-26-2006, 05:38 AM
You are still in my thoughts Val. I hope you are doing ok.

sabies
11-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Val, I am so sorry to hear about Duke. I know how special he was and still is to you. I know he is watching over you now.

*LabLoverKEB*
11-26-2006, 06:50 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful Duke doggy. He was such a great dog, everyone here loved him so much.
Sorry, I am very late, I must've missed this thread big time. :( :( :(

dukedogsmom
11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
My sweet Duke. I'm missing you so much. Tears still come in an instant and my heart hurts so much from you being taken from me. Your mama loves you so much. I wish you were still here with me. It's not going to be Christmas without you.

chocolatepuppy
11-28-2006, 04:09 PM
{{{hugs}}} Val. Duke will be looking down on you this Christmas. He will always be a part of you. He is there with you in spirit, a part of your very soul, something no one can take away from you.

beeniesmom
11-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I am so sorry.

sumbirdy
11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I am sitting here in tears. I don't know what to say. What does someone say to something like this? I am so sorry.

caseysmom
12-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Still thinking about you Duke and worried about your Mom...

Valerie I saw this poem, it reminded me of you...

From the silence of your pain I heard my name
and on the wings of light I have come
to see the sadness in your eyes
that cry without tears

Can you see me, I am here
I will always be near you
to calm your shattered heart
and to make you smile at the memories

Do you feel me, perhaps a soft brush of fur
You ache to believe it's real
but you are afraid to hope
You brush away a strand of hair
But it was I, whispering.....

I am only here for but a moment
The silver thread gently quivers
I will leave behind my love in a dream
When you awaken, and without really knowing why

Your heart will know at last
That it is all right, for now
to say good-bye

dukedogsmom
12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I just wish my heart would get the message. Of course, this made me cry. I haven't even vacuumed out the back seat of my car yet because his hairs are still there. It's been almost three weeks and I still feel as if it was just yesterday that he left me :(

caseysmom
12-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I am sorry Val I didn't mean to make you cry...don't vacuum the car the heck with it...go back there and sit and cry if you need to. Strength isn't all its cracked up to be.

dukedogsmom
12-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I had to come to the post office to pick up an insured package. It was your urn. The people told me they would email me before it was sent. They didn't. So I wasn't expecting it to be from them. I started crying before I even got out when I saw who sent it. Now, I sit in my car sobbing. They did such a great job on painting you. Mom had that vision of you welcoming Beauregard to the RB. I asked her why couldn't it have been me? I want to see you again so badly. I miss you so much.

sandragonfly
12-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I was afraid to read this thread, I knew how much he meant to you and how you always dread of his life nearly ended. sorry I didn't post in this sooner but know I have been thinking of you at times and times.. I just don't have words still, val. only ((((big humpback gentle hugs)))) to give. :)

sleep sweetly, dearest duke, I know you have been looking down at and saving a seat for your torn mom up there - but down here, I hope you will fill her heart with some signs soon - she misses you so much. rest in peace, old man.

dukedogsmom
12-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Here's your urn. I'm so glad I have something so special for such a special dog's final resting place. I'll keep you with me always.
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/rbdukeurn.jpg

Vela
12-02-2006, 05:15 PM
It's a beautiful urn, they did a wonderful job. I know it still hurts every day, and there is no comfort yet, but honestly, I can see the light in his eyes in that painting they did of him and he is watching over you with all the love he always had when he was here.

Daisy and Delilah
12-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Every time I read this thread I sit here sobbing, Val. What a special boy he was and such a wonderful part of your life. I know how hard it is for you to miss him so badly and there's nothing you can do about it. Who would ever imagine that your heart could ache so bad?

His urn is beautiful. They've done a miraculous job on it. It looks so much like him. It's one of the most incredible and fitting tributes I've ever seen.

I know Duke is smiling on you and feeling like a new man. Bless you, Val.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

luvofallhorses
12-02-2006, 09:40 PM
they did a wonderful job on the urn, Val! I think about you all the time. please take care of yourself. ((((HUGS))))

Alysser
12-03-2006, 05:18 PM
That's very pretty. It looks exactly like him!

((Hugs)),
still thinking of you.

dukedogsmom
12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
I leave the house a lot these days. I'm out now. It's just too empty without you. I went to the SPCA yesterday and visited with some of the dogs. That made my heart lighter for a while. But now, all it feels is your absence. I wish I could make peace about you being gone. I feel as if my tears will never stop. I miss you, sweet doggie.

beeniesmom
12-07-2006, 10:43 AM
so sorry
tears :''''(

caseysmom
12-07-2006, 12:31 PM
{{hugs}}

Logan
12-07-2006, 04:23 PM
This has been a horrible time for you, Val. Duke's urn is just gorgeous.

I haven't been brave enough to bring out the beautiful wooden boxes that my Zipper, Murphy and Mimi are secured in. They are sitting safely in a closet, right now, all together. But we don't have their beautiful faces to look at, either.

Today was one year since our Murphy left us. I'm having a little problem with that memory, but I know that sweet girl is where she needed to be. I haven't even mentioned it to Scott (he is away). Wonder if he realizes the significance of today? :(

Logan

kallisto4529
12-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Val, I just saw the post with Duke's Urn, it is simply just beautiful, what a wonderful way to have him with you always.

cloverfdx
12-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Val {{Hugs}}.. Dukes urn is beautiful. I often think of how you and your sweet boy.

My Peanuts
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
OMG! :(

I haven't been on PT much and I completely missed this. I'm so sorry Val. I'm sitting here at work in tears. I really don't know what to say. I will miss Duke very much even though I never physically met him. :(

:( RIP Duke :(

dukedogsmom
12-09-2006, 11:43 AM
My Dearest Duke,
A month ago today, I was trying to deal with the fact that I had to let you go. Spent that Saturday just laying with you, stroking your fur, telling you it was alright, that I was there for you when you started coughing. If I could have stopped time that day, I would have. There was never a good time to let you go. My heart still misses you so very much. I'm crying again because of your absence. I know you must have led me to Dasher. He really needs me right now. He's going to help my heart heal and I hope he heals from his illness, as well. He was so very sad when I first saw him. He's like a different dog now since he's away from the kennels.Even if he doesn't make it through the treatments, he will know what it was like to be cherished. Know that I will always hold a place in my heart just for you. You were my heart dog, my furry soulmate. Part of me will always long to be with you and see you again. I know you don't want me to feel guilty about feeling some happiness. Just remember that you will always be loved and remembered by me. You took part of me with you when you left. Keep it safe until we meet again, sweet doggie. Mama misses you so much.

Dorothy39
12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
My Dearest Duke,
I know you don't want me to feel guilty about feeling some happiness. Just remember that you will always be loved and remembered by me. You took part of me with you when you left. Keep it safe until we meet again, sweet doggie. Mama misses you so much.

The LOVE that you feel for your DUKE, led you to Dasher~

That is how strong of a bond you actually had with him, and it will never, ever be severed~

Your love for Duke will grow and re-blossem over and over.

He still IS , your "Heart" Dog~ And when you look at Dasher, the love you feel for Duke is renewed, and shared once again. Only now, it's a Dasher Love!!! :cool: What a Gift, huh!!!

{{{HUGS}}} To You!!!

chocolatepuppy
12-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Know that I will always hold a place in my heart just for you.
I know all too well that guilty feeling of being happy with a new pup after losing one. Duke wouldn't want you to be alone Val. He would want you to have another dog to love and to keep you company. And yes there is a special place in your heart that will always belong to Duke. But our hearts are big enough to love another and give them a place in our hearts without giving up that special place for the other.
I know you must still be hurting so much for Duke. Please know I'm thinking of you. {hugs}

caseysmom
12-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Mandy and Duke are looking down from the bridge and are relieved...they don't want you to suffer.

Duke, I was getting worried about your Mom...thank you for guiding her to Dasher.

dukedogsmom
12-18-2006, 07:03 AM
My sweet dog. I'm missing you so much today. I have your dog bed in front of the window where you loved to lie for hours. I keep hoping to see you there. Sometimes I forget and look for you when I get home in the morning :( Then I remember. Every tear that falls is a reminder of you and how special you still are to me. As Christmas grows closer, I'm dreading it. I'm very thankful for Dasher. His goofiness makes me smile. I thank you for sending him to me. But, he's yet another reminder that you're no longer here and that kills me.

Linda York
12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I am sorry, I just read about Duke. For the years I have been coming this site, I always read your posts and looked at your pix of Duke. I felt like I knew you both. I am so very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. Please find some peace in knowing that he is no longer in pain, and is happy running healthy and free in the green grass at RB. I hope with every day that your pain lightens and you are filled with happy wonderful memories of your happy days with Duke. He had a wonderful life with you. You were very lucky to have each other.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

chocolatepuppy
12-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Val, I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Please give Dasher a big hug for me.

Dorothy39
12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Val,

I'm keeping so many Pet Talk Members in my thoughts during this Christmas Season!!

Yes, You are one of them~Among so many others on this MemorialThread :o

Dasher is not a *replacement* Val~More so, Dasher represents your continuious *LOVE* that you hold in your heart for an animal~

I do understand the "reminder" that you feel right now~

I am reaching out, in cyberspace now, reminding you of how Duke made you feel~ He gave you the gift of PURE LOVE, and you will never forget that feeling, never~Duke will never leave you, in spirit~

So, Share that gift with Dasher, in Dukes Honor~

And Please, Give Dasher a Warm Hug for Me too~ :o

dukedogsmom
12-23-2006, 06:39 AM
Painfully missing you right now :(

chocolatepuppy
12-23-2006, 07:50 PM
I feel your pain Val. :( We'll all make it through this.{hugs}

dukedogsmom
12-25-2006, 07:59 AM
My dearest Duke,
It's Christmas morning and I'm missing you so much. I don't feel whole without you. Words can't describe how I feel. I hope you and all our RB special ones have a beautiful tree. Your present is part of my heart, which you took when you left me. One day, you can open it and we will be reunited. Until then, I can only hope to dream of you. I miss you so much, sweet doggie. *tears* :(
ETA: Just got done making my coffee. I keep it in the freezer because I don't make it a lot at home. I scooped it out and in the scoop was one of your hairs. I didn't want to turn it lose. I'm so glad I got a sign from you. I still hope to see you one day.

sabies
12-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Still thinking of you Duke!

dukedogsmom
12-31-2006, 06:23 AM
My sweet dog,
The year is almost gone. While others are celebrating a new year, I'll still be saying goodbye to you, I wish when the year left, so would the pain of missing you. You're always on my mind and in my heart. I miss you :(

chocolatepuppy
12-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Val, yes the pain of losing Duke will still be with you into the new year. :( But hopefully as time passes, only good memories of Duke will shine through.
I hope your year in 2007 is a much better one, I know you had a really bad year. {hugs}

kohala
12-31-2006, 07:09 PM
I know the feeling, dear heart - or how I felt, I should say - and I know how hard it has been for you. After the winter of your loss has passed, I hope the spring of renewal and the discovery of what was most precious in Duke will be found for you in a needing puppy's eyes.
It took me almost two and a half years, so I DO understand about holding on to and being held by dear ones memories, believe me.
God bless you and have a quiet, reflective and healing New Year's Eve.

From Ko and Spencer

lisalee
01-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I cannot begin to tell you how sorry I am. I haven't been on Pet Talk a lot lately and don't visit the memorial forums often, but I'm so sorry to hear you lossed your soul mate Duke. I know how hard this must be for you, I hope in time things will get brighter for you and you will remember the happier times with Duke. I know he's happily watching over you know and just wanting you to be happy.

tatsxxx11
01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
We all love and miss you, Duke:( Keeping you and your Mom in my thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time:(

{{{HUGS}}}

wolfie
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I cried when I saw this thread. I am so sorry Val. I haven't been on PT in a year, but Duke was one of my favorite dogs, and I thought of him often. I saved the christmas card you sent us, it was my favorite that I have ever gotten. He was such an amazing dog.

*hugs* to you Val
-Rachel

dukedogsmom
01-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm burning your candle for the first time tonight. Angie, thanks so much for lighting your St Francis one for Duke and for helping me find the statue, also.

I actually went the past two days without crying for you but tonight I'm making up for it. It's been almost two months since you left me and it still hurts so much. The only thing I'm thankful for is that it's now not a constant pain. My heart hurts from your absence. I know I've said it so many times but I'll never be me without you. I miss you, sweet Duke. I miss saying your name, seeing and hearing how happy you were to go for rides. Stay safe at the RB and wait for me, ok? I hope the time doesn't seem as long to you as it does to me.

http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/011007_1.jpg

dukedogsmom
01-24-2007, 01:11 PM
As I was waking up, I felt your presence beside me. I saw the black fur of your back. It wasn't Dasher. He was at the foot of the bed. Some will say I was dreaming because my eyes were closed but I know it was real. It was just a few fleeting seconds. You left as soon as I reached out to touch you. You know how much it means to me and I thank you. I miss you. It's been harder to push my grief aside to make room in my heart for Dasher but I'm trying hard now. You did, and still do, take up a huge part of it.

angelchampy
01-24-2007, 02:28 PM
It's been 10 months since my Sherry left me, 15 months since my Baby left me and today is the anniversary of my Champagne leaving me 5 years ago. My Brandy has been gone since '92. I still cry at least once a day. It doesn't get easier, just more depressing. Each one used to visit me until about 8 months after their passing, then I didn't get any signs anymore. I don't know why that happens. It's terrible because it's more final then. At least when I felt their presence, it wasn't so final. Now it is. Bowls, beds and outfits are still out. I can't get myself to put them away. I wish for your pain to go away, like all of ours that have lost. Even 5 years later, it hurts to think of my Champy. I know we should treasure the good times, but it's so lonely without them. There is a huge void in my life that nothing can fill. I wish you and me peace.

chocolatepuppy
01-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Some will say I was dreaming

Well Val, I won't say that because like I told you before, I saw Mandy one night in my room. I told you Duke would send you signs. :) It is still very hard, isn't it? It is for me and it's been quite a while since Mandy died. Thank God we have the memories...

caseysmom
01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh Val I am so happy Duke came to see you, what a sweet boy coming to check on mama and reassure you.

dukedogsmom
02-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I just got through buying a Valentine bear to do Dasher's pictures. I was driving along and just started sobbing. It hit me hard that there won't be any more photoshoots with you. That and the fact that I'm running out of room on my camera card because I don't want to remove you from it. All these things that will take me further from you. It's sometimes just too hard to handle.

joanofark
02-03-2007, 06:14 PM
I haven't been around PT lately.
And I just saw this.
I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking to read this. :(
I don't know what I'll do once my Duke passes on.
My thoughts are with you...
RIP Duke...

dukedogsmom
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Thinking of you today. Happy Valentine's Day to you and all our RB dogs. I miss you, sweet boy.

dukedogsmom
03-07-2007, 06:44 AM
You've been on my mind the last few days. Dasher has been laying just like you used to. You know, with your head rested on the window ledge? That's how he greeted me this morning. I like to think it's you letting me know you're ok. It just hurts because as the time passes, I feel you getting further and further from me :(

cloverfdx
03-07-2007, 06:50 AM
{{Hugs}} For you Val, you are often in my thoughts.

Sudilar
03-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Ya know, Val, I can really empathize with you. I still can't get over the loss of Shiloh. All the others I loved dearly, but understood that they had to go, but Shiloh..........I just can't get over. I think of her all the time and feel that she still should have been with me. Our time together was way too short and I counted on her to be my strength. That two week bladder cancer/lymphoma was way too fast. I wouldn't have wanted her to suffer, but if only the med would have worked to at least give me a few more months with her.........
My heart goes out to you. Know that Duke is always with you in your heart. Sometimes he will let you know he is there...just the way he did now.
Big, big hugs.

dukedogsmom
03-16-2007, 04:19 PM
I dreamed of you a few nights ago. I dreamed you were back with me. I was wondering what to do with Dasher but knew I would keep him, too. My heart wants what the world can no longer provide. I miss you :( It's been four months now and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you.

Sudilar
03-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Hugs....I know how you feel. Duke is right with you now. He told you so in your dream. Dasher is there to help you. Duke sent him to you. Hold and hug and cry into Dasher's fur. Dasher will understand... My heart goes out to you.

dukedogsmom
04-03-2007, 04:25 PM
My dearest dog. The birthday I gave you, April 5th, will come while I'm at work so I wanted to put this up now. I'm so mad at myself for forgetting it last year. I never dreamed it would be your last. I miss you so much, words can't explain. But my tears now, can. I hope all the RB dogs give you a wonderful party. Is there a dog beach there? I hope so. I've always loved this pic of you for your 12th birthday. If only I could hug you again. You're always in my heart and on my mind. I miss you terribly. Until we meet again, sweet Duke.
Love,
Mama
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/happy12th.jpg

chocolatepuppy
04-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Val, I'm sure the RB dogs will have a grand birthday party for Duke. My Mandy loved parties, maybe she is getting things ready right now. I'm sure too that there is a dog beach at the RB.
I know this week will be especially hard for you. :( PM me anytime. {hugs}

luvofallhorses
04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
(((hugs)))

captain
04-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Val,
I am certain all the doggies are on the beach with Duke, having a blast.
He is looking down at you - and knows that you are thinking of him on this special day, and every day.

{{{hugs}}}

K9karen
04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Val.. for sure Duke is partying with Cody and friends! Of course there's a beach (and snow so I'm told) so Duke is romping like a kid, having a blast! Happy Birthday, Duke! With tons of love from Aunt K9 and your honey girl, Klo.

anna_66
04-04-2007, 07:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/HugsThanks/HUGSTWIST.gif

dukedogsmom
04-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks so much ya'll. I'm feeling a little better and let me tell you why. Not too long into the work night, there was an officer on a traffic stop. When we put them on the vehicle stop, it automatically runs the tag. That tells us what kind of car the tag should be on, who it's registered to and where they live. When I'm not really busy, I often check the call history of the address that's on the registration. In the history under the name, was a person with the last name of Duke. I can't say the first name here but the way it read, first name last, was one of the nicknames I had been calling Duke almost his whole life. It was only missing one letter in the middle. Now if that's not a sign, I don't know what is. I thought it was really special. I wish I had printed it out. Tonight, I will.

chocolatepuppy
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I told you Duke would send you signs. ;)

sisterdog
04-04-2007, 10:22 PM
What a wonderful sign! I'm sure Duke is having a fine birthday celebration with his RB pals. I know my Rose is right there - she knows her way around those birthday desserts, for sure.

dukedogsmom
05-13-2007, 07:26 AM
My sweet dog. Today, Mother's day, makes it six months without you. They've been the hardest six months of my life. How I wish I was still your mama. My heart is forever broken from having to say goodbye to you. I thank you for sending me little signs. Like a few weeks ago when I was showing my supervisor a picture of Dasher on her computer. There was a popup with Duke in big letters. How I miss you. You're always not far from my thoughts and forever in my heart.

cloverfdx
05-13-2007, 08:07 AM
{{Hugs}} For you Val.

caseysmom
05-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Oh Val I am so sorry it still hurts so much. You are still Duke's mama and always will be, {{hugs}}.

dukedogsmom
06-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh Duke. I was doing some cleaning last night. Going through old cards and photos. Between the card from dad and the one from you with your paw traced on it, it was too much. All those photos of you frozen in time. How I wish there could be more.

I thank you for leading me to Dasher. He's got some impossible paws to fill but like my mom says, he's really trying. He's becoming more special to me every day. Last night, for the first time, I put down your favorite blanket and he slept on it, as he is now. I love how his face lights up when I get home. He's really become a happy dog and I'm so thankful. He and I really needed each other.

It still hurts so much to be without you. Not a day goes by that you're not on my mind. Part of me will always be empty because you're not with me. I miss you :(

dukedogsmom
07-01-2007, 06:16 AM
:( I miss you. I feel as if I'm going to die of a broken heart :(

Whisk_Luva
07-01-2007, 06:26 AM
:( I miss you. I feel as if I'm going to die of a broken heart :(

Awwww! *Eyes watering* :(

Remember he isnt gone! He is with you every day.

Anyway he wouldnt want you to feel sad... he would want you to think of the good times together and for you to be happy.

cloverfdx
07-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh Val i wish i was able to come on over there and give you a huge hug :(.

I think of you often special Duke, and your Mama too.

Sudilar
07-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Val, I know how you feel. I have been there and still get those feelings (actually just yesterday).
Hang in there. Duke is patiently watching over you and he did send you Dasher to keep you busy. Big hugs to you and Dasher.

luvofallhorses
07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
((((((((hugs)))))))))

sisterdog
07-01-2007, 03:56 PM
(((hugs)))

Val,
I know how hard it is. I still tear up sometimes thinking of Rose. But the other girls, Checotah and Miss Brown are there for me, and my sweet new pup Ranger, just as Dasher is there for you. Remember the good times with Duke, and give Dasher a big hug and try to let the sadness fade away. Dasher is there for you now and will be a heart healer. Dogs know.

cyber-sibes
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
:( I miss you. I feel as if I'm going to die of a broken heart :( :( LES (((((hugs))))) me too.

dukedogsmom
07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
:( LES (((((hugs))))) me too.
Bless you as I do know your pain. It brought back a little of mine, too, because Duke had lung cancer, as well. I wish I could tell you it gets easier. If it does, I'm not to that point yet. I'm sure Duke and all our other RB dogs are giving Sherman a great welcome party right now. Wish I could do more for you.

dukedogsmom
07-31-2007, 01:24 AM
:( I know I should be no tears on my birthay. I was on another forum telling someone that you'd make sure their dog would find her way to the RB and the tears came from nowhere, almost as hard as they did when I first lost you. Have a party there too, ok? I miss you.

cassiesmom
07-31-2007, 01:05 PM
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

dukedogsmom
08-18-2007, 09:32 PM
This morning I told Dasher he was the best dog in the world after he had posed cute for a picture. After I said it I felt sad and a little guilty. I rephrased it and said in this world. This afternoon I was telling a friend about it and burst into tears. I miss you so much. The other morning when I got home from work, Dasher was laying just like you used to do, with his paw on the ledge and his head resting on it, looking out the window. Did you tell him that? He's also started "popping wheelies" at the front door when I'm getting ready to take him to potty. I'd like to think they're signs from you. As I lie here in bed with Dasher's head resting on my hip, tears fall for you. Thank you for sending him to me. He's such a sweet dog. He's a cuddlebug and makes it known he's glad I'm his mama now. Till we meet again, dear dog.....

dukedogsmom
09-01-2007, 05:20 AM
I was cleaning out my emails and found this poem. I've kept it since I found it in November 2004, two years before I had to say goodbye to my dear dog. I was going to wait on posting it but thought I might forget about it. I saved it because it expresses how I, and probably others, feel about our heart dogs. My locket is the bracelet I made from one of his old collars. I wear it always, along with an old tag and a silver heart.

OLD DOG IN A LOCKET

Old dog in a locket
That lies next to my heart
I will always love you
As I did right from the start.
You were right beside me
Through the darkest of my days
It was your kind and gentle nature
That made me want to stay.
Now I hold you in my arms
Your breath still warm against my hand
Our hearts still beat together
And I wonder if you understand.
Through the hours that I held you
Before the light did leave your soul
I knew a way to keep you
Forever in my hold.
I snipped the hair from around your eyes
So I would always see
The beauty that surrounds me
Even in times of need.
I snipped the hair from around your ears
So I would always hear
Music in the distance
To quiet any fears.
I snipped the hair from across your back
To bring me strength in times of need
And the power of your essence
Would always be with me.
I snipped the hair from around your heart
That beats in time with mine
So I would know that love would find me
At some distant time.
And so, your life slipped out of mine
On a quiet, spring-like day
But I knew that part of you
Was always hear to stay.
Old dog in a locket
That lays next to my heart
I will always love you
Even though we had to part.
Anonymous

Catty1
09-01-2007, 07:36 PM
I was looking through Pet Poems, and found this Last Will and Testament of Eugene O'Neill's dog, Blemie! Parts of it - I thought of you and Duke...and it is not without a slight humour. I hope you like it.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/lastwill.htm

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF AN EXTREMELY DISTINGUISHED DOG

by Eugene O'Neill

I, SILVERDENE EMBLEM O'NEILL (familiarly known to my family, friends, and acquaintances as Blemie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. He will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in his loneliness, he will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask him then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master and Mistress, who I know will mourn me most, to Freeman who has been so good to me, to Cyn and Roy and Willie and Naomi and -- But if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely lovable dog.

I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain. Let them remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to their love and care for me), now that I have grown blind and deaf and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those my fellow Dalmatians who are devote Mohammedans, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris [lovely nymphs], beautifully spotted; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master and Mistress.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. I have heard my Mistress say, "When Blemie dies we must never have another dog. I love him so much I could never love another one." Now I would ask her, for love of me, to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have a dog again. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good (and one cat, the black one I have permitted to share the living room rug during the evenings, whose affection I have tolerated in a kindly spirit, and in rare sentimental moods, even reciprocated a trifle). Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Dalmatians, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Dalmatian as my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To him I bequeath my collar and leash and my overcoat and raincoat, made to order in 1929 at Hermes in Paris. He can never wear them with the distinction I did, walking around the Place Vendome, or later along Park Avenue, all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure he will do his utmost not to appear a mere gauche provincial dog. Here on the ranch, he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. He will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years.

And for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved". No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

dukedogsmom
09-01-2007, 07:54 PM
That was really beautiful. Made me cry like a baby, though. I think it's going to take years for it not to hurt so badly. It's like a piece of me has been lost, never to be found again.

Catty1
09-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Sweetie - didn't mean to make you cry. I did smile at the part where Blemie is telling his owners exactly WHAT the next dog should be like...which made me think that Duke was right fussy about who your next companion should be too!

"What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a dog!"

"...my successor. He can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and handsome as I was in my prime. My Master and Mistress must not ask the impossible. But he will do his best, I am sure, and even his inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green...he may prove himself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects...And for all his faults, I hereby wish him the happiness I know will be his in my old home."

If you can see the self-pride in the words above...I hope you can smile.

HUGS!

Dorothy39
09-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh Gee, Val~ (sniff, sniff) Bless all who Mourn~

Rest assure that Duke will never leave your side, not even in Death.

Thank-You again for the lovely poem and for sharing Duke ~ Thank-You Catty 1 for "The Last Will and Testiment of Extremely Distinguished Dog.

~sighs~ :o

chocolatepuppy
09-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Val, that poem,' OLD DOG IN A LOCKET' is so touching. I have some of Mandy's hair. I could do that. Now I just need a locket. I have one on a bracelet but would like it near my heart.
I know you still hurt terribly and miss Duke so much. :( I know the feeling. {hugs}

dukedogsmom
10-26-2007, 06:30 AM
I want to be able to remember you without tears and so much pain :( I wrote this a few weeks ago. I miss you.

Just below the surface
The tears are always there
Just the mention of your name can
Make them reappear
Even after all this time,
My heartache feels so new
I always said I'd be lost without you
And now I find it's true
I look for you in rainbows
And even in my dreams
We'll be apart forever, it seems
You were my soulmate
And it hurts like hell
Will I get over losing you?
Only time will tell

loveallfurryfriends
10-26-2007, 07:38 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. Remember that you will see him again one day. RIP Duke

kimlovescats
10-26-2007, 10:10 AM
What a beautiful and soul-felt poem. I know the loss you feel and it never truly goes away! :(

Hugs,
Kim

Dorothy39
10-28-2007, 01:40 AM
I know about your pain~and tears taste so darned salty and bitter, tis better to recall the LOVE and to taste the sweetness of that time ~ Ohhhh, such sweetness~ Keep him forever in your Heart, Duke wants it that way~ He's a Keeper~

dukedogsmom
11-10-2007, 09:52 PM
My Dearest Dog,
This time last year, I was on the floor beside you, trying to take in every moment with you. Knowing the next day I would have to say goodbye. The tears fall now, just as they did then. A part of my heart will always ache from that goodbye. It hurts so much to have the bond weakened. But it will never be broken. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you. You were, and always will be, my heart dog. I'll never forget you. I miss you :(
www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/032505_10.jpg
Love,
Mama

chocolatepuppy
11-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Val, many {{{hugs}}} to you. I will have you in my thoughts today. I know it is hard, even still. :( One day, we will see our babies again ...

Dorothy39
11-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh Val~( sniff, sniff) The Bond you have with Duke has not weakened at all~even though a portion of your heart still aches when remembering that moment of Sweet Surrender. That Bond is as strong as Iron now, Duke will always be a lasting fiber within your tremendous Character~ That is the gift he left for you. :o

(((HUGS)))