PDA

View Full Version : Dog "rescue"?

Giselle
11-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I recently came across a "rescue", but it seems more like a money making scheme than a genuine desire to help homeless animals. This "rescue group" claims to help needy dogs but I found a link on their website that takes you to a breeder's website. I was about to send a letter to the "rescue group" when I noticed that the "rescue group" and this breeder were the one and the same! Now, if this breeder were seemingly reputable, I wouldn't say anything.

However, what I saw screamed of BYB. They used "AKC-registered" as a selling gimmick. They bred 4 breeds of dogs *continually* and they proudly claimed that they always have puppies available and that they're willing to ship worldwide. Finally, I saw that they sold a tiny 1.5 lb puppy for $2,000 whereas another larger puppy sold for $800. If that isn't BYB, frankly, I don't know what is!

But how would you feel when you know that this same person supposedly "rescues" dogs and is a non-profit corporation? This is frustrating me =/

CathyBogart
11-11-2006, 08:56 PM
It depends. One of my friends breeds dogs, but also participates in rescue of the same breed. This does not mean that she breeds her rescue dogs, or anything like that.

This person you came across sounds wholly irresponsible though, and it would be a crying shame if they are using their "rescues" to try and turn a profit.

Karen
11-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Are they a 501 (c)3 registered nonprofit? Have you checked the Better Business Bureau for their area?

Husky15
11-11-2006, 10:19 PM
It depends. One of my friends breeds dogs, but also participates in rescue of the same breed. This does not mean that she breeds her rescue dogs, or anything like that.

This person you came across sounds wholly irresponsible though, and it would be a crying shame if they are using their "rescues" to try and turn a profit.

Agreed.

Giselle
11-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Are they a 501 (c)3 registered nonprofit? Have you checked the Better Business Bureau for their area?
Yep and not yet, but that sounds like a good idea. I'll go check right now..

ETA: I can't find anything relating to this place. Does that mean anything? =/

Catty1
11-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I'd certainly report this to whoever you can...maybe ask your local Humane who looks after such things!