PDA

View Full Version : Sat. night ear problem - any ideas?

cyber-sibes
11-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Somethings going on with Sherman - he's been a couch potato all evening, went out, came back in and now he's shaking his head every minute or so. Then sits & scratching his ear. I've massaged it several times, & there are no signs of infection. He just shakes it, not alot, but a few times. I'm worried he has something in there. Of course it's Saturday night and our vet's gone till Monday.

I looked it up on the internet, not finding much except to wash it out. if it is a bug, would that just wash it down deeper? Any ideas?

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Poor Sherm! :(

The Mutts all do the ole Ear Shake to Worry Dad every so often ...
then quit it about as quickly as they started.

Do you have a small PenLight Flashlight?
Husky ears are like a deep, dark, cavern - a lil light on the subject might help
find a wayward critter or foreigh object.

I'd be careful trying to feel around or probe the ear - you might push something farther down
and make matters worse.

Ask him to Stand on his Head for a while - it might fall out. :rolleyes:
Good Luck!
Feel Better, Sherman.

;)

cyber-sibes
11-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Ask him to Stand on his Head for a while - it might fall out. :rolleyes:;) :eek: :confused: :D
I'm looking for a flashlight. He's Mr. Picky Ears anyway, so I know it has to be really bothering him to let me rub his ears so much. now...back to the flashlight search - I know I've got one here somewhere.

wolf_Q
11-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Nebo does that every now and then. He'll shake his head a bit, scratch at one ear, then hold that ear funny. I always look in there and it looks perfectly fine, his ears have never even been dirty. In an hour or so he has stopped doing it and is fine. He has done this several times and I have never figured out why, it is not often though. I hope it is the same for Sherman. The only thing I could think of is if maybe a foxtail or some type of weed got in his ear, or maybe a bug (tick?).

Husky_mom
11-11-2006, 06:53 PM
maybe the wash with a little soap, just a little not to irritate and let him shake......I think itīll work and make it go.......IF it is a thing or bug (it should slip out)

borzoimom
11-12-2006, 06:32 AM
cyber- If the dog is also tilting his head, its in the canal- if the ear is just more sideways- its on the tip of the ear.
See if the ear is clean. You are looking for black dirt particles ( ear infection of maybe even mites). If the ear is clean, you can get a little hydrogen peroxide and put some on a paper towel, and wipe only to where you can see, clean the ear. This will also soothe if its a bug bite.
I suspect its on the outside of the ear. The reason I say this is that if it was inside, you would also see the dog trying to rub his ear with his paw. ..
HOw are things this morning?

cyber-sibes
11-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks everybody. He seems fine today. He shook his head all evening, I massaged his ears quite a bit, it seemed to help. Amy, he did what Nebo did - kept his one ear out straight, I was worried because it seemed to affect his balance and he was snarling at Star, too, but he seems fine today. There's no fleas or ticks around, but seeds from plants are all over the place, being fall. He runs into things off and on, so maybe that was it. Thanks for your replies, though, I was really worried about my shy boy last night.

borzoimom
11-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't blame you at all.. I would have been too!

lv4dogs
11-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Glad to hear he's doing better today. Hope it was just some dust or the like & he has no future problems.

I looked it up on the internet, not finding much except to wash it out. if it is a bug, would that just wash it down deeper? Any ideas?

Actually, unless the bug is attached (like a tick actually sucking from him) or actually lodged in his ear drum flushing the ear out will help flush the bug out. But flushing the ear is different from just cleaning them, you literally want to flush the ears out, which usually requires a lot of ear cleaner & a bathtub. lol But even if the bug was lodged or stuck, flushing normally won't make it any worse.
For future refferences though I also usually let me dogs go a day or so itching or shaking their ears (doesn't happen often though) before I do anything about it. Unless of course they are really irritating the ear then I start treatment right away to help prevent an ear hematoma.