PDA

View Full Version : Tiki lost 2 of his 9 lives, he's ok so far though

lv4dogs
11-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Tiki went missing all weekend last weekend which is so NOT like him. He usually returns home multiple times a day & always sleeps inside. I knew something was wrong come Sat morning. I spent most of my weekend searching for him to no avail. It was monday morning, I was on my way out the door to go to work when he came trotting up the steps. He seemed ok at first, tired & hungry but ok. I picked him up to say hi when right then & there I knew something was majorly wrong. His meow was very rattly & liquid sounding, and the fur on his underside was all caked with something, I turned him over noticing part of his one side was the same way. We walked into the light & I found it to be all dried blood. Thank god I work for a vets office I thought, I just rushed him right to work with me. I set him down so I could grab his carrier. he tried to jump up to his food dish but he couldn't.
I get him to work, he shaved him all down & found 2 major puncture wounds, one was scary, it was deep and right where his lungs are as well as many bruises. So off to the x-ray room we go before we explore the wounds. Thank god we did, we found that one of his lungs was punctured. This turned into a very lenghtly & delicate procedure requiring every single staff member to assist with the surgery. After 1.5 hours and many x-rays later we had him sewed up good, the hole in his lungs was closed.

The vets are amazed that he lived through the weekend (the would was 1-2 days old) and then again, we almost lost him a couple times on the operating table when we were trying to close up the hole in his lungs. Just a few seconds without anything on the whole to close it up would send him to deaths door step. I thought for sure multiple times that he was going to join Nanook in the heavens above. Everyone says he is one of the luckiest cats alive.

He's now content, or as content as he can be confined to the spare bedroom. lol
He has a cone on since he likes to chew at the sutures on his side (which is the most important ones NOT to chew). He's still on pain meds (which makes him a happy purring machine) and he'll be on antibiotics for about 2-3 more weeks, depending on his progress.

We are not sure what caused it. It is not a cat or the like, the wounds are too big. It is unlikely but not impossible for it to be from a dog, coyote or the like (because there are only 2 puncture wounds placed where they are there would most likely be more wounds from the teeth) it could be from a stick or piece of metal (again weird that they would puncture him where they did). We think most likely it was big bird of some sorts, an owl, big eagle or hawk or the like.

We are certain that the wound happened while in movement (because of the bruising & the fact that he lived). Therefore when what ever it was that entered the skin, it changed direction right after it started to puncture the skin, therefore the tissue/muscle/lining went back into it's normal position causing it to cover the hole to his lungs. They still don't believe he lived all weekend like that.

He's not out of the woods yet but we are almost certain he should have no problems. He sure is one lucky cat.

Karen
11-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Good gracious! How scary, thank goodness you do work for the vet's ofice now, and he was able to be helped!

Catty1
11-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh, poor Tiki! How scary! I am so glad he is ok now - and happily purring away on pain meds! :)

Any chance of making him an indoor baby? I know if it were me, I'd be scared to let him out of my sight again!

HUGS Tiki - get well soon!

RedHedd
11-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Wow poor Tiki. Sounds like he did use up at least part of one of his nine lives. He's a lucky cat to have you as his meowmie. Gentle hugs and prayers going out for a speedy and complete recovery

kimlovescats
11-11-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm glad he survived such an awful injury!!! I'd sure have a hard time ever letting him back outside! :( I hope he continues to heal!

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow! How scary!!!:eek: I'm so glad that he was found in time and that you work at a vets office so he could get the help he needed asap. I hope he recovers quickly. Will he be an indoor only cat now?

Freedom
11-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Oh my gosh! That is some story, I am SO glad he made it home to you and the care he so desperately needed! That must have taken a lot of determination on his part, and obviously he trusts you to take care of him. I would never be able to let him out doors again except on a leash!

By the way, as I read some of the comments, I was wondering. If that had been my cat - or anyone who did not work for a vet - then if we rushed in like you did, a vet would still take the emergency, right?

Growing up, we had blue jays nesting in a tree which hung over the back patio. When they had babies in the nests, they routinely dive bombed anyone who ventured on the patio. Our full sized collie wandered into the "war zone" one day and couldn't seem to get herself out of there with 5 birds attacking. My younger brother, about age 7 at the time, went out with a sauce pan on his head to get her! Ha ha.

So a larger bird of prey could have been the attacker in this case.

Get Well, Tiki!!

rg_girlca
11-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Poor Tiki. Oh I had shivers up and down my spine reading what happened to him. THANK GOODNESS that you work at a vets office and were able to get treatment right away for him.

Big time prayers on the way for Tiki that he has a full and speedy recovery.

Please keep us posted on his condition.

AbbyMom
11-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh my! Poor Tiki. What a frightening story and amazing, too. Sending healing thoughts his way.

orangemm
11-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Tiki honey, please get well soon! And, please stay INSIDE; it's too dangerous outside. Poor baby, you were very lucky.............. :(

catmandu
11-11-2006, 07:24 PM
That sounds like an Owl too, as that is where it would have tried to pick Tiki up.
The Pet Angels are coming over to lecture Tiki, in the fact that the life of an indoor Cat has an awful lot to recommend it.
Thank God for Tikis narrow escape.

lv4dogs
11-12-2006, 02:18 PM
If that had been my cat - or anyone who did not work for a vet - then if we rushed in like you did, a vet would still take the emergency, right?

By all means, a reputable vet would be squeezing you in for an emergency without any hesitation.

I know I'll probably get some angry feelings for this but I am being honest. Tiki will continue to be an indoor/outdoor cat. As some may know from previous posts I have tried to keep Tiki (and Meko) as inside only cats for a long long time, over & over again to no avail. They are both rescued ferals & although they love me & trust me I can not keep them inside. They litterally tears my screens apart & Meko even managed to get out the CLOSED GLASS window THREE different times. They tear up my doors, door & window frames, the carpets near the doors, they meow (and scream) at all hours of the day & night, tear apart the carpets near the doors, and even so, besides all the physical damage they get depressed & mean tempered and worst of all, infact my biggest problem of them all is they dart out the door despite any water guns, shaker jars. Heck Tiki has already managed to partially dart out the door twice today even with his cone on his head. (don't worry he's back in the spare bedroom confinement safe & sound) I just thought I'd give him a chance to stretch his legs & visit us in the rest of the house, that didn't work. lol

They really are a lot happier and besides an accident like this they are extrememly healthy. I've tried many different ways to keep them inside, I"ve spoken to many different vets, trainers & behavorists as well as many cat & pet people & I don't think there is anything I have not tried. I live far back off the road and my cats never wander to far.

Barbara
11-12-2006, 02:59 PM
I would never blame you for letting Tiki outside.

I hope though that while he's healing up he gets used a little more to living inside.

That was a very scary experience for both of you. He was lucky that you knew immediately what to do- he should now be named Lucky Tiki. Hope he's better soon.

Catty1
11-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I didn't remember that about Tiki and Meko. It is a wild animal that got him, so that is better than a car! Good thing you are well back.

I don't suppose a large cat run will work any better...but I hope both your babies have long and safe lives!

How is Tiki doing now? (Obviously feels well enough to roar out the door! :D )

momcat
11-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Poor little Tiki! That must have been some encounter he experienced. I'm so happy to know he's on the mend, prayers are being prayed for a complete and quick recovery!
Please know that I do understand your decision to let him continue being an indoor/outdoor kitty. Some things just can't be changed especially if Tiki has always been allowed to go outside. Maybe he'll be a bit more alert and aware of his surroundings now when he's outside.
Would you give Tiki some get well scritchies and smoochies from me?

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-13-2006, 03:31 AM
OMG poor Tiki!!! What a good thing that our cats have 9 lives....!!

Good luck with Tiki's recovery!!

lv4dogs
11-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the understanding folks.
Tiki will be confined to the inside (the spare bedroom since he darts out the door) for 1 more week as he needs to continue to get his antibiotics. He is going back to the vets tomorrow so they can listen to his lungs & the like, hopefully the remainder of his stitches can come out too. I took a couple out last night but there were a few that needed to stay in a couple/few more days. Other than that he is doing great.

Catty, I posted about keeping them in when I first got them, then again when my old neighbor had problems with them and again when he had more problems with them (jumping on his truck which got re-poed by the way lol).

Tiki's getting scritches from everyone tonight, he'll be in heaven. lol

Catty1
11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
AHHH - I remember the truck idiot! SERVES HIM RIGHT!!! :D :D :D

lv4dogs
11-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Just letting everyone know that Tiki is doing GREAT! He's even staying inside more often (his choice, I still can't keep him in 24/7 but we're getting there). He's also more lovable than ever, if that was even possible. lol

krazyaboutkatz
11-29-2006, 12:24 AM
This is great news.:) I've also found that my cats seem to be much more loving after they've been sick and I've had to nurse them back to health. I think that it helps to form a stronger bond with them. They really do appreciate everything you do to make them feel better and become healthy again.:)