PDA

View Full Version : Duke's Prognosis*Not Good

dukedogsmom
11-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Duke's health has changed drastically just since Thursday. He only ate half his can of food last night and has been drooping his tail. I had to work last night but came home and checked on him at 2 this morning. His back legs weren't working properly and his breathing had gotten labored. When I got home this morning, I was taking him up the driveway to get the paper. He usually gets really excited about it. The first thing that alarned me was he took a potty right on the driveway.Then on the way back, just layed down. I stood in the driveway and sobbed. I don't want to say goodbye. I just got back from the vet. He's 80-90% sure that Duke has lung cancer. A biopsy would take at least 4 days and the vet was concerned about quality of life, as am I. I am going to spend the weekend with him and see if I can get him to eat chicken. Unless a miracle occurs, I'm having the vet come to my house on Monday afternoon to put him to sleep. My heart is breaking and my world is shattered.

borzoimom
11-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Duke's health has changed drastically just since Thursday. He only ate half his can of food last night and has been drooping his tail. I had to work last night but came home and checked on him at 2 this morning. His back legs weren't working properly and his breathing had gotten labored. When I got home this morning, I was taking him up the driveway to get the paper. He usually gets really excited about it. The first thing that alarned me was he took a potty right on the driveway.Then on the way back, just layed down. I stood in the driveway and sobbed. I don't want to say goodbye. I just got back from the vet. He's 80-90% sure that Duke has lung cancer. A biopsy would take at least 4 days and the vet was concerned about quality of life, as am I. I am going to spend the weekend with him and see if I can get him to eat chicken. Unless a miracle occurs, I'm having the vet come to my house on Monday afternoon to put him to sleep. My heart is breaking and my world is shattered.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh baby I know the story. maybe a vet visit could help here? I am at a loss for words here... I see you already did the biopsy- it does take time.
Make a list- what he wants to do and likes it- you will know its time as the list stops..
Now=- sometimes they have off days. I have one that has worried me several times, but I can see his eyes, he is here, but just wants a day off... Next day- he is back.
I am here.. I am sorry but maybe it was just a bad day... They have those you know, just like we do! Meanwhile both of you are in my prayers !

Jods
11-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I am so saddened by this post I really hope it was just an off day as suggested above. Prayers on the way for Duke. GET WELL SOON DUKE!

Karen
11-11-2006, 09:11 AM
You and Duke will be in my prayers, we hope he gets hungry soon, and feels better.

JenBKR
11-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Oh no, my heart is breaking for you. Let's all pray for a miracle for Duke! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....

trayi52
11-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Val, prayers are on the way for you and Duke. I really hope the prognosis is wrong about Duke, and he starts to feel better this weekend.

Willie

Alysser
11-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I've been praying for you guys since I saw that post in the prayer thread that it wasn't cancer. I'm so sorry to here of this. I can't believe it. I've always enjoyed seeing pictures of handsome Duke. He was a favorite PT dog of mine. :( I'm here praying for a miracle.

anna_66
11-11-2006, 09:18 AM
:( Oh Val I know how you've been dreading this time in Duke's life. I remember when Angus starting having more bad days than good. It's so hard.

I'm just hoping that he still has some more good days left in him. Enjoy what time you have together. We'll all be here for you when it's time.

Sending you many (((Hugs)))
Anna

Argranade
11-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Oh dear little Duke please get better your human still needs your company around and loves you to peices, I just pray little Duke will turn to a brighter side and start to eat and run around just like before.

Im so sorry Val, all I can do is say a prayer for your big boy and hope that works because prayers, hopes, good thoughts & loving hearts is all that we have but the most important thing is for you to have faith.

I have seen this work for other animals and I hope same goes for Duke. :(

lv4dogs
11-11-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh Val, I am so sorry. I'll be hoping for a miracle for our sweet Duke & you. hugs to yous.

Dorothy39
11-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Reading your up date , on your Duke, brought me to a stand still~

I will Keep HIM and You in my thoughts and Prayers~

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2006, 09:52 AM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif
Hi God ~

We're havin a problem down here onna Durt Ball ...
We're just not sure what to be paryin for.

Pore ole Duke is kinda sayin he might be reddy fur a career change ...
he'd be good at Therapy or Kat Sittin at the Bridge ...
but we're not sure he's really reddy to go ...

Momma Val is so wurried he may be sufferin --- an he's jest not tellin ...
Maybe You kuld fly down here an have a lil *chat* wiff Duke an his Mom?

She'll go along wiff whatever Plan You suggest - but she'd like to know what it is.

Please do Your Best, God, to make Duke's weekend a Joyful one ...

Thanks, God.

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Bengalz
11-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Val,

Sending lot of prayers for Duke that he has some good days left to enjoy. Also many hugs and prayers for you to have the strength to enjoy those days with him.

Betty

Husky15
11-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I am in tears right now. My heart is breaking for you. I always liked you as member, you always had good advice and comforting words to say and Duke is such a cutie. I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and Duke that he will get better and many hugs sent your way.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Lots of prayers on the way for you and Duke!!! :(

Vela
11-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Val I am so sorry to see this. I hadn't realized his health had gone downhill again, I am just now seeing it. My prayers are with you and Duke and I pray that if the inevitable happens God gives you the strength to get through it, and he will be met there by many loved ones. I know Corinna will look after him for you and he will be well loved there too. This has been a heartbreaking year for so many, I don't want to see this happen to you as well. My prayers and thoughts are with you both.

molucass
11-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Oh no Val.. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope he starts feeling better.

Many ((Hugs)) to you and very gentle hugs to sweet man Duke.

labmomma
11-11-2006, 11:03 AM
My heart goes out to you and Duke is in my thoughts and prayers. I had to put Mandy to sleep due to aggressive cancer. She was 14 years old and had a great life. Bless you.
Labmomma X 2

pitc9
11-11-2006, 11:05 AM
LES.... :(
Val, I love Duke and it hurts me so much to know what a hard time you are going through right now.
No one wants to go through what you are going through right now.

Why do they touch our live so deeply....... then leave so soon.

How can we go on once they are gone? :( We can go on because we find the strength that they gave us when they were here on earth with us and knowing that they are no longer hurting and/or are in pain helps us wake up each morning. They may no longer be with us in the flesh but we know they are there with us everyday of our lives until we see them again.
I wish I could put my arms around you right now Val!!
I'd tell you that Duke loves you and thanks you for the wonderful life you've given him.
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Prayers for you both.

lizbud
11-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Oh Valerie, I am so sorry to hear Duke is having such a bad time right
now. :( I know how much you love that big guy, and believe me, WE do
too. I will keep you both in my prayers for better days to come.Please
keep us updated on how things go the next few days. (((Hugs))) Liz.

Chilli
11-11-2006, 11:26 AM
My heart is breaking for you. :(
Duke has always looked like such a sweet, happy boy.. I can't even begin to imagine how its like to see him in such shape.
Major (((((HUGS))))) to you, and a gentle one for Duke.
Positive thoughts headed your way for your boy.

Please keep us updated, I'll check back to this thread later.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I will keep Duke in my thoughts.

.sarah
11-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I am so sorry Valerie. I'll be thinking of you two.

cyber-sibes
11-11-2006, 11:43 AM
((((hugs)))) Val, you & Duke are in my prayers. Hopefully he'll recover a bit & have a little more time with you. :( If it's time, Duke will let you know. Will keep watching this thread and praying for good news.

shais_mom
11-11-2006, 11:44 AM
it just stinks that they don't live as long as we do :(
I'm so sorry Val. I will be thinking of you.

Uabassoon
11-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Val I'm so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with you.

Cincy'sMom
11-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry to hear Duke is not doing well. Lots of prayers for you both

binka_nugget
11-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm sorry Val :( I know how much you love your boy.. my heart is breaking for you and Duke. Please give that handsome boy a big hug for me.

*Hugs* :(

kimlovescats
11-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I am very sorry to hear this news! :(

Kim

tatsxxx11
11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Tears began to fall the moment I heard the news, Val:( Duke has always held a very, very special place in my heart and oh, I know he means the world to you:( I wish there were words to comfort you but I know, we all know there are none. Just remember we love him and you, that we're here for you. I will be keeping you both in my prayers, hoping beyond hope for a miracle, for a bit more time for you and your best friend. Please give him a big hug and kiss for me. Sending you my love and support, Val. I'm heartbroken:(:(:(
Sandra and Star

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Val, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.:( You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Randi
11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Val, I'm so sorry to hear of Duke's problems. :( I really hope he'll feel better over the weekend! If not, I know you will do all you can to make him comfortable and feel how loved he is, and he will let you know when it's time. Still, it's the hardest decision we have to make. :(

I am sending lots of good thoughts to Duke and you.

((((hugs))))

Cataholic
11-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I had to pass over this thread initially, as I am in such a fragile state right now. I came back to it as I know you need the strenght, and the knowledge that many are praying for you and Duke. This is such a sad time, and I know your love and devotion will see you both through. Somehow. :(

prechrswife
11-11-2006, 01:46 PM
So sorry... :(

CathyBogart
11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh Duke, you have had such a long and good life with your mom. We will all be so heartbroken if it's time for you to go.

rg_girlca
11-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh Val, my heart is breaking for you as I know how much you love your Duke. He is your beloved companion, your world.

This is one of the hardest decisions that we animal lovers must go through. :(

Prayers on the way for sweet Duke and ((((((HUGS)))))) for you.

dukedogsmom
11-11-2006, 03:11 PM
My Dearest Duke,
As I run my hands over your fur, I try to memorize the feeling. Your fur is soaked with my tears. I try to forget, if just for a moment, what is happening but your breathing and some coughs won't let me. I hope you know just how very much I love you. I would do anything I could for you. I would gladly take your illness and make it mine so you could live. But then, you would feel my pain. I always knew this day would come but I would always think it would be tomorrow. Did you know that you were the dog that made me become a dog person? Before that, I was a cat person. And thank goodness your brother jumped up and kissed me on the lips or it would have been him I was taking home. I would have missed out on so much. You are the most special dog and I will always treasure our time together. I curse the illness that's taking you from me. When it's your time, a part of me dies with you. I love you, sweet baby dog. You'll forever be in my heart and I will long for the day until we can be together again.

slleipnir
11-11-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm so sorry Val. I don't even know what else to say that could possibly comfort you....

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2006, 03:22 PM
My Dearest Duke,

You are the most special dog and I will always treasure our time together.

I love you, sweet baby dog.
You'll forever be in my heart ...

He knows, Val ... he knows.

{{{Hugs}}}

:(

gemini9961
11-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Val, my sincerest prayers are with you and Duke. Take care of him and yourself.

Duke, we all love you handsome boy.

Prairie Purrs
11-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Hoping for a miracle that'll give you and your precious boy some more time together . . .

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Val, I am so sorry. :(

I don't think there is anything I can say that will comfort you at this time. I could tell through all of your posts and such about Duke how much he means to you.

Prayers and good thoughts are being sent your way!!!

slick
11-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I saw this thread first thing this morning but couldn't bring myself to post. My eyes started leaking right away and now as I read the responses and your last post, I have LES all over again. :( It's funny, but even though we have not met, I can feel the pain that prevails. I too, know how hard of a decision it is and how difficult it is to let go and say good-bye.

Val, please know that my prayers are coming out to you right now and I'll light a candle for Duke. :( :(

Big {{{hugs}}} to you
xoxoxo

Logan
11-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Dear Valerie,

Your words are a testament to that special bond between dogs and their best friends. Your Duke and you have that special bond, and I think we all have loved him since we met him here on Pet Talk.

You've had a rough few weeks and I am so sorry. Please know that you are in our thoughts and our prayers on every issue that you are dealing with right now.

Logan

chocolatepuppy
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm so sorry Val. :( I will keep you and Duke in my thoughts and prayers. {{{hugs}}}

caseysmom
11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Val, You know how I feel about your sweet boy, I have never met him but I just love him so much. Like everyone has said he knows how much you love him, you are doing all that is humanly possible. I pray it isn't his time yet.

K9soul
11-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Oh Val... :( I hurt so deeply for you. I will light a candle tonight for Duke. There has been so much sadness lately, I did not think my heart could break any more than it already has.. but it feels like it's breaking all over again as I read this post. Dear Val, you and Duke are in my prayers, my thoughts, my heart. How I wish I could do more. Please give Duke some gentle kisses for me. We are all here for you Val, as you walk this most difficult and painful path.

Love, Jess

caseysmom
11-11-2006, 05:08 PM
I am going to light a candle for Duke tonight too, what a nice idea.

jazzcat
11-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Val I am so sorry. You and Duke are in my thoughts and prayers.

Giselle
11-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Oh dear, I just saw this thread :( I'm hoping there will be a miracle for you and your precious boy. And if not, I hope you can gain happiness in knowing that you provided Duke with everlasting love and that he will always find ways to repay you. Come life or death, your bond with Duke shall never break. It will only strengthen with the knowledge that your lives were both blessed by each other.

wolf_Q
11-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Val, I am so sorry to hear this news. I know that Duke means so much to you, and he's very special to all of us as well. I'm hoping for the best, but if this is his time to go, remember that he lived a long, wonderful life with you, and he knows how much you love him. {{hugs}}

Soapets
11-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers from Nebraska............................

Pam
11-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm just seeing this now and I am so sorry Val. Part of the magic of Pet Talk is that we all feel so close to the pets here that it is almost as if they are one of our very own. Duke truly is "one of ours" and we grieve with you that he is declining like this. (((Hugs))) for you and gentle (((Hugs))) for Duke. :(

luvofallhorses
11-11-2006, 06:09 PM
oh no! :( my heart dropped when I saw this. I am so, so very sorry, Val. :( Just cherish the time you have with him now.
I will say a prayer for you and Duke and you both will be in my thoughts. hang in there.
(((HUGS to the both of you)))

Daisy and Delilah
11-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Dear Val and Duke,

I wish with all my heart that there was something I could say right now to comfort both of you and make all this terrible news go away. As long as I've been a member of this community, I have felt the love you have for this precious boy. I know what this is doing to you. I know you're numb. You've been through so much. I can only tell you that I'll pray as hard as I can to bring a miracle here for you and this gentle soul. Dear God, please make Duke well so he can be here with his Mom awhile longer. My heart breaks for you both. :( {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Love, Terry

caseysmom
11-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I have two candles lit tonight, side by side. One is for Corinna in her memory, since it the day of her memorial. One is for our precious Duke so that his candle can keep burning for all of us, but especially for his mom.

AdoreMyDogs
11-11-2006, 09:56 PM
I am so very sorry, Val. I wouldn't wish the pain of losing a beloved pet to even my worst enemy. This is the time in all animal friendships that we all dread the most, especially those of us who happen to have our heart animals, our soul mate furangels, in our lives.

Graham will welcome your dear boy, should this truly be his time. I pray for your strength and your comfort during this heart-breaking experience. Duke will always be with you and he will always know what an amazing furmom you have been. He will be your angel for the rest of your days, until you two meet again.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please try to have a good day tomorrow with him and try to focus on the good times. He will be in good hands when it's his time to leave this earth.

catnapper
11-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh Val, I am sitting here in tears. Duke has always been a favorite of mine..... prayers and gentle hugs sent for Duke from Nicki and me.

dukedogsmom
11-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Thank you all so much. Your words are of so much comfort to me. I have spent the day with uncontrollable sobbing. However, I must share something with you. Duke and I were sharing the bed that Corinna made him (bless her), along with his favorite blanket. I was as close to him as I could get, petting him and trying not to cry. I was drifting off to sleep when this wave of peacefulness washed over me. Gone was the heartbreaking sadness and urge to sob. I layed there thinking how strange it was. A few minutes later, another wave. I petted Duke and begged for that peacefulness to be passed onto him. He's restless and just sleeps for short times, with a little coughing. I'm not going to make him wait until Monday afternoon. It's not fair to him. I'm crying now but it's so much less than all day today. So, maybe I did get my PT miracle, just not the one I would have really liked, which would be to have Duke well. Thanks for all the prayers. It's so good to know that so many people love my Duke.

petslover
11-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I would like for you to know that you and Duke are in my thoughts and prayers. This post just broke my heart. I know how much Duke means to you and I am just so sorry you are going through this. Miracles are possible.

CathyBogart
11-11-2006, 11:16 PM
You've been in my thoughts since I saw this thread and posted earlier today. It's so hard to think about, Duke has always been a favorite of mine too. He couldn't have asked for a better mom than you Val, and I'm so sorry he has to go too soon.

caseysmom
11-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Just hold him close, breath in his smell and tell him you love him.

PJ's Mom
11-11-2006, 11:46 PM
I read this thread earlier today but couldn't bring myself to post.

Val you know Duke has always been one of my all-time favorite PT dogs. My heart breaks for you and the sorrow you will be facing. I know you will do what's best for your boy. Please give him gentle hugs and kisses from me.

:(

DJFyrewolf36
11-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I wish I knew what to say...I feel like I know Duke from all of your wonderful posts about him. I wish I could hug him and tell him that his mom loves him very much and a lot of people on PT love him very much, even though they may have not met him in person.

My prayers are with you and Duke.

Fyrewolf

cloverfdx
11-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Oh Valerie my heart is breaking for you. Duke has always had a special place in my heart aswell, and i loved reading about his adventures. You will be in my thoughts {{Hugs}}. Our Penny will be given her angel wings Monday morning so if it is Dukes time they may cross to the RB together *Tears*.

K9karen
11-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Thank you, Val, for keeping your promise and taking the photo of Duke in your signature.

I'm so sorry..I wish there was more I could have said to you over the phone. I feel and know your pain, my dear friend.

Klo and I love Duke so much. We know that he is the dog of your life and can never be replaced. He loves you as much as you love him. Your bond will always be unbreakable.

Please hug and kiss our sweet darling, and know I will always be here for you.

Lilith Cherry
11-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Oh Val, I am heartbroken for you.... loving thoughts and prayers from China.

ChrisH
11-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Oh, Val, tears are flowing as I write. My heart breaks for you. Sorry, I can't write anymore right now.

Catty1
11-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Val - I have experienced that 'wave of peace' in other circumstances. The pastor at my church told me that it was 'God speaking'(even though it was silence).

I have been amazed at the power of PT prayers here...and so glad you have felt some peace.

HUGS to you - I don't know you or Duke well. But I have two furkids, one of them my heartcat...and I feel for you.

Bless you and Duke. Give him a hug for me.

And hugs to you too.

k9krazee
11-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I am so sorry Val, I know how much he means to you. You and Duke will be in my thoughts ((((Hugs))))

lizbud
11-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Thinking of you and Duke this morning & wishing peace for you both.
You are still in my prayers.

CountryWolf07
11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh Val..

*hugs*

Just hold him close; I know it's going to be hard.. I know how much he means to you. Thinking of you.

dukedogsmom
11-12-2006, 10:41 AM
He's gone. I couldn't let him suffer any more. K9karen will be starting his memorial thread. I'm devastated but there's no more worry in my heart because I know I did the right thing for him. I'll never forget him.

caseysmom
11-12-2006, 10:45 AM
No Val you won't ever forget him, he will live in your heart forever. I am so sorry, its rough but you did the right thing.

I miss you sweet boy, run free at the bridge.

slick
11-12-2006, 11:01 AM
:( :( Val, we all cry with you. We all feel your pain.

RIP sweet Duke. I woke up this morning and you were first on my mind. Your job here on earth looking after Mommy is done and now you can embark on new adventures at the RB.

{{{hugs}}}

cyber-sibes
11-12-2006, 11:03 AM
(((((hugs))))
Val, bless you for helping him not to be in pain anymore. I had to do this with my heartcat of 17 years last Dec., it is the hardest thing in the world...but the peace you felt let you know it was the right time. I'm so sorry for the loss of one so dear to you. :(

Danegirl2208
11-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Val, i am so sorry to hear the news :( ....i know i havent posted much on this thread but you HAVE been in my thoughts and prayers...((Hugs)) you did the right thing hun, he'll wait for you at the bridge.. Run free Duke

gini
11-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Val, my heart goes out to you so much. I think dealing with a sick "heart pet" is one of the most difficult things I have had to face in life.

All of us here understand your pain so well and wish we could find a way to ease it.

Duke will always be with you and your giving him his freedom and a pain free life at the Bridge is the kindest, most selfless thing you could have done.

Pembroke_Corgi
11-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I am so sorry. It is so hard to say goodbye to those we love, and Duke was very very loved. :(

molucass
11-12-2006, 12:35 PM
My heart just sank when I saw that he was gone.. I know how much he meant to you and that no matter what, nothing will make it easier.

Rest in Peace Duke.. You were always one of my favorite boys on here, and I loved seeing your pictures and hearing stories about you!

Run free sweet boy.

trayi52
11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh, Val, I'm so sorry to hear about Duke. I know you done the right thing for him, and know you are going to miss him terribly. He was one of my favorite here at Pet Talk, and I am going to miss seeing him around. :(

Rest in peace, dear sweet Duke.

Willie :(

Karen
11-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I'll close this thread, so people can post in Duke's Memorial thread, which is here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1662097#post1662097)